Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just discovered there's just random piles of plastic scrap across the bridge. I spent a few days exploring that area and finally find something neat - there's outcrops of pure lapis lazuli. 4-5 gems an outcrop. Not sure what I'll use it for, but I'm sure I'll find something useful.

Speaking of - the gold the rats drop is an ingredient in orchid earrings which are good gifts for Mabel and Catori.

Ytlaya posted:

I think playing this game last night is the first time in many years that I've been "ambushed" by the rising sun. The hours just kept passing and suddenly I'm wondering why it's bright outside. At least it was a Friday night.

Sweet.

Ytlaya posted:

I just unlocked a different category of commissions with food items. It seems like this might not be too bad, since farming appears to yield large numbers of whatever crop you planted and uses up water/fertilizer pretty slowly (and certain crops can just be purchased - it's funny that just buying the item for a commission is still profitable).

Rubber seems like my biggest bottleneck for crafting things. There's just not a lot between the three locations I'm aware of that drop rubber scrap (to the left of the scrapyard, a ways to the west of my workshop, and occasionally in the scrapyard itself). I'm pretty sure it amounts to less than a full "stack" of scrap for the recycler a day.

I'm confused about the salvaging contract/commissions stuff. Rocky sent me a letter about something like this a while back, but I haven't unlocked whatever is supposed to be accessible from a book in the salvage corps building. I can't find any option other than just manual salvaging.

Rubber is a bottleneck for me too. I save it for high-value commissions and try not to use it otherwise. There's generally enough for everything I need to do, but not much besides.

The junk piles (not the rubber tires, but just the junk piles) have a low chance of dropping rubber. Until you buy the contract to have salvage delivered to you, you want to be collecting the salvage pile every single day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for how common plastic is, it really isn't used for much.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

You should be able to interact with his desk inside the salvage shop and sign a contract to get scrap delivered to your house after you've completed the quest "Keep on Rockin'", in which you build the salvage company an automated sorting device.

I haven't completed that quest, so I'm wondering what the heck Rocky mailed me about. I should see if there's a way to view old letters.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ytlaya posted:

I haven't completed that quest, so I'm wondering what the heck Rocky mailed me about. I should see if there's a way to view old letters.

There's a tab on the top of the mailbox screen to show read letters.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ytlaya posted:

When you do get around to ordering salvage, make sure to input your order, close out of the screen, open it back up again, and check to see everything went through. The screen's a bit glitchy, but whatever shows up when you open the screen is correct.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bought the Home Editing Kit, and I still have no idea how the gently caress to reasonably edit my house. Spent a very frustrating 15 minutes trying to figure out how to change my bed to another bed (never succeeded). I then tried to make my house bigger so that I could fit more in it. Never succeeded at this either - all I accomplished was creating random cubes next to my house.

It's a bad interface. Also never figured out how to simply add and remove existing furniture from the Editing Kit. Is there any place in the editing kit where you can just freely move around existing stuff? All I could find was various options to add things.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I agree that modifying the house is frustrating and bad. I tried adding a second floor and the rooms appeared but I had no way to get to them. I tried adding more space downstairs and just got 3 closet sized rooms next to each other. Finally I deleted everything and started over and now have a big upstairs room and a big downstairs room but the entrance to the staircase is slammed up against the wall so I have to jump to get onto it.

They should have just included a couple options you could pick from for expansion. The editor adds nothing and the output is poo poo.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
House/Room editing 101:

The house is split up in rooms. Each room has a maxmimum size. If you cant drag it more into one direction anymore you reached the maximum. Placing a room next to another will connect them via a doorway (you can pick your own door with the editing kit inside)
Placing a room above another will connect them via stairway if its big enough. You can have up to 4 floors stacked upon each other by default, up to a total of 7.

To actually edit a room you need to click it and then you get options for moving/changing size etc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really wish you could put in external staircases for attic warehouses.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i really wish you could put in external staircases for attic warehouses.

You can with the right objects outside.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can build a sort of staircase by free placing canopys etc.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wish there were podiums you could build to place *your own* artifact collection on. All the furniture you get is not very good for that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Megazver posted:

I wish there were podiums you could build to place *your own* artifact collection on. All the furniture you get is not very good for that.

