Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
My boss gave the entire office covid this week. I've never had it. I haven't even told my wife yet. Everyone took tests today. I'm so angry. We are so infuriated here.

My wife and I have successfully flown international and domestic several times over the last two years, always careful, and this is how I get it. My boss goes away to Vegas, comes back sick, and brings it to the office (thinking it's just a regular cold, like that makes a difference). :argh::argh::argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
never trust anyone

always wear masks

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Kramdar posted:

My boss gave the entire office covid this week. I've never had it. I haven't even told my wife yet. Everyone took tests today. I'm so angry. We are so infuriated here.

My wife and I have successfully flown international and domestic several times over the last two years, always careful, and this is how I get it. My boss goes away to Vegas, comes back sick, and brings it to the office (thinking it's just a regular cold, like that makes a difference). :argh::argh::argh:

Sorry man, poo poo sucks :(

Be advised that it might still be possible for your wife to avoid getting infected. I hope some of the posters in the thread whom have successfully managed to curb household spread will chime in, but basically it comes down to quarantine, masking and corsi cubes.

Also get Paxlovid ASAP. "Test to treat" is the free (public) option or alternatively Sesamecare (which costs a limited amount of money).

Pingui has issued a correction as of 03:09 on Nov 17, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
enjoy getting free paxlovid before the window closes in January

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Asproigerosis posted:

Chicken pox encephalitis/meningitis, wonder how this could happen...

Reminds me of this article I saw earlier (auto-translated):

https://www.lexpress.fr/sciences-sante/meningites-des-niveaux-jamais-atteints-en-france-TZRHDCU3LFHEDDTY2IOIQAC3EQ/ posted:

Meningitis: levels “never reached” in France
While 298 cases of meningococcal meningitis were recorded between January and September 2019, more than 400 cases have already been recorded since the start of 2023, an increase of 36%, warns the Institut Pasteur.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Used a couple more Metrix tests for screening for Thanksgiving, seems to be working OK?

Costs are down to $25/test, $35 for the reader. Which isn't bad at all compared to rapids. Assuming these are actually as accurate as they claim. https://www.aptitudemedical.com/product-for-home-use-presale

Amazon is now listing the new Pfizer Lucira combo COVID/Flu test at $50: https://www.amazon.com/LUCIRA%AE-COVID-19-Results-Emergency-Authorized/dp/B0CL7S9F4P So I guess if you would like to know if it might be Flu? Does anybody still do Tamiflu these days?

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Steve Yun posted:

never trust anyone

always wear masks

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a weird respiratory illness occurring in dogs across the US: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/ex...3FP2UFCEBU6F2A/
Experts are apparently recommending that people isolate their dogs and avoid boarding them over the holidays which is a DOG LOCKDOWN

people on dog reddit posting a lot about this and how their poor pups are lethargic and feverish with ground-glass opacity on chest x-rays -_-

i got vaxxed today in glorious Alberta a few hours ago and now my arm/neck/head aches in a good familiar way, although the pharmacist forgot to inject the flu vax. the pharmacy only had pfizer but my pharmacist sounded like he thought they might be getting novavax at some point so who knows

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

Be advised that it might still be possible for your wife to avoid getting infected. I hope some of the posters in the thread whom have successfully managed to curb household spread will chime in, but basically it comes down to quarantine, masking and corsi cubes.

Yeah, that all worked for my wife. In retrospect it probably helped that I had a very faint positive test shortly after I first got symptoms, and I noticed rebound symptoms right away. Odds must be worse for anyone who's asymptomatic and infectious for days, though all of the same precautions are still worth taking once you know someone's positive.

e: vv open windows too. Luckily it was September and didn't get too hot or cold.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Nov 17, 2023

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pingui posted:

I hope some of the posters in the thread whom have successfully managed to curb household spread will chime in, but basically it comes down to quarantine, masking and corsi cubes.

This and opening all the windows is what I did when Mrs. Parasite got got. I managed to avoid it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asproigerosis posted:

Chicken pox encephalitis/meningitis, wonder how this could happen...

Chicken pox encephalitis/meningitis
Daily news giving me ulcerative colitis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXuLRqiiKYI

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Steve Yun posted:

enjoy getting free paxlovid before the window closes in January

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
capitalist hellscape private enterprise health care wins again

until January

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

My understanding is it's more like December, December is a transition period when pharmacies begin shipping their unused stock of pax back to the government

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/jacquirickard/status/1725297145266192562?s=46

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

maybe they all tested beforehand and this is at a private residence :shobon:

when does the window close for free pax again? I should get on that test2treat train...

