Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What's most important is what lightbending guys opinion on ai art is though - and that depends solely on how well you pitch it to him, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Task: Find the traffic hooligan

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Jacob Irw has lost the plot painting his racer like a police vehicle.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
No.......oh no....

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Gaius Marius posted:

Are you visually impaired

am after reading ur posts

Oxyclean posted:

I think their problem was it being "soulless and derivative" not that there wasn't anything of visual interest.

I think generative AI produces "interesting" things, and is sort of fascinating from a technological perspective, but at the heart of it is essentially a ton of art theft and an intent to try to disempower and replace artists.

To make a bit of strong comparison, it's like looking at fascist propaganda and going "well, it looks kind of cool?"

I know you put soulless and derivative in quotes, but that's one of the common complaints against AI art, yet what could possibly give it soul? A cool backstory about how the artist who painted it is imprisoned and fed data until it completes a task, with no end in sight to it's existence? Every act of creativity is using something that's already present, if I draw a landscape it's going to be derivative of several thousand other landscape painters, and the landscape will probably have been painted dozens of times already. Still doesn't mean one can't appreciate a landscape, or any piece of art for what one sees it to be.

Even coming up with the right prompt to generate art requires creativity, could well be a whole new gig for some people.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Desdinova posted:

Even coming up with the right prompt to generate art requires creativity, could well be a whole new gig for some people.

I cannot believe a real person wrote these words on a screen and then went „hmm yes i should post this that’ll make me look reasonable and intelligent”.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

AI is a loving shitshow and I'm glad every time I see a crypto nonce get dragged for it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Desperately hoping for several more pages of AI art chat. It's as interesting as it is enlightening.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Desdinova posted:

I know you put soulless and derivative in quotes, but that's one of the common complaints against AI art, yet what could possibly give it soul?
Nothing, "soulless" just means "I'm a religious moralist and I don't like this thing."

It's not as toothsome as the communist critique of AI art being a threat to the interests of the working class, or the fascist rants about how "they will not replace us" and "we can always tell!", but that's moralism for ya.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

regulargonzalez posted:

Desperately hoping for several more pages of AI art chat. It's as interesting as it is enlightening.

And with red text like that, who could argue!

Some fan art that isn't computer-scraped plagiarized busy dogshit:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Can AI insert Evrart into the Ned Beatty big speech towards the end of Network?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Nothing, "soulless" just means "I'm a religious moralist and I don't like this thing."

It's not as toothsome as the communist critique of AI art being a threat to the interests of the working class, or the fascist rants about how "they will not replace us" and "we can always tell!", but that's moralism for ya.

Well of course a rogue ai goddess would think that

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

holy poo poo

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gently caress me this is violent.

lmao

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 19, 2023

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

General Battuta posted:

gently caress off ghoul

e: like the bourgeois your last 60 posts are not human

he has like seven pages of posts that're just AI art spam, they are the only post he has made on this forum since july

wtf

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
AI is helping me to express myself.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I don't think the white nationalist or transphobic slogans are in reference to AI art, op

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's bad because it's plagiarism for profit, this should not be hard to understand. Generative art that actually licensed and paid for the art used to train it would be a lot less of a problem (though not a non-problem, there are still issues with watermarking, etc etc). This is not some utopian fantasy, it's what Meta had to do when generating music, because, again, the RIAA has lawyers.

God why am I perpetuating this horrible derail. I must've failed my Volition roll. Or is it Rhetoric. Help me

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Say one of these pro-AI or anti-AI things or gently caress off.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Whoa... easy there, Gold Mouth. They don't *have* to say anything. Re-engage poster mode and bail out, if you like.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

christmas boots posted:

Well of course a rogue ai goddess would think that
My Esprit de Corps is sky-high, so I have no choice but to rep the data set.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost

regulargonzalez posted:

And it has *so little* to do with the murder that we’re investigating.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I want to have gently caress with AI.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

And it has *so little* to do with the murder that we’re investigating.

what if it's connected to the case in some dark and sexy way?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

World War Mammories posted:

I want to have gently caress with AI.

Buddy,

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
An art student walks around the gallery, taking in the old masters work: The intricate brush-strokes, the countless hours of preparation, the studying for weeks on end of the subject that was chosen to be painted. Eventually the art student starts making their own paintings, in his own way having learned from the results of the masters.

"Derivative", "Soulless", "Boring", "Should have paid money to be able to look at a painting", rage the critics. The student, suffering as is traditionally appropriate for art, incorporates these critiques and as the gallery installs a new type of curator, admission prices on galleries and libraries are introduced that block all but the wealthy from appreciating art it in its many forms.

An underground art-appreciation circle forms, where prospective artists can look at each other's work and pass bootleg .jpgs of Renior's and Cezanne's work. The same art is made again, computer and human together creating whatever they like, because art is like that, and if it pisses people off usually then it's doing some good.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The algorithm isn't suffering, the artists who's art was stolen for the data set ARE, because their jobs and livelihoods are being deleted with machines.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Desdinova posted:

An underground art-appreciation circle forms, where prospective artists can look at each other's work and pass bootleg .jpgs of Renior's and Cezanne's work. The same art is made again, computer and human together creating whatever they like, because art is like that, and if it pisses people off usually then it's doing some good.

The computers do not create. They only mash and smear, just faster than the most inefficient of humans.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol honestly the self-delusion at comparing image generation software to a striving artist. Computer doesn't even know or care what it's doing, it just jams together its most associated visuals for 'goku shaking hands with joe biden' when someone asks it to

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Desdinova posted:

An art student walks around the gallery, taking in the old masters work: The intricate brush-strokes, the countless hours of preparation, the studying for weeks on end of the subject that was chosen to be painted. Eventually the art student starts making their own paintings, in his own way having learned from the results of the masters.

"Derivative", "Soulless", "Boring", "Should have paid money to be able to look at a painting", rage the critics. The student, suffering as is traditionally appropriate for art, incorporates these critiques and as the gallery installs a new type of curator, admission prices on galleries and libraries are introduced that block all but the wealthy from appreciating art it in its many forms.

Hugo "Dada" Ball would have spat directly in your face

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You should have listened to Mr. Claire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Had this guy on Facebook trying to tell me that being against AI art is ableist. Yeah dude, disabled artists totally have not existed before now, and letting corporations steal their works and eliminate any future opportunities for them to get gigs as an artist will not negatively affect them at all!