Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Man I sure do fuckin' love lovely manufactured conflict brought about when Rudy The Oblivious talks about literally anything else than the proposal she's expecting and I'm gonna guess has not talked to him about wanting to get married at all at any point.

Wait, no, the opposite, I want a time machine to find the person responsible for the concept to beat them with a tire iron

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drakyn posted:

What I think about sometimes when Kevin and Kell gets like this is Sherman's Lagoon, which is also a strip about talking animals constantly eating each other - hell, the titular character is a great white shark that's basically a milder-mannered Homer Simpson, appetite included - and it has never once ever had these sorts of issues entirely because of one thing: the strip has zero interest in establishing the characters as moral paragons. Every single member of the cast is ultimately some kind of selfish or deficient jerk to one degree or another, because those elements lend themselves easily to comedy, and that also means you don't have this insane omnipresent tension where characters are killing and eating people while simultaneously being portrayed as the best people ever whose suffering is totally unwarranted and unjust and whose triumphs are righteous and deserved.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Drakyn posted:

What I think about sometimes when Kevin and Kell gets like this is Sherman's Lagoon, which is also a strip about talking animals constantly eating each other - hell, the titular character is a great white shark that's basically a milder-mannered Homer Simpson, appetite included - and it has never once ever had these sorts of issues entirely because of one thing: the strip has zero interest in establishing the characters as moral paragons. Every single member of the cast is ultimately some kind of selfish or deficient jerk to one degree or another, because those elements lend themselves easily to comedy, and that also means you don't have this insane omnipresent tension where characters are killing and eating people while simultaneously being portrayed as the best people ever whose suffering is totally unwarranted and unjust and whose triumphs are righteous and deserved.

Also, very importantly, it hasn't had Serious Storylines that want you to take the world seriously. It's a gag strip and it stayed a gag strip. If Kevin and Kell had stuck to gags or humorous wacky storylines like "what if: caveanimal times" it wouldn't have this issue either.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Bruceski posted:

"Instead of firing you I'm going to have you babysit my niece." "Okay, but I'm not putting my life on hold for this. It's an alternative to unemployment." Seems pretty reasonable.

Oh, absolutely look for that new job. Just don't tell the boss you're doing so. You don't want him pushing you out before you're ready. I'm sure there's some other news station that would love to poach that guy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Oh thank God! The story continues on Monday! I thought this ongoing narrative was just going to be forget a story was happening!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

Oh no, I've seen enough Gordon Ramsey to know that someone's going to do a poo poo on the floor to spice things up! :ohdear:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 16, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Zippy The Pinhead

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

This new Nancy spinoff strip is on fire.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hostile V posted:

The Security State As A Good Thing

For as much as Holbrook loves to poo poo on her, I appreciate how Angelique is honest with being a terrible person. The Good Guys are self-righteous hypocrites who pretend they don't murder on the reg, but at least Angelique knows she's planning a bunch of murders here.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Just wanted to say thanks for posting Wallace ITT. Really helps balance out all the lovely strips with something genuinely good and funny. :)

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Man I sure do fuckin' love lovely manufactured conflict brought about when Rudy The Oblivious talks about literally anything else than the proposal she's expecting and I'm gonna guess has not talked to him about wanting to get married at all at any point.

Wait, no, the opposite, I want a time machine to find the person to find the person responsible for the concept to beat them with a tire iron

Rudy's plenty terrible in his own way, but poo poo like this also hammers home just how exhausting Fiona can be as a girlfriend. She keeps using her super hearing to spy on Rudy's physical state to tell whether he's hiding something or finding some other woman attractive. Rudy literally can't keep a single thought to himself and she gets pissed off when he does.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Stultus Maximus posted:

This was a few months after 9/11, when W Bush said that the most patriotic thing you could do was consume.

Yeah I'd hate the mall even more if that shitbucket had said that recently.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (June 13-14, 1939; 12th was another "technical difficulties" day)

None of these words are in the Bible The Communist Manifesto

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

riderchop posted:

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

the best five words to be posted in the thread, every week

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Those are some fine cats in Sunday Valiant.

Jucika "392 - Jucika And The Modern Samson"

Cruel, Jucika!

"393 - Jucika Arrives At Lunchtime" NSFW Nudity

"Női Napozó = Women Sunbathing"

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

you broke my grill posted:

mary worth is boring

Um excuse me

The man moved to a town?

And it has a variety of terrain?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Pluggers

Only seven pieces? Amateur.

Get Fuzzy 11/18/03

Brenda Starr 2/7-9/52

This is a couple of years before the Davy Crockett TV show sparked a fad for coonskin caps.

