Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

more foreign trash someone is suggesting just to look cultured :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

this one isnt even available to rent in australia lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Secret of NIMH

I honestly think I watched this movie only twice on TV when I was a kid, it really didn't air as much as the other Bluth movies like All Dogs Go To Heaven, American Tail or Land Before Time. I can see now, this might be a cliche but this movie is honestly pretty dark for a kid's movie, with Miss Brisby's quest being to find help on how to move her house without endangering her sick child and during the climax you have Sullivan and Jenner getting some pretty violent deaths compared to Disney villains. It's a really wonderful movie, and I think making Miss Brisby the protag was rather ingenious, it is really hard to see widowed mother protagonists, especially on this genre, and it really gives you the mixture of fragility and determination that makes you root for her even more.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i recedntly realized th irony about bitching about video rentals in blockbuster video

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Synecdoche, New York — seen it a couple times before. Watched it again. It gets more comprehensible but also much funnier each time, especially the Job-like trials his wife puts him through culminating in the hospital scene

I'm amazed this movie got made, let alone for $20m. The set growing bigger and bigger, the cast growing, technology and history advancing almost invisibly, the implication that modern society is only continuing inside the Macarthur-funded production after a disaster outside... just a tremendous vision, can't imagine how the screenwriter held it all in his head, let alone how they fit so much into two hours

Emily Watson is so pretty

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i recedntly realized th irony about bitching about video rentals in blockbuster video

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

synecdoche, ny

i'm gonna need a minute

★★★★

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok so for th first half i got too wrapped up in tryin to figure out whats real and whats not when it doesnt matter. the whole things a metaphor for the slowly declining back half of everybodys life and the slow sense of losing control until you finally just fade out and its incredible. movie's a tragedy in the same way everybody's lifes a tragedy if you look at it long enough because we all die at the end. psh is absolutely incredible, all th other performances are great too but hes the lynchpin of the movie and if he sucked the movie straight up wouldnt work. best moment imo is the priest's monologue at the end, just devastatng and that dude sold the poo poo out of it. got a hearty lmfao at the real estate agent tryin to sell hazel on the burning house because yeah it do be like that. great pick tude, man i really hope bacuraus a lot more straightforward lol

★★★★

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bacurau

i like th part that actually happens on screen. the hook that its a bunch of dirt poor brazilian townsfolk being targeted by a group of rich americans who wnt to commit murder tourism is fun and it feels good when they fuckin nail them. liked the townsfolk overall, felt bad for the ones that died, it was a cool hook. absolutely despised the americans, especially the hypocrite cop who starts whining about killing kids when he's about to go in and blow a hole in their parents to make himself feel good. lunga is a badass. i didnt like two parts of it overall, one a spoiler, one not. not spoiler, its a real fuckin slow movie, they couldve cut half an hour and i wouldnt have noticed. spoiler, theres a ton of poo poo that happens offscreen that informs why characters do what they do (why does michael turn into a psycho? i guess dominga dosed him) (why's lunga rebelling against th government?) (what the hell are michael and tony jr. talking about at the end when they say the whole village is hosed?) (what the hells goin on with carmelita?) and man i wsh it had either been shown or left out. felt like they had a good idea for a exploited people murderin their exploiters flick and then found out it was goin to cannes and put in a bunch of weird dead ends and red heerrings. i liked it overall though.

★★½

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also lol tht the first thing i saw when i tried to find this movie called it a sci-fi flick, there is absolutely no sci-fi in except except the one ladys near-future phone lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

started up synecdoche and the "cayden does that feel terrible" "yep" lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

synecdoche, ny

:psyduck: what a mindfuck, god i miss PSH

4.5/5

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol what the gently caress

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

lol what the gently caress

genuinely unsure which moment this is but i have a guess house on fire?

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

genuinely unsure which moment this is but i have a guess house on fire?

lol yes but theres been a few more since where its applicable

copy
Jul 26, 2007

synecdoche, new york: this owned and kinda hosed me up a little bit lol. for some reason it felt like the movie version of when one of those paintings that's a portrait from far away but if you look close you see that its actually a hundred small faces. still kind of struck by it all. 4.5/5

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Joey McChrist posted:

synecdoche, ny

:psyduck: what a mindfuck, god i miss PSH

4.5/5

we still have jim gaffigan

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

STONE COLD 64 posted:

grim

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lol drat

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Synecdoche, New York

brilliant.

