Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

She’s gonna find out Margot is alive, and it’s gonna magically fix her PTSD.

The only reason I think they are keeping Aleida around this season is because there’s going to be some big problem and she’s going to magically be the one to solve it.

Like her career isn’t even going that great as she seems to be in a similar position as before.

I would be fine if they just ended her arc tbh. She’s got a good job, a family, and some PTSD. Just move on already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

MarcusSA posted:

Just move on already.

This is sage advice for the writing team but they just aren't gonna do it. It's gonna be season 8 and a rickety Aleida wearing absolutely laughable old age makeup is going to be the pilot for the first test of the warp drive. Her copilot? That's right, it's Ed Baldwin. Meanwhile Margo looks around pensively in Cyber-Russia and Dani gets called in to do one last job: rein Ed in before the president cuts all funding to NASA. Ellen is still the president, btw, she got back into the White House and she's on her 7th term in office for reasons that make sense only to ron moore.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
When Ed is 100 they'll say he gets de aging treatments and he goes back to looking like Ed from the 60s

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nah I wanna see Joel Kinneman made up to look like the Cryptkeeper, walking through a Stargate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They can just resleeve him if he gets too old.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

This is sage advice for the writing team but they just aren't gonna do it. It's gonna be season 8 and a rickety Aleida wearing absolutely laughable old age makeup is going to be the pilot for the first test of the warp drive. Her copilot? That's right, it's Ed Baldwin. Meanwhile Margo looks around pensively in Cyber-Russia and Dani gets called in to do one last job: rein Ed in before the president cuts all funding to NASA. Ellen is still the president, btw, she got back into the White House and she's on her 7th term in office for reasons that make sense only to ron moore.

Ed Baldwin, second man on Proxima Centauri b.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Nah I wanna see Joel Kinneman made up to look like the Cryptkeeper, walking through a Stargate.

So we know now who the skeleton astronaut in that David Bowie video was

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

With a puff of dust, a mummy-like figure creaks out a sepulchrous “Hi, Bob.”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the holding onto actors is just a product of this being television, a medium that's about audience identification and trust. Swapping out actors and characters too frequently (or at all -- look at Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites right now) leads to a significant portion of the audience throwing up their hands in protest and quitting.

The show's done a fairly good job of cycling characters through over the years, they've cut out so many actors at this point there are only three regulars left. Ed, Danni and Margo are still around, but Gordo, Tracy, Ellen, Karen, Danny, Molly, plus Chris Bauer and those two different NASA chiefs who died in separate explosions.

Which is what everyone thinks happened to Margo as well, lmfao.

Daniel Stern better stay away from BBQs. :tinfoil:

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I've complained in here about the show's pretty cavalier approach to Space Death, since accidents irl in both space and aviation get huge amounts of investigation and follow-up. I do think that criticism stands, especially for important firsts like "first space hotel" or "mission to Mars" — you just can't afford to get a ton of people killed when you try it, it will mean no more of that kind of mission for a long time!

But I guess if space is becoming as routine as oil drilling then "people make stupid mistakes enabled by institutional neglect and get killed" is fairly true to life :(

I predict you'll like season 4 ;)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the holding onto actors is just a product of this being television, a medium that's about audience identification and trust. Swapping out actors and characters too frequently (or at all -- look at Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites right now) leads to a significant portion of the audience throwing up their hands in protest and quitting.

The show's done a fairly good job of cycling characters through over the years, they've cut out so many actors at this point there are only three regulars left. Ed, Danni and Margo are still around, but Gordo, Tracy, Ellen, Karen, Danny, Molly, plus Chris Bauer and those two different NASA chiefs who died in separate explosions.

Which is what everyone thinks happened to Margo as well, lmfao.

Daniel Stern better stay away from BBQs. :tinfoil:

I've mentioned before somewhere that there seems to be a lot of shows going on right now where the premise is fundamentally TV-hostile purely because it takes place over a long period of time and you have to either swap out actors, or figure out some way not to that doesn't seem ridiculously convoluted.

Rings of Power covers thousands of years but they can sort of get away with it by having most of the characters be immortal, and others very long-lived, and also reworking the material to move a bunch of events a lot closer in timeline than they otherwise would be.

(Wheel of Time kind of has the opposite problem — it takes place over a very short time, but it's a huge amount of material and being produced at such a slow pace that the actors who are supposed to all stay exactly a certain age are going to age out of roles by the time the series is over. Also the source material has long stretches, like entire books, where major characters just disappear, and you can’t really do that in TV when you have big name actors on contract, so they have to remix the story to keep them hanging around on screen.)

The Last Kingdom covers a guy's life from like 19 to 70 or so, and it keeps introducing characters who plausibly look like teenagers and then make them be 20-something and 30-something warlords, or older. You get characters dropping out and coming back in as dreams or visions, but by and large it's a matter of well-done makeup that allows you to feel like the time has really passed.

