Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

One of the boys holding up the "Thanik you veeteras" sign has a head severely disjointed from his legs. I'm convinced that he has no torso at all and the girl in overalls is just holding up a head on the end of a stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I’m the 8 year old rocking a stache

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm the kid on the bottom left whose head is exploding.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

One of the boys holding up the "Thanik you veeteras" sign has a head severely disjointed from his legs. I'm convinced that he has no torso at all and the girl in overalls is just holding up a head on the end of a stick.

He was just cut by a swift blade in an anime.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The cash thing is interesting because in NYC, while some places have tried to go cashless, many others are cash only or add a processing surcharge if you pay by credit card. This is legal as long as they post a sign.

And that's why I get annoyed by smug foreigners being like "you still use cash? How primitive."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There’s a sushi place near me that’s very popular but only takes cash or Venmo (and they demand you add them as a Friend and not a Business on there). They’re doing massive tax evasion, right?

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
Yes. Venmo will report business transactions to the IRS, but not personal transactions, so there isn't much of an explanation here other than that they're trying to hide how much money they're making.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

In edge cases they might be hoping to minimise transaction and equipment lease fees but yeah, it's probably just fudging the numbers.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nothing personnel, kid

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zakharov posted:

The cash thing is interesting because in NYC, while some places have tried to go cashless, many others are cash only or add a processing surcharge if you pay by credit card. This is legal as long as they post a sign.

And that's why I get annoyed by smug foreigners being like "you still use cash? How primitive."
Lol send them to Germany. 3x as much cash usage as the US. More cash usage than in the literal third world country I’m in where people will happily take a clump of one of several foreign currencies.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nebrilos posted:

He's doing the Trump power stance

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

zakharov posted:

Here in Denmark it's illegal to go completely cashless. I understand it for the purpose of making sure no one is locked out of being able to buy things, even if access to various non-cash options is more ubiquitous here, but I do desperately hate how it'll slow any given queue to a crawl when someone has to fiddle with their cash and change, or the fact that you know anyone making a major purchase in cash is a loving tax cheat that should be strung up.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Swift blade veteeras for truth.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

literal third world country

no. for gently caress sake.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

yeah, iirc Edgar's in a second world country

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Here in Denmark it's illegal to go completely cashless. I understand it for the purpose of making sure no one is locked out of being able to buy things, even if access to various non-cash options is more ubiquitous here, but I do desperately hate how it'll slow any given queue to a crawl when someone has to fiddle with their cash and change, or the fact that you know anyone making a major purchase in cash is a loving tax cheat that should be strung up.

I haven’t touched cash in years in Sweden except for doing transactions you don’t want a record of. In my case, my tattoo artist avoiding dealing with Skatteverket, which tbh, a victimless crime.

What does suck is that basically using cash is now seen as “you are involved with drugs at some level”, and tourists not knowing that! I can see a future PR whoopsie with a rent a cop getting too big for his britches and causing a minor international incident.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

gbut posted:

no. for gently caress sake.

I’m sorry but what’s the word for a country with hdi closer to Palestine than Germany or the US? I’m not trying to be offensive, I’m a citizen here

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I think Trump established the precedent of calling such a place a shithole

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m sorry but what’s the word for a country with hdi closer to Palestine than Germany or the US? I’m not trying to be offensive, I’m a citizen here

LEDC was the term when I was in school, but that might be specifically a UK thing. At least it's based on more than where a country was in the cold war.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

First/Second/Third World isn't about gdp, those terms were based on the political alignment of the country during the cold war.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

the fact that you know anyone making a major purchase in cash is a loving tax cheat that should be strung up.

Honestly anyone who’s only tax cheating to the degree that they have a little walking around money is far from being the problem in the grand scheme of people in society who aren’t paying their fair share, cut them some slack.

Unless the person in line is literally the physical embodiment of Amazon or Starbucks or some other large multinational in which case yeah, wheel out the guillotine.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Tax fraud is legal if you make over 100k and carries the death penalty if you make under that amount

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When I was in college my business professor couldn't fuckin shut up about "tax avoision" which is basically playing the game so you don't have to pay taxes and it's somehow technically still legal and haha only the rich have access to the means that makes tax avoision even possible.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

IRS famously goes after poorer people because it’s easier. They don’t have the resources to fight back.

…but also because they sever the rich uberclass.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol send them to Germany. 3x as much cash usage as the US. More cash usage than in the literal third world country I’m in where people will happily take a clump of one of several foreign currencies.

