Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Gabriel Grub posted:

Ask if you get the horns and pitchfork on the first day, or if you have to complete training first.

As long as I get a chair and sensible hours, I am good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

This should result in a thread ban, at minimum

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Ungratek posted:

This should result in a thread ban, at minimum

I take it you have not had good experiences with this organization

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Zoeb posted:

I take it you have not had good experiences with this organization

All of the feverish right wing stereotypes about the IRS are actually true of the California FTB.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
No I'm not giving you a 51 state breakdown and copies of all my other state tax returns

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Gabriel Grub posted:

All of the feverish right wing stereotypes about the IRS are actually true of the California FTB.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I love when the FTB tells an NRA who spent a semester studying in CA that he needs to prove he wasn't in California for the last twenty years.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Gabriel Grub posted:

Yeah I'm just getting out of school I don't actually have any experience and accounting. The organization was at a job fair and it was one of many that I applied for because I need a job really bad but I also have some issues with standing up all day and don't want to leave Illinois.

Looking more into it

Why is California so aggressive in giving its tax laws extraterritorial reach?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Definitely take the job if you get it. FTB sucks for us but I bet it's a good job.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

First two days on the job. Quite slower. Not as kich stress at the moment. Would like to not wait on workflow so I could have a better clue on what to work on next when supervisors are out.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Ask them?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jenkl posted:

Ask them?

Did shortly after. Got some more work done and stuff for tomorrow.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sounds much more appropriate than the last position, congrats!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone get to mid career doing accounting and loving hate it but there are no career switches you can make that would pay you anywhere near what you're making in the job you hate? lol

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mcmagic posted:

Anyone get to mid career doing accounting and loving hate it but there are no career switches you can make that would pay you anywhere near what you're making in the job you hate? lol

I’m desperately trying to move from being a CFO to a COO?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

pseudanonymous posted:

Not sure what that would even look like haha. I'm a mid level finance guy in a huge organization and I just hate it and want to do something very different but I'm in my late 30s and don't have the financial flexibility to go back to school and not work for a few years. I literally want to do anything but accounting/finance for the rest of my life.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I wouldn't resign myself to a life of misery just yet. You don't necessarily need a new degree to change jobs, although you will be starting from the bottom again, which probably means a pay cut in the near term, but probably worth it rather than hate every minute of your working life? My brother got an accounting degree, didn't like accounting, so he went and did a bunch of IT certs and now he works in IT.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

mcmagic posted:

sorta, yeah. I think I could tolerate my job better if I had enough free time to pursue my desires outside of work, but I also have young children and young children are hateful to the idea of you having free time (while also locking you into your job since you can't afford any pay cut or loss of benefits), so yeah i guess most days i hate my existence, even though it's only partly my career's fault

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Have you considered becoming an actuary? If you stay out of valuation the work-life balance is excellent.

You'll start finding the thread title offensive, though.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Not sure what that would even look like haha. I'm a mid level finance guy in a huge organization and I just hate it and want to do something very different but I'm in my late 30s and don't have the financial flexibility to go back to school and not work for a few years. I literally want to do anything but accounting/finance for the rest of my life.

Just Learn To Code Bro is basically a meme at this point, but historically tech is a viable path away from pure accounting and finance without going back for a degree and with comparable comp. There are a ton of resources available for self learning, depending on what you want to learn. The tech job market is in the dump for the foreseeable future, but at least you are gainfully employed now and do things on your terms. Learning some combination of SQL, python, and data visualization could also lead to some more stimulating work within your current org. You never know.

I have to say though, my happiness in every job I’ve ever had was determined by the attitudes of my coworkers and the general vibes of the organization, not necessarily what I was doing day to day.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

mcmagic posted:

Maybe just try doing accounting somewhere else? I would kill myself if I worked for a big firm and had to like, commute and wear a suit everyday but even though I have to deal with tax season crunch every year I like my job because I'm pretty much my own boss and I'm good at what I do.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, is this a career issue or a this employer issue?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m coming to terms with the fact that my job is most people’s least favorite part about business, especially the parts of the cycle where we have to tell operations/sales/whoever that their stated plan is a bad financial decision or that there’s no money to fund it.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Man, I'm so glad I get to do the kind of accounting where I help small and medium business owners stay compliant and plan for the future.

It's often tedious but you actually get some appreciation and satisfaction from what you do.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gabriel Grub posted:

Man, I'm so glad I get to do the kind of accounting where I help small and medium business owners stay compliant and plan for the future.

It's often tedious but you actually get some appreciation and satisfaction from what you do.

Currently working for a security firm. The good news is so far billing and updating systems has yet to have someone call me a disgusting parasite harassing them about unpaid invoices.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nonexistence posted:

Yeah, is this a career issue or a this employer issue?

It's a career issue. My job is perfectly fine. I'm hybrid 2-3 days a week in the office and my co workers and boss are all fine and I have decent work life balance. The work is just really boring and i'm pretty mid at it and I can't see any finance/accounting job being much better.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 17, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

mcmagic posted:

It's a career issue. My job is perfectly fine. I'm hybrid 2-3 days a week in the office and my co workers and boss are all fine and I have decent work life balance. The work is just really boring and i'm pretty mid at it and I can't see any finance/accounting job being much better.

