Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Maed posted:

I already said above that there is so much energy in the gasoline we use that it's 3 times the current full output of the us electrical system, maybe you should read and learn something jackass instead of begging for info that you won't read

ic engine efficiency is about 30-35 though for most personal vehicles and most personal vehicle charges would be at night. so it’s not a 1:1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

ic engine efficiency is about 30-35 though for most personal vehicles and most personal vehicle charges would be at night. so it’s not a 1:1.

Isn't 30-35% efficiency like, the upper bound for IC engines thermodynamically? I recall hearing that before as a hard limit.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Maed posted:

I already said above that there is so much energy in the gasoline we use that it's 3 times the current full output of the us electrical system, maybe you should read and learn something jackass instead of begging for info that you won't read

looks like America's going nuclear then

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

skooma512 posted:

Isn't 30-35% efficiency like, the upper bound for IC engines thermodynamically? I recall hearing that before as a hard limit.

Naw, we do better than that now, the Toyota Prius is over 40% and F1 engines are over 50%. If someone can work out a good turbo compounding system for road cars we've got some room to run.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

skooma512 posted:

I think so.

bigger truck diesel cycles can push 40-45%. large slow speed marine diesels with a waste heat boiler driving a turbine are better than that, CoGas (gas turbine paired with waste heat boiler) is currently the best and I think they get close to 60%? but it’s been a very long time since I looked at that, like decades now.

Steam plants even with reheat and high superheat have a hard ceiling around 35% because they need a condenser as part of the cycle.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Naw, we do better than that now, the Toyota Prius is over 40% and F1 engines are over 50%. If someone can work out a good turbo compounding system for road cars we've got some room to run.

that’s a hybrid so yes it will be better than a straight IC. I’ve no idea what the hybrid limits are.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

now I’m wondering what a marine CoGas hybrid plant would get. I think there might be a few of those in the wild now.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

In Training posted:

They should let ChatGPT run the company.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I think it can be simultaneously true that western auto manufacturers are gearing up the infrastructure to take a stab at transitioning to EVs, and also that it will be an enormous fiasco for a million reasons

Also wtf Elon was a co-chair of open AI? Lmao if I had known that from the beginning I would have been much more able to convince people to temper their excitement

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

elon and altman put up the initial cash but at some point elon threw a hissy fit when altman wouldnt let him fold openai into tesla

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Maed posted:

Kinda, sorta, ish. We're also not getting nearly as many thermal losses when we do electric, especially if we're not doing thermal-to-electric stuff, like natgas, coal, or nuclear. I don't know where you're getting the 3x energy usage. It's true that energy *density* of gasoline is about 3x of what an ideal lithium battery is, but that's a very different thing, especially when our ability to convert petrol to "move stuff" tops out at around 30ish percent efficiency.

Peep the energy differences between the "actual move poo poo" in transportation and the 'rejected heat energy'. From there, take a few seconds to think about how the energy will go into making batteries, which bumps up industrial energy usage, and not 100% electric. Toss in the round-trip efficiency of electricity being 90ish for batteries, and it's less impossible and more merely "difficult".

That being said, mass transit is the actual answer, but here we are, with a better-than-nothing answer.

Joey Steel has issued a correction as of 23:22 on Nov 17, 2023

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The leader of the democratic world met with the American oligarchs' top henchmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA99rfoS3UM

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sam, Altman here

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

In Training posted:

Got an email that New York public libraries will no longer be open on Sundays bc Adams cut their budget. loving scum!

this and all the hundred other things like it is why the “vibes economy” is doing so poorly.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

imagine libraries didn’t already exist and someone proposed them as a possible public service today. it’s laughable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cool av posted:

imagine libraries didn’t already exist and someone proposed them as a possible public service today. it’s laughable.

"Look, you can't just BUILD a library"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Joey Steel posted:

Kinda, sorta, ish. We're also not getting nearly as many thermal losses when we do electric, especially if we're not doing thermal-to-electric stuff, like natgas, coal, or nuclear. I don't know where you're getting the 3x energy usage. It's true that energy *density* of gasoline is about 3x of what an ideal lithium battery is, but that's a very different thing, especially when our ability to convert petrol to "move stuff" tops out at around 30ish percent efficiency.

Peep the energy differences between the "actual move poo poo" in transportation and the 'rejected heat energy'. From there, take a few seconds to think about how the energy will go into making batteries, which bumps up industrial energy usage, and not 100% electric. Toss in the round-trip efficiency of electricity being 90ish for batteries, and it's less impossible and more merely "difficult".

That being said, mass transit is the actual answer, but here we are, with a better-than-nothing answer.