We got slightly better about it during Covid when suddenly people really didn't want to touch cash someone else had just touched. Before that, most places wouldn't even accept card payment unless you were buying at least for 5 €. These days, I only use cash at the doner places that always seem to have broken card readers.

And the Greek restaurant that just flat out doesn't accept cards.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

When I was in Japan this year, only around half the shops and restaurants I went to had card readers. The rest were cash or GTFO.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not taking cash around me is basically a business' way of saying they don't want poor people/homeless or farm laborers in there. A lot of smaller places that do take card also add fees up to 5% if using card.

Is it dumb that my debit card doesn't just process for them like cash? Absolutely. It's also not their fault, so I just make sure to keep like 30 bucks on me if I'm going anywhere

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Always carry at least 100 bucks just in case. I carry 2 50s (I don’t carry small bills)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Honestly anyone who’s only tax cheating to the degree that they have a little walking around money is far from being the problem in the grand scheme of people in society who aren’t paying their fair share, cut them some slack.

Unless the person in line is literally the physical embodiment of Amazon or Starbucks or some other large multinational in which case yeah, wheel out the guillotine.

I think something like $4000 in "walking around money" is the point where I get upset, since that's usually scummy tradesmen who do under-the-table work. They're not people who'd be suffering any sort of economic hardship if they didn't cheat, is where I draw the line. Minimum wage workers or whatever? Cheat all you want, you need it. "Small business owners" and "Entrepreneurs"? Lmao get hosed.

Trust me when I say that I would happily guillotine all the super rich fucks, too.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm sorry to report that HDI in your country is actually classed as "very high," 56th in the world, by the UNDP. This is an indictment of both the concept of HDI and the general state of the whole loving world.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Listen , i dont care about cash over cards so much

But can we PLEASE completely do away with Checks,

id be faster to trade with livestock than loving checks

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
It's wild to me that you can take a check to the bank, wait for it to clear, the bank will say, "yes, this was a good check, we've put the money in your account", and then a week later they can change their mind and take the money back. Great system.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I cashed a large cheque at my bank once back in the days before smartphones and banking apps and the teller said “oh hey if you don’t have any plans for that money right now we can throw that into a savings account for you and give you these perks” so I said sure do that

Later that day I went out and tried to use my debit card but it wouldn’t work, so I checked my balance at an ATM to find that it was in a negative balance suspiciously equal to what I knew I had in my account to begin with minus the amount of my large cheque

Turns out shitwit at the bank, even though this was their job and they should surely have known this, hadn’t bothered to factor in the fact that cheques don’t clear instantly and just forced through a transfer for the value of the cheque from my regular account into this savings account, leaving me horrendously overdrawn

I had to argue with the bank for several hours while they repeatedly tried to tell me this was my own fault and I was liable for overdraft charges before they finally accepted that their guy hosed up and reversed them

gently caress cheques

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

gently caress overdraft fees. Just decline the loving transaction. Oh, wait, that doesn’t allow you to generate money out of the thin air of my pockets, you say?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Charging people more money because they don’t have enough money is the biggest scam since religion

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
if you hate your bank there a little fella you should learn about called ol' karl marxsie with some interesting ideas

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deformed Church posted:

I'm sorry to report that HDI in your country is actually classed as "very high," 56th in the world, by the UNDP. This is an indictment of both the concept of HDI and the general state of the whole loving world.

gently caress yeah 0.811, upper middle income

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

if you hate your bank there a little fella you should learn about called ol' karl marxsie with some interesting ideas

little?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Or just stop using big banks and go with a credit union. They used to be hard to get into, you'd have to be an employee of something, but now there should be at least one in your area that's open to everyone. The two I've been in was one that was originally for employees and students of the university system of the state, the other was originally for employees of a large manufacturing company, but by the time I signed up for them they were open to everyone in the state. Neither charged overdraft fees. They would either transfer money from saving to debit, or if I was completely out of money i just couldn't use my debit card, but they let me carry a negative balance for over a week until I got a pay check with no penalties.

Chase will reorganize your purchasing order so that you have to pay multiple fees. One time I had like 25 bucks when I thought I had a couple hundred, I bought something for like $10, then something for like $15, then something for like $35, so clearly I should only pay an overdraft on that third purchas, but no, they ran the 3rd one through first and then the other two, so I got 3 overdraft charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wasn't there a law about 10 years ago so that you had to opt-in to overdraft fees on checking accounts? Otherwise they'd just decline the purchase?

I had a thing a while ago where I overdrafted and ended up eating something like a $35 fee on a purchase of a pack of gum.