Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Street food on tiktock

Street food in IRL (sound):

https://i.imgur.com/XM8TWhQ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

What’s the street food situation like in the more happening areas of Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto? I realize that I haven’t heard much about Japanese street food at all in my life.

I know this must have been explained before, and I appreciate any links to old answers.

It depends on your definition. If you're picturing street food as stalls out on the street like in Thailand, or that dude mashing pomegranates, that doesn't really exist in Japan. There are some yatai stalls in Fukuoka and very occasionally you'll spot one somewhere else, but mostly you will only see that at festivals. There are also a couple tourist trap areas like in front of Sensoji in Asakusa that have permanent setups. Those are notable because of their rarity though.

There are shops that sell ready to eat food and don't have seating, so you can stand out front and eat your fried chicken or whatever. I don't think it's what most people are talking about when they say street food but it's debatable.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Keep on going back to this channel but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGTOvXBrv8A

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

TontoCorazon posted:

Keep on going back to this channel

That's because Dancing Bacons is an absolute pro follow, just don't watch when you're hungry.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Otana posted:

That's because Dancing Bacons is an absolute pro follow, just don't watch when you're hungry.

Which is a problem because I tend to watch it in bed trying to go to sleep

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I have this same problem.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Grand Fromage posted:

It depends on your definition. If you're picturing street food as stalls out on the street like in Thailand, or that dude mashing pomegranates, that doesn't really exist in Japan. There are some yatai stalls in Fukuoka and very occasionally you'll spot one somewhere else, but mostly you will only see that at festivals. There are also a couple tourist trap areas like in front of Sensoji in Asakusa that have permanent setups. Those are notable because of their rarity though.

There are shops that sell ready to eat food and don't have seating, so you can stand out front and eat your fried chicken or whatever. I don't think it's what most people are talking about when they say street food but it's debatable.

Granted, I haven't been since the early 00's, but I remember basically living off gyudon stands in nearly every city we visited for the ~two weeks I was there. Was like 3-4 bucks for a quick, filling meal of meat, onions, and rice. Add an egg for 50yen!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Possibly stretching, but a 16yr old made this in blender:
https://younganimator.uk/winner/1699875910225x437970782709919500

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Roundup Ready posted:

Granted, I haven't been since the early 00's, but I remember basically living off gyudon stands in nearly every city we visited for the ~two weeks I was there. Was like 3-4 bucks for a quick, filling meal of meat, onions, and rice. Add an egg for 50yen!

You mean like just a dude with a cart out on the street making gyudon? I've never seen such a thing but I wish I had.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Grand Fromage posted:

You mean like just a dude with a cart out on the street making gyudon? I've never seen such a thing but I wish I had.

Nah, just a bunch of little stalls everywhere we went in the bigger cities. Again, been around 20 years though. Also had some friggin amazing hot pot once we got to the smaller towns. Amazingly great people who treated us like family.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

That's insane.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ate some grilled smoked wild boar

if you ask whether they eat the dogs please know that your humour has been aged for 20 years like milk

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What is the rice flavored with?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

dogs

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

This is super impressive, and now I want mitarashi dango.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ate some grilled smoked wild boar

Awesome pictures, how was it? I helped cover a friend's hunting trip once and he gave me 1/3 of the boar he caught in exchange, some of the best meat I've ever had.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I was gonna ask if I could feed the dogs.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

walked into this tbf. It's rice wrapped in Tarap leaves with some root vegetables for flavouring

bunnyofdoom posted:

I was gonna ask if I could feed the dogs.

yea

Otana posted:

Awesome pictures, how was it? I helped cover a friend's hunting trip once and he gave me 1/3 of the boar he caught in exchange, some of the best meat I've ever had.

The smoke really brings out the sweetness of the pork, it's drenched in a sweet-salty sauce there's a dip with chilis and dried anchovies. One of the best meals we had and we ate it piping hot in the mountain chill

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Quite a few places in seasia still serve dogmeat, when I was in Cambodia the only beach dogs that survived around Otres were the ones extremely distrusting of strangers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I only had dog once, it's not very good. Wouldn't recommend.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I had it in the Pyong Yang restaurant in Siem reap, nothing to write home about, my HK mate reckoned it tasted like wet dog smelt

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I also have only tried dog meat once or twice, (there were a few restaurants in Namhae that served it), and wasn't blown away.

