Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

And he’s probably cheap while they get their new stadium built too.

Final vote is supposed to be next week but northwestern can't help themselves from offering deals like
City gets: 10 years of chump change
University gets: infinite duration absolute power over locality no take backs

I still think it'll get approved but it's comical how short sighted the university is being with the negotiations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/SSN_UH/status/1725210598005203408

So that's a sign

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

dirty shrimp money posted:

So that's a sign

Catchphrase of my favorite comedian, Millennial Bill Engval

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Given the absolute loving mess he inherited it's hard to imagine the team playing better.

It's a loving miracle he led them to even 2 wins let alone likely being bowl eligible

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Not that I personally thought it was a big deal, but did he manage to distance himself from the t-shirt thing that happened shortly after he took the interim mantle, or has be just been good enough that everyone has politely agreed to forget about it?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

General Dog posted:

Not that I personally thought it was a big deal, but did he manage to distance himself from the t-shirt thing that happened shortly after he took the interim mantle, or has be just been good enough that everyone has politely agreed to forget about it?

he didn't say anything about the t-shirts. the coach wearing the t-shirt was the lovely offensive coordinator mike bajakian. Braun has basically said nothing of about the scandal publicly at all and has just been talking around it, but it is also important to note that the university president and athletic director said nothing publicly themselves and just issued press releases and then sent braun to be the first person to talk in front of the media at big ten media days. I'm sure behind the scenes he's a Fitz defender but he's been savvy enough to just never address it directly and he hasn't gotten a direct question about it other than just referring to vague "adversity" all season as far as I can tell.

if this dude can manage to run the program without weird sexual hazing and racism that would be pretty cool.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

trevorreznik posted:

I still think it'll get approved but it's comical how short sighted the university is being with the negotiations

I'm going to miss those dumb castle-like towers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

I'm going to miss those dumb castle-like towers.

I love my 1920s dilapidated shithole stadium and think a new stadium for literally northwestern football is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The stadium fits the team. Dyche Stadium baby!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's cheap, you can park on the street a few blocks from the stadium, and there's like 15 people there unless they're playing another big Midwestern team, it's like there's not a big ten football game going on at all, which fits the program.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The more I'm reading, it appears James Franklin made the decision before the Michigan game that he was firing Mike Yurcich. One of the QB recruits that committed to Penn State before the game was told by Franklin at the time that Yurcich wouldn't be returning. Despite Sean Clifford being notoriously inconsistent, Penn State's offense last year was reasonably competent and well-balanced. This year is a massive step back, almost dead last in big plays and incredibly predictable and conservative in playcalling (13 1st down runs against Michigan). It's not what anyone expected, especially after how well Allar looked in his first start against WVU. I'm at a loss for how things went off the rails on offense this year. The wide receivers aren't as good this year, but there are two NFL caliber tight ends.

Penn State fans want Sean Lewis from Colorado, but he might be one of the leading candidates for the Michigan State job. And the other name that has come up is Andy Ludwig from Utah, but he might be unattainable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think Lewis is heading for some kind of head coaching job. Not sure why he’d take another coordinator role.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

R.D. Mangles posted:

I love my 1920s dilapidated shithole stadium and think a new stadium for literally northwestern football is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard.

finish dyche, imo

more castles!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
My hope is that demolishing Ryan Field will destroy its evil spirits that haunt Wisconsin every time they play there.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

finish dyche, imo

more castles!

Each home game, one lucky ticket holder gets to dump hot oil on the visiting team as they take the field

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Visiting teams have the option to invest the stadium and are declared the winner if Northwestern tries to leave for food.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Qwijib0 posted:

finish dyche, imo

more castles!

hells yes! That is sweet as hell and I can see no reason why that shouldn't exist. 2nd level is full club/suite, video boards on each of the turrets in the corners.

Their modern designs are lame, and they're not even moving it on campus. Double lame.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Qwijib0 posted:

finish dyche, imo

more castles!

gently caress yeah!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

When I’m president all cfb stadiums will either need to be castles or somehow incorporate a gigantic statue into it

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

When I’m president all cfb stadiums will either need to be castles or somehow incorporate a gigantic statue into it

Be careful what you wish for

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rectal Placenta posted:

Wow that's a lotta testicles

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Dabo to Michigan you heard it here first

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Rectal Placenta posted:

Hell yeah get those bad dragon sponsorship dollars

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I actually think it would be a good hire, but still lol if A&M shells out like $90m just to poach the HC from UTSA. Basically any hire outside of a massive splash is funny in that context I guess.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

If Lincoln Riley isn't gone tonight, he's gotta be gone at the end of the season, right?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
please fire Dana

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

If Lincoln Riley isn't gone tonight, he's gotta be gone at the end of the season, right?

There is 0% chance they fire Riley wtf

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

What? No. Jesus christ.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

LeeMajors posted:

It would be really funny though

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

LeeMajors posted:

Lincoln Riley is the most unserious "elite" coach I've ever seen, so I dunno

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
USC without Caleb Williams next year too.

Maybe they can get someone in the portal. How many years does Bo Nix have left?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think Lincoln Riley is always going to have a line of elite QBs wanting to transfer in just based on his track record, plus the USC of it all.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Thermos H Christ posted:

I actually think it would be a good hire, but still lol if A&M shells out like $90m just to poach the HC from UTSA. Basically any hire outside of a massive splash is funny in that context I guess.

He has extensive tentacles into Texas HS football which would definitely be a plus for them

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If you hire the UTSA guy, you don't have to pay him $90 million. He's the coach of UTSA.

He makes $2.5 million a year now

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

If you hire the UTSA guy, you don't have to pay him $90 million. He's the coach of UTSA.

I think it’s a hell of a hire if they do it. Idk if boosters will be able to set egos aside and make the right hire vs a high profile hire.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think Traylor has done excellent work at UTSA, but my concern with him at A&M is that his ties to the Texas HS coaches may be a bit moot when it comes to A&M’s ability to pull in the 4 and 5 stars. Where the connections are really helpful is in finding the hidden 3-starts tucked away in the dusty corners of the state.

Now maybe the A&M recruiting machine more or less runs itself and he also happens to be a great player’s coach and CEO, but that’s not really projectable from what he’s done at UTSA. I don’t mean it as an insult when I say that I think overall his strengths are probably more valuable at one of the Big 12 schools than it they at A&M.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shorter way of saying that is that I think Traylor could basically build Dan Mullen’s Mississippi State at A&M, which is admirable in its own way but probably not likely to lead to a long, happy partnership.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dan Mullen's Mississippi State is basically what A&M has been for my entire life, just with the occasional five star.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, they paid Jimbo like 100M for 45 wins, so he'd be sucker to take much less than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Dan Mullen's Mississippi State is basically what A&M has been for my entire life, just with the occasional five star.

This. Last conference title- 1998.

Mississippi State's last divisional title? 1998. (their last conference title- 1941)