Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol that a fed member used the phrase "going off a cliff".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah but that’s an easy problem to solve in the ER: honey drip gauge needle with 3mg/kg of ketamine, right through their pants into the thigh, have respiratory nearby.

Family is a much bigger problem. We have multiple cops in our er at all times, both working off hours and just kind of circulating. If a family member strikes a provider or nurse or cna (lol when we have them) they’re getting jumped almost immediately and the ones doing it know none of the medical personnel are going to be “able to recall” exactly what happened.

I’ve told this story before but HCA bought my local hospital about six years ago. Prior to that purchase they were a top 10 hospital system nationally. Since then everything that isn’t cardiology, ortho or surgery has gotten the axe. Shortly after the acquisitions, nurses went on strike because of how bad it was. They won, but HCA has been slow rolling the changes and forcing out as many people as they can and replacing them with baby nurses and travellers. They’ve largely succeeded.

One of the worst things they’ve done is get around ER nursing minimums. You have to have x nurse per y number of patients just for obvious safety and patient care reasons. This is different by floor? Cardiac ICU? 1-2 patients per nurse. Ortho step down? Maybe 4-5 on a good unit, 10 on a bad one. University of Vermont nurses have a clause in their employment that stipulates the hospital must being in travelers just to make sure the regular nurses meet their minimums.

To keep from hiring nurses in the ED, HCA just doesn’t let them in there. If you show up to the hospital, and you are not septic, having an MI or stroke, or have a bone sticking out, you are going to sit in the waiting room. Period. There will be one nurse getting vitals. There are some doctors behind a screen in what used to be a cafe. All CMS reimbursement cases about is how quickly patients are seen. So if you show up with flu like symptoms, you’ll get checked in, have your vitals taken, get two minutes with a doctor, and then get comfy. This is with 80 percent of a brand new ER empty. I have reduced and splinted bones in the waiting room and I am not exaggerating. I’m sure you can imagine what that ER waiting room is like at night.

If you come via EMS at night? If it’s a trauma or heart you’re going right to a bay and getting great care. Grandma fall down go boom at a nursing home? You’ll be given pain meds (maybe), women will get a sponge hooked up to a tube on their vagina to suck up urine, and uh whelp see you in the morning! Hope the overworked ED doc remembered your protocols.

The main problem isn’t the violent or angry family members: it’s the poo poo heads in nashville with a management degree from MTSU realizing they can maximize shareholder value by leaving beds empty and charging patients for bandaids. These people have addresses.

We solved it with versed when I worked in an ER. Versed is the knockout champion.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

what a normal thing to say.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Orange Devil posted:

Is just feeding the cycle by responding to violence with more (state-sponsored) violence. You're all basically becoming cops here. I get that it's to protect yourselves, but that's also what cops say when they do cop violence in their cop jobs.

The whole system is violent, top to bottom. The main problem is capitalism. The only solution is revolution.

The drunk rear end in a top hat that decided to fracture the orbit of one of the kindest RN's on the floor isn't the state. Sick people aren't going to be pleasant and aren't going to make the best decisions but you deserve what you get if you're going to be violent against people literally tending to your health. Capitalism certainly contributes but that means the frustration should be directed elsewhere, not at the people helping you.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Azuth0667 posted:

The drunk rear end in a top hat that decided to fracture the orbit of one of the kindest RN's on the floor isn't the state. Sick people aren't going to be pleasant and aren't going to make the best decisions but you deserve what you get if you're going to be violent against people literally tending to your health. Capitalism certainly contributes but that means the frustration should be directed elsewhere, not at the people helping you.

I have so much sympathy for ER workers. They get attacked constantly. The hospitals around me have started running everyone through metal detectors as they come in after lunatics kept pulling guns on staff over and over, just every week.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
FLAGRANT SYSTEM ERROR
Economy Over
Cliff = Very Yes

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

This is just blatant price gouging

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

I have so much sympathy for ER workers. They get attacked constantly. The hospitals around me have started running everyone through metal detectors as they come in after lunatics kept pulling guns on staff over and over, just every week.

The only way I see this improving is if the profit-seekers are removed from healthcare entirely. I don't know how you get a hospital to reform as an employee owned non-profit co-op though. At least half of the reason people are so violent and high-strung is that everything has been changed to optimize profit at the cost of the quality of the healthcare.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Azuth0667 posted:

:yeah:

Just because there's a cycle of violence or whatever doesn't give someone the right to perpetuate it, nor does it mean the buck has to stop at the non-violent person who must think very hard and compassionately about the entire life story of the person harming the people trying to help them and others and that they must not retaliate or even really try to stop them.

