Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Doomykins posted:

"Well, it's impossible that you could've hired or traded favors to get outside help to do it, or you or your staff could've done anything to reduce calories spent such as using a vehicle, and I'll just trust data you gathered yourself that presents the outcome you most desire." Incredible detective work, officer. The next god drat strip is family outside the company discussing whether or not it would've been convenient for them to do the murder themselves!!!

This is a world where a protected class of elites can freely murder anybody outside of that class(or in it as seen here) with penalties against the prey class for fighting back with things that are "unfair" to defending themselves from random violence and the only safeguard against this system being abused is that sometimes the cops will very passively ask if you were a bad girl and if you say "Nah lol" they'll shrug and call it cased closed?
Well yeah, they're basically rich white industrialists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
:smith:

the real animal is man, holbrook u genius...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We're putting way more thought into this than Holbrook has.

Change Holbrook to "any of these artists" and there's a thread title

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Cranskshaft

Hey folks, remember that hilarious story I did a while back? What a hoot that was. Remember? Remember that? REMEMBER?? Well it was pretty funny, let me assure you. Once again: you are currently reading a funny comic strip. The loveable old grouch is a staple of the funny pages and chuckling at his antics is a cherished part of your daily routine.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Doomykins posted:

"Well, it's impossible that you could've hired or traded favors to get outside help to do it, or you or your staff could've done anything to reduce calories spent such as using a vehicle, and I'll just trust data you gathered yourself that presents the outcome you most desire." Incredible detective work, officer. The next god drat strip is family outside the company discussing whether or not it would've been convenient for them to do the murder themselves!!!

This is a world where a protected class of elites can freely murder anybody outside of that class(or in it as seen here) with penalties against the prey class for fighting back with things that are "unfair" to defending themselves from random violence and the only safeguard against this system being abused is that sometimes the cops will very passively ask if you were a bad girl and if you say "Nah lol" they'll shrug and call it cased closed?
What I think about sometimes when Kevin and Kell gets like this is Sherman's Lagoon, which is also a strip about talking animals constantly eating each other - hell, the titular character is a great white shark that's basically a milder-mannered Homer Simpson, appetite included - and it has never once ever had these sorts of issues entirely because of one thing: the strip has zero interest in establishing the characters as moral paragons. Every single member of the cast is ultimately some kind of selfish or deficient jerk to one degree or another, because those elements lend themselves easily to comedy, and that also means you don't have this insane omnipresent tension where characters are killing and eating people while simultaneously being portrayed as the best people ever whose suffering is totally unwarranted and unjust and whose triumphs are righteous and deserved.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My favorite takeaway from that Holbrook storyline is the establishment that there is a social class with some legal protection from predation now, and it's "member of a hate group."

Want it to be illegal for Herd Thinners to eat you? Loudly join and participate in some unsavory rallies, and anyone that comes after you is targeting.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This was a good batch of this strip, but what's 'un-day'?

Drakyn posted:

What I think about sometimes when Kevin and Kell gets like this is Sherman's Lagoon, which is also a strip about talking animals constantly eating each other - hell, the titular character is a great white shark that's basically a milder-mannered Homer Simpson, appetite included - and it has never once ever had these sorts of issues entirely because of one thing: the strip has zero interest in establishing the characters as moral paragons. Every single member of the cast is ultimately some kind of selfish or deficient jerk to one degree or another, because those elements lend themselves easily to comedy, and that also means you don't have this insane omnipresent tension where characters are killing and eating people while simultaneously being portrayed as the best people ever whose suffering is totally unwarranted and unjust and whose triumphs are righteous and deserved.
Yeah, but how many pregnancy arcs have there been in Sherman's Lagoon? I bet not a one!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe Sarvana got all her murdering out while she was grenade launchering, and she'd be willing to live and let live.
You're not far off.

The Phantom

However, with a big lifestyle change like "I'm going to start going to the gym regularly" or "I'm going to stop killing people" there are often lapses into old behavior before it becomes habit, so I would probably not yet tell her you know where the man who abused her when she was a child lives.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sherman had a child-shark so maybe?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Yo, announcer, these are teenagers playing. You should probably at least try to pretend you are concerned if someone's child has a major injury during the game.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 15, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

riderchop posted:

I'm with Arlo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm behind on my Garfield lore. Do they have a "smart" fridge, or is he talking to the leftover meatloaf that's been in there so long it evolved?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

This was a few months after 9/11, when W Bush said that the most patriotic thing you could do was consume.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Yeah, but how many pregnancy arcs have there been in Sherman's Lagoon? I bet not a one!

Crab Dad posted:

Sherman had a child-shark so maybe?
I'm surprised at myself for knowing this off the top of my head, but it's at least 2.5: Megan and Sherman had a kid as per Crab Dad; Megan ALSO had a brief false pregnancy at some point years before that, and way, way, way, way back in the day - like 1992, just a few years after launch - an early cast member that vanished later on (a seahorse) gave birth. I guess averaged out over thirty years that's not unusual enough to be weird, or at least not as weird as I feel and look for remembering it.
Source: the Sherman's Lagoon site- and its 1991-1993 archives - was basically the only thing I knew how to find on our dial-up back in 1997.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp

Yo, announcer, these are teenagers playing. You should probably at least try to pretend you are concerned if someone's child has a major injury during the game.

Given this guy's history in the strip, it's 50/50 if he's running out to check on his kid or to finish the job

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Murdstone posted:

Not much. What's un-day with you?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

gently caress all the way off with this bullshit. Yes, I'm aware of the context.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Day

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Bardiche Hotel

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
VARGO CATCHUP

BREAKING THREAD NEWS: Breaking Cat News IS GOOD AGAIN

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Bardiche Hotel

Missing a lot of closure here today. If I could get a 9th panel in each WAR where the first guy is shot and the second guy is punched in the nose that'd be great. Also please let Mr Well-Well be wholesome for real. :ohdear:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

At least WARbaby is still having a good time.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

mary worth is boring

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/29-31/51

Archie 10/7-9/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 10/16-18/51

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

you broke my grill posted:

mary worth is boring

Counterpoint: everyone in MW is a seething cesspool of the most vile and perverted desires, you just have to be in touch with it

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

[sighs] the baby.

C'mon Now Van Halen Did All That For A Reason, Show Safety Is Mad Important

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
in the context of furry world wouldn't that be the subject of a "culture not a costume" poster

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

you broke my grill posted:

mary worth is boring
Oh yeah? Well here's some more!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 28-31, 2004)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

in the context of furry world wouldn't that be the subject of a "culture not a costume" poster
I'm too busy hating people who like Harry Potter enough in the late 2010s to reference it in this way.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Don't ever tell your boss you're looking for another job. Particularly not if he's as backstabby as this particular bag of douche.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Counterpoint, the boss already front-stabbed him when he told the guy he invited him to lunch to shitcan him before changing his mind.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Instead of firing you I'm going to have you babysit my niece." "Okay, but I'm not putting my life on hold for this. It's an alternative to unemployment." Seems pretty reasonable.

Given Mary Worth storylines I'm guessing they either fall in love or the niece blossoms once out from under her mother's constant control.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (November 3-5, 1924)

You gotta wonder about the boarder turnover, and how often the Major gets a fresh audience for these shenanigans.

Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga (November 4, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (January 16-18, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Airborne Fokker (December 30, 1914)

Little Lefty (June 13-14, 1939; 12th was another "technical difficulties" day)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 19, 2023

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Caption It!
"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ah, the days before consumer video cameras. Looking at consumer camcorders, this could be a 'Born 61 years too soon' comic.