Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Disposable Scud posted:

I forgot about the remake. Why can't there be a modern Flashback that isn't garbage? Someone recommend a good Flashback-like.

There was an indie Flashback clone called LUNARK that came out: haven't played it but I think it was reviewed alright. There was also an Another World indie clone called Full Void. Other than that, there are plenty of cinematic puzzle-platformers like INSIDE and American Arcadia that are similar in nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

I forgot about the remake. Why can't there be a modern Flashback that isn't garbage? Someone recommend a good Flashback-like.

They don't make step-platformers anymore.
The only other one I can think of was Lunark.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

It's a shame Soulstorm was such a making GBS threads miserable nuisance to try and actually play.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm in a action indie roguelike thing bend right now (played Spelunky, Void Rains Upon her Heart, Nova Drift...) so I was wondering if the remastered version of Risk of Rain is worth it. I have 10 hours in the original and enjoyed it fine, but got distracted by something or other.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

credburn posted:

Hey what are all you goons' preferences regarding regenerating health vs. health pickups in your shooty games?

Just give me soulslike bonfires instead.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

credburn posted:

Hey what are all you goons' preferences regarding regenerating health vs. health pickups in your shooty games?
No regenerating health

No health packs

No health restoration of any kind

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
No saving or loading and no checkpoints.

License to Kill.

Slappers only.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Azran posted:

This is going to be a tad specific but what other options do I have in terms of roguelike or run-based shooters where you have both weapons and magic like in Gunfire Reborn or, for lack of a better example, Prey or Bioshock 2? I was watching some Witchfire gameplay (Epic-exclusive EA title) and I got a hankering for that.

Cryptark is maybe worth a look, $1 in the current humble bundle. Roguelite spaceship spelunking, the weapons are great fun.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

PowerWash Simulator's Back to the Future DLC is out

When the cleanliness rating hits 88%, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Trick Question posted:

No regenerating health

No health packs

No health restoration of any kind

You can respawn but there's an 18-year countdown.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My two cents on the health recovery discussion is that encouraging backtracking (for health packs you walked by earlier) in an action game sucks, but encouraging players to sit behind cover and suck their thumbs for a while also sucks.

nuDOOMs have the best solution to that problem. If you want to restore health you better extract it from the bodies of your fallen enemies.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Am I crazy, or is episode 2 of HROT not very good?

I absolutely loved episode 1, but the difficulty in episode 2 feels a lot more punishing and less fun, with a lot of bullet-sponge enemies that can just shave off half your health bar if they hit you once. There's also more traps where enemies will just spawn around you in a circle at random when you pick stuff up, or you'll be teleported into a situation where you're surrounded.

Part of that is probably on me- I did switch to hard after episode 1 got really easy near the end- but you can't switch difficulty mid-episode, so.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Trick Question posted:

Am I crazy, or is episode 2 of HROT not very good?

I absolutely loved episode 1, but the difficulty in episode 2 feels a lot more punishing and less fun, with a lot of bullet-sponge enemies that can just shave off half your health bar if they hit you once. There's also more traps where enemies will just spawn around you in a circle at random when you pick stuff up, or you'll be teleported into a situation where you're surrounded.

Part of that is probably on me- I did switch to hard after episode 1 got really easy near the end- but you can't switch difficulty mid-episode, so.

Not entirely crazy, no. Episode 2's level design seems to have taken a hit, to the point it becomes stale enough that sometimes you will start resenting a bit episode 1 because you've already seen those "tricks" before and they weren't fun back there either.

Bullet-sponge enemies like bears and horse riders at least are boss-like fights, so that's fine, honestly. But the drat snakes. Oh my god, are those loving snakes the worst. No matter what you use, be it fire, explosives, shotgun shells, accurate pistol shots, melee scything, they take forever to go down and waste so many resources.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Thanks for the recs everyone! :)

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
So uh.. heard of this game? Under a dollar right now.
Lizard Survivors: Battle for Hyperborea
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2621150/Lizard_Survivors_Battle_for_Hyperborea/
They have launched an active invasion on our lands in late September this year, so let us break free of the slavic hand that held us by our balls for many ages! Rally all of our reptile militia, we will end this all together! LIZARDS, WE WILL NEVER BE SLAVES BUT WE WILL BE CONQUERORS!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:thanks:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh no, not another one

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

I'm all for Pro-Ukraine propaganda but this Lizard friendly stuff is making me itch. I'm all for progressive ideals but if my daughter came home with a 9 foot lizardman bred for the endless battlefields of blood, I don't know how I'd react.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
that looks very bad

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that looks very bad

For $0.69 (nice) I'll buy it just for the dumb fun of lizards fighting for their freedom against Slavic musclemen, regardless of the actual gameplay.

Like, this is amazing:

LIZARD SURVIVORS posted:

• Throw XASS POWER SUPPLY UNITS Into their ranks

• Incinerate the oppressors with their own FLAMES

• Vaporize the bastards with a VAPE POD

• Consume the powerful MOLERAT ROTGUT

• Energize yourself with LIZARD ENERGY™️

E: wait is the text all in Cryillic? Lmao.

Annath fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 17, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

don't ironically buy the nazi game

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

The Lone Badger posted:

You can respawn but there's an 18-year countdown.

Pffft, child soldier speedrun that poo poo.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Hwurmp posted:

don't ironically buy the nazi game

It's a Nazi game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

It's a Nazi game?

There is some argument, it is either an unironic Nazi game or a game that is making fun of unironic Nazi stuff. Either way probably not a good idea to buy it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

There is some argument, it is either an unironic Nazi game or a game that is making fun of unironic Nazi stuff. Either way probably not a good idea to buy it.

Aren't the lizards the protagonists? I can't imagine nazi shitheads portraying themselves as lizards. That's usually the other way around.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's by the same nazis who made the last nazi lizard game

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't see why this flag is so offensive. it's a buddhist symbol. and yes, i have a rebar stuck through my brain but i don't see what that has to do with anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Is there some reason people aren't actually being specific about what they're talking about?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Yeah, I mean, to me it's:

Nazis accuse enemies of being lizards.

Nazis are all about blonde musclemen.

This game has Heroic lizards killing blonde musclemen.

So to me, it's explicitly anti-nazi.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's the same publisher as the Nazi lizard game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You always win if you play both sides.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Guys, I really need to know if the Lizards are good or bad my family is dying

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lizards are good. Guaranteed.

HawaiinYeti
Mar 12, 2005

All right, all right. Knock it off. We tried. Whatever.
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

It's a Nazi game?

Annath posted:

Yeah, I mean, to me it's:

Nazis accuse enemies of being lizards.

Nazis are all about blonde musclemen.

This game has Heroic lizards killing blonde musclemen.

So to me, it's explicitly anti-nazi.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Is that a symbol of the lizards, or the guys they're fighting?

Because Wolfenstein has swastikas, on the dudes you're killing.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'd rather play as the lizards.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

holy poo poo shut up about the lizard game and just play it or don't lol

posting a bunch of "actually" to defend it is just weird

HawaiinYeti
Mar 12, 2005

All right, all right. Knock it off. We tried. Whatever.
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Is that a symbol of the lizards, or the guys they're fighting?

Because Wolfenstein has swastikas, on the dudes you're killing.

Looks like selection UI, so not exactly in a negative light as in something like Wolfenstein

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
More like I wish I did not see this game ever!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lizard? I hardly know her!