I’m curious what you think would be significantly improved in another career path? I mean being a mid level office guy in all the other paths I’ve seen doesn’t seem much better. The early/public stages of the accounting career are a nightmare but after that it’s mostly like every other soul draining job in our capitalist system, with maybe some more excel than the other options.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

I’m curious what you think would be significantly improved in another career path? I mean being a mid level office guy in all the other paths I’ve seen doesn’t seem much better. The early/public stages of the accounting career are a nightmare but after that it’s mostly like every other soul draining job in our capitalist system, with maybe some more excel than the other options.

i don't want to be a midlevel office guy anymore. thats the main issue so i think the other jobs you'd have in mind wouldn't be any better. I'm on the industry side though, not public accounting.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

pseudanonymous posted:

Smart man or woman, a CFO is a dog that caught the car.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

i don't want to be a midlevel office guy anymore. thats the main issue so i think the other jobs you'd have in mind wouldn't be any better. I'm on the industry side though, not public accounting.

Mid-career ennui is pretty common, but you must’ve chosen the “become a mid level office guy” major for a reason at some point.

I hear cops get good overtime. Only kinda kidding.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is treasury work normal boring or turbo boring? Cash flow management stuff seems interesting to me for some reason. Even mundane things like “everyone gets an extra $100 at christmas, where do we park the cash and how do we hedge the risk of the CEO bumping it to $150 this year.”

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is treasury work normal boring or turbo boring? Cash flow management stuff seems interesting to me for some reason. Even mundane things like “everyone gets an extra $100 at christmas, where do we park the cash and how do we hedge the risk of the CEO bumping it to $150 this year.”

I worked back office treasury at a bank and I thought about killing myself every day on the way to work.

I’m not being hyperbolic.

But I think corporate treasury would be a lot better, and there’s probably a lot of crossover with FP&A, do you like building models, like DCF models and stuff like that? I really liked real options but I’ve never seen an opportunity to use it.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Hello, layman here. I'm involved in dissolving a LLC, and a counterparty wants me to make a declaration that the LLC has no assets or liabilities left, and have a CPA or attorney certify the declaration. Who do I ask? My roommate speculates that H&R block is cheapest.

(The LLC has a simple history with only six transactions: The initial funding, a financial asset purchase, two bill payments, sale of the asset, and returning money to the owner. It's a single-member LLC that hasn't had to file its own taxes.)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm just here to say that getting to work from home Tuesday and Friday makes up for having to work an extra 3-4 hours one week every month. It really helps I liked my co-workers and my boss and it is a short (15 minute or less) commute. If only it wasn't one of those 9-6 with a 1 hour lunch break deals. If they cut that part and just made it 9-5 with a 15-30 minute lunch break (or 1 hour, why not?) then this job may be ideal, even if the workplace is horribly disorganized and there are tons of problems everywhere. Super hope I'm not jinxing it, but so far I am happy here at 5 months.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Xom posted:

Hello, layman here. I'm involved in dissolving a LLC, and a counterparty wants me to make a declaration that the LLC has no assets or liabilities left, and have a CPA or attorney certify the declaration. Who do I ask? My roommate speculates that H&R block is cheapest.

(The LLC has a simple history with only six transactions: The initial funding, a financial asset purchase, two bill payments, sale of the asset, and returning money to the owner. It's a single-member LLC that hasn't had to file its own taxes.)

Ask if an attorney can draft a document that the owner signs stating there are no assets and liabilities. It will probably need to include an indemnification of some type. It's gonna get far more complicated if they won't accept that, the liabilities part is the problem.

I'm assuming this is a divorce? Why is someone requesting it if it's a single member LLC being dissolved?

Azrial fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 19, 2023

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Xom posted:

I think you're going to have some pushback from the CPA certifying this. It reads similar to a "comfort letter" that mortgage lenders "require" and that's not really what we do. HR Block is also not in this business.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Audax posted:

I think you're going to have some pushback from the CPA certifying this. It reads similar to a "comfort letter" that mortgage lenders "require" and that's not really what we do. HR Block is also not in this business.

Oh my loving God! That is one of things I miss the least about public. I do not know what the gently caress was going on. Maybe there were just some guys in the area that everyone used or maybe ever mortgage lender wanted to play this game in the state, but I swear I lost a good couple of hours every month writting a letter saying "We do not do comfort letters. You cannot legally require this of a person. Do not ask for this again. Please leave me alone." I even once had a mortgatge lender try to say "no, we can legally require it. Why would we be bound by a law made because of fannie mae?" And it actually made me twitch as I just replied "do not request this of me again and talk to someone in your company who actually knows the law." They got the mortgage, by the way, after that call.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Hmm, starting to notice that my new position is a bit more supervisory than I thought. My new boss hired someone just before I started working here and I'm now being asked to train him a bit more.

I've never done it before, and I'm honestly not sure if this kid will last that long. The new partner doesn't train his staff as much as the old partner, but most of the other staff he's had seem capable. Part of the problem is also that I'm here fixing some stuff up because the new partner doesn't have time to look over a lot of the work they do so I'm trying to get everyone in better habits like making actual notes so someone else like me can understand them.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ops merchant sucks rear end

Who the gently caress doesn't have a save function for in progress invoices. You can't enter to space out descriptions nor can make a negative amount for credit info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is this a thread where I could find someone to provide some one-time (perhaps more?) consulting on setting up my self-employment LLC correctly/to my best advantage, and how to plan for taxes, investing, etc? Have money and will pay for the time. Or I can just post for free!