Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The first episode was alright, but it was also pretty standard first episode Get The Gundam so it's hard to tell yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure me and Gripweed are the only people who regularly post who love Victory. If consensus has shifted on it it is towards it being okay rather than becoming good.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Nuebot posted:

Did people turn around on Victory or something? When I posted about watching it this thread was all about how poo poo it was.

Well, if you watched I suppose you can see some reasons why people might dislike it, but it is also one of the shows that dragged around a hyperbolically bad reputation similar to ZZ. Just need more people to try it and/or reevaluate, since it is good.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
ZZ is good, Victory is also good but dragged down by the misogyny and gender essentialism

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chrome line posted:

Uso is very well adjusted considering how much he suffers

Unreasonably well adjusted, to be honest.

On the one end, you get someone like Loran who goes through some bad situations, shakes a bit, but he levels out and gets through things without major damage. On the other end, you have guys like Kamille and (outside of Gundam) Shinji who get a nonstop shitstorm and build up into a full on traumatic crash before any recovery is possible.

Uso, meanwhile, goes through the following cycle:

1) Uso goes out pretty well adjusted.

2) Something absurdly traumatic happens.

3) Something absurdly traumatic happens.

4) Something absurdly traumatic happens.

5) Uso freaks out.

6) Uso levels out.

7) Uso is feeling fine, ready for another day of absurd trauma.

It makes the constant horrible events feel much more ridiculous when things like carrying around his mother's severed head give Uso less lingering issue than Amuro got from, say, seeing a stranger try to kill him and die.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

Unreasonably well adjusted, to be honest.

On the one end, you get someone like Loran who goes through some bad situations, shakes a bit, but he levels out and gets through things without major damage. On the other end, you have guys like Kamille and (outside of Gundam) Shinji who get a nonstop shitstorm and build up into a full on traumatic crash before any recovery is possible.

Uso, meanwhile, goes through the following cycle:

1) Uso goes out pretty well adjusted.

2) Something absurdly traumatic happens.

3) Something absurdly traumatic happens.

4) Something absurdly traumatic happens.

5) Uso freaks out.

6) Uso levels out.

7) Uso is feeling fine, ready for another day of absurd trauma.

It makes the constant horrible events feel much more ridiculous when things like carrying around his mother's severed head give Uso less lingering issue than Amuro got from, say, seeing a stranger try to kill him and die.

Uso is more well adjusted than is reasonable to expect, but he's still pretty hosed up by the end of the show. He's not exactly a happy go lucky kid by the end of things!

StormC
Nov 15, 2023

SCHEDULED RENEGADE

chrome line posted:

ZZ is good, Victory is also good but dragged down by the misogyny and gender essentialism
Victory in general feels like a weird fever dream, by the time the women in bikinis launch rockets at the Gundam you wonder if Tomino is just really that far gone or taking the piss

It's certainly an interesting show if nothing else, especially considering G Gundam came out the next year, talk about a tonal swing

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

all i know about V is that it has bathtubs, bikinis and bikers.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Show quality aside the Victory and the V2 are some of the best looking MS ever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Nuebot posted:

Did people turn around on Victory or something? When I posted about watching it this thread was all about how poo poo it was.

man I have been pro-Victory since I first watched it ages ago. That's the problem, most of the anti-Victory sentiment is just old "common knowledge" that Victory is bad. But if you watch it you find out it's good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm pretty sure me and Gripweed are the only people who regularly post who love Victory. If consensus has shifted on it it is towards it being okay rather than becoming good.

I've defended Victory in this thread for like half a decade.

I will say that it's absolutely not a show for everyone, and I understand people who don't like it - provided that they don't like it based on trying to watch it and bouncing off, as opposed to not liking it because they saw a clip of the bikini bazooka scene and went "lol tomino be crazy!".

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Victory was fine. It's pretty solidly in my "eh, maybe" category for a rewatch. I just hated Chronicle a lot for being absolutely dull, the rest of my issues with it come down a lot on the side of how the show handles it's female cast and that does get offputting in places. Also not a fan of how they did my boy Odelo. I'll agree that it's an interesting watch and I've recced it to folks with the "hey it may not be for you" warning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Victory is probably near the top of my list for "Gundam series that would be better with maybe half the episode count." (Which is to be fair almost all Gundam series.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Victory might be one of the only series I'd have liked to be longer. I'd have loved to see them out in space exploring the semi independent colonies or getting up to covert action on the moon.

Victory has a fascinating world state, almost Foundation like with the crumbling periphery that still has enough advanced technology to enforce its dominance but is quickly losing that edge. But we don't get a lot of time to see it

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kanos posted:

I've defended Victory in this thread for like half a decade.

I will say that it's absolutely not a show for everyone, and I understand people who don't like it - provided that they don't like it based on trying to watch it and bouncing off, as opposed to not liking it because they saw a clip of the bikini bazooka scene and went "lol tomino be crazy!".

