Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ixo posted:

Get help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i've been listening to the new gama bomb this morning and the volume is all over the place, even in the same song certain parts are much louder than others

it's good but this is pretty stupid, i dunno if it's ytmusic or they hosed up the mastering somehow

e: it's so weird, at 50 seconds into every song the volume drops by half. i have to assume this is ytmusic somehow cause that's very loving strange

kumba fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 15, 2023

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

New release from Drowning in Formaldehyde. Cover is pretty NSFW.
https://coyoterecords.bandcamp.com/album/nightmares-and-seroquel
Meaty, greasy, knuckle-dragging uncivilized slam. You will lose brain cells listening to this. It's really good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ultraviolence123 posted:

New release from Drowning in Formaldehyde. Cover is pretty NSFW.
https://coyoterecords.bandcamp.com/album/nightmares-and-seroquel
Meaty, greasy, knuckle-dragging uncivilized slam. You will lose brain cells listening to this. It's really good.

Formaldehyde's a gas. It's called formalin when it's suspended in an aqeuous solution (a liquid form)

Literally unlistenable now.

source: im an (apprentice) Funeral Director/Embalmer

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Fuckin David Fisher over here

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That's a mildly concerning nitpick

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Strangely (or perhaps not) when I started my career my taste for death metal decreased drastically and all the interest in DM instead got converted into a taste for dungeon synth

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kvlt! posted:

Formaldehyde's a gas. It's called formalin when it's suspended in an aqeuous solution (a liquid form)

I can read Latin. I get it, but you've got it so easy.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Nordick posted:

I personally blame Luca Turilli and the other tossers in Rhapsody for ruining european power metal

EDIT: TBF, poo poo like Powerwolf and Sabaton don't help, either

Sabaton are rear end but every iteration of Rhapsody has been good and Powerwolf are good just with a lovely aesthetic. Cheesy euro power owns

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Powerwolf is great, actually!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

you can still drown in a gas

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I forget they exist, and then when I remember I go "oh ya literally all their albums are great"

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Kvlt! posted:

Strangely (or perhaps not) when I started my career my taste for death metal decreased drastically and all the interest in DM instead got converted into a taste for dungeon synth

My friend is in the exact same job as yours except his affinity for goregrind grew tenfold. The duality of man.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

The Eighth Mountain proved that the keyboardist was actually the brains behind rhapsody

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I should read this thread more.

I've never done the headbanger's boat before. Is there ever a goon group for it?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nazzadan posted:

Sabaton are rear end but every iteration of Rhapsody has been good and Powerwolf are good just with a lovely aesthetic. Cheesy euro power owns

wtf Powerwolf are seriously just Sabaton with a Ghost skin

And yes cheesy euro power loving rules when it sounds like loving this and not baby's first metal karaoke

Yes I'm in a fighting mood, I just brewed a fresh pot of coffee and will gatekeep proper power metal all loving night, come at me dweebs

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Message to power metal bands: you don't need to play with a philharmonic orchestra. Your korg triton from 1999 fits the mix much better and you won't disappear up your rear end with "operatic" bs

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Flinger posted:

Message to power metal bands: you don't need to play with a philharmonic orchestra. Your korg triton from 1999 fits the mix much better and you won't disappear up your rear end with "operatic" bs

:hai:

Also it won't kill you to have some more hooks in your song than some incredibly basic keyboard riff and a wannabe ABBA chorus

EDIT: It's supposed to be loving guitar music damnit

gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exIme8zVCFQ

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 15, 2023

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Nordick posted:

wtf Powerwolf are seriously just Sabaton with a Ghost skin

They don't sound alike at all other than having vocalists that don't sing in higher registers lol. Merging Flare are great, especially their second album which is fantastic. I'm ungatekeepable with most metal subgenres but especially pm, I'm already well and through the door on that one.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhK2ev_O-pc

The actual only things you gotta do is change the keyboard from the faux organ to a more generic one and change the lyrics to be about some random war hero and this instantly turns into a Sabaton song

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Of course, you can also give this the faux organ and "huyk huyk nun titties" lyrics and the inverse happens

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I diagnose u with the musical verison of facial blindness. I don't care enough about Powerwolf to continue this tho they are fine but there's much better modern power metal bands like Twilight Force, Dire Peril or Fellowship.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 15, 2023

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
no u

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The best euro-pm band was actually Twilightning, but nobody noticed them because they picked the literal worst loving band name in the history of recorded music. Delirium Veil loving slaps front to back, though.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Nordick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhK2ev_O-pc

The actual only things you gotta do is change the keyboard from the faux organ to a more generic one and change the lyrics to be about some random war hero and this instantly turns into a Sabaton song

This is my theme song so kindly back off!!
But seriously can we just let people like different things?