Smokey Stover 2/2/58

Everyday Movies 12/23/36

"The Smiths want us to come over and help trim their tree tomorrow night, but you know what that means -- sit around and talk, and have drinks."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/6-8/42

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 19, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 2/7-9/52

That kid absolutely will not want to go home with his parents, not least based on the family dynamic (if you can call it that) we've previously been given.

Curious if the young lady will be reunited with her actual family since it seems the abduction thing is a repeat with this woman.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/6-8/42
Guessing his face will melt? Then he'll die violently?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

FoxTrot

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

That kid absolutely will not want to go home with his parents, not least based on the family dynamic (if you can call it that) we've previously been given.

Curious if the young lady will be reunited with her actual family since it seems the abduction thing is a repeat with this woman.

I got the imression that the older girl was her actual daughter, who she didn't want to raise either. Hence her showing up with the boy being met with "What, again?"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Guessing his face will melt? Then he'll die violently?
Yeah, the strip set up that he needs to go back to the surgeon for maintenance for some reason.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
"The victim must have seen his assailant!"

Knox's second rule, addendum: Actually magic powers are fine, but only the detective is ever allowed to have them.

See also Scarlet O'Neil.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

I love the non-stop weird adventures of Into Ilves, including the little piggy that cries :OE all the way home.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zereth posted:

Also, very importantly, it hasn't had Serious Storylines that want you to take the world seriously. It's a gag strip and it stayed a gag strip. If Kevin and Kell had stuck to gags or humorous wacky storylines like "what if: caveanimal times" it wouldn't have this issue either.

Speaking of, is Sherman's Lagoon still going? I remember enjoying it when I was younger and that someone used to post it in these threads a while back

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

[
Flash Gordon

I like this. Instead of just summing up the story so far it's a nice little character moment.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts is leaving us hanging for today. :ohdear:

Sally Forth

Peanuts (November 21, 1976)

Crankshaft

Another one of my things wrapped up last Sunday, so more room for Li'l Abner. (February 18-20, 1935)

Thimble Theater (June 23, 1940)

Popeye

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

This is unreasonably funny out of context.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Um excuse me

The man moved to a town?

And it has a variety of terrain?
That's just how people talk to each other in real life.

Here is some more natural dialogue.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Can't wait for the backstory on this guy starring Tomothée Chalamet.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

And finally, they appear to be restarting Mara Leave: Keeper of Time

If anyone's looking for something to pick up for the thread, this one's available, and you only have to post it every 5 months!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

randy milholland vs. the line of action continues unabated

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

I’m starting to catch up with my translation queue (two pages a day of a text-dense comic is hard during midterms) so I’ll switch to a page a day for the next chapter I think.

As for the essay, it’s a bit of a shame that this feels a little vague and wooly in English, in part because modes of “good” essay writing are so different in the two languages (and in part because my experience translating long-form writing is mostly limited to brochures, technical manuals and the like). It probably doesn’t really need clarifying, but Uchida’s point here about unwed mothers is that the only two “choices” are “mother” and “unwed mother” – the “unwed mother” is defined by her unmarried status, therefore the “mother” is necessarily presumed to be wed, and thus “motherhood” is inexorably tied up with the concept of marriage and in consequence (traditionally, which is the milieu in which she is living in Japan in 1993) to subservience to men.

Bardiche Hotel

“Room 301 does not exist” may be my favorite thing in Bardiche Hotel so far.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Cannot Express How Little Of A poo poo I Care About This Baby. There Is Other poo poo That Could Be Going On. Edgar And Miranda. Carl And Leona. Angelique Is Back And A Problem. Nope. Low-Hanging Fruit. Baby Time Will Continue Until Morale Improves And Buddy, It Ain't Improving For Me.

Oof.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
lmao at the Phantom milking his incredibly lovely lie like a melodramatic ham. "I *WISH* I could stop being so awesome, sir!"

Glad to see Mara didn't give up. It looks great, it just needs to post.

another lmao at that Mary Worth strip. "WHAT!? The most common trial outcome occurred?!"

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Murdstone posted:

If anyone's looking for something to pick up for the thread, this one's available, and you only have to post it every 5 months!

Nice Dr Eggman cosplay. It looks cool though jokes aside haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Murdstone posted:

Wish they could have shown us all this backstory in the previous several months instead of loving off and relegating it to a paragraph in a splash page. Like, Flash Gordon reboot could get away with that because it was recapping an already vaguely familiar story. Even people who never read the strip or saw the movie likely have SOME idea of the story.

I want this to succeed, but the bar for that just got much harder to clear.