Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

"Senolytic therapy"

Extreme term limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Chamale posted:

We don't have the tools :(

I'm not sure whether it's possible to get Novavax here in Alberta, but I am eligible for the XBB.1.5 vaccine, so I should go for that on the principle of "the best vaccine is the one that you can actually get"

That's what I did. I was hoping Novavax would be approved, but it didn't seem like it was going to happen soon enough after the new batch of vaxxes (XBB.1.5) came out (mid Oct), so I stuck with Pfizer. I asked the pharmacist who gave me the shot if she'd heard of Novavax and she had no idea what I was talking about.

I'll be surprised if it gets approved here, and it it does, they'll probably only approve for 60+ people.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Glumwheels posted:

There’s a sign at the pond where my parents take my kids that avian flu is going around and don’t get close to the migratory water fowl.

that's a lockdown

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
AJ's big problem is he's still holding out for a moment where the minimizers are so pinned down that they can't escape with more denial.

That moment is never coming. Nothing will ever get the Zeynep/Leonhardt/Gandhi types to ever admit they were wrong. At best, they'll deny what they said was minimizing.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

it's extremely normal for two dozen cadets to pass out over the course of the remembrance day ceremony

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

dxt posted:

that's a lockdown

Fortunately for me my parents take this poo poo seriously including covid even though they are republicans and consume Fox News.

They were feeding the ducks yesterday and I guess the sign went up today. They don’t pet them but they do overwhelm the food and go crazy when they see them coming. Most of the birds don’t migrate and are permanent residents.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

tbf, remembering things is tough as poo poo after you've had covid a few times

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Glumwheels posted:

Fortunately for me my parents take this poo poo seriously including covid even though they are republicans and consume Fox News.

They were feeding the ducks yesterday and I guess the sign went up today. They don’t pet them but they do overwhelm the food and go crazy when they see them coming. Most of the birds don’t migrate and are permanent residents.

A lot of people dump their pet ducklings they bought their kids for easter at public ponds, where they proceed to die horrible deaths.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
from piranhas?

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
https://bsky.app/profile/ryanlcooper.com/post/3kebarqbmfp2d

Ryan Cooper is such a dumb loving piece of poo poo. He's on a tear on Bluesky doing a bunch do weird Covid denialism and minimizing long Covid simply because he doesn't like Taylor Lorenz, who yeah is kind of annoying, but her being annoying seems to have signalled to a certain kind of male "leftist* that it's okay to say that chronic illnesses are totally fake and that it's cool and funny to alternately mock the people who live with them and pity them for being mentally ill headcases.

https://bsky.app/profile/tinyhoncho.bsky.social/post/3keamcyrvas2m

I can't stand this poo poo anymore, and it just seems to be getting more and more prevalent.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hellequin posted:

Ryan Cooper is such a dumb loving piece of poo poo. He's on a tear on Bluesky doing a bunch do weird Covid denialism and minimizing long Covid simply because he doesn't like Taylor Lorenz, who yeah is kind of annoying, but her being annoying seems to have signalled to a certain kind of male "leftist* that it's okay to say that chronic illnesses are totally fake and that it's cool and funny to alternately mock the people who live with them and pity them for being mentally ill headcases.

https://bsky.app/profile/tinyhoncho.bsky.social/post/3keamcyrvas2m

I can't stand this poo poo anymore, and it just seems to be getting more and more prevalent.

They won, the best thing you can do is to stop worrying about them and mind your own shop.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
It's just so loving frustrating, as if living with a severely limiting chronic condition didn't suck enough, you get to endure mocking derision directed at you every third time you open social media, and each time it's coming from someone you previously thought was funny/smart/pretty okay. I'm halfway to just letting the Canadian government loving euthanize me at this point because after taking a look around at who's supposed to be my "comrades" it becomes materially obvious that things aren't even going to improve in the realm of understanding or cultural awareness, let alone improve medically. Meanwhile with $26.05 in the bank account, some "Marxist" is quote-tweeting you, cracking jokes about how you're secretly a well-paid defence industry contractor because that's what disabled people on the internet always are! You just don't exist anymore, and nobody gives a poo poo.