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

I diagnose u with the musical verison of facial blindness. I don't care enough about Powerwolf to continue this tho they are fine but there's much better modern power metal bands like Twilight Force, Dire Peril or Fellowship.

No, powerwolf and sabaton are absolutely in the same subgenre. There's a clear lineage of european neoclassical stuff, trad-style uspm, german speed metal influence, prog, and modern fest-friendly anthem power metal. These are the bands that spotify thinks are similar to powerwolf:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

it is possible to like and dislike at the same time but maybe we’re not smart enough to but we could try

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Flinger posted:

No, powerwolf and sabaton are absolutely in the same subgenre. There's a clear lineage of european neoclassical stuff, trad-style uspm, german speed metal influence, prog, and modern fest-friendly anthem power metal. These are the bands that spotify thinks are similar to powerwolf:

i like most of these bands and will never apologize, but Eluveitie is not really the same lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

remigious posted:

This is the metal thread.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Also it is known fact that blind guardian always rules but gamma ray? they too always rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm8JvqFK_3A

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Every band, even my favourite band, is the worst band

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Flinger posted:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i like most of these bands and will never apologize, but Eluveitie is not really the same lol

"similar" here means that people who listen to Powerwolf are also likely to listen to these bands, regardless of similar musically they are. For something with a lot of listeners, you'll generally find that the similar artists actually do sound similar, but it's not a guarantee.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

The best euro-pm band was actually Twilightning, but nobody noticed them because they picked the literal worst loving band name in the history of recorded music. Delirium Veil loving slaps front to back, though.

Twilightning were loving superb but I don't think the band name was what hindered them, considerding loving EDGUY were one of the more popular eupm bands in their time. Still, great callout.

remigious posted:

We absolutely can and even should!
However, can we also let people have good-natured sparring matches and vent/rant about things they don't like, without taking it personally? I mean I'm not here to put anyone down for liking Sabawolf, I just like ragging on the bands for fun!

Flinger posted:

Also it is known fact that blind guardian always rules but gamma ray? they too always rule

drat straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7FTqY-EG6w

Nordick fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 15, 2023

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Just listen to Battle Beast and all your problems will be solved

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the anthemic festival poo poo is boring but the riff-based stuff is cool

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I don't mind anthems because I like having fun

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Nordick posted:

However, can we also let people have good-natured sparring matches and vent/rant about things they don't like, without taking it personally?
Well, this is a valid question. I had too much coffee and got uppity lol.
On the subject of Edguy, I do enjoy it but goddamn the name is stupid. I’ve also been enjoying Dynazty lately, another incredibly dumb band name.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
BOLT THROWER

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I don't mind anthems because I like having fun

Riffs are fun tho

Fortunately, we can have both riffs and ye olde soaring anthemic choruses in the same song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b71pvmOLtQ

remigious posted:

On the subject of Edguy, I do enjoy it but goddamn the name is stupid.

It's possibly the dumbest metal band name, but in a good way and it also fits because the guys are giant dorks. And like, let's not forget that being goofy as poo poo is pretty foundational to eupm, with classics like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FFTQRmsK0k

That is the actual cover art for the single release.

(I guess you could argue that this isn't really a power metal song, but keep in mind it's on the same album as Eagle Fly Free, which to this day is possibly the most archetypal classic eupm song ever)

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Flinger posted:

No, powerwolf and sabaton are absolutely in the same subgenre. There's a clear lineage of european neoclassical stuff, trad-style uspm, german speed metal influence, prog, and modern fest-friendly anthem power metal.

I think they are superficially in the same subgenre of overarching european power metal, but I find Sabaton to be more on the trad'y side of simple riff driven euro power with long sections of spoken vox and Powerwolf to be more on the symphonic side, they both do put a heavy emphasis on the chorus though. Also Spotify is probably not the best metric to go off of, whenever their year end stuff goes out they just make up genres to lump bands into like Voidgaze.

Flinger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm8JvqFK_3A

There are some days I think Gamma Ray are the best pm band over Blind Guardian, the rerecording album Blast from the Past is 10/10.

Edit for content: I'll also throw Elvenstorm in the mix for good modern pm, really dig them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXP1BKzgsIA

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 15, 2023