Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Leperflesh posted:

it did, yes, and that was the veil behind which publishers like Palladium hid

The impression I had was that Palladium was just copying and pasting from other sources without thinking much about balance, implications or anything else. Sex of any sort isn't otherwise touched on at all in their games, it's not even in their traditional "parental content" warning about violence and and the occult. They always gave the impression of going after the early adolescent market and being careful to avoid controversy.

Looking through the revised edition, they left references to the insanity table in even though it was removed, and this gem: "Part of why Raphael hasn't yet killed himself, or any of the other turtles is due to his friendship with Michaelangelo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Rolling 00 on the insanity table and getting "cool but rude"

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
69: Party Dude

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wheeljack posted:

The impression I had was that Palladium was just copying and pasting from other sources without thinking much about balance, implications or anything else. Sex of any sort isn't otherwise touched on at all in their games, it's not even in their traditional "parental content" warning about violence and and the occult. They always gave the impression of going after the early adolescent market and being careful to avoid controversy.

Looking through the revised edition, they left references to the insanity table in even though it was removed, and this gem: "Part of why Raphael hasn't yet killed himself, or any of the other turtles is due to his friendship with Michaelangelo."

Homosexuality was removed from the DSM between II and III, circa mid 1970s. Siembieda or someone else at palladium pointed to it to basically "explain" the inclusion of homosexuality on the insanity chart used in a bunch of 1980s Palladium publications, including TMNT, Heroes Unlimited, the Palladium RPG, and others.

It was not just a blind copying over of a list of things from the DSM. For example, from the Palladium RPG:

It's given as a Neurosis, and listed along with "Transvestism", pedophilia, and necrophilia. And cutsey little reasons for why a character has this trait, in parentheses: "mother was a weirdo too".

So, I'm inclined to believe that someone at Palladium looked at a dusty old psych manual as a source, but I feel like that's a pretty flimsy excuse for what you see here, especially by the 1980s.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"(or heterosexual if already gay)" -- Cthulhu scared me straight!!

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Leperflesh posted:

Homosexuality was removed from the DSM between II and III, circa mid 1970s. Siembieda or someone else at palladium pointed to it to basically "explain" the inclusion of homosexuality on the insanity chart used in a bunch of 1980s Palladium publications, including TMNT, Heroes Unlimited, the Palladium RPG, and others.

It was not just a blind copying over of a list of things from the DSM. For example, from the Palladium RPG:

It's given as a Neurosis, and listed along with "Transvestism", pedophilia, and necrophilia. And cutsey little reasons for why a character has this trait, in parentheses: "mother was a weirdo too".

So, I'm inclined to believe that someone at Palladium looked at a dusty old psych manual as a source, but I feel like that's a pretty flimsy excuse for what you see here, especially by the 1980s.

The DSM isn't something I've made a deep dive into, I was going by the Wiki entry on the subject https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_the_DSM pointed out changes from 1980 version (a few years before most Palladium games were written) to the 1987 one.

I have a fair amount of Palladium RPGs, though not the "core" ones such as Palladium Fantasy or Heroes Unlimited which seem to be heaviest on the insanity tables. I should dig into the others, Ninjas and Superspies, Beyond the Supernatural, etc, to see if they had it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Leperflesh posted:

Looking forward for the new D&D edition to have a Frenologist subclass for the Artificer.

In actual news, the MCDM still unnamed RPG is coming to crowdfunding soon - about a month from now: https://mcdm.gg/RPG (redirects to the "remind me" page on Backerkit).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Part of me misses the era of "game designer grabs a real-world reference book they don't understand and turns it into rpg mechanics" era, but its demise is certainly for the best because of poo poo like this.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Part of me misses the era of "game designer grabs a real-world reference book they don't understand and turns it into rpg mechanics" era, but its demise is certainly for the best because of poo poo like this.

Nothing about me misses game systems where Raphael can wiff his sanity check and end up a necrophiliac pedophile.