There's just no way any major nation electrifies significantly before 2035 or even much later. The timescales are too short and the tasks too big. The UK has already flip flopped along with EU nations on when to ban ICE sales, and they're a fraction of the total transport emissions produced by oil industry. A faster and more likely alternative is to just go all in on hybrids because fossil fuels ain't going anywhere, and those resources for EVs are better put to use in making ICE more efficient than making far fewer actual BEVs.

But WWIII or the AMOC shutting down will happen sooner, so I can't really care too much.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bet you that Will Stancil has a draft sitting somewhere arguing that private bookstores are the only possible way to make minority access to books possible.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

And don't we already have a notoriously fragile grid that's overloaded every summer, summers which are getting hotter btw, where replacement parts are on 18-24 month backorder?

Like, we barely maintain the poo poo we have now, let alone build up in anticipation of future demand, which I'm told is dumb bullshit the Chinese do for things like housing

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
You know how the Kyoto Protocol is the framework that setup the entirety of the laughable and useless carbon trading market? Despite it being useless at actually doing anything it has employed lots of people and everyone knows exactly how many emissions every company and person adds to the atmosphere. Every corporate and finance entity is going all in into sustainability and making sure their financiers and customers know that.

Biodiversity loss is for the very first time something that capitalists are paying attention to.

But there is no Kyoto Protocol going to happen for that because there is war in Europe and the Middle East is a poo poo show and westerns countries are no longer capable of functioning. Every industrialized nation is gearing up for lots of war and you can’t go to war on solar and wind energy. You can’t use biodiesel to fuel fighter jets or Reaper UAVs.

The beginning of the end is happening now. Enjoy your time left. Biodiversity loss and the brunt of the effects of Climate Change, like many other things, will be mostly felt by the generations that came after the boomers. Enjoy!

BUUNNI has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Nov 18, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

A lot of people apparently liked this cartoon (I tried pulling it directly from twitter but there's no text hooks on the tweet and that account has a zillion posts so I'm not going to infinite scroll a goddamn month and a half back):

"Look how much simpler (and therefore better) it is when you just say what you want, and ignore the steps necessary for making that work!"

Like don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of public libraries, but subsidizing book consumption would be way simpler to implement than running public libraries. Both plans would require funding, but that's about all a well-designed subsidy would need. With libraries you need to build physical facilities, you need to decide where to build those physical facilities, you need to staff them, you need to decide what books to buy and how many, you need to decide when to remove books from circulation, and so on. That cartoon's probably the clearest example I've seen of "My ideas are better than yours because I'm counting on Implementation Fairies to make everything work" on the left. On the right, of course, we have Donald Trump promising endless winning and better health care, and of course Ronald Reagan's famous rebuttal to Jimmy Carter's health care proposal, "There you go again. :)"

(Here's some things that are great about public libraries: they're a public space, which is something American society desperately needs. They're a quiet public space. They're free to use, so you can explore lots of books with minimal investment. They're free to use, so children have access to books. Librarians are less mercenary than publishers so they're more likely to promote books on merit rather than profit. Librarians can help patrons research and guide them to books they might be interested in. Note how none of these things is "library systems are easy to set up and maintain.")

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Nov 18, 2023

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Think about bullshit jobs (hell, read the book) and how much of it is The Economy.

Now, delayer the economy as more frivolous uses of energy become unsustainable and more energy is directed to basic upkeep.

Keep doing that until something breaks. Or just keep digging up more carbon to burn and get those rookie numbers of 5ºC by 2100 blown out the water.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

VitalSigns posted:

A lot of people apparently liked this cartoon... *SNIP*

"Listen, we aren't able to simply CONSTRUCT a bibliotheca."

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

neoliberalism is the idea of doing nothing and expecting praise

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yea but electrics are also a lot heavier. not saying your wrong, but it's significant enough to account for

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

ArmedZombie posted:

yea but electrics are also a lot heavier. not saying your wrong, but it's significant enough to account for

They can wear tyres up to twice as quickly and certainly have an impact on road surfaces too. And yes, having my car's entire mass as just your "fuel tank" to try and get the range I get is certainly not a great selling point. I mean, if you're anyone other than the modern SUV/truck lover.

I got a 1-litre, 3 cylinder Fiesta MHEV that gets me ~60 MPG US on the motorway. But it also only weighs 1600 kg, which is less than the weight of the Hummer EV's battery pack, IIRC.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

how can we meet these climate goals???? there's a WAR going on!!!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

ArmedZombie posted:

The weight of electric vehicles also greatly increases tire wear, which about the single most devastating water pollution source nowadays.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/25/tyre-dust-the-stealth-pollutant-becoming-a-huge-threat-to-ocean-life

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

how can we meet these climate goals???? there's a WAR going on!!!
Once the wars are done we'll get this climate change thing sorted, nbd.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

BUUNNI posted:

You know how the Kyoto Protocol is the framework that setup the entirety of the laughable and useless carbon trading market? Despite it being useless at actually doing anything it has employed lots of people and everyone knows exactly how many emissions every company and person adds to the atmosphere. Every corporate and finance entity is going all in into sustainability and making sure their financiers and customers know that.