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Pyrolocutus posted:

JN: "This isn't even my final form."

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

ngl this round of the vaxx is kicking my rear end, i'm getting muscle cramps now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

lmao just jamming needles into my pumpkin head to scare children

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
FREE*

lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is Democracy manifest.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Omfg I cannot loving believe someone would just jab needles into a loving pumpkin for a prop like that, how were they not stolen instantly

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

icantfindaname posted:

My understanding is it's more like December, December is a transition period when pharmacies begin shipping their unused stock of pax back to the government

Yeah nominally and might cause some issues, though I suspect the larger one is that the unwinding of free Pax will be in the meaty part of a wave, combined with no option for restocking.

Anyways, I am sure the very smart people in charge have thought it through and we are just being doomers. Trust the individual public health economics!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Prevalence and Risk Factors of Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 Among United States Veterans"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1047279723002132 posted:

Abstract
Purpose
To better understand Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) in the Veteran population, this study aims to determine the prevalence of PASC and identify risk factors associated with its development.

Methods
This retrospective cohort study included 363,825 Veterans that tested positive for COVID-19 between February 1, 2020, and September 30, 2022. The primary outcome was the development of PASC 30 to 180 days following an acute infection with SARS-CoV-2. Multivariate logistic regression was utilized to examine factors associated with PASC.

Results
Of the 363,825 Veterans included in the analysis, 164,315 (45%) displayed symptoms of PASC. The Veterans in this analysis were predominantly male, non-Hispanic White, under the age of 65 years old, and lived in an urban residence. The strongest predictors for PASC included Non-Hispanic Black or African American race compared to Non-Hispanic White race (aOR=1.14), being between the ages of 50 and 64 compared to ages 50 and below (aOR=1.80), diabetes (aOR=8.46), and severe acute infection (aOR=1.42).

Conclusion
Results demonstrate potential health inequities for vulnerable individuals, as well as increased risk for individuals with pre-existing comorbidities. The prevalence of PASC provides estimates for future health care utilization. The risk factors identified can aid public health interventions to reduce the burden of PASC.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australia weekly update! Nationally speaking, cases in aged care homes have evened out. Are we past the crest of the wave?

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1725397307934577052#m

However, when you drill down a little deeper it turns out that dip was mostly driven by data from NSW and here in Vic it's still full steam ahead

In conclusion: :shrug: :shrug:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

(..)
However, when you drill down a little deeper it turns out that dip was mostly driven by data from NSW and here in Vic it's still full steam ahead
(..)

Waves go up and waves go down. You can't explain that.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Pingui posted:

I hope some of the posters in the thread whom have successfully managed to curb household spread will chime in, but basically it comes down to quarantine, masking and corsi cubes.

We put a fan pointing out the window of the kid's room(where she mostly stayed), gave her an exclusive bathroom, made her wear a mask in common areas, and ran corsis/coways everywhere.

Nobody else ever tested positive - although I swear the arm I got my shot in was lighting up like it bore the brand of sacrifice for a bit.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kramdar posted:

It sucks rear end that your two choices at this point are to either mask up everywhere or just wait for the most selfish rear end in a top hat in your orbit to infect you.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

For every one person who knowingly goes around with COVID, there's a hundred more who go around with COVID while saying it's just allergies or the cold.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Amount of COVID in wastewater in Finland, averaged from 9 different cities' wastewater data.

They ran out of Y-axis today, and it didn't automatically scale it.. so the newest datapoint didn't fit the chart anymore.

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Ihmemies posted:

(..)
I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

How far back does the x-axis go?

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Sure makes me feel awesome about my GP's decision to deny my request to get a Meningococcal C vaccine, on the grounds that I wasn't in a high risk group (i.e. not in school or the military). I hadn't received it since it didn't exist when I *was* in that group. How fun!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

the need to suck & gently caress conquers all

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Tzen posted:

the need to suck & gently caress conquers all

I mean, biologically, yeah. it’s a shame we haven’t conquered our lizard brains

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

shazbot posted:

I mean, biologically, yeah. it’s a shame we haven’t conquered our lizard brains

somehow I have conquered my lizard brain.

I must not be one of us.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

somehow I have conquered my lizard brain.

I must not be one of us.

you are one of us not one of them

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

shazbot posted:

you are one of us not one of them

wait, what are we???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
an idiot who cares about not getting infected with a novel virus before we fully understand all the ramifications