Orange Devil posted:

Is just feeding the cycle by responding to violence with more (state-sponsored) violence. You're all basically becoming cops here. I get that it's to protect yourselves, but that's also what cops say when they do cop violence in their cop jobs.

The whole system is violent, top to bottom. The main problem is capitalism. The only solution is revolution.

Revolution: Famously non-violent.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
My "The Economy is not going off of a cliff" T-shirt, etc.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dejoy was put there to break the USPS, nothing else. No reason besides that. That's been a gop white whale for decades.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ebola Roulette posted:

This is just blatant price gouging

“value based” market pricing

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Maximizing inventory revenue

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Dejoy was put there to break the USPS, nothing else. No reason besides that. That's been a gop white whale for decades.

Vote.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Stupid idiot: Workers deserve to not be assaulted at their job

Brain genious: Ok cop

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Yep

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the state can be bad and individuals can be bad. America is a land of contrasts.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

The new regime didn't replace Dejoy. 🤔

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Mustached Demon posted:

"gop"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

I have kind of wondered what the point of all the book banning and poo poo is. People complaining don't read. Kids don't read. Why do they seem to care so much?

But if it's a wedge to close libraries or sell them off, I guess that has a logic to it.
political jockeying in the electoral circus to be the favored boy of capital. a domain where vigorous debate does not threaten the interests of the wealthy and crowds out other discussion

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

people like to get riled up and hoot n hollar in a crowd, book bans and school boards are just easy low hanging fruit because they let any old dumbass speak at the podium and rant even if they don't live in the district (let alone have kids). assholes just feel empowered now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Azuth0667 posted:

It's not even the sick people that are the big problem given the repeated mentions that it's relatives of patients doing so much of the assaults.

A shitload of americans are regressing to schoolyard bullies and just assaulting literally everyone they think they can get away with, it seems like.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Tesla Sweden union strike update:

quote:

Now the Swedish Building Workers' Union is also getting involved in the conflict with Tesla. From 28 November, members of companies bound by collective agreements with the Swedish Building Workers' Union will refuse to carry out both new construction and service and repair work at Tesla's workshops around Sweden.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

"The bathrooms in homeless shelters are always hosed up because the people in them are uncouth savages" one says, brain empty, no thoughts, comfortable.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Tesla Sweden union strike update:

owns

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Beached Whale posted:

The playbook is raising rates so people see the post office as a wasteful alternative to our lean, efficient, privately run competitors so it dies off. Then when there's no competition they can form a duopoly and cut service to rural people and jack up the price on anyone else while cutting the quality of service.

It's okay. In the new improved private contractor mail system they'll carefully deliver your parcel to your door, gently handing it over with a smile and signature.

Postage will be a hundred and fifty bucks though. Ah progress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LizClaman/status/1725239856039686257

IBM has always stood against antisemitism. Google "IBM and the Holocaust" to find out more

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

IBM has always stood against antisemitism. Google "IBM and the Holocaust" to find out more

so what are you saying, IBM is in the wrong here?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SirPablo posted:

so what are you saying, IBM is in the wrong here?

I'm saying IBM should never have existed long enough to be pulling out of advertisement deals for Elon Musk's X (formerly Twitter) in the year 2023.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is this the "free Palestine" type of "antisemitism" or the "Jews secretly control everything" type of antisemitism?

Since it's Musk I'm guessing the latter

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bot 02 posted:

Is this the "free Palestine" type of "antisemitism" or the "Jews secretly control everything" type of antisemitism?

Since it's Musk I'm guessing the latter

quote:

Okay.

Jewish communties have been pushing the exact kind of dialectical hatred against whites that they claim to want people to stop using against them.

I'm deeply disinterested in giving the tiniest poo poo now about western Jewish populations coming to the disturbing realization that those hordes of minorities that support flooding their country don't exactly like them too much.

You want truth said to your face, there it is.

Musk replied to this with "You have said the actual truth"

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

oh racism too, nice

e: jeeze that post is all over the place. yikes

veepfake has issued a correction as of 09:35 on Nov 17, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This has been a long time coming but the finish line is finally in view:

https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1725290175419277450

quote:

Google confirms they will disable MV2 extensions including uBlock Origin in mid 2024

https://developer.chrome.com/blog/resuming-the-transition-to-mv3/

https://9to5google.com/2023/11/16/chrome-extensions-disabled/

quote:

In December of last year, we paused the planned deprecation of Manifest V2 in order to address developer feedback and deliver better solutions to migration issues. As a result of this feedback, we’ve made a number of changes to Manifest V3 to close these gaps,

With these changes in place, we’ve seen support for Manifest V3 increase significantly among the extension developer community. Specifically, we are encouraged by our ongoing dialogue with the developers of content blocking extensions, who initially felt Manifest V3 could impact their ability to provide users with the features they’ve come to expect.