I mean, I would completely understand if someone swore off Victory entirely just by watching the Lupe bathtub scene with Uso

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Victory isn't bad like Destiny or AGE. It's just not very fun/enjoyable to watch on the whole, the absurd bits and tonally bizarre characters and scripting make it very uneven at times to watch. It's flat out kinda mean. I watched the entire thing and I just don't see revisiting it. It's not unworthy of watching or something you would do best to avoid, but I'd agree its going to get a mixed reception. Everyone will have their own sentiment about it whether they like it or dislike it. The studio editing for the first few episodes is a rough start too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My general experience is that commercial properties with interesting settings getting extensions often don't really explore the setting much further in favor of generally doing more of what they were already doing, even if they have to rehash the central conflict somehow. Tomino might not have done that with a longer run but I also dunno that he would have really poked around the interesting parts that much more given his feelings at the time.

Maybe if you had dozens of writers hopping on to do series set in that part of the timeline and adding their own secret Zanscare aces.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hogama posted:

My general experience is that commercial properties with interesting settings getting extensions often don't really explore the setting much further in favor of generally doing more of what they were already doing, even if they have to rehash the central conflict somehow. Tomino might not have done that with a longer run but I also dunno that he would have really poked around the interesting parts that much more given his feelings at the time.

Maybe if you had dozens of writers hopping on to do series set in that part of the timeline and adding their own secret Zanscare aces.

I think Victory did do a good job exploring the setting in an elliptical sense, so I think an extension would've went further with exploring new areas of the setting without wasting time reiterating the stuff they've already covered. It's one of the best things about Tomino's work is his conviction in his work and faith in the audience so that he is confident in tossing off some vital details and letting people figure poo poo out for themselves.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Victory isn't bad like Destiny or AGE. It's just not very fun/enjoyable to watch on the whole, the absurd bits and tonally bizarre characters and scripting make it very uneven at times to watch. It's flat out kinda mean. I watched the entire thing and I just don't see revisiting it. It's not unworthy of watching or something you would do best to avoid, but I'd agree its going to get a mixed reception. Everyone will have their own sentiment about it whether they like it or dislike it. The studio editing for the first few episodes is a rough start too.

Even if you don't like the characters or themes it's got some great fights, absolutely peak fight choreography for Gundam

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The most notable locations in Victory are the solar power station and the cool underwater city. I would've liked to have seen more like the latter.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't forget the Space Ramp

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Having just finished Victory it's absolutely one of my top ranked gundam series but you also absolutely need to have seen enough Tomino era gundam shows for the misogyny to wash over you as a familiar experience and not wild diversions of a deranged mind. Also seconding it as having some of the best fights and animation in the entire series.

Chronicle is the bottom-tierest Char though. As pathetic as Jerid with none of the charm. Just an absolute nothing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've seen the entire original Tomino run so I should be good on that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GodFish posted:

Having just finished Victory it's absolutely one of my top ranked gundam series but you also absolutely need to have seen enough Tomino era gundam shows for the misogyny to wash over you as a familiar experience and not wild diversions of a deranged mind. Also seconding it as having some of the best fights and animation in the entire series.

Chronicle is the bottom-tierest Char though. As pathetic as Jerid with none of the charm. Just an absolute nothing.

He has the funniest death in the franchise though

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

*splat*

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Tomino is wrong and the fanon theory about Uso being Char's great-grandson would be a cool bit of world building actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God no. Not everyone needs to be related to someone important.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I do not believe for a second Char fathered a child

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I also don't believe this, but I do enjoy imagining Char trying to be a dad. Very fun mental image there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

Tomino is wrong and the fanon theory about Uso being Char's great-grandson would be a cool bit of world building actually.

How was it writing Rise of the Skywalker

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

chrome line posted:

I also don't believe this, but I do enjoy imagining Char trying to be a dad. Very fun mental image there.

"YOUR MOTHER COULD'VE BECOME A MOTHER TO ME!!!"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gaius Marius posted:

Somehow, Zeon has returned.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

Imagine being killed by a thud and a cut to commercial break.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I bet some Bandai C-suite exec pitched Suletta being related to either Amuro or Char

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Would be weird because it's a different continuity

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah the only alternate continuity that should have a charmuro baby is in Birdie Wing.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Arc Hammer posted:

Uso doesn't suffer nearly as much mentally as other pilots but he is often very confused at his enemies tactics.

It's been a while so I don't remember the specifics but it felt like there were 10-15 episodes in the middle around when his mom gets killed where every episode ended with Uso crying to credits. The whole show has a manic depressive vibe but I love the suits and it has the cutest sidekick kid gaggle in Gundam. Love Shakti, Karloman, and Flanders. Also Uso's VA is pretty good at shouting / crying (the middle of Victory is the best part).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Back in the day there was a massive hate parade making GBS threads on Shakti. Poor girl just wanted the fighting to stop

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I still say Marbet Fingerhat is severely underrated on the weird Gundam name rankings.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
It's a legit last name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Waffleman_ posted:

I do not believe for a second Char fathered a child

Not that I'm pro "Uso is Char's great grandson", but could however totally buy Char having shitloads of illegtimate children everywhere.