The worst part is that more and more people are going to find themselves in this exact same position and when they speak up they'll have their experiences, illnesses and lives hand waved away as "aberrations" or "statistical outliers". That's if they're even believed in the first place.

Hellequin has issued a correction as of 07:35 on Nov 16, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DickParasite posted:

Whoopsie boopsie hybrid immunity doesn't confer robust immunity.

https://twitter.com/RajeevJayadevan/status/1724684569469911116

Platystemon posted:

If you do not wish to live in immunologically interesting times, do not allow immunologically interesting pathogens establish themselves in the population or in your body.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

:sympathy:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

A lot of people dump their pet ducklings they bought their kids for easter at public ponds, where they proceed to die horrible deaths.

The duck and geese population here are permanent, lots of people feed them (appropriate food for the most part).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

So if you’re gonna refrigerate tests, only pull them out the day that you’re going to test. One of the tests I pulled out and left out for two weeks no longer works, but tests about the same age that were pulled out and used the same day are fine

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Solid lines are generated from normalized and smoothed data provided by the Washington State Department of Health (WADoH Ref. (1) ), Verily/WastewaterSCAN (WWS Ref. (3) ), and Biobot (Ref. (4) ).

White diamond dots are from most recent CDC/NWSS (Ref. (2) ) data scaled to supplement missing or out-dated data when available.

Because each of these four groups use different normalization methods, different smoothing methods, and different averaging/location identifiers, the concentration of virus is not comparable between locations. See reference links at the bottom of this post for more details.

There are 33 sewersheds distributed across 6 charts grouped by approximate geographical region then alphabetized by county. The tables below contain WADoH or NWSS/WSS IDs (to match their respective dashboards), Date last sampled, Trend (based on the change between the averages of the two most recent weeks), and Service Area for city names and regions if known.

All data presented are smoothed in some degree to even out inconsistent sampling dates and extreme highs and lows. Most sewersheds are sampled 1-3 times a week and are published within a week. Some locations are late reporting by 10 days or more so be sure to note your sewershed's Date in the table or graph. Locations that are more than two weeks old will have n/a listed under Trend to indicate there it is out of date.

Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update.

Northwest and Peninsula

pre:
Northwest and Peninsula
County		Shed ID	Ref.	Date	Trend	Service Area
Island		COUP	(1)	Nov-06	STEADY	Coupeville
Island		OH	(1)	Nov-06	STEADY	Oak Harbor
Jefferson	PT	(1)	Nov-08	STEADY	Port Townsend
Mason		n/a	(4)	Nov-08	STEADY	Rustlewood, Shelton?
Skagit		ANA	(1)	Nov-09	DOWN	Anacortes
Skagit		MV	(1)	Nov-06	STEADY	Mount Vernon
Whatcom		LYN	(1)	Nov-09	DOWN	Lynden
North Sound (1 of 2)

pre:
North Sound (1 of 2)
Snohomish	ARL	(1)	Nov-09	STEADY	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	(1)	Nov-08	STEADY	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	(1)	Nov-08	STEADY	Stanwood
Snohomish	256	(3)	Nov-10	DOWN	Snohomish
North Sound (2 of 2)

pre:
North Sound (2 of 2)
King		BWT	(1)	Nov-08	STEADY	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	(1)	Nov-08	UP	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	(1)	Nov-07	STEADY	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
Snohomish	APP	(1)	Nov-09	STEADY	Lynnwood
South Sound and Southwest

pre:
South Sound and Southwest
Clark		MRPK	(1)	Nov-06	STEADY	Vancouver
Clark		SNCK	(1)	Nov-07	STEADY	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS	(1)	Nov-06	STEADY	Vancouver Westside
Lewis		n/a	(4)	Nov-08	STEADY	Chehalis?
Pierce		CC	(1)	Nov-08	UP	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY	(1)	Nov-06	STEADY	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT	(1)	Nov-05	UP	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
Central Washington

