Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Branch Nvidian posted:

For the price that's a very good bundle. The savings they're showing isn't a fake markup, that's really about how much you're saving getting it as a combo deal. Do you have other parts you're looking at replacing, or just the core platform components?

Honestly I probably need to replace everything. Probably the newest part I have in my machine is a Samsung SSD 970 1TB drive as I had to replace my old SSD when it finally kicked the bucket. I can probably continue to use my current monitors, they're two 1080p 60hz monitors and I dont really care too much about graphical fidelity in games I play, but outside of that I probably need to swap out everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Need a 1080p monitor. About to order this one unless someone tells me not to. IPS, 165hz, $120.

https://www.newegg.com/dark-gray-benq-mobiuz-ex240-24/p/N82E16824014917

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

Here is an RX 6750 XT for 3,674KR ($348.24 USD).
XFX Speedster QICK319 Radeon RX 6750XT CORE

Thanks, that is a much better price than anything I could find locally here in sweden. Looks like they are shipping out of portugal but that shouldn't since they are in the eu.

But holy poo poo how comically huuuuge the gpus have become, over 30cm in length, I'm going to have to rip out a bunch of stuff from the case to get it to fit...

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
I'm thinking about putting together a new system this year. If someone could look over this list and make sure I'm not making any serious mistakes.
This will be primarily a gaming PC, but will also do some video editing and coding.
Budget: $2000

pc part picker list
CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (Amazon $250.00)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken 240 78.02 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Amazon $134.99)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (Newegg $204.99)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory(Newegg $109.99)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Amazon $179.99)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card (Newegg $549.99)
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case (Newegg $149.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Newegg $96.99)

Total: $1675.94

I'm aware that there is a much cheaper air-cooling option. I've always built my machines with air cooling and I'd like to try something different this time. So unless there is a strong reason not to use water cooling I'm ok with paying extra.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

DoombatINC posted:

The $370 RX 6800 stands out too, that's a shitton of video card for the money

I'm wondering if this would be a good choice for me (refresher of the build below). In theory, I'm very open to an AMD card. The only reason I'm hesitating is I have a 4k monitor, but not the budget for a system that can max out 4k normally. Based on my very limited understanding of DLSS, it seems that this would be a good candidate for DLSS upscaling, and thus I have been planning on holding out for the 4XXX super refresh. Is that a correct belief, or am I over thinking things and should just grab a great performing card?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mappo posted:

I'm thinking about putting together a new system this year. If someone could look over this list and make sure I'm not making any serious mistakes.
This will be primarily a gaming PC, but will also do some video editing and coding.
Budget: $2000

pc part picker list
CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (Amazon $250.00)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken 240 78.02 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Amazon $134.99)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (Newegg $204.99)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory(Newegg $109.99)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Amazon $179.99)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card (Newegg $549.99)
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case (Newegg $149.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Newegg $96.99)

Total: $1675.94

I'm aware that there is a much cheaper air-cooling option. I've always built my machines with air cooling and I'd like to try something different this time. So unless there is a strong reason not to use water cooling I'm ok with paying extra.

Changed RAM kit to something cheaper that's better, changed the case to something that has fans in it, changed GPU to the 4070 Ti since it's within budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($250.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: EK EK-Nucleus AIO CR240 Lux D-RGB 72 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($123.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X E OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($714.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1740.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-17 14:09 EST-0500

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm wondering if this would be a good choice for me (refresher of the build below). In theory, I'm very open to an AMD card. The only reason I'm hesitating is I have a 4k monitor, but not the budget for a system that can max out 4k normally. Based on my very limited understanding of DLSS, it seems that this would be a good candidate for DLSS upscaling, and thus I have been planning on holding out for the 4XXX super refresh. Is that a correct belief, or am I over thinking things and should just grab a great performing card?

I do think you're over thinking things a bit. If you're going to play at 4K and can't afford a "True 4K Card" then yes, DLSS will get you further than FSR is going to in regards to upscaling. I'm betting on a 4070 Ti Super causing the current 4070 Ti's price to drop some, but also if you come across a good deal on one during Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales then just grab it.

Edit: Alternatively just get an RX 7900 XT and actually game at 4K with some settings turned down. $710 Newegg open-box PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hell Hound if you're willing to roll the dice with Newegg open-box after Gamers Nexus' feature, or $760 ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 7900 XT

Edit 2: There's also this $730 Zotac RTX 4070 Ti

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 17, 2023

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Fyi, Intel, 12700 CPUs on sale at Amazon. Kf is $199, K is $211.

e: 12600 too

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 17, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Why are the K CPUs cheaper than the non-K? I thought that K was supposed to cost more because it's faster?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Why are the K CPUs cheaper than the non-K? I thought that K was supposed to cost more because it's faster?