I've found the edge of my roof a great spot to showoff artifacts. Got a line of various ozdak statues above the door.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Megazver posted:

Gotta love the bookshelves you can't put your books in!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Khanstant posted:

Gotta love the bookshelves you can't put your books in!

Those are rockshelves.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
As somebody who's currently in the process of trying to build a factory and my own personal wizard tower, the home editing interface sucks loving poo poo, particularly indoors. Also drat I wish there was some kind of spiral staircase so you could save a bit on some room, all the staircase options you're provided are MASSIVE to the point the point I ended up just creating an entire side rise to my tower that just holds the stairs going up and down.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sydin posted:

As somebody who's currently in the process of trying to build a factory and my own personal wizard tower, the home editing interface sucks loving poo poo, particularly indoors. Also drat I wish there was some kind of spiral staircase so you could save a bit on some room, all the staircase options you're provided are MASSIVE to the point the point I ended up just creating an entire side rise to my tower that just holds the stairs going up and down.

My favorite is the one staircase type that takes up 80% of the room size, its so EXTRA. I don't know why they did this and why there isnt a ladder for example if you want to save space.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Sydin posted:

Outdoor stairs like what a good chunk of the buildings in town have would be nice too so you can do roof/deck builds without having to build one z level above what you want to build on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

To actually edit a room you need to click it and then you get options for moving/changing size etc.

I think part of my issue might be that I'm playing with controller. How do you "click the room" of your starting one-room house? I just want to make it bigger to start with. Options also seem to change from pressing RB/LB.

As another poster mentioned, I wish you could straight-up buy "templates" and then build off of those.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Editing your house is already kind of clunky and it's worse with a controller.

So when it comes time to edit I always switch to a mouse and even then it it's not great.

Is there anyway to put small objects on things like tables? It feels weird having things like desk lamps and trophies on the ground.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ytlaya posted:

As another poster mentioned, I wish you could straight-up buy "templates" and then build off of those.

I'm pretty sure the template houses are in the "showroom" tab. There are about a dozen prebuilt homes of various sizes. You also don't need all the furniture they recommend to acrually build them.

I'm using the "Builder's Haven" template although moving the house around to place it ended up loving with the layout of the inside rooms for some reason.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
When I finally got around to expanding my house and giving it a second story it made two additional dinky ground floor rooms almost entirely occupied by individual staircases :shepface:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

I'm pretty sure the template houses are in the "showroom" tab. There are about a dozen prebuilt homes of various sizes. You also don't need all the furniture they recommend to acrually build them.

I'm using the "Builder's Haven" template although moving the house around to place it ended up loving with the layout of the inside rooms for some reason.

Whoa! Thanks, that's great!

edit: I saw that manual in the shop, but didn't know what it was

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Speaking of housing, I want to give one major compliment to the My Time games:

They are some of the few games that understand people can actually build poo poo even after an apocalypse.
Like look at the Bethesda Fallout games, they all take place about 200 years after the bombs fell, but people are still living in bombed out ruins, hell they haven't even cleared out the wacky skeletons out of the bathtubs.

And when you do build houses they are all slapped together out of metal siding or some such poo poo.

I am so sick and tired of post apocalyptic games all having housing made out of random bits of metal and tarps.
Where the gently caress are people getting all these tarps from!?!

But Sandrock does it wonderfully, it's built on top of a metropolis that got hit so hard it was literally buried and yet it's a functional good looking town.
It shows people excavating ruins and building fully functional machinery out of the scrap and tech they find.

Honestly, this is one of the big reasons the My Time games are some or my favourite games in the post apocalyptic genre.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Whoa! Thanks, that's great!

edit: I saw that manual in the shop, but didn't know what it was

I'm not sure what the manual does since I never bought it. The show room tab is the bottom right one where all the other tabs are for building or placing things.