pre:
Central Washington
Benton		WRCH	(1)	Nov-07	STEADY	West Richland
Chelan		WEN	(1)	Nov-06	UP	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	(1)	Nov-08	UP	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	(1)	Nov-06	STEADY	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	(1)	Nov-06	STEADY	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	(1)	Nov-06	STEADY	Yakima
Eastern Washington

pre:
Eastern Washington
Franklin	PAS	(1)	Nov-08	STEADY	Pasco
Spokane		RP	(1)	Nov-08	STEADY	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	(1)	Nov-06	UP	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	(1)	Nov-06	STEADY	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	(1)	Nov-06	STEADY	Pullman
References with links to details on data limitations, sampling methods, and normalization protocols:

[edit] Tweaked the graphs to hopefully be easier to read.

Zantie has issued a correction as of 06:58 on Nov 16, 2023

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Yes! It's negative! I can go see Grandma now!

(not a dig at you - just what some dumbass would probably think seeing that, if they even bothered to test)

Good to know about letting it warm up no more than a day though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Don’t refrigerate test just store them in a cool, dry place. Aren’t fridge temps below the recommended storage temps for tests?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Steve Yun posted:

So if you’re gonna refrigerate tests, only pull them out the day that you’re going to test. One of the tests I pulled out and left out for two weeks no longer works, but tests about the same age that were pulled out and used the same day are fine

That happened to me with a couple non-expired tests I used last year. They were that brand and from the same lot, like 2 out of the 5 didn't have any control line, not even a hint of one. It might be coincidence that it was one you left out.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Pry it open and see if the strip is put in upside down or backwards or something

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gunshow Poophole posted:

some great prospects for brain fog at government administration:

I've been applying for a state licensure for some time now. Turns out "some time" was longer than it should have been because:

The agency first sent my confirmation to the wrong email address, off by one letter! There it went into the ether of a nonexistent account. They caught this mistake at some point.

however whoever filled out the form for the confirmation, and likely is directly doing the compliance and database work, also fat-fingered an additional digit onto my serial number. It's 8 digits long instead of 7.

amazing how tiny fuckups can compound

A couple years ago at the start of the pandemic (after the Melbourne lockdowns but before Australia opened up and we had a giant wave of cases) we had a new housemate move in and it usually takes a few weeks to get the names on the lease changed over but this time it took three entire months because the real estate agents kept loving up the paperwork. Getting the bond transferred took the longest because they had to fill out an online form with the bond tribunal with the email addresses of all the current housemates plus the ex housemate which would then send out automated emails that everyone had to verify within a certain timeframe, but they kept loving up the email addresses over and over and over and what should have been done in a single day ended up taking weeks and weeks and weeks.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Zantie posted:

Super pooper shedder is here!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A terrible consequence of multiple covid infections:

My mother in law has a stage 2 cancer. Tumor thats easily operable. Should be very straight forward.

Her operation had to be delayed because her heart is so jacked up. Apparently in the pre op appointment even sitting calmly her hr wouldnt go below 130.

So now everything is delayed so she can get in to see a cardiologist.

Edit: realized i should clarify shes had covid at least twice and last year said it was the sickest shes ever been.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 11:46 on Nov 16, 2023

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Hellequin posted:

It's just so loving frustrating, as if living with a severely limiting chronic condition didn't suck enough, you get to endure mocking derision directed at you every third time you open social media, and each time it's coming from someone you previously thought was funny/smart/pretty okay. I'm halfway to just letting the Canadian government loving euthanize me at this point because after taking a look around at who's supposed to be my "comrades" it becomes materially obvious that things aren't even going to improve in the realm of understanding or cultural awareness, let alone improve medically. Meanwhile with $26.05 in the bank account, some "Marxist" is quote-tweeting you, cracking jokes about how you're secretly a well-paid defence industry contractor because that's what disabled people on the internet always are! You just don't exist anymore, and nobody gives a poo poo.

The worst part is that more and more people are going to find themselves in this exact same position and when they speak up they'll have their experiences, illnesses and lives hand waved away as "aberrations" or "statistical outliers". That's if they're even believed in the first place.