Possibly supply. When parts go out of production their pricing gets weird. In this instance the 12700KF is just a 12700K with the iGP removed, thus reducing the price a little bit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

Possibly supply. When parts go out of production their pricing gets weird. In this instance the 12700KF is just a 12700K with the iGP removed, thus reducing the price a little bit.

Sure, but I'm comparing it to the i7-12700 non-K, which has a lower MSRP and is worse in every way than the 12700K but costs a full $100 more now.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is one a bracket, fan, paste, and CPU bundle and one is a CPU only?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This is probably super niche, but are there any B650 boards with spdif on it? I have a soundbar that I use for computer speakers that connects via digital, I'm only seeing spdif connectors on X670E boards, I'm not opposed to getting a X670E board, but if I can get a B650 board with a digital audio out connector I would be interested.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

This is probably super niche, but are there any B650 boards with spdif on it? I have a soundbar that I use for computer speakers that connects via digital, I'm only seeing spdif connectors on X670E boards, I'm not opposed to getting a X670E board, but if I can get a B650 board with a digital audio out connector I would be interested.

Assuming you mean TOSLINK/Optical then ASRock B650 LiveMixer, B650E Taichi, B650E Taichi Lite, B650E Steel Legend, ASUS ProArt B650 Creator, Gigabyte B650M AORUS Elite AX, B650M AORUS Elite (Rev. 1.3), and B650M AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.2) all have one. Probably others I didn't look at have them too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

ASRock B650 Live Mixer. The colors may be garish, but it has a great set of features for the price. There's also the B650E Steel Legend and Taichi Light from ASRock, but they cost over $200.

Or there's the Gigabyte B650 Aero G for $160, which is another great deal and comes in a much more neutral white/silver colorway.

edit: wasn't aware those gigabyte mATX boards come with SPIDF. The full ATX versions don't, so that's weird. The Aero G is the clear best value from Gigabyte anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 17, 2023

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I built a new computer with a 5800X3d a year ago, but I'm still using an ancient 970 for a video card. Has anyone spotted any paticular standout deals on cards in the UK?

I'm porbbly looking at spending £700-900, 1k tops, so that's what, a 7900XT or a 4070ti, ish?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

So I built a new computer with a 5800X3d a year ago, but I'm still using an ancient 970 for a video card. Has anyone spotted any paticular standout deals on cards in the UK?

I'm porbbly looking at spending £700-900, 1k tops, so that's what, a 7900XT or a 4070ti, ish?

889.98 GBP PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX Hell Hound. Better for pure rasterized gaming.
739.99 GBP Zotac GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Trinity. Better for ray tracing and/or DLSS.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Branch Nvidian posted:

Assuming you mean TOSLINK/Optical then ASRock B650 LiveMixer, B650E Taichi, B650E Taichi Lite, B650E Steel Legend, ASUS ProArt B650 Creator, Gigabyte B650M AORUS Elite AX, B650M AORUS Elite (Rev. 1.3), and B650M AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.2) all have one. Probably others I didn't look at have them too.

Thanks. For some reason I couldn't find any with that

DrKevorkian
Jan 19, 2003

Dr. Death in his natural environment. Don't feed the Doctor!

Branch Nvidian posted:

Hooooo buddy. Okay, here's the parts list, I'll explain below:

Thank you so much for the input. It's been nearly a decade since I've specced out a PC on my own, so I definitely appreciate the feedback.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to limp my old gaming PC along until I can build a completely new system. It's a Shuttle XPC, unique case, so I'm limited what I can do.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz
CPU Cooler: Proprietary
Motherboard: Proprietary
Memory: 16GB
Storage: Samsung 1TB 870 EVO
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB XXX OC
Case: Proprietary
Power Supply: Proprietary 500W

Looking for a GPU that a 500W PSU can handle. Would this work?
Video Card: PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $189.99
Size is a concern, and length on this card is shorter than the one I have.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Salami Surgeon posted:

I'm trying to limp my old gaming PC along until I can build a completely new system. It's a Shuttle XPC, unique case, so I'm limited what I can do.