Like what the screaming gently caress is that supposed to look like at the table? Everyone just gazes in horror at the dice, packs away the game and just agrees to never speak again?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You make one tasteless joke then agree to reroll and never speak of it again.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eerieidolgames/the-old-kings-crown-a-tale-of-royalty-rebels-and-ruses

Are there any red flags for this from folks? It sounds cool.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Not to me. Lack of stretch goals is a good thing imo.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Ricky Royal doing the solo mode is a good sign, too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Backed Molly House in its last hour last night. Feels good to back queer games.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
They're good games, Brent

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Was there also an Evil Dead 1 game that had to be rescued by a third party, or am I just misremembering this one in particular?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lynnvander/evil-dead-2-the-board-game-deluxe-edition

edit: ah, this was the one that was a fiasco. Does anyone have any experience with how they've been in the years since?

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 12, 2023

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

BinaryDoubts posted:

edit: reread the announcement, they say that "[some of the art] may eventually find themselves in artbooks, promos, or other merchandise." So they might use it in the future, but none of it is directly going in the expansions, it seems.

Oh, Brad, never stop commissioning beautiful art that ultimately just ends up gathering dust in the L99 servers, or only appears on one prize item that perhaps a half-dozen people get access to. I have a number of fantastic landscape pieces I oversaw from my time on Grand Chronicle that never saw the light of day for reasons I don't know and can't fathom. Ah, well, you can find most of it on the artist's page.

theironjef posted:

Yeah, they waited long enough since the last two KS disasters apparently. I think most people don't even remember that there was a Rifts board game KS between the poo poo show of Robotech stuff and now. Which crashed and burned because the guy running it was just some dimwit game store friend of Simbieda's with no experience at anything and he kept picking fights in the comments of his own KS. I think. It's been a while.

It got Robotech RPG folks brigading in there and led to the grim point where the creator tried to take his own life. It wasn't officially a Palladium Kickstarter and imploded very quickly, which is probably why it was forgotten, it didn't really have time to make much headway before it was cancelled

To be fair to Palladium Books, their crowdfunding on books has generally gone fine. Northern Gun 1 & 2, Lemuria, and Rifts Bestiary 1 were crowdfunded privately and came out fine, if rather late in some cases. The Kickstarter for Titan Robotics went well. But Rifts Bestiary 2 is still in limbo after three years, though, so they're not batting 1.000. However, this Kickstarter involves a lot of tchotchke by other companies, variant covers, and a lot of artists, so there's more points of failure. I'm curious if Paramount is offering any actual support in that regard, or is just handling approval.

Of course, outside of stretch goal material and a few added mechanical bits, there's no additional writing to be done, and the original living writers aren't seeing a cent of this AFAIK; two of the notable ones (Daniel Greenberg, JP "Jape" Trostle) don't even earn a mention in the campaign last I checked. There's also no PDF due to contractual restrictions, so any digital preservation will be a matter for pirates.

Lastly, the announcement was done with Legion of Myth, an intensely alt-right group of bigot streamers; not that the specific interview saw too much drama, but a trivial look at their "about us" page will give you the tip of the iceberg to tell you what they're about, and they're closely associated with a number of grog.txt regulars and others who have been widely banned by the TTRPG community. They haven't done anything with them since, and I suspect their licensor may have had something to say there, but time will tell. There are definitely folks in the Kickstarter comments who go on about things like how the insanity tables weren't so bad and if you disagree you're just a fragile snowflake, etc., who are tolerated.

Anyway, I put out a modern, reduced-controversy homage years back at this point, with the first expansion out! Whether folks opt to back the Kickstarter, I hope you check out my more playable, expanded version as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Lastly, the announcement was done with Legion of Myth, an intensely alt-right group of bigot streamers; not that the specific interview saw too much drama, but a trivial look at their "about us" page will give you the tip of the iceberg to tell you what they're about, and they're closely associated with a number of grog.txt regulars and others who have been widely banned by the TTRPG community. They haven't done anything with them since, and I suspect their licensor may have had something to say there, but time will tell. There are definitely folks in the Kickstarter comments who go on about things like how the insanity tables weren't so bad and if you disagree you're just a fragile snowflake, etc., who are tolerated.