Yeah this poo poo sucks. Social media absolutely loves to amplify the absolute worst voices too, though, so at a certain point I think it just becomes psychological self-defense to distance yourself from that and other narrative-framing/consensus-manufacturing poo poo.

My condolences to everyone else putting up with this clownpants shitshow. I have astoundingly low social thresholds and I still have a rough time of it some days, I don't know what to even say to console people trying to be social or make friends or date in the era of public health collapsing into a negative voidspace. Keep trying and here's hoping you get lucky in finding less lovely people, I guess.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This is a good (and semi-cathartic) read, where David takes the authors to task in an unusually aggressive manner. I have only included the preamble due to the length.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/15/opinion/covid-lockdown-failure.html posted:

With Covid, Is It Really Possible to Say We Went Too Far?

In 2020, many Americans told themselves that all it would take to halt the pandemic was replacing the president and hitting the “science button.” In 2023, it looks like we’re telling ourselves the opposite: that if we were given the chance to run the pandemic again, it would have been better just to hit “abort” and give up.

You can see the impulse in declining support for public health, state laws limiting future public-health authorities, revisionist accounts of the early pandemic presented in Congress and the presidential campaigns launched in opposition to Covid policies, in those who now routinely describe pandemic policy as a cure worse than the disease. And you can see it in Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera’s book “The Big Fail: What the Pandemic Revealed About Who America Protects and Who It Leaves Behind,” excerpted last month in New York magazine under the headline “Covid Lockdowns Were a Giant Experiment. It Was a Failure.”

There is, I think, a lot of good in the book: reported accounts of the flat-footed American response and the structural problems with supply chains and health care access, and the privatization of hospitals and old-age homes.

But as someone who has followed the twists and turns of Covid science and pandemic policy very closely over the past few years, I also found much of its analysis intensely frustrating. There are important questions to ask, in retrospect, about the limits and trade-offs of pandemic mitigation. But I also think we can’t simply replace one simplistic narrative, about the super power of mitigation policy, for another, focused only on the burdens it imposed and not at all on the costs of doing much less — or nothing at all.

I spoke with McLean and Nocera in early November. The conversation has been edited for length and clarity.
(..)

Also Davids facial expression always cracks me up.

Archived link: https://archive.li/duCTf

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
If anyone is or knows someone that would be a good pick, here is an opportunity to nominate people for a HHS long COVID advisory committee:

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2023/11/16/hhs-establishes-secretarys-advisory-committee-long-covid.html posted:

HHS Establishes Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Long COVID
Committee will help advise on research and innovation in the whole-of-government response to the longer-term impacts of COVID-19, Inviting nominations.

Today, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announces the establishment of the Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Long COVID and invites nominations for the Committee. This Committee is called for in the National Research Action Plan on Long COVID - PDF, published in April of 2022 to make recommendations on research and innovation in the whole-of-government response to the longer-term impacts of COVID-19. This Committee will bring perspectives from outside the government to help inform action on Long COVID and associated conditions, with a focus on health equity.

“The public should play a central role in the development of effective policies,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “By establishing the Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Long COVID, we are ensuring people with the most experience, and the best ideas, have an opportunity to inform the next steps in this important work.”

To the extent possible, composition of the Committee will reflect the experience of an inclusive and diverse cross-section of persons with Long COVID and multidisciplinary expertise of those supporting and caring for those affected as well as specific clinical, medical, public health, behavioral health, human services, employment, data science, and research expertise. The membership of the Committee will reflect diverse individuals or organizations including underserved populations, with a focus on health equity.

“People with lived experience must be looked at as partners in the work to address Long COVID,” said Adm. Rachel L. Levine, M.D., Assistant Secretary for Health, Department of Health and Human Services. “Through collaboration with federal partners, researchers, clinicians, and patient advocacy organizations, and the business sector we continue to make progress towards American’s most urgent calls to action.”