Sadly I think "Builder's Haven" is the only one with a name. It also feels like you should be able to download other people's showroom creations to use in your game but I'm not sure if that is a thing.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Spoiler for people who have not yet resolved the conspiracy but I find the writing hilarious and occasionally super subtle. This struck me after I got through that and repaired the statue:

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down

Letting the days go by, water flowing underground

Into the blue again, after the money's gone

Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wish I could build a handrail on the elevator going down to the ruins, I've killed myself twice now by accidently right clicking and rolling right off the thing.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Also, some advice from someone who has been wrestling with the house building stuff:

Rule #1 is don't bother doing any furniture placement until you've got the rooms in the correct place. If you connect two rooms together, it will throw a door in between and send anything on the wall into the mail, and if you place a room on top of another it will build a staircase which throws any furniture in the way straight into the mail as well, so every time you make little adjustments to room size or room placement you end up having to redo all of the interiors again. You'll save a lot of frustration by building all of your rooms first before getting into serious interior decoration. Though you can just build your level 1 and 2 rooms and then decorate level 1 rooms once you're reasonably sure all future rooms will be on level 3.

Rule #2 is, as others have mentioned, stairs just suck. They're all big and huge, the 'corner staircases' taken nearly all of the largest sized room to place, and you can't place corner stairs on top of each other to do a spiral staircase, it literally blocks anything from being placed on top of it. I make a 6x12 room and use "manufactured" staircases going back and forth to create a staircase hallway for multiple floors, it's the least obstrusive.

Rule #3 is to butter up the townsfolk, because on your birthday they'll gift you stuff I have no idea how to get otherwise.

Here's where I am so far. I've finished the exterior, will likely have some more outdoor furniture to place, and now I'm working on the interiors. Much of the design is stolen from a "Sandrock house contest winner" design I found on-line.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat, that's fancy. I also didn't realize your area could get so big. How much do the last area expansions cost? I'm currently up to 10k, which I could afford but I'm waiting to reach 20k first so I have plenty left over.

BTW what are people naming their workshops? Mine is "Dustworks," which I thought was pretty good since I'm normally terrible at naming things.

Edit: I feel like it's gotta feel bad to be Mi-an when the protagonist has built up this massive complex like in your screenshot. "What's wrong with me? Am I just incompetent or lazy? :("

"Mi-an, I have taken pity on you. You can rent out 1/10 of my industrial complex."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 20, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

drat, that's fancy. I also didn't realize your area could get so big. How much do the last area expansions cost? I'm currently up to 10k, which I could afford but I'm waiting to reach 20k first so I have plenty left over.

BTW what are people naming their workshops? Mine is "Dustworks," which I thought was pretty good since I'm normally terrible at naming things.

You will eventually meet someone that can give you a land buying discount when you befriend them. Even with the discount the lvl 10 upgrade will cost me 262,500 gols.

My workshop is named what I always name my bases in games, The Whorephanage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How much effort/planning do you need to put into befriending people?

I've been kinda lazy so far. I choose commissions for the people I like, and I've started sparring with them sometimes since that gives 5 and is fast. I've also been doing wishes since they started popping up. I've only gifted a couple small things, since I don't feel comfortable giving away a bunch of stuff yet. I've just recently had a couple people reach Buddy level.

Is it the sort of thing where you can't reasonably get a high relationship unless you heavily gift to someone? Or will it naturally happen with some characters as long as I go out of my way to choose their commissions and do their wishes?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I got Portia at launch. Is there any tricks I should know? I wanted it to be more like Harvest Moon, then Rune Factory 5 came out.

I can always give it another try.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Ytlaya posted:

I've been kinda lazy so far. I choose commissions for the people I like, and I've started sparring with them sometimes since that gives 5 and is fast. I've also been doing wishes since they started popping up. I've only gifted a couple small things, since I don't feel comfortable giving away a bunch of stuff yet. I've just recently had a couple people reach Buddy level.

Is it the sort of thing where you can't reasonably get a high relationship unless you heavily gift to someone? Or will it naturally happen with some characters as long as I go out of my way to choose their commissions and do their wishes?

Some people have pretty easy "liked" gifts that can rack up easy relationship points. Elsie loves shiny scorpions, MI-An really likes chromium steel bars, Venti likes scrap, etc. There's also a few really easy 'neutral' gifts that give a small but consistent bonus-stone troughs for example give +2 to most people. Doing play dates is also pretty easy, Chuck those trash gifts their way, grill them by the oasis then just feed them at the blue moon.

