Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Nice comfy episode after the back to back to back of wonderful but high tension.

Always love the shots of low detail gremlin Frieren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
liked the image of Fern carrying Stark out with him floating.
nice little montage in the beginning. liked seeing oh there is healing magic afterall! rare that so far, all we seen is male cleric healers, where usually its the cute priestess as the healer.

near death Stark is great

"See you in a few centuries" is wild.

Loved Kraft's encounter. The idea he probably did save the world in his own jrpg series, probably multiple sequels of games at that. But its so long ago, no one remembers. Acts like he actually knew the goddess too. Probably felled some evil gods about to swallow the universe. What's a little demon king compared to that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kraft was an absolutely fantastic walk-on. The last episode was entirely about getting across the full scope of Frieren and her thousand years. The "fight", such as it was, was mostly a lens to put across once again how vast a span of time Frieren has lived through and how immense she's become actually after all this time and carrying the weight of so much history, and right after that we casually meet someone who is strongly implied to completely overshadow her with the vastness of his life.

The idea that whatever Kraft did would be ancient, forgotten history to Frieren is mind-boggling given the story so far has spent a lot of its time (even in this episode!) getting across how long a thousand years really is.

And the fact both of them kind of brush off what they've done as "unimportant" and maybe even mean it is incredible on a number of levels. This show is good.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Lt. Lizard posted:

I really liked the little detail of Fern helping to repair the fortification that got destroyed in her battle with Lugner. She is a good girl. :3:

Who can demolish a demon OR a Five Guys in nothing flat.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

"She helped kill the Demon King"
"Oh that's nice. What else?"

Kraft made his peace with the fact no remembers his jrpg adventure because it was the previous console generation.

Elves having to pay a terrible price for their longevity: Certification Paperwork, is hilarious. Fern and Freiren eating burgs the size of their heads is also good

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Just gonna go out on a limb and say Frieren should be just granted certification

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

And yeah, it would suck to live tens of thousands of years and maybe even since a time of myths where the literal Goddess was around and one day just tie from exposure because he didn't have any way to start a fire. What a lame death.

and then dealing with the "being remembered" aspect on top of it

show owns

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

everyones obsession with having the goddess (or a holy stand in for her) give them praise took me immediately back to when frieren woke up slightly early and ferns first impulse was "we have to praise her"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
the bit with certification and it always changing is great. dumb humans.
laughed when she showed her mage certification which is like some rock on a string and Fern is what is that

imagine Frieren having to renew her drivers license every 4-5 or so years still, she be like screw that and would be driving unlicensed for hundreds of years.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The five-second animation of them walking past some random guard who very slowly changed perspective as they passed him was a flex. As was Stark floating around in his freezing-to-death delusion. And of course when Kraft puts on a shirt.

There is a lot of money in this production.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Mordja posted:

Can I just say how good the music in this show is?

all last week i had that extremely brief bit of piano that plays when Flamme is telling Frieren about the flower spell stuck in my head, so the first half of 11 really worked me over. it's just very well done and atmospheric

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Paper Lion posted:

everyones obsession with having the goddess (or a holy stand in for her) give them praise took me immediately back to when frieren woke up slightly early and ferns first impulse was "we have to praise her"

I thought the word choice of "praise" was kind of odd, and I'm wondering if a better choice would have been "celebrate". Wanting to be praised feels childish, but wanting your good deeds to be celebrated? That's just pride. Although I suppose we are all children at the feed of the gods...

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I note that the Goddess has elf ears, and I do wonder if she was part of an elven religion inherited by the humans.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Talorat posted:

I thought the word choice of "praise" was kind of odd, and I'm wondering if a better choice would have been "celebrate". Wanting to be praised feels childish, but wanting your good deeds to be celebrated? That's just pride. Although I suppose we are all children at the feed of the gods...

That’s the thing though. Not particular about Fern. That was part comedy since it compared her to a dog.
But Kraft and Frieren to praise each other.
Like people don’t want to admit it, and want to put a strong front, but they like to be commended for working hard. And asking for just basic acknowledgment can be seen as conceited. But when everyone forgot about you and your deeds is just sand in history, you might wonder if that hard work was real or worth it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Identifying with Frieren this episode as any other: Praise is for normies, actions aren't for clout.

Justifying actions via the views of others limits the scope available to oneself to what can be observed and comprehended by them. What a dodgy approach to success that would be for someone with a hundred times their lifespan.

Just to say: Being praised afterwards isn't a reason to do anything to some folk, and that's fine.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 19, 2023

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

pretty cool show

the dub is a lot of fun

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Honestly love Stark's dub voice. His panicked whining is hilarious and his regular tone sounds like he's always expecting to be scolded.
Which is to be expected with Fern.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I imagine humans must appear to be these absolutely astounding firecrackers of frantic energy to elves: Individually flaring up brightly and out of existence in a flash, but collectively eating away at the shape of things around them and forming something new before an elf can even ascertain the entire picture.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
From Dekoboko Majo

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Mirage posted:

The five-second animation of them walking past some random guard who very slowly changed perspective as they passed him was a flex. As was Stark floating around in his freezing-to-death delusion. And of course when Kraft puts on a shirt.

Someone mentioned that the animators clearly have someone really good at animating people putting on coats and I now think of that every time a person in this show elaborately puts on or takes off any item of clothing.

Das Boo posted:

There's a horror story in there about robots assimilating the daily activities of the humans they eradicated without really understanding why they're doing them.

