Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They'll presumably want to go into the underground bit of the hospital at some point for a photo op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Viller posted:

He literally never posts proof of anything and just claims everything coming out of Israel is wrong and Hamas, the terror organisation, is a merchant of truth...

Pretty loving ridiculous hes even allowed to post that garbage 24/7 and Ive been probed for asking for proof or asking for explanation on his mush brain point of view.

Israel is a terror organisation, OP

Ham fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 16, 2023

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the IDF was getting clowned so hard on the Al Shifa post they deleted it

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If none of the US news channels reports on the fact that they're scrubbing their BIG BREAKING NEWS IT WAS OKAY FOR US TO SIEGE THE HOSPITAL video from their Twitter and Youtube then I don't think they're allowed to call themselves journalists anymore, time to reclassify as entertainment alongside Fox.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Neurolimal posted:

If none of the US news channels reports on the fact that they're scrubbing their BIG BREAKING NEWS IT WAS OKAY FOR US TO SIEGE THE HOSPITAL video from their Twitter and Youtube then I don't think they're allowed to call themselves journalists anymore, time to reclassify as entertainment alongside Fox.

Yeah don't hold your breath

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Darkly hilarious that Hamas likely wants to keep the hostages alive more than Israel does. Hostages aren't useful dead.

Honestly it seems like Israel's leadership immediately wrote them off (given the bombings), and they'd be more convienant dead (at the hands of Hamas terror beasts) so they can justify brutalizing Gaza and killing thousands of children.

So #blessed that I can vote against my government supporting this atrocity, while others have to fight the old fashioned way knowing they can likely be blown up anyway just for being in gaza, like so many of their neighbors and family.

Oh wait, actually around here it's considered impolite to talk about thousands of dead children at the hands of the close ally we support and protect. Lots of hand wringing about how it's impacting bidens approval rates though! Can't wait to somehow vote against this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

the IDF was getting clowned so hard on the Al Shifa post they deleted it

Did not expect them to go ahead and delete their obvious lies lol. What is going on over there behind the scenes?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Witness accounts of the Al-Shifa invasion are starting to come out:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/15/all-men-16-years-and-above-raise-your-hands-how-al-shifa-raid-unfolded

quote:

Three hours before dawn, witnesses and doctors inside Gaza’s largest hospital reported that Israeli tanks had entered the sprawling medical compound on the western edge of Gaza City. “We can see them pointing the guns of the tanks toward the hospital … they are inside the complex with the tanks,” Khader Al Za’anoun, a reporter for the Palestinian news agency Wafa, told CNN.

Munir al-Boursh, a doctor inside the Dar al-Shifa hospital and a Palestinian health ministry undersecretary, had earlier appealed to approaching Israeli forces to exercise caution. “You being inside the hospital will create a state of fear and hysteria among the patients here,” he told the Israel Defense Forces in a phone call obtained by Al Jazeera. “All floors of the hospital are full of people from floor one through to six.”

For five days, the Israeli military had been drawing closer to the hospital, where hundreds of patients, including newborn babies, have gone without electricity and with little food as fighting raged around them.

Witnesses told Reuters that tanks entered the complex at 3am and that one parked in front of the emergency department. Mohammed Zaqout, the director of hospitals in the territory, said Israeli soldiers entered the emergency department and the surgery building, which also contains intensive care units. An official at the Hamas-run health ministry told AFP he could see “dozens of soldiers and commandos inside the emergency and reception buildings”.

Witnesses who spoke to the BBC and AFP said Israeli soldiers used loudspeakers to demand that all males aged between 16 and 40 leave every part of the hospital complex other than the surgical and emergency wings and enter the hospital courtyard.

“All men 16 years and above, raise your hands,” a soldier shouted in accented Arabic, according to a journalist speaking to AFP. “Exit the building towards the courtyard and surrender,” the soldier ordered.