Video Card: PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Amazon)

The Radeon R9 380 has a 190W TDP and a length of 234mm, so anything at or below those numbers will work just fine. Rather than an RX 6600, I'd say you should spend just a little more money on an RX 6650 XT.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 18, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Salami Surgeon posted:

That card uses less power than your current one, so it should be just fine. In fact, you have the power headroom to go up to something like a 6650 XT. Only problem is the power connector. The R9 380 used 2 x 6-pin connectors, while the 6600 through 6650 XT use a single 8-pin. If the power cables hooked up to your current card have little two-pin connectors dangling off of the ends, then you're good. Otherwise you might have to do something funky like use a 2x6-pin-to-8-pin adapter. (like this—these should be safe as far as I'm aware. avoid the single 6-pin to 8-pin adapters though)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That card uses less power than your current one, so it should be just fine. In fact, you have the power headroom to go up to something like a 6650 XT. Only problem is the power connector. The R9 380 used 2 x 6-pin connectors, while the 6600 through 6650 XT use a single 8-pin. If the power cables hooked up to your current card have little two-pin connectors dangling off of the ends, then you're good. Otherwise you might have to do something funky like use a 2x6-pin-to-8-pin adapter. (like this—these should be safe as far as I'm aware. avoid the single 6-pin to 8-pin adapters though)

The specific model the OP has uses a 1x6-pin and a 1x8-pin connectors, so they should be able to just use the single 1x8-pin on the new GPU. :smuggo:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

The peerless assassin: should the fans be installed facing towards the back (i.e. the rear connectors) or front of the case?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

The peerless assassin: should the fans be installed facing towards the back (i.e. the rear connectors) or front of the case?

In the vast majority of instances you want the fan pulling air from the front of the case and exhausting it towards the back. Which is to say the fan will be on the side where the RAM is located with the motor and frame pushed against the heatsink fins.

For example:

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 18, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
After business today, it's time for a bit of overposting, as I do. :v:

Lilli posted:

My computer is approaching 8 years old and is starting to show various signs of failure so I was thinking about building a new PC. I live near a microcenter and was thinking about grabbing this bundle https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle, is there any particular reason I shouldn't or things I should be wary of?

Nope, looks good. I kind of wish a board that big came with more m.2 slots and/or I wish it was MicroATX overall, but given the price they're kind of fireselling it as is, so for what you pay it's good enough.

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Need a 1080p monitor. About to order this one unless someone tells me not to. IPS, 165hz, $120.

https://www.newegg.com/dark-gray-benq-mobiuz-ex240-24/p/N82E16824014917

This is really more of a question for the monitor thread, but naw, that looks Fine, especially for what you want the PC you put together to do.

I would definitely recommend against a GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti at this point in time. That's a 7-year-old architecture, and there will be more and more games coming out where it will either fail to play outright or struggle with.

Basically going to nth this. The 1080 Ti (and really a number of cards from the Maxwell/Pascal generation) is one/are some of the best card(s) ever made for the Unified Shader era, but that era technically came to an end in 2018. Alan Wake 2 has crossed the Rubicon of absolutely mandating mesh shaders, and this trend is only going to accelerate and we're going to see more and more games demand full compatibility with DirectX 12 Ultimate and do away with support for older vertex shading models. If you're going to get a new card as we near 2024, you absolutely should get something that's DX12U-compatible.

ASRock B650 Live Mixer. The colors may be garish, but it has a great set of features for the price.

So a note about this card in particular: ASRock's other LiveMixer motherboard (based on the Z790 Intel-compatible chipset) seems fairly well-regarded, as it goes, but the LM 650 has been racking up poor reviews on Newegg and elsewhere ever since it launched, apparently mostly over quality concerns, and the board's been marked down to $150 for over a month (when, ostensibly, it's meant to be a $225 part). I suspect the ones that have currently gone to retail might well be fairly dodgy, and they're priced to clear out before ASRock take a new revision live (hopefully). So if you get the LiveMixer B650, definitely go into it with a bit of caveat emptor in mind.

Twerk from Home posted:

I kinda imagine I hardly need to bring this up, but the K parts are "enthusiast" parts. They're mostly used by people looking to build their own systems, and are the ones that actually sell online to individuals (the non-Ks often sell to small system builders and the like). And, of course, the enthusiast market has been rough for Intel ever since the Ryzen 5000 series launched, and they've basically been taking it in the neeners ever since the X3D chips became a thing and the 5000s started seeing hefty discounts after the 7000s became a thing. They have, by reports and anecdotal evidence, tons and tons of these things now just lying fallow, and that at existing prices just aren't going to move, ever. So there's probably a lot of pressure on trying to clear them out of stock before they sit around for so long that they need to go to full clearance.