It was nice enough, and went well with spring onions and chilli. But it's not something I would go that far out of my way to find.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Moving the topic of conversation BACK, that boar place looks like it serves loving fantastic food. Esp. re that sauce description.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I've only eaten ortolan once and without the head cover but it was nothing to write home about

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Tokyo? Ueno and Nippori had pretty good late night (before trains end) ramen and so on stalls, around the stations.
When we finished work in the morning, the Sobaya and Udon in Oji was very good as well, not exactly street food but pretty tiny places.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

staberind posted:

Tokyo? Ueno and Nippori had pretty good late night (before trains end) ramen and so on stalls, around the stations.

Speaking of Nippori, there's an amazing fried food vendor in nearby Yanaka Ginza. The owner's kind of a jerk, gets really mad at tourists or people who ignore the signs not to take pictures, but that menchi katsu was SO good.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Otana posted:

Speaking of Nippori, there's an amazing fried food vendor in nearby Yanaka Ginza. The owner's kind of a jerk, gets really mad at tourists or people who ignore the signs not to take pictures, but that menchi katsu was SO good.

Is it sōzai ICHIFUJI? The reviews and photos are hilarious.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Kharnifex posted:

Is it sōzai ICHIFUJI? The reviews and photos are hilarious.

That's the one!

I can speak Japanese so I had a perfectly forgettable interaction, but it seems like that's not a very universal experience for tourists judging from the reviews.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Otana posted:

That's the one!

I can speak Japanese so I had a perfectly forgettable interaction, but it seems like that's not a very universal experience for tourists judging from the reviews.

Might be an idea to set up a hidden video camera just live streaming the interactions all day.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Mate I also speak Japanese, despite that, getting onto a bus and asking a question was sometimes met with "Batsu arms" and "no english"... "demo.... nihongo shaberimashit...?" "NO ENGLISH"
*SHRUGS*

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah there's a few places who just batsu arm we are closed tourists get out.

Doesn't stop me trying every year I go heheh

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You haven't really been to Asia until you've had someone shouting NO ENGLISH at you while you're speaking to them in the local language.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Grand Fromage posted:

You haven't really been to Asia until you've had someone shouting NO ENGLISH at you while you're speaking to them in the local language.

have you ever tried shouting back rude things at them in the local language out of curiosity because i think that is what i would end up doing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

have you ever tried shouting back rude things at them in the local language out of curiosity because i think that is what i would end up doing

No I'm not that confrontational

I have had a couple times where someone else tells the no english!!! person "dude he's speaking Korean" though which is always funny. Respect for the bros out there.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Did this in Hong Kong in Cantonese and they laughed.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

staberind posted:

Mate I also speak Japanese, despite that, getting onto a bus and asking a question was sometimes met with "Batsu arms" and "no english"... "demo.... nihongo shaberimashit...?" "NO ENGLISH"
*SHRUGS*

Oh this was absolutely my experience in Sapporo. Walk into a store, hear "irrashaima-- *GASP OF HORROR*". Last time I was in Tokyo no one gave a gently caress, it was great. Just talked to me like anyone else.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Got half an hour to chill and watch this grandpa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHkwt6yxVWk

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was in Kyoto and Osaka last week; I heard the roasted-sweet-potato cart way down at the other end of our street as we approached our place after a very long day on our feet and fairly ran down after it. :3: Such a simple treat on a chilly autumn night, and not too easy to find like that.

Came back yesterday and today I'm on a clear liquid diet for tomorrow's colonoscopy. I might not come back to this thread till that's over with--makes me too drat hungry.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Just put the dripping wet lemon offal cart video on loop on a second monitor. If that doesn't help nothing will.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://i.imgur.com/7V6peoc.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I support his choice to wear women's jeans