I believe one of them said without irony that the Coalition States were in fact humanity's best hope without a hint of irony instead of skull-faced future Nazis. To be fair as we've discussed elsewhere even Kevin's been shaky on that subject himself.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Anyone checked out the Mythic Bastionland kickstarter? I've got hus Into the Odd, and really like Electric Bastionland, but I've never really got to play them. I know I shouldn't...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

ovenboy posted:

Anyone checked out the Mythic Bastionland kickstarter? I've got hus Into the Odd, and really like Electric Bastionland, but I've never really got to play them. I know I shouldn't...

I saw this, but I was holding off because I felt like ItO was thinner on flavor than I was expecting, so it's hard to do a flavor-based sell for me on that game unless it's really gotten more substantial.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There's a substantial free quickstart - 74 pages, including setting/campaign-building and designer's notes, and 1/6th of the knight types and myths from the full version.

quote:

Embark on a quest like no other with Mythic Bastionland, a tabletop RPG set in the imagined past of Into the Odd and Electric Bastionland , built on the same lightning fast, ultra-streamlined rules system.

Get the free 74 page Quickstart Rules here, enough to start playing right away.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NpWh9Du7XnNsGZf38rW7KVVn6gKOpTVT/view?usp=drive_fs

It's the second sentence on the page and well worth a look.

EB also has a giant chunk of it available for free, and it's a lot more fleshed-out than ItO.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Antivehicular posted:

I saw this, but I was holding off because I felt like ItO was thinner on flavor than I was expecting, so it's hard to do a flavor-based sell for me on that game unless it's really gotten more substantial.

Both Electric Bastionland and this game are indeed significantly more flaviourful than ItO.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ovenboy posted:

If it wasn't launching at a very bad time for me financially, I would have been a first-hour backer for it like I was for Electric Bastionland and ItO remastered. Just can't swing the print copy this time around, so I'll have to hope some make it to the secondhand market.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There's a substantial free quickstart - 74 pages, including setting/campaign-building and designer's notes, and 1/6th of the knight types and myths from the full version.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NpWh9Du7XnNsGZf38rW7KVVn6gKOpTVT/view?usp=drive_fs

It's the second sentence on the page and well worth a look.

EB also has a giant chunk of it available for free, and it's a lot more fleshed-out than ItO.

Yeah, I checked that out and thought it looked very cool. I was a huge fan of The Green Knight as well, when we read it as book of the month a couple of years back.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ovenboy posted:

Chris' MO with his games is to continually put out the entire product for free until he's ready to make a final push and have it physically published. So, the 74 page preview is effectively the entire existing game right now. I suspect that as with Electric Bastionland, a free pdf version will continue to be offered with the content missing being the additional character/myth options he has yet to finish.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
34 hours left on Deathmatch Island, from Evil Hat. A fantastic implementation of Agon inspired by the Hunger Games, Lost, Squid Game, Alice in Borderland, etc., if that's your jam.

https://www.backerkit.com/c/projects/evil-hat/deathmatch-island

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/dceased-zombicide

CMON’s DCeased-Zombicide campaign is closing its first day and is barely above their funding goal. I don’t remember how quickly their previous Zombicide campaigns took off, but this feels like an extremely low first day if they’re trying to rival their $9mil Marvel Zombicide haul.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/dceased-zombicide

CMON’s DCeased-Zombicide campaign is closing its first day and is barely above their funding goal. I don’t remember how quickly their previous Zombicide campaigns took off, but this feels like an extremely low first day if they’re trying to rival their $9mil Marvel Zombicide haul.

Mordred made 600K and the last Zombicide, White Death, made 3.8mil

perhaps CMON have too many campaigns still to deliver? plus who is even buying all of these extremely similar zombicides?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

As far as comic nerds go, DCeased isn't nearly as loved as Marvel Zombies so I wouldn't expect it to do Marvel numbers.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have not cared about Zombicide since the 1st edition of it came out, but even I was weirdly tempted by the Zombie Spider-Man stuff when I saw it in the game store the other day.