Foundation takes place over hundreds of years and the stunts it pulls to keep the same actors on screen are a hoot on a meta level. You've got the Cleons who are clones and keep getting reborn; you've got Demerzel who is a robot; you've got Salvor and Gaal who keep going into cryosleep etc; and you've got Hari Seldon who keeps reappearing as a robot or hologram or whatever, and they STILL have to do de-aging makeup in some spots. It's like they gave themselves the hardest possible casting job and then found all the cheat codes in a book somewhere. It's wild.

FAM seems like it's part of this same trend somehow, like TV writers are suddenly thinking "Hey, you know all those stories we never could do in TV because of the realities of casting? Well what if we just went ahead and did them anyway?"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 15, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wheeljack posted:

The historical short about the USSR’s economic boom lays a few Chekhov’s guns on the table… it’s being driven by resource extraction for lithium (which may be plentiful in that asteroid), they still have plenty of oil if things go back to fossil fuel and Gorby has an outspoken critic against all this capitalism.

The one about the M-7 nations has Mexico as part of the alliance… as a Soviet-aligned country.

I mean they're absolutely setting us up for Gorbachev to get coup'd right? At first I figured they'd do some space twist on 9/11 but between focusing on that other USSR politburo guy and the cryptic "Margo, stay shadowed" I bet the 1991 coup happens 12 years later in FAM and is successful.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Slashrat posted:

I was half expecting Kuz' arm to just sink shoulder-deep into gravel when he first tried to grab onto the asteroid

i wonder if we're getting stuff wrong about how asteroids are that's similar to thinking Mars had canals on it

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Peanut Butler posted:

i wonder if we're getting stuff wrong about how asteroids are that's similar to thinking Mars had canals on it

They've landed probes on asteroids, and they've just got samples back.

We've a pretty good idea of what to expect!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We can do advanced physics simulations for what an asteroid might behave like. They were looking through crappy telescopes

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
There has to be billions of them that are basically pebble clouds, until they become big enough that gravity takes over and makes them more compacted.
e: although i guess if they were going to get any bigger, they'd have done so by now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stegosnaurlax posted:

There has to be billions of them that are basically pebble clouds, until they become big enough that gravity takes over and makes them more compacted.
e: although i guess if they were going to get any bigger, they'd have done so by now.

Yep. There are basically three types of asteroid. One is a pile of rocks loosely held together by gravity, which is what they showed. They are not solid in any way, there's just enough gravity to keep it stuck together since that's stronger than any force pulling them apart.

Second type is a solid rock. Many of these have a layer of pebbles on the surface. These are thought to have been pieces of larger moons/protoplanets that got smashed into pieces.

Third type is mostly solid metal, which also are thought to be protoplanet cores that got wrecked.

There are also a handful of huge ones like Ceres or Vesta which don't fit in, they're more tiny incomplete planets than asteroids.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ve been reading the book “how to die in space,” and we’ve barely scratched the surface on the many myriad ways more astronauts can be killed off in a season opener and/or finale!

Enjoyable book, do recommend.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They haven't done the classic "leaking coolant loop/water supply floods your helmet" yet have they?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Watching the first episode now and lol that Russia still gets the fallout 3 filter put on it even after succumbing to capitalism

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Lol it looks like an orange and those are some real good ion engines. Can't wait to see how it blows up

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Wow this sucks, a trillion interesting ways to die horribly when you put chimps in cans and the show can only think of "stabbed by big metal thing"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

Wow this sucks, a trillion interesting ways to die horribly when you put chimps in cans and the show can only think of "stabbed by big metal thing"

They can't all dive into firing engines, now can they?

I'm not sure if anyone should give the writers the benefit of the doubt after season 3 and *waves hands in vague direction of Danny and DPRK*, but it kind of looks like a theme that space is becoming everyday or banal, so the bonus man just getting crushed industrial accident style fits.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

- i hate ed, obviously
- i hate adam sandler guy, clearly the best move to save a failed marriage is to go to loving space
- why would anyone give a poo poo about margo, plus she knew loving von Braun for gently caress's sake, woman is old
- daniele you are also loving ancient
- more kelly NOW, she looks like she's becoming a WAG after being the best character, minus one missed abortion

all in all not impressed but also not suprised. this became Space West Forrest Wing Grump, and the fact that all the old rear end characters just won't die or gently caress off strikes me as a very boomer mindset that the show and fictional world is only the worse off for

e: also i do not buy that ed would ever be cool enough to smoke weed, or that NASA would ever allow smoking on a space station. did the USSR landing first mean edibles were never invented ffs

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

- i hate ed, obviously
- i hate adam sandler guy, clearly the best move to save a failed marriage is to go to loving space
- why would anyone give a poo poo about margo, plus she knew loving von Braun for gently caress's sake, woman is old
- daniele you are also loving ancient
- more kelly NOW, she looks like she's becoming a WAG after being the best character, minus one missed abortion

all in all not impressed but also not suprised. this became Space West Forrest Wing Grump, and the fact that all the old rear end characters just won't die or gently caress off strikes me as a very boomer mindset that the show and fictional world is only the worse off for

e: also i do not buy that ed would ever be cool enough to smoke weed, or that NASA would ever allow smoking on a space station. did the USSR landing first mean edibles were never invented ffs

Don’t you remember the Karen weed baking scenes. There was a shocking amount of :time devoted to the proper crafting of edibles in this nominal space show. She was blazing it for years while they were still married.