About 1,000 Palestinian males, their hands above their heads, were soon led into the vast hospital courtyard, some of them stripped naked by Israeli soldiers checking them for weapons or explosives, the journalist said.

Israel said its troops had killed militants in a clash outside but once inside there had been no fighting. The Israeli army released video showing soldiers carrying boxes labelled “baby food” and “medical supplies”.

A spokesperson for the Palestinian ministry of health in Gaza, Ashraf al-Qudra, told Al Jazeera Arabic that “only doctors, patients and displaced people” were present when Israeli forces entered the hospital’s emergency department. “We have nothing to be afraid of or hide,” he said.

Omar Zaqout, who works in the emergency room at al-Shifa, told Al Jazeera that Israeli soldiers had detained and assaulted some men who had taken refuge there. “[They] did not bring any aid or supplies, they only brought terror and death,” he said.

The IDF described the raid as “a precise and targeted operation against Hamas in a specified area in the Shifa hospital, based on intelligence information and an operational necessity.”

The Israeli authorities have long maintained that Hamas uses the area below the hospital as a command centre. Hamas and hospital staff deny this.

The IDF said in a briefing that soldiers found “weapons and other terror infrastructure,” at al-Shifa, and that they had seen “concrete evidence that Hamas terrorists used the Shifa hospital as a terror headquarters,” which they intended to publish later.

Hamas said the IDF’s claims were “nothing but a continuation of the lies and cheap propaganda, through which [Israel] is trying to give justification for its crime aimed at destroying the health sector in Gaza”.

The raid continued well into the afternoon, though details were scant due to a widespread telecommunications blackout, which the two major Palestinian telecoms networks said had been caused by a lack of fuel. Phone calls to staff inside al-Shifa hospital and health ministry officials across Gaza failed to connect.

The head of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said his organisation had lost contact with medics inside al-Shifa.

In the late afternoon, Boursh told Al Jazeera that Israeli troops were still present in the hospital. “They are still here … patients, women and children are terrified,” he said. He said the medical staff had vowed to stay with their patients “till the end.”

The raid followed days of suffering for medics, patients and civilians sheltering inside the complex, where staff described how they had moved every patient into the hospital corridors and away from the windows, fearing gunfire. Boursh told the Guardian that some who attempted to flee al-Shifa earlier this week were surrounded by gunfire as they left the hospital grounds, and turned back.

The Palestinian health ministry said 40 patients died on Tuesday, after five days without the fuel needed to power generators that fed dialysis machines and other vital medical equipment. The hospital had also run out of clean water, and doctors said they were subsisting on dates to survive as food supplies dwindled to nothing.

Corpses were piled in front of the hospital, with staff too terrified to move between buildings. The UN’s office for humanitarian affairs said staff at al-Shifa, for decades the linchpin of Gaza’s medical system, had begun preparations for a mass grave to entomb 180 bodies in front of the facility, as there was no way for them to leave in order to bury the dead.

It's going to be really loving embarrassing if Israel doesn't turn up something better than a handful of guns and a couple of grenades. They've spent way too much time hyping Al-Shifa as the Hamas command center, and drawn quite a bit of media attention to it with the various strikes on or near Al-Shifa. If the most they can come up with is some small arms, the news sites are going to go with photos of the mass grave that starving doctors are digging on hospital property instead.

Neurolimal posted:

There's more important things for the media to spend valuable TV time on, like the fact that the UN Security Council has passed a resolution calling for a humanitarian pause in Gaza. Importantly, this was not vetoed - both the US and UK chose to abstain rather than vetoing, allowing the resolution to pass 12-0. That shows that the US government's unconditional support for Israel is cooling quickly; it's rare for them to not veto something like this.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The resolution is pathetic enough that Israel doesn't even feel the need to defend against it, given that they've already denounced it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The U.S. vetoing a pause would look extremely bad for Biden.

ungulateman posted:

The resolution is pathetic enough that Israel doesn't even feel the need to defend against it, given that they've already denounced it

What happens next when Israel ignores it?