Luckily I kept my sanity about buying games I will definitely never play... But having Zombie Scorpion does have a certain appeal.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

CODChimera posted:

perhaps CMON have too many campaigns still to deliver? plus who is even buying all of these extremely similar zombicides?

Yeah. I’m a big comic book guy and a board game player, but this has no appeal for me. Especially at $130. Is CMON like Mythic where they’re paying for the last Kickstarter with funds from the current Kickstarter? And if so does this flopping cause a death spiral?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I’d only want to get it if I had all the Marvel one for the crossover possibility. Since I skipped that, I can ignore this because my FOMO would annoy me about not having everything.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like Zombies are kind of played out. I have felt that way for close to a decade now actually.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I have one of the zombicide games and will occasionally wish I had more content, but then I recall that we have only played it two or three times.

Estimated shipping of $35 for the base game means a basic pledge puts you over $150 for a beer a pretzel’s game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Estimated shipping of $35 for the base game means a basic pledge puts you over $150 for a beer a pretzel’s game.

Yep. This is why I don't do CMON games anymore and especially not Zombicide. It's not that they're particularly bad games, some are even fairly good. (Zombicide's not amazing but I had fun with it.) But they're always expensive and usually take up tons of space. And I can handle that for an experience I think is straight up great (Aeon Trespass, say), but it's never something I seek out and CMON has never made a game I feel strongly enough about to deal with that side of them.

Like, Marvel United is a pretty good game. But outside of core boxes that aren't really enough variety (at least for me), the pricetag and space requirements go up real fast. and it's far too light for me to want to spend hundreds and entire Kallax cubes on.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know Marvel stuff sells pretty well but are the margins even that good between all the logistics and licensing fees?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Invalid Validation posted:

I know Marvel stuff sells pretty well but are the margins even that good between all the logistics and licensing fees?

Depends on the fees. I know fees have gone up over the last few years but not the exact amounts. It really depends on Marvel whether or not it matters.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
It also doesn't help that DCeased only has one revealed add-on so far, that took a while to show off. Marvel Zombies launched with the big stupid Galactus statue that was more expensive than the game, and even if 90+% of people didn't buy it, it certainly helped push hype for the campaign. And Zombicide isn't really my thing, but I feel like most of their campaigns tend to launch with at least some kind of expansion or extra tokens or whatever to buy to build momentum. This campaign has nothing beyond the main game and a single character pack of kinda random feeling characters (I guess they were a group in the comics, but I never read DCeased)

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

malkav11 posted:

Yep. This is why I don't do CMON games anymore and especially not Zombicide. It's not that they're particularly bad games, some are even fairly good. (Zombicide's not amazing but I had fun with it.) But they're always expensive and usually take up tons of space. And I can handle that for an experience I think is straight up great (Aeon Trespass, say), but it's never something I seek out and CMON has never made a game I feel strongly enough about to deal with that side of them.

Like, Marvel United is a pretty good game. But outside of core boxes that aren't really enough variety (at least for me), the pricetag and space requirements go up real fast. and it's far too light for me to want to spend hundreds and entire Kallax cubes on.

I do love my two CMON games, Marvel United and Bloodborne, but they have such a huge shelf commitment that I'm thinking about getting rid of them. My all-in pledges for both (plus x-men) have taken up about 1/6th of my total shelf space, which is just too much for how little I play them. I also feel bad about getting rid of boxes, so consolidating them down isn't really something I want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Desfore posted:

It also doesn't help that DCeased only has one revealed add-on so far, that took a while to show off. Marvel Zombies launched with the big stupid Galactus statue that was more expensive than the game, and even if 90+% of people didn't buy it, it certainly helped push hype for the campaign.

I would never back a new CMON project but I immediately clicked through to this one just to see what the Galactus equivalent was gonna be. Spectre? Anti-Monitor? Maybe that half Superman half Batman mecha? And sure enough I was immediately disappointed.