But yes, this does mean we end up with completely absurd situations like the 12600KF costing less than the 12400F, despite the enormous power gap in those two processors.

Which is also to say:

Gin posted:

Is this the best thread in SH/SC to get goon thoughts on Black Friday deals?

Wifi Toilet posted:

e: 12600 too (editor's note: 12600KF at $140)

This one is kind of an actual "everyone stop posting, :siren:awoooooga:siren:" moment.

These are the single lowest prices these two processors have ever been at. And it looks like Amazon intends to maintain them at this level all weekend, and up to Black Friday itself, so long as stock holds out.

These are insane deals for anyone looking to put together an Intel-based PC, or just a PC on a budget in general. The 12000 series is about two years old now, and can go blow-for-blow (and do a decent bit better) against their immediate competitors/generation-mates, the Ryzen 5600X and 5800X respectively for the 12600KF and 12700KF. They get outdone fairly handily in games by the 5800X3D, but the 12700KF in particular is better at general media/productivity tasks where compute power matters.

And now they're priced a bit lower than their competitors. (For the past few months, the 12600KF has sat at around $200, and the 12700 near $270.) They're both now at half or less of their original launch MSRPs.

They will still crunch through almost anything modern you throw at them, especially if you're gaming at 1080p. Heck, you can make a pretty capable 1080p machine for $900 with this deal: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J7yJkJ

Or you can really save some money and put together a DX12-Ulti-capable machine less than $700 (note, I wouldn't actually fully endorse this build as I think it makes a few too many compromises, but it shows what is possible thanks to these processor discounts): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6mYWt

And because LGA 1700 supports DDR5 and has a few different chipsets available at this point, you have a pretty wide assortment of mobo options to suit your needs. You even have an upgrade path available, if you feel like you need a bit more once the 13th/14th-gen Intels go on absurd discounts because they got kicked in by the Ryzen 7000s.

I mean, I'm probably coming across as a bit of an Intel shill at this point :v:, but the point is that these are really good deals while they hold. For sure they'll be influencing what I post as recommendations for the moment, and if you're in the market for a new PC right this second, you should absolutely take their availability into consideration. These prices can't be beat and they're likely to go away for a while after The Greatest Shopping Season Of The Year™ is over.

(And right now I'm agonizing over whether to pull the trigger on a 12700KF and parts right now, or wait to see if we get the holy and miraculous $349 or lower 7800X3D and some even bigger GPU deals a week from now... :ohdear:)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

(And right now I'm agonizing over whether to pull the trigger on a 12700KF and parts right now, or wait to see if we get the holy and miraculous $349 or lower 7800X3D and some even bigger GPU deals a week from now... :ohdear:)

Remember that there are extended return periods during this time of the year. Doesn't hurt to buy a 12700KF and parts now and then sit on them until these sales have ended in the event something you'd rather have more hits the right price.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend's 17 year old wants a desktop gaming PC. My current setup has a 5600x with a 3080ti.

Do I:
a) Upgrade my setup and build him one with my old stuff. This obviously hooks me up but probably ends up the :homebrew: option when I buy a 7800x3d and a 4090 and all the other new goodies

b) A budgetish ground up build for him with the general mid range stuff. 5800x3d, 4070 type setup

c) A black friday pre-built like this

If I go with b or c I'd like to keep the budget as much under $1500 as possible. My current setup wouldn't go to waste when I do upgrade as it would more than likely go to her youngest.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

fknlo posted:

My girlfriend's 17 year old wants a desktop gaming PC. My current setup has a 5600x with a 3080ti.

Do I:
a) Upgrade my setup and build him one with my old stuff. This obviously hooks me up but probably ends up the :homebrew: option when I buy a 7800x3d and a 4090 and all the other new goodies

b) A budgetish ground up build for him with the general mid range stuff. 5800x3d, 4070 type setup

If I go with b or c I'd like to keep the budget as much under $1500 as possible. My current setup wouldn't go to waste when I do upgrade as it would more than likely go to her youngest.