Adele looms large over Caden's life yet disappears completely from the screen. his giant art he cannot complete is a direct reaction to her tiny art that brings her fame. he doesnt create a fake version of her. one of his final actions, as Ellen, is thinking how touched (s)he was to be painted by her at all. in a movie full of death scenes, calls, and funerals, Adele's is conveyed by just a note not even for him, he's so far away from her by then.

i love the readings of Olive's diary becoming more and more german as she ages. and her entire death scene

when the burning house first showed up i assumed it was a metaphor for the foolishness of getting into a relationship with Caden. by the end it finally kills her once she fully lets Caden in, so maybe. its a great image no matter

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
bacurau

didnt know the movie was portuguese so that was a nice surprise at the start
the first half hour or so was loving painful and i kept forcing myself to try to not give up on the movie
the movie heard my wish and weird interesting stuff thankfully started happening, but then it completely explained itself and beat its themes in my head with a hammer an hour into it, and little did i know theres was still one more hour left, oh god
whoever directed and/or wrote this just threw all the poo poo they could at the wall, this is like when a writer writes a big epic novel based on all the half baked ideas hes had over the years and then he forgets to actually edit it to be fun to read. im not missing some larger point, theres definitely some random poo poo in here thats here for no reason
also, since i can understand english and portuguese, i got to see what bad acting and really corny scriptwriting looks like in two different languages, switching at will. that was fun.
idk, i didnt like this movie, but it kept me interested in seeing what would happen next so it got me that way. it feels somehow amateurish in how its filmed but the landscapes look rly nice
2/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

the whole things a metaphor for the slowly declining back half of everybodys life and the slow sense of losing control until you finally just fade out and its incredible.

i like this read of it a lot. man that loving ending. i dig when movies are more something that you feel than explain and i think synecdoche nailed that

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

copy posted:

i like this read of it a lot. man that loving ending. i dig when movies are more something that you feel than explain and i think synecdoche nailed that

i think bacurau will be to your liking

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

Synecdoche, New York

brilliant.

Adele looms large over Caden's life yet disappears completely from the screen. his giant art he cannot complete is a direct reaction to her tiny art that brings her fame. he doesnt create a fake version of her. one of his final actions, as Ellen, is thinking how touched (s)he was to be painted by her at all. in a movie full of death scenes, calls, and funerals, Adele's is conveyed by just a note not even for him, he's so far away from her by then.

oh man i didnt even notice that but yeah, fuckin cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

unrelated, biggest laugh in th movie for me was harold pinter died. wait, no he won the nobel prize

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fungah! posted:

unrelated, biggest laugh in th movie for me was harold pinter died. wait, no he won the nobel prize

this killed me 100% vvvv

copy posted:

started up synecdoche and the "cayden does that feel terrible" "yep" lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

this killed me 100% vvvv

lmfao that too. incredibly funny movie if you like dark humor

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

still on Synecdoche

Tarranon posted:

my ultimate sense of him is he feels that he must create, and is also trying to create a world where there is a version of himself that he could stand, and that could be loved by the world around him. but because he will always try to fulfill his role, and because of his fundamental flaws, the process is repeated in increasingly distorted ways until he is pushed out of his own life, and ultimately out of control of his own actions as he is finally directed at the end.

i keep thinking how he hires Sammy to play him, but Sammys totally off. Sammy says out loud everything Caden may keep internal, if he actually thinks those things at all. Sammy walks around set directing people and Caden meekly follows behind him saying actually no that direction is wrong, Sammy doesnt even cry during sex! Sammy actually manages to kill himself, what a misread!

Then he hires the Ellen actress to play him, and she's even more off. She directs the funeral scene to be dramatic and over the top, going counter to everything Caden has said he wanted the entire time. and everyone loves it

Everyone else is a better Caden than he is.

The therapist is a mystery to me. She is a best selling successful author, and wants to write Caden into her books/life, and he meekly avoids it, ending that "story" (another great gag)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

elf help book posted:

still on Synecdoche

i keep thinking how he hires Sammy to play him, but Sammys totally off. Sammy says out loud everything Caden may keep internal, if he actually thinks those things at all. Sammy walks around set directing people and Caden meekly follows behind him saying actually no that direction is wrong, Sammy doesnt even cry during sex! Sammy actually manages to kill himself, what a misread!

Then he hires the Ellen actress to play him, and she's even more off. She directs the funeral scene to be dramatic and over the top, going counter to everything Caden has said he wanted the entire time. and everyone loves it

The therapist is a mystery to me. She is a best selling successful author, and wants to write Caden into her books/life, and he meekly avoids it, ending that "story" (another great gag)

"this book is over" was great lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

still on Synecdoche

incredible end to that story lmao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

copy posted:

"this book is over" was great lol

whole bunch of Quest Failed notifications popping up right then

copy
Jul 26, 2007

elf help book posted:

whole bunch of Quest Failed notifications popping up right then

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

lmfao YES

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

elf help book posted:

this killed me 100% vvvv

when adele is like I can't i have three canvases to pack up and the camera shows the postage stamp size painting

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lol.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

lmfao

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I got the tude now posted:

when adele is like I can't i have three canvases to pack up and the camera shows the postage stamp size painting

lol the little tiny shipping crates