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 16, 2023

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Did not expect them to go ahead and delete their obvious lies lol. What is going on over there behind the scenes?

Not to get all conspiracy-y, but the hospital base reveal so far has been too ridiculous to be true. A dozen rifles and about that number of magazines? That barely lasts a day of fighting! No hostages or facilities that might hold them, so that they could at least say "See, look at these cages! they moves the hostages, but this is an evil terror then!". Odds are they just moved the weapons and gear of some slain qassam or the contents of a cache there and rolled some tape.

I see two options. Either at this point the IDF, Shin Bet and the rest of the structure has fully drunk the kool-aid and believes their own hype or Terror NERV Headquarters under hospitals, or they know it's pathetic and don't care. They can say whatever and get play; Ben Shapiro was creaminghis slacks over a picture of a service shaft. It's the Noor Shireen playbook.:

1- Hamas totally killed that nosy bitch, um, brave reporter!
2- Well she was in the middle of a firefight and PRESS vests attract bullets, we'll never know what really happened!
3- Okay, it was our bullet, but it was an accident!
4- Guess our guy did shoot her deliberately, but we won't punish him.
5- Why are you still talking about that? Are you an anti-semite?

Of course, having new war crimes rolling in every day or so helps keep the tide going.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The same thing that happens if Hamas ignores the part where it tells them to release the hostages, which is nothing

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Realistically unless there's rpgs or rockets or real ordnance of some kind I don't see what any of this would prove. Normal rifles and grenades and things are kind of just reasonable things for people in warzones to have, you could tell me that those belonged to the doctors who carry them to protect from looters when they go home and I'd believe it.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
At this point it won't matter what they find, becuse it would be completely unknown whether Israel planted it beforehand. As with other claims of "Hamas-ISIS" the intended audience are not us. It gets printed in the news, accepted as fact by the usual people and then all later discussion and refutation is too late to have any impact.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

You'd think so, but the US already vetoed a pause at least once:, back on October 18th:
https://twitter.com/UN_News_Centre/status/1714649681521791305

So the US not vetoing this one suggests that they're getting tired of Israel's antics here.

Ignoring this particular UNSC resolution doesn't come with any direct, immediate consequences. However, UNSC vetoes are literally free. Any permanent UNSC member can use their veto as much as they want, with no limitations at all. So a UNSC resolution passing like this is a message that out of the US, UK, France, Russia, and China, not even one of those five countries was interested in blocking it. And ticking off those five countries could lead to consequences.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you for the explanation! I just want this genocide to end and for Palestinians to stop being murdered. Its clear Israel is not going to win this, and that they were the aggressors the entire time. October 7 did not happen in a vacuum. Israel needs to be forced by the world to make peace and answer for their war crimes. Its just frustrating that there is really nothing in place to do this.

After this is over I am interested in what we can do as individuals to help the Palestinians, since world governments wont step up.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

Realistically unless there's rpgs or rockets or real ordnance of some kind I don't see what any of this would prove. Normal rifles and grenades and things are kind of just reasonable things for people in warzones to have, you could tell me that those belonged to the doctors who carry them to protect from looters when they go home and I'd believe it.

I could imagine findings that would give me pause and consider Israel's version. Say, cages/containment facilities for hostages. Racks upon racks of rockets and the assembly tools to make more. Rails/passages linking to other safehouses.

But this weak poo poo? My libertarian ex had more guns before joining the campus libertarians shocked the Mises right out of her, and she downsized to just 3 rifles and 2 pistols.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Video was reuploaded, but with:
- 20 seconds cut out
- The "uncut, unedited" claim is gone from the tweet (because people found that it was suspiciously cut at 6 minutes)
- The laptop at the end is blurred; it had a picture of the IDF soldier allegedly kidnapped and then freed, ostensibly it would be to protect her privacy, but the picture on the laptop is the one that the IDF themselves sent out to news agencies from what I've gathered.