When you have enough space to put down a banquet table you can host parties that can give 12-25 points to like ten people at a time. Throwing 2000 gols in the donation box also gives a nice bump to the churchy people.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Treecko posted:

I got Portia at launch. Is there any tricks I should know? I wanted it to be more like Harvest Moon, then Rune Factory 5 came out.

I can always give it another try.

I'd really recommend giving Sandrock the try, it's just better all around and does the stuff Portia was trying to do better.

I guess it depends on what you mean by like Harvest Moon. The social loops are similar with more ways to bump it up than in most HM games I've played. For the other half, HM to me is generally about maximizing profit and crop yield from limited space, resources, and time. Sandrock is not really about selling anything for profit, and finding good ways to have the resources handy in abundance to make things on demand or through inventory. You're less pressured on time and you can't miss out or lose anything through taking too long or not planning ahead properly like in HM games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Gonna be honest I don't bother with gifts at all and I'm still at least at four relationship points with every resident from the relationship points you get from key main story quests, commissions, and bonus points you get from people in the social network of somebody you improve relationship with. :shrug:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ytlaya posted:

Edit: I feel like it's gotta feel bad to be Mi-an when the protagonist has built up this massive complex like in your screenshot. "What's wrong with me? Am I just incompetent or lazy? :("

"Mi-an, I have taken pity on you. You can rent out 1/10 of my industrial complex."

Mi-An choosing to not wisely invest her money back into her operation is her own drat fault. No pity for the competition.

and as for Yan stealing most of her money, well, maybe she should have tried being a violent force of nature so Yan was too scared to steal that much from her.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I jumped from acquaintance to full blown lover with Heidi bizarrely fast, not sure what I did exactly. Easy to build it up from commissions of course but I think reverse confessions give you a head start.

Some of these townspeople are extremely thirsty and I'm not talking about the water shortage.

I wonder if the 'couples lunch' Owen hosts for you and MI-An still triggers if you were currently in a relationship with him lol.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

for how common plastic is, it really isn't used for much.

it's got a steady demand, in my experience; Qi is looking for plastic shells basically every couple of days in my playthrough, so I'm often needing to top up my plastic supplies with a quick trip to the salvage co.

BTW, when the game "unlocks" new types of salvage, save for some of the very end-game stuff like nanowaste or titanium scrap, those items will start appearing in the salvage company's yard. Along the edge of the fencing that's on your right as you enter, you'll find a few instances of rubber scrap fairly early; that edge is where some of the midgame scrap like Advanced Mechanical Scrap and Fiber Scrap will start popping up once you've progressed.

Ytlaya posted:

It does depend a little on the character, but for several, I've gotten to max relationship without ever handing them a single gift. Between relationship bumps from commissions, the bonuses for friend networks (especially if you grab the relevant perk), side quests, and the various "get a boost with everyone" events that come up when you achieve story goals like repairing the water tower or whatever, it's honestly hard to not progress.

In some instances this is sort of a pain, because you can tick over into a new relationship status with like four NPCs on the same day and thus wake up to four+ new side quests, but hey, it's content

Heidi, for instance, is ridiculously easy to become friends with because you get points with her for all the story missions involving building stuff she designed, plus the points you get with her by making friends with Vivi (and honestly why would you not make friends with Vivi) or Hugo or Jasmine or Amirah or Pablo (Heidi has a big relationship tree!), plus the points for dropping off some steel ingots or hardwood planks or whatever because you have an extra commission spot to fill and you're swimming in that stuff anyways, plus the points for holidays, plus occasionally, y'know, talking to her.

Oh, before I forget, one other way to get a very generous relationship boost with the entire town is to choose a particularly generous gift for the Day of the Bright Sun when it comes around; IIRC I decided to gift a leftover Conch Shell Goddess relic I had lying around and the relationship notifications scrolled off the screen, I think like three different villagers bumped themselves up to Good Friend that day

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

You don't have to even try that hard unless you're trying to butter a specific person up, just due to events, commissions, one off conversations and friend groups you can get to max relationship benefit without any real effort. By end of year one you should have them all pretty high

I'm getting to the point I'm ready for it to end though - no trouble fulfilling anything etc. think I'm pretty close. Definitely enjoyed it

Sloober fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I thought I wasn't gonna be friends with most of the town since talking gives such a small bonus and I can't be asked to gift most people, but boy it rolls in no matter what.