Roger Zelazny wrote a short story in 1966 called "For a Breath I Tarry" in which robots are engaged in rebuilding human society... except the humans are all dead due to nuclear war, so they're just building a bunch of empty cities that nobody will ever live in. (It's excellent. He wrote a lot of good robot stories, really.)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
idm spoilers if needed, but can anyone tell me if the show as it goes on leans more into shonen-y fights or more slice of life with magic stuff?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

It tends to alternate between arcs which it focus more on

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

VideoWitch posted:

It tends to alternate between arcs which it focus more on

probably the best answer i couldve gotten. cool, ty.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The manga tends to show the fights as like a two page tableau, and the animators seem to be having fun turning them into actual fights.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

Roger Zelazny wrote a short story in 1966 called "For a Breath I Tarry" in which robots are engaged in rebuilding human society... except the humans are all dead due to nuclear war, so they're just building a bunch of empty cities that nobody will ever live in. (It's excellent. He wrote a lot of good robot stories, really.)

The Freiren author himself has a post-apocalyptic robot manga. It almost feels like a practice run for Freiren... there's a lot of similar emotional beats.

https://mangadex.org/title/28b75755-00ba-4f2a-940f-dd13cff066e9/bocchi-hakase-to-robot-shoujo-no-zetsubou-teki-utopia

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

M_Gargantua posted:

The manga tends to show the fights as like a two page tableau, and the animators seem to be having fun turning them into actual fights.

Yeah, the contrast between the in-manga action scenes and the anime versions is wild. For anyone who hasn't read it, that ridiculously pretty wizard fight between lugner and fern took up all of two pages in the manga:

this is a really good adaptation, yall

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It's a small thing, but the action in this sequence generally line ups with Lugner's internal monologue a bit better than the anime. In the anime, Fern was zooming around, perfectly countering everything being thrown at her and carefully picking Lugner defenses apart. She just generally came across as a better mage, in all regards. By contrast, in the manga Fern stands her ground and just barely keeps Lugner on his back foot via a brutal frontal barrage. It generally fits the idea that she's only beating him thanks to her casting speed.

Doesn't really matter, just thought it was interesting how the anime took it a slightly different direction.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly my favorite example of "Fight in the Manga vs in the Anime" is Linie demonstrating her weapon changing ability, because this is the full extent of it in the manga

That's it, five panels, not even a full page

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Haystack posted:

It's a small thing, but the action in this sequence generally line ups with Lugner's internal monologue a bit better than the anime. In the anime, Fern was zooming around, perfectly countering everything being thrown at her and carefully picking Lugner defenses apart. She just generally came across as a better mage, in all regards. By contrast, in the manga Fern stands her ground and just barely keeps Lugner on his back foot via a brutal frontal barrage. It generally fits the idea that she's only beating him thanks to her casting speed.

Doesn't really matter, just thought it was interesting how the anime took it a slightly different direction.

I think the anime still works since she's intentionally making him underestimate her, so he was only thinking that he was better than her in every way and couldn't figure out why he wasn't winning until the end. I liked the juxtaposition of his thoughts compared to the actual fight, because it makes you wonder how what he's saying can be true when she's clearly winning handily.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Haystack posted:

I think they tried to cover this part with the bit where it shows alternating close ups of the characters' poker faces as they do basically a beam struggle offscreen

but yes it is funny that lugner is monologuing about how he's way better at magic while clearly getting loving wrecked. it can just be ascribed to arrogance in the context of the anime though

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It makes sense that he's just plain wrong though. We have the fact Fern hides her power levels, the evidence on screen and how the demons are arrogant while short-sighted. Furthermore, Frieren was absolutely confident Fern and Stark would win.

I think that if the two weren't so cautious (justifiably so since they wanted to prioritize the rescue) in the initial encounter, they probably would have outright won there and then.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Lugner's irony is that he despises prodigies, but he assigned it to the wrong person. Fern and Stark are outstanding prodigies whose skill are far beyond their years, while Freiren earned her full power through a thousand years of hard work, not being a prodigy.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Just a mere thousand years

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
https://twitter.com/Slowrider88/status/1710966855169421787

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Fern is Mom, tho?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Das Boo posted:

Fern is Mom, tho?

Moms Need Love Too

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ChronoReverse posted:

It makes sense that he's just plain wrong though. We have the fact Fern hides her power levels, the evidence on screen and how the demons are arrogant while short-sighted. Furthermore, Frieren was absolutely confident Fern and Stark would win.

I think that if the two weren't so cautious (justifiably so since they wanted to prioritize the rescue) in the initial encounter, they probably would have outright won there and then.

Yeah, seems likely that Fern and Stark were just better and Lugner was simply fooled just because he "had more mana".

I heard an interesting analysis that for demons hiding your power level is similar to how demons lie about empathy to trick humans. Since demons effectively communicate to each other through their levels of mana and mastery of spells, pretending to be weaker than you actually are is just as disarming as pretending to feel love like a human. I didn't think about it like that when watching the episode but it makes it feel better in hindsight.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah I think the main glow up for the anime has to be the fighting scenes or impressive use of magic scenes. The manga tends to go through those quickly and they aren't drawn with an amazing level of quality and detail or anything, so there's heaps of room for the anime to improve on them and they've done a good job of using that room.

According to the internet the anime will be 28 episodes too, which is much longer than I thought, so it's not a spoiler at all to say that we ought to be getting some more good fight animations and I think we'll be getting to a very fun arc with good fights and good magic near the end of the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/CatholicXenu/status/1726756053830836602?s=19