Another interesting discrepancy; the laptop placed next to the CD-R's apparently doesn't have a CD drive (People are guessing at a Lenovo Thinkpad T490). It's possible that there's some PC tower lying around for them, but it's strange that the IDF would line them up alongside the laptop.

There's also a Fox News variant where their embed goes along with; similar tour, even including the guns-behind-MRI bit, though this time there's two guns and the bag is inside a cardboard box. Similar room layout (though it's a hospital so that's to be expected), MRI guts lain in the same position, aid bags are still there but kicked around in a different layout.

After the deletion, Twitter's having a field day chewing on it. I imagine most of their nitpicks are inaccurate, but those seemed notable to point out.

E: https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1724940761102254322

This is a desperate plea for the IDF to find someone in their division that can speak Arabic. Please. Half the people in the country can speak and read it. You are in a hospital full of people who speak Arabic. You are currently strip searching them in the courtyard. I understand that you're unfathomably racist but come on get someone on loan from Mossad This is giving me second-hand embarrassment.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 16, 2023

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/1...?smid=url-share

These people really think we're rubes man. Shameful poo poo

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

This has big "Podunk police department busting a small time weed dealer" vibes, I'm surprised they didn't lay out each round in the magazines to make it look more "impressive"

e: on second look it does look like they did that in one of the pictures so I'm almost winning to bet those mags are empty too

rscott fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 16, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neurolimal posted:

This is a desperate plea for the IDF to find someone in their division that can speak Arabic. Please. Half the people in the country can speak and read it. You are in a hospital full of people who speak Arabic. You are currently strip searching them in the courtyard. I understand that you're unfathomably racist but come on get someone on loan from Mossad This is giving me second-hand embarrassment.

Lol they totally did the CIA thing where everyone who speaks another language has been driven out because of racism

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

rscott posted:

This has big "Podunk police department busting a small time weed dealer" vibes, I'm surprised they didn't lay out each round in the magazines to make it look more "impressive"

e: on second look it does look like they did that in one of the pictures so I'm almost winning to bet those mags are empty too

I think you can see bullets in some of the mags at least. 1ish mag per gun though makes it look like stuff you'd expect people running security to have. It's not really set up for a firefight of any kind.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

One very key stakeholder believes the Israeli narrative on Al-Shifa

https://twitter.com/nickschifrin/status/1724965441486152113?s=20

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It's probably useless to note that the Geneva Conventions explicitly state that the presence of small arms, and people wielding them, is not sufficient to cause a medical facility to lose its protections. Nor do weapons yet to be turned in belonging to injured combatants do so. It is taken as accepted that in a warzone some degree of these things is entirely reasonable, and the type and quantity of what has been shown to us - even if the IDF didn't plant a single round of ammo - is laughably short of justifying this action.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Professor Beetus posted:

Thank you, I always wondered what my "Joker Moment" was going to be.

Recently an Israeli court gave custody of a dead IDF soldier's future children to his parents when his wife refused to be artificially inseminated with her dead husband's posthumously extracted cum. Talk about necro-politics.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Recently an Israeli court gave custody of a dead IDF soldier's future children to his parents when his wife refused to be artificially inseminated with her dead husband's posthumously extracted cum. Talk about necro-politics.

Can you link a news article about it? It's not easy to Google, apparently.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Paladinus posted:

Can you link a news article about it? It's not easy to Google, apparently.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20160518-the-moral-maze-of-using-a-dead-mans-sperm

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Best Friends posted:

The same guy who saw pictures of the 40 beheaded babies.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Best Friends posted:

You can really see the decades of political experience in how he fucks up denying Israel is doing warcrimes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

hadji murad posted:

The same guy who saw pictures of the 40 beheaded babies.

he actually repeated that claim during this as well.

it would be so awesome to have a president who wasnt a senile racist but thats not an option anymore i guess

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So when a female IDF member dies do they go in and harvest her eggs or do only men get to have their gametes recovered

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

BUUNNI posted:

So when a female IDF member dies do they go in and harvest her eggs or do only men get to have their gametes recovered

There are very very few women in combat roles. Dunno if that's better or worse.