Besides, he needs it for his glaucoma.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Hed posted:

I mean they're absolutely setting us up for Gorbachev to get coup'd right? At first I figured they'd do some space twist on 9/11 but between focusing on that other USSR politburo guy and the cryptic "Margo, stay shadowed" I bet the 1991 coup happens 12 years later in FAM and is successful.

And sooner than expected!

Hard to see how the coup plotters can come out ahead here. The Russians were falling badly behind in technology by the Mars race, unable to come up with a working reactor design and needing to blackmail Margo for it. The video talked about Moscow being the "Paris of the East" and full of western luxury brands, that they were benefitting from the technology developments from Mars and the moon programs.

The tourists and foreign investment will evaporate under an iron-fisted military dictatorship for a start. It was all Western energy companies doing the moon mining and Helios is handling Mars transit, so they won't be able to disentangle themselves from the rest of the alliance to go it alone, not quickly or easily, or even at all. If the asteroid does have lithium, their resource extraction-based economy Earthside will crash too. The G-7 nations invited Russia in and became the G-8 in 1997, expelling them in 2014, as a historical parallel, though the M-7 is larger and more substantial in its activities than the G-7/8.

Even if the North Koreans smuggled guns up there, they wouldn't be able to keep resources and progress going towards Russia at gunpoint. Yet they'll likely pull it off as the space race is vital to the premise of the show!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ed's still a big piece of poo poo. Looks like Helios built a coal mine company town on Mars. Still don't know why I'm supposed to care about Margot. Maybe she's going to be an audience stand in for the fall of the USSR.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I hope this show is setting us up to see the first strike in space. They’re gonna lynch Ed and everything. Bad internet and poo poo coffee will do that to you.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

They're starting to grow trees, grow 2/3 of their own food, still think they're leading to a Mars independence storyline.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You know what? I am willing to risk eating crow, Mars-meatloaf (crowloaf?) style, but gently caress the haters, I am jazzed up for the Aleida-Kelly-grrrrrlpower team-up. Can we have a passable Earth story-line? :ohdear:

The Russia-Margo-story isn't exactly captivating yet, I'm curious to see their version of a modern NKVD next time I suppose.

Unfortunately it seems like Dani gets the proles and we won't be seeing a MIAHM-style Mars-rebellion :argh: I wanted Ed to go all colonialist on these "money-grubbing" people who don't appreciate that they're on a different planet, dagnabbit!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Sure, maybe it sucks, but we're on Mars, bucko, look out that window, it looks cool as poo poo out there. Now get back to your windowless bunker. I have to go, I hear there's ice cream available in the special boy lounge."

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Cojawfee posted:

"Sure, maybe it sucks, but we're on Mars, bucko, look out that window, it looks cool as poo poo out there. Now get back to your windowless bunker. I have to go, I hear there's ice cream available in the special boy lounge."

I think rig boy is going to start a union.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I think rig boy is going to start a union.

Given Poole's never ending competence streak I half expect her to go "Love it, I order everyone to sign on".

The command hierarchy on Mars is a bit weird though. I get the North Koreans just having their little corner but strange that we've not seen any major Soviet leadership around. Is Baldwin technically the leadership for Helios and Poole has to talk to him for everything related to their staff?

Aleida and Kelly going together is sure ok, but I wonder if the former's ptsd thing is gonna end up just an excuse to write her out of NASA.

Margo's Soviet plot is kinda novel but I'm somewhat more interested in what's gonna happen in the Soviet section of Happy Valley rather than on earth.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Vegetable posted:

I hope this show is setting us up to see the first strike in space. They’re gonna lynch Ed and everything. Bad internet and poo poo coffee will do that to you.

Yeah I don't think the writers have the balls or brains to go this way but it would be great. The company townies rising up and spacing everyone would be a great way to get some new cast in the door.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I was kinda half paying attention and looking at my phone when Margo woke up and the second I heard Swan Lake I instantly perked up

I am so glad that tradition rings true in this timeline

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Vegetable posted:

The newsreel had a moon strike in 1999.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We already had an IRL strike in space in the 70s.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

We already had an IRL strike in space in the 70s.

that wasn't a strike

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

The plan calls for 7 seasons. They want it to be the first show that starts in the past goes through the present and ends in the future (2030s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Interesting that they seem to be setting up a coup against the Soviets as a bad thing.