Biodiversity loss is for the very first time something that capitalists are paying attention to.

But there is no Kyoto Protocol going to happen for that because there is war in Europe and the Middle East is a poo poo show and westerns countries are no longer capable of functioning. Every industrialized nation is gearing up for lots of war and you can’t go to war on solar and wind energy. You can’t use biodiesel to fuel fighter jets or Reaper UAVs.

The beginning of the end is happening now. Enjoy your time left. Biodiversity loss and the brunt of the effects of Climate Change, like many other things, will be mostly felt by the generations that came after the boomers. Enjoy!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i know it's statistically insignificant, but sometimes i think about all the tread wear of hiking shoes on trails, and where that rubber goes

just real poo poo.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lmao

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

cool av posted:

so you want to make software piracy but for books? how do we become the middle men

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How much more CO2 did humanity spew into the air over dumb bullshit these two years like invading a country and bombing hospitals

Real good use of fossil fuels, bombing a loving hospital

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

you're never gonna convince a thread full of pessimists and doomers that good things are possible and in fact happening

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol because for the majority of humanity good things ARE NOT happening and WILL NOT happen

i get that you live in a bubble and like it there but don't get pissy that the rest of the planet still exists and has to put up with bullshit and fallout from the likes of you

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

you're never gonna convince a thread full of pessimists and doomers that good things are possible and in fact happening

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

There's just no way any major nation electrifies significantly before 2035 or even much later. The timescales are too short and the tasks too big. The UK has already flip flopped along with EU nations on when to ban ICE sales, and they're a fraction of the total transport emissions produced by oil industry. A faster and more likely alternative is to just go all in on hybrids because fossil fuels ain't going anywhere, and those resources for EVs are better put to use in making ICE more efficient than making far fewer actual BEVs.

But WWIII or the AMOC shutting down will happen sooner, so I can't really care too much.

Calling our petrol usage 3x times our electricity usage, however, is overselling the problem. It IS really difficult. Impossible, sure, given the current political climate and the inherently bad decision that is "more EVs" and not "electrify rail, and build public transport".

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

VitalSigns posted:

A lot of people apparently liked this cartoon (I tried pulling it directly from twitter but there's no text hooks on the tweet and that account has a zillion posts so I'm not going to infinite scroll a goddamn month and a half back):

"Look how much simpler (and therefore better) it is when you just say what you want, and ignore the steps necessary for making that work!"

Like don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of public libraries, but subsidizing book consumption would be way simpler to implement than running public libraries. Both plans would require funding, but that's about all a well-designed subsidy would need. With libraries you need to build physical facilities, you need to decide where to build those physical facilities, you need to staff them, you need to decide what books to buy and how many, you need to decide when to remove books from circulation, and so on. That cartoon's probably the clearest example I've seen of "My ideas are better than yours because I'm counting on Implementation Fairies to make everything work" on the left. On the right, of course, we have Donald Trump promising endless winning and better health care, and of course Ronald Reagan's famous rebuttal to Jimmy Carter's health care proposal, "There you go again. :)"

(Here's some things that are great about public libraries: they're a public space, which is something American society desperately needs. They're a quiet public space. They're free to use, so you can explore lots of books with minimal investment. They're free to use, so children have access to books. Librarians are less mercenary than publishers so they're more likely to promote books on merit rather than profit. Librarians can help patrons research and guide them to books they might be interested in. Note how none of these things is "library systems are easy to set up and maintain.")

this post made me dumber, which is pretty hard considering where I'm starting from

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

They can wear tyres up to twice as quickly and certainly have an impact on road surfaces too. And yes, having my car's entire mass as just your "fuel tank" to try and get the range I get is certainly not a great selling point. I mean, if you're anyone other than the modern SUV/truck lover.

I got a 1-litre, 3 cylinder Fiesta MHEV that gets me ~60 MPG US on the motorway. But it also only weighs 1600 kg, which is less than the weight of the Hummer EV's battery pack, IIRC.

Personal electric vehicles are not heavy enough to be noticeably different on the road (tire wear isn't in my wheelhouse). Roads only start getting worn out quickly by vehicles when you toss semi trucks full of sex arses on the highway.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What kind of music do the giant speakers that your local police department puts up to drive away the homeless play?

I've got mostly classical locally, but I rode past one that was blaring opera. I do wonder how long the loop is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

Got an email that New York public libraries will no longer be open on Sundays bc Adams cut their budget. loving scum!
my city, which boasts some of the best public libraries in america, cut Sundays from all of them back during the GFC and just never recovered. they keep promising to re-open the main branch on sunday but who knows

lots of things like that happened and welp, just ratcheting downward