Maltloaf
Jul 3, 2018
If you grant the IDF is telling the absolute truth about that room being a command post, they are essentially admitting one or two guys working from a cupboard are capable of a level of military co-ordination sufficient to severely degrade the IDF's capabilities in their likely local operational area. There is no super-command center because lol, lmao, you don't really need that unless you're doing complex imperialism, instead there are only an uncountable number of widely distributed people behind the doors of any spare room.

Military knowers: I ask, are you able to defeat that kind of effective organization without leveling anything and everything, reprisals and terror?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Paladinus posted:

I expect more videos from the super secret Hamas bunker soon. As everyone knows, the bunker exists, so it'd be foolish of them not to film something there.

With electricity shortages and constant bombings, the MRI machines are probably out of commission (the door to the first room looks like there was an explosion). It's weird that with an underground command centre interconnected with a system of tunnels as part of 'the city of terror' Hamas would store anything on the surface at all, but if the MRI rooms were unused, keeping patients' or guards' weapons and kit hidden there wouldn't be a completely outlandish idea, I guess.

The "guns behind an MRI" video isn't very surprising TBH. The magnetic field from an MRI scanner is typically "always on", but it actually requires some amount of power to a cryostat in order to maintain the magnetic field. After losing all power, the helium will slowly boil off until the magnet quenches (several hours to days, depending on the scanner), and the magnetic field is gone.

Maintaining a working MRI scanner in a setting like Gaza is immensely challenging, they require frequent service from specialized technicians, and there's practically no support offered outside of Europe/North America (I can't tell from the clip who manufactured that scanner though). In any case it's obvious that the magnet in the clip had quenched, possibly long before the clip was recorded.

Anyways there's plenty of reason to dismiss this video, but the MRI scanner isn't it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ANIME AKBAR posted:

The "guns behind an MRI" video isn't very surprising TBH. The magnetic field from an MRI scanner is typically "always on", but it actually requires some amount of power to a cryostat in order to maintain the magnetic field. After losing all power, the helium will slowly boil off until the magnet quenches (several hours to days, depending on the scanner), and the magnetic field is gone.

Maintaining a working MRI scanner in a setting like Gaza is immensely challenging, they require frequent service from specialized technicians, and there's practically no support offered outside of Europe/North America (I can't tell from the clip who manufactured that scanner though). In any case it's obvious that the magnet in the clip had quenched, possibly long before the clip was recorded.

Anyways there's plenty of reason to dismiss this video, but the MRI scanner isn't it.

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1724955393325937087

they are definitely putting poo poo behind that MRI scanner though

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

TGLT posted:

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1724955393325937087

they are definitely putting poo poo behind that MRI scanner though
The bag had two guns doesn't seem such a crazy explanation. They're definitely "presenting" stuff, that's clear.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I know that we did the same thing in Afghanistan but they really claimed that there was vast, ant hill-esque bunkers under the hospital that magically put there by what must be the greatest engineering corps on the planet, and now that it turns out there was six guns in a closet we're just supposed to forget it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CSM posted:

The bag had two guns doesn't seem such a crazy explanation. They're definitely "presenting" stuff, that's clear.

Might've behooved them to say that the bag had multiple guns in it instead of just one the first time, then. At any rate, it - like everything else the Israel is presenting to justify what it's done - is fairly suspect.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I know that we did the same thing in Afghanistan but they really claimed that there was vast, ant hill-esque bunkers under the hospital that magically put there by what must be the greatest engineering corps on the planet, and now that it turns out there was six guns in a closet we're just supposed to forget it.

No-no, they say they've already located the command centre. They just need to free up space on the camera before they can film it. Stay tuned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The IDF totally has footage of the command center, they just need to find the right USB cable for their camera to upload it.