If I were you I'd do the new budget build, option B. Prices are pretty great all around right now and it lets you give them a choice of case and overall feel of the build, which I would have loved as a kid. Obviously doesn't work if you're trying to surprise them, but there's so much variety in cases now. That mITX case with a handle and bundled 700W Gold PSU for $110 looked like a great starting point for a SFF build.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

If I were you I'd do the new budget build, option B. Prices are pretty great all around right now and it lets you give them a choice of case and overall feel of the build, which I would have loved as a kid. Obviously doesn't work if you're trying to surprise them, but there's so much variety in cases now. That mITX case with a handle and bundled 700W Gold PSU for $110 looked like a great starting point for a SFF build.

Following from this, if you have an idea of what he might like as far as case size goes, order the parts and tell him you're building it for a friend and ask him to help you out, and when it's all done tell him it's actually for him, or wrap it and give it as a gift if y'all do Christmas or Hanukah or something similar.

Something like this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($199.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2 65.59 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($90.35 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B660M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($549.95 @ Newegg)
Case: HYTE REVOLT 3 Mini ITX Tower Case w/700 W Power Supply ($101.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1182.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-18 11:00 EST-0500

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 18, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

fknlo posted:

Do I:

Build a micro-atx itx with a 12700KF as described above. Your computer is a good modern gaming PC and absolute overkill for an idiot 17 year old who won't appricate it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

Following from this, if you have an idea of what he might like as far as case size goes, order the parts and tell him you're building it for a friend and ask him to help you out, and when it's all done tell him it's actually for him, or wrap it and give it as a gift if y'all do Christmas or Hanukah or something similar.

Something like this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($199.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2 65.59 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($90.35 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B660M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($549.95 @ Newegg)
Case: HYTE REVOLT 3 Mini ITX Tower Case w/700 W Power Supply ($101.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1182.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-18 11:00 EST-0500

I wouldn't do a 1TB disk at this point, can't you get a good 2TB one for like $20 more? Same with RAM, it's cheap as poo poo, get 32GB. But yes, pretty much this.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why is everyone recommending ITX?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Rinkles posted:

Less desk/floor space, lighter, easier to prevent scope and cost creep by blocking off upgrade paths due to lack of space. Garish PC's are edgy 2000's artifacts, death to RGB. Alternately, its ok to go full bosozoku excess with cases, display that wild poo poo with pride. Just no halfassing half measures. IKEA PC looking rear end.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I wouldn't do a 1TB disk at this point, can't you get a good 2TB one for like $20 more? Same with RAM, it's cheap as poo poo, get 32GB. But yes, pretty much this.

Oh lol I thought I did a 2TB drive and 32GB of RAM. Prices really are that similar.

Rinkles posted:

I figured a kid's room, college dorm in a couple years. Made sense to go small?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Because it has a handle on it and I'm so out of touch that I assume teenagers still lug their desktops around to go play HL1 mods and StarCraft with each other in person.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Rinkles posted:

That’s a pretty killer deal on the case and PSU. IMO a lot of the drawbacks of ITX are overblown - price certainly can be an issue, but it’s possible to make great budget compact PCs, exactly like Nvidian’s build. For a kid with limited room space or yeah potentially about to go to college it makes a lot of sense.

fknlo posted:

Do this and help him build it as a present/bonding exercise/whatever. Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach him to fish feed him for life. I built a PC with my nephew last summer and he loved it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I really like ITX but I ultimately believe that a case should be as tall as your desk and at least as heavy as your kid. It should be an extension of your work surface and a place where you set a lamp or pencil holder.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I guess it really depends on the person but "atx case chockablock with rgb unicorn vomit everywhere, a big glass panel for vinyl stickers and plenty of interior room to display tchotchkes" could also be a winner for a teen

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Butterfly Valley posted:

Do this and help him build it as a present/bonding exercise/whatever. Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach him to fish feed him for life. I built a PC with my nephew last summer and he loved it.

I'm definitely leaning this way. Pretty sure he's gonna want a blinging RGB setup. I'm not one to talk as I have a Lian Li PC 011 dynamic but I'm down to one set of RGB fans in it and have the gray noctuas for the other 2 sets.

Just remembered that I should have my old 3070 sitting around so I may not even need a GPU at the moment. Buy him some better stuff to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah my nephew wanted to go with as much of a white build as possible and it was just after the fractal pop air came out so he chose the matx version of that. We both enjoyed the whole process and he’s been tinkering a bit with it since to add more storage and install the extra usb c front panel cable etc.

Especially if you have a spare 3070 lol that’s a great starting point. Save your money for your own build for the RTX 50 series, you’ll be fine on a 3080ti for another year or two.