Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Air Skwirl posted:

I genuinely believe it should be illegal for a business to not accept cash,

lol why

Seriously, I'm curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Step 1: Turn on your webcam.

Step 2: Turn off your monitor

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Platystemon posted:

I propose canceling Andrew Tate for having an eating disorder, which is woke and unmanly.

:stare: I read the post before I saw who posted it, and went "Uhh, yeah, this just kinda sounds like rationalizing an eating disorder."

...! posted:

lol why

Seriously, I'm curious

I assume for folks who only get paid in cash or for like, pan-handlers and the like. I mean, it's legal tender, isn't it? :shrug:

Some places downtown around here don't take cash, which to me is just a politer way of saying "Hoboes not welcome".

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 04:42 on Nov 15, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Skios posted:

It gets even funnier, thanks to community notes:

:allears:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Fellas, is it gay to eat?

I felt the same way back when I was deeply depressed so I hope he's going thru the same thing or worse

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Read After Burning posted:

:stare: I read the post before I saw who posted it, and went "Uhh, yeah, this just kinda sounds like rationalizing an eating disorder."

I assume for folks who only get paid in cash or for like, pan-handlers and the like. I mean, it's legal tender, isn't it? :shrug:

Some places downtown around here don't take cash, which to me is just a politer way of saying "Hoboes not welcome".

"Legal tender" doesn't mean that anybody (other than the government) is required to take it as payment. And for many businesses cash is a genuine pain in the rear end to deal with.

Edit: straight from the US government itself:

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

...! posted:

"Legal tender" doesn't mean that anybody (other than the government) is required to take it as payment. And for many businesses cash is a genuine pain in the rear end to deal with.

Edit: straight from the US government itself:

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Legal tender literally means that it must be accepted if offered in payment of a debt. That doesn't extend to purchases, it's not required, but its actual purpose is to serve as a guaranteed to be accepted medium of transaction. That's what the term means.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tokin opposition posted:

I felt the same way back when I was deeply depressed so I hope he's going thru the same thing or worse

Same, depression can make you just hate the eternal daily drudge of fueling your body.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if easy zero fee checking accounts were a thing no cash should be a thing.

though I still think there's value on having an almost anonymous transaction.

aslo the worst thing about Oglaf is the comics have no dates on them so I have to guess where in the archive I last left off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

...! posted:

lol why

Seriously, I'm curious

Everything being a credit card purchase increases the surveillance state, it disenfranchises the homeless and people who work cash jobs, like house cleaners, day laborers, illegal immigrants working under the table so they don't get deported. Also, when I waited tables it was just way easier for me to keep track of my spending if I just left a certain amount of money in my wallet and told myself "this is what you can spend on eating out this weekend" and there were a couple times where I hadn't deposited my tips in the bank so I would have tons of cash and no money in my bank account.

Also there's that little note to the left of George Washington's head.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PhazonLink posted:

if easy zero fee checking accounts were a thing no cash should be a thing.

though I still think there's value on having an almost anonymous transaction.

aslo the worst thing about Oglaf is the comics have no dates on them so I have to guess where in the archive I last left off.

Use bookmarks or search your history?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

Everything being a credit card purchase increases the surveillance state, it disenfranchises the homeless and people who work cash jobs, like house cleaners, day laborers, illegal immigrants working under the table so they don't get deported. Also, when I waited tables it was just way easier for me to keep track of my spending if I just left a certain amount of money in my wallet and told myself "this is what you can spend on eating out this weekend" and there were a couple times where I hadn't deposited my tips in the bank so I would have tons of cash and no money in my bank account.

I don't disagree with you, but a purchase is not a debt. The purpose of the legal tender definition is to prevent someone from just going 'no I don't accept this to pay off your debt, you're now in debt slavery'.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i'm here to be the sensible, even keeled moderate and i say we all agree to abolish money altogether and create a common sense bipartisan society where each contributes according to their ability and to each according to their needs, ahuk. But what do I know, I'm just a simple country IT support professional.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

There's some legit crazies thinking a cashless society is a big conspiracy against them, but just like Voter ID and the like not accepting cash makes it harder for people on the poorer end of the spectrum.

Now, if we nationalised all the banks and gave every citizen a free bank account, then we'd be talkin'

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bring back the Wildcat Banks as favored by Andrew Jackson

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I find bank notes kind of funny because if you read a UK pound note it's basically an IOU. There is a note on it that says something like "This note is worth the equivalent of £x" which basically means "This isn't actually 5/10 pounds, it can be traded for it or the equivalent amount in goods or services"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that is also how all money works, it isn't actually worth anything except for the fact that everyone thinks it is.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

oldpainless posted:

Bring back the Wildcat Banks as favored by Andrew Jackson
How many wildcats do I have to have to open an account?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Making Elaine Benes looking like loving Vaslav Nijinsky with that. I could dance better than that, and there is surely no worse insult to a person's dancing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
ftr legal tender extends to eating at a sit down pay at the end restaurant

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Half iosm half funny pics, saw it on bluesky op said it was from a local school district.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

SCHIOOL BUS

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
The joke is that was made by AI, right?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

He'll never top this moment

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bugsy posted:

Half iosm half funny pics, saw it on bluesky op said it was from a local school district.

Sadly veteeras couldn't stop the series of horrible mutagen attacks that twisted are nation's youth

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You'd think a nation that masturbates to its flag with such regularity would know how many stripes it should have.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Antigravitas posted:

You'd think a nation that masturbates to its flag with such regularity would know how many stripes it should have.

The algorithm that generated the image seems not to though. AI is totally the future though you guys.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
You'd also think they'd know that children have legs.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

As much as I love One Piece yea this tracks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that is also how all money works, it isn't actually worth anything except for the fact that everyone thinks it is.

Yeah, basically one of the big mental block the people going on about 'fiat currency' have is that literally all currency works that way, there are no inherent laws of reality about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

As much as I love One Piece yea this tracks

That's a pretty widely accepted criticism and one thing Oda himself seems to have taken to heart at least around Amazon Lily and gotten... somewhat better about it.

There's a whole can of worms there about how there's a much wider variance in what's allowed to be considered attractive for male characters- hunks, twinks, bishies, dadbods, and so forth- versus women, where a lot of publishers will veto anything not the standard female body type for the medium.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Elblanco posted:

You'd also think they'd know that children have legs.

The children are also veterans and had their legs amputated, obv.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

The children are also veterans veteeras and had their legs amputated, obv.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SilentChaz posted:

Elon Musk had to create an AI to say nice things about him. And you can't even get it to be rude about him:

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1722500995673198747?t=f6gsuA66CwryPTU1nFqHQg&s=19
So like, one of the stated reasons he stole, coded, invented, bought another AI and filed off the numbers was because he couldn't get ChatGPT to say the N word to prevent nuclear war, right, and that's a threat to the world right?

So is ElonAI able to say Elon is a loser to prevent nuclear war?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Again, you appear to have a misconception of what "legal tender" means

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Bugsy posted:

I'm the child with a pompom for a head

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Bugsy posted:

:stonk:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Kit Walker posted:

I'm the child with a pompom for a head

And flags for hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's just how the children of true red white and blue blooded American patriots come out