"With Manifest V3, we've observed the immense effort that browser teams (Chrome in particular, but also other browsers) are putting into working on a unified platform, and I see how they are listening to the feedback from extension developers. As always, migrating to a new platform is a large undertaking, but we're very hopeful that the new unified platform will bring substantial benefits to the entire browser extensions ecosystem, and that ad blockers like us will be able to continue being up to the task and further improve.” - Andrey Meshkov, CTO AdGuard

Having addressed these migration concerns from our developer community, we are ready to continue moving towards Manifest V3 and the higher security and privacy guarantees it provides. As a result, we are resuming the deprecation timeline.

We will begin disabling Manifest V2 extensions in pre-stable versions of Chrome (Dev, Canary, and Beta) as early as June 2024, in Chrome 127 and later. Users impacted by the rollout will see Manifest V2 extensions automatically disabled in their browser and will no longer be able to install Manifest V2 extensions from the Chrome Web Store.

quote:

To more specific and to avoid confusion (as it probably will), Google Chrome is transitioning to MV3 (Manifest Version 3) which alleges to "improve content filtering support" for the Declarative Net Request API which is used by many ad blocking plugins (and many, many other Chrome plugins). Google states these changes are for API security concerns. Many plugin developers (uBlock included) expressed concern that this move from MV2 to MV3 will render their plugins useless (or non-functional), despite this feedback Google has stated they will move forward regardless.

Some speculate this is an intentional move by Google due to suspected loss of ad-revenue.

We don't know.

The EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) stated they believe MV3 puts unnecessary restrictions on developers, individuals from AdGuard believe this to be a positive change.

uBlock Origin is prepared for MV3 with uBlock Lite, however this version is limited its functionality (so we're told).

quote:

ublock origin lite lacks a lot of features that actually makes ublock the best:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/1067als/eli5_ublock_lite_vs_ublock_origin/

Not being able to update the filters without having to update the extension itself is a really big deal! I mean when ublock 1.53 came out, it took google almost a freaking week to finally allow the new version.

Why is that a big deal? Imagine that you have a site that you use a lot, that site then implements a way to detect adblock but you are stuck with ublock origin lite, in other words, you can't craft your own filter to by pass that site anti-adblocking(if you have the know how), you can't also come to ubo reddit to ask someone else to craft them for you and with that instantly solve the issue and you also don't have access to element picker which could also solve problem!

Now, the only thing you can do? Report the problem to ubo team, then wait until they add the new filter which will bypass the antiblock to the new version of ubo lite which you don't know when its getting released and after that you will have to wait until google authorizes the new update to be released which like I've said, takes several days!

Another example is youtube itself, if we were stuck with ubo lite right now, we would be losing the war against youtube anti-adblock badly! Because the only reason ubo is kinda able to keep up with youtube anti-adblocking is because after youtube updates their blocking script(which is every 12 hours), ubo team then updates their filters and then we as users just need to run the update manually inside the extension and boom we are back on business! Which won't be possible with ubo lite at all.

we already knew this was coming since at least 2021 and I've been on Firefox in anticipation for years but it's finally coming into full view

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

This has been a long time coming but the finish line is finally in view:

https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1725290175419277450

we already knew this was coming since at least 2021 and I've been on Firefox in anticipation for years but it's finally coming into full view
yup. called it a week ago with the recent YouTube anti-adblocker push that they're going to finally push the ublock ban over to the finishline

everyone should have moved off Chrome like, yesterday

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

alright fine, I'll just start using edge instead. wait, what is this "chromium" you're talking about? I thought Microsoft made their own web browsers and I can get adblockers from the microsoft store

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

quote:

API security concerns

weird way to spell muh adsense money

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

palindrome posted:

alright fine, I'll just start using edge instead. wait, what is this "chromium" you're talking about? I thought Microsoft made their own web browsers and I can get adblockers from the microsoft store

Yeah, one of the things that sucks rear end about the whole Chrome situation is how like 99% of browsers these days are just Chrome reskins. Other than Firefox, I don't know of any other open source browser engines that are still being developed.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, one of the things that sucks rear end about the whole Chrome situation is how like 99% of browsers these days are just Chrome reskins. Other than Firefox, I don't know of any other open source browser engines that are still being developed.

"open source" aka everything is free except the locks and keys to the money kingdom

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i just switched to firefox, it works fine and imported a ton of poo poo from my chrome account and syncs with mobile so why the gently caress use chrome anymore at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

firefox has gotten really good. I used to run a bazillion different privacy extensions, but nowadays you can set up an arkenfox user.js and pretty much just run ublock and one or two others.