Numerous entities across the U.S. Government fund and conduct research and use external advisory bodies. This Federal Advisory Committee builds on and does not replace or supersede the ongoing work of these advisory bodies. For the full description of the Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Long COVID and to learn more about how to be considered for participation, visit https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2023-24586

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Negative result.
"Epstein-Barr virus reactivation is not causative for post-COVID-19-syndrome in individuals with asymptomatic or mild SARS-CoV-2 disease course"

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-023-08820-w posted:

Abstract
Purpose
Post-COVID-19-Syndrome (PCS) frequently occurs after an infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2). However, the understanding of causative mechanisms is still limited. Aim of this study was to determine the PCS rate among SARS-CoV-2 seropositive blood donors as representatives of supposedly healthy adults, who had experienced an asymptomatic or mild COVID-19 disease course, and to examine whether Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is reactivated in individuals reporting PCS.

Methods
The PCS rate was determined using questionnaires that included questions about infection and persistent symptoms. Pre-pandemic blood samples and samples collected at regular, pre-defined times after a SARS-CoV-2 infection were analysed for neopterin, a marker for antiviral immune responses, by an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Additionally, we determined the rate of SARS-CoV-2 anti-N total antibodies using an electrochemiluminescence immunoassay (ECLIA). Furthermore, quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) to detect EBV DNA and ECLIA screening for EBV viral capsid-antigen (VCA) IgM, IgG and EBV nuclear antigen 1 (EBNA) IgG were performed.

Results
Our data reveal that 18% of all infections result in PCS, with symptoms lasting for up to one year. In individuals reporting PCS, no elevated levels of neopterin were detected, indicating no persisting pro-inflammatory, antiviral immune response. SARS-CoV-2 antibody levels were declining in all participants in comparable manner over time, pointing to a successful virus clearance. In individuals with PCS, no EBV DNA could be detected. Furthermore, no differences in EBV specific antibody levels could be shown in PCS groups compared to non-PCS groups.

Conclusion
Our data suggest that PCS in per se healthy, immunocompetent adults cannot be ascribed to a reactivation of EBV.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

tuyop posted:

Canadians cannot access paxlovid

it's literally so insane and awful how inaccessible it in Canda and our friend kinda openly resents us for it and I don't blame her.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

puncturewound78 posted:

it's so despicable and awful how inaccessible it in Canda and our friend kinda openly resents us for it and I don't blame her.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a weird respiratory illness occurring in dogs across the US: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/ex...3FP2UFCEBU6F2A/
Experts are apparently recommending that people isolate their dogs and avoid boarding them over the holidays which is a DOG LOCKDOWN

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

“Your dog will run a fever and they won’t feel good, they’ll become lethargic meaning they want to lie around more when normally they’d be wanting to play outside and play, and like you mentioned the coughing part of it, if that becomes more productive more of a wet cough, like a hacking cough,” Sekvik said.

He said if your dog experiences any of these symptoms you should take them to the vet and make sure to get sampling done so it can be sent to a state lab for testing.

I feel good knowing if my dog is slightly sick, I need to take it to the vet so I can get more dogs sick in the most likely area to spread it.

Only if we did quarantine procedures for things like this.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:crnasickos:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

JN: "This isn't even my final form."

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So this'll peak in Jan.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
coalescing around the idea that I should do anything that leaves me vulnerable in march; colonoscopies, pet vaccinations, etc

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
That means $15.88 (I have no concept of whether this is high or low, but I assume it is low :shrug:)

https://www.sfgate.com/shopping/article/amazon-binax-covid-tests-sale-18494520.php posted:

Binax’s COVID tests are 34% off at Amazon right now

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

puncturewound78 posted:

it's literally so insane and awful how inaccessible it in Canda and our friend kinda openly resents us for it and I don't blame her.

My 71 year old dad was told by his doctor last year that he didn't meet the provincial eligibility requirements to get Pax prescribed lol
He definitely did meet the requirements, but gotta gatekeep to make sure the wealthy are taken care of

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
my doctor offered me pax before i even got covid

idk maybe your doctors are poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Chicken pox encephalitis/meningitis, wonder how this could happen...