Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

no.... NO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

josh04 posted:

hot take, 100 episode sitcoms were an economic quirk of the us network television system and will likely never come back
they still exist though.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

and that's a good thing, sorry but 22+ episode seasons were too bloated
that's probably the better distinction, since you can get to 100 episodes if you just keep going, but 22+ episode seasons actually require you to be able to churn out episodes

seems like animation has finally taken over that niche, with the end of the big bang theory and modern family

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Sitcoms are good

depends on the sitcom

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Frasier was good

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Frasier was good

i'm writing a spec script for the new frasier reboot where frasier smokes weed

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my friend already ran a twitter account with this premise

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my friend already ran a twitter account with this premise

gently caress, i'm RUINED

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bYmaeklCjo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

indigi posted:

https://twitter.com/pinknishii/status/1725599748768616795

is this what the Scott Pilgrim show is, a cheaply animated PG-13 horny comedy? could be a personal problem, but a five second static shot of two lower jaws just doesn't do it for me

pretty sure this is in the comic just not the movie

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
my understanding of the characters based on the 6 or so seasons of Frasier i've seen is that:
Frasier is the type of uncool where he really wants to smoke weed and brag about it but probably wouldn't inhale
Niles is the type of uncool where he would insist on not smoking weed but would absolutely be able to be pressured into doing it with the lightest of pushes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Al! posted:

pretty sure this is in the comic just not the movie

I’m talking about the animation

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm kind of surprised there wasn't an episode where Niles accidentally eats a bunch of weed brownies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

also if anyone else here is both a Frasier head and a Horror head you should check out the movie The Perfect Host, to be honest it's kinda mid but it's really fun to see Niles as a horror villain

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People who make tv shows these days are such massive babies. Do you know why the original Twilight Zone was so amazing? Volume! The first season had 36 goddamn episodes, some of which are absolute classics! It ran from the beginning of October to the beginning of July, almost every single week, no exceptions for holidays or anything. They had an episode run on Christmas that was not a Christmas episode! There was a new episode on New Year's Day! And after the last episode of Season One aired on July 1, 1960, do you know when the premiere of Season Two was? September 30, 1960. No three year gap or other bullshit like that. The Twilight Zone was a show made by human beings. If human beings could do it then, then human beings could do it now!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

indigi posted:

I’m talking about the animation

i think it looks a little better than the comic tbh

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm kind of surprised there wasn't an episode where Niles accidentally eats a bunch of weed brownies

the clip is from an episode where he thinks he ate a weed brownie but he just had a regular one, meanwhile Marty (the retired cop) actually ate the weed brownie.

it's one of my favorite episodes of Frasier.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

People who make tv shows these days are such massive babies. Do you know why the original Twilight Zone was so amazing? Volume! The first season had 36 goddamn episodes, some of which are absolute classics! It ran from the beginning of October to the beginning of July, almost every single week, no exceptions for holidays or anything. They had an episode run on Christmas that was not a Christmas episode! There was a new episode on New Year's Day! And after the last episode of Season One aired on July 1, 1960, do you know when the premiere of Season Two was? September 30, 1960. No three year gap or other bullshit like that. The Twilight Zone was a show made by human beings. If human beings could do it then, then human beings could do it now!

a lot of those episodes really suck tho

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

watched all of frisky dingo again over the last week and not only does it hold up well them constantly saying gently caress you to the product placement they were forced to put in is incredible

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

a lot of those episodes really suck tho

all shows have episodes that really suck, including 6 episode series. more episodes means more plate appearances

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ArmedZombie posted:

depends on the sitcom

it brings me no pleasure to report that Ted Lasso was, technically, a sitcom

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

all shows have episodes that really suck, including 6 episode series. more episodes means more plate appearances

I firmly disagree, the more episodes in a season, the higher likelihood that most of them are gonna be half-baked ideas

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

does ted lasso have blackface in it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I firmly disagree, the more episodes in a season, the higher likelihood that most of them are gonna be half-baked ideas

it is actually exactly like baseball in that better writers will have higher batting averages on good eps, and those are the ones you want to have the most at-bats and thereby the most chances to get on base and/or drive in runs

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i don't think it is like Baseball, because baseball is a sport and does not involve writing

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nonsense posted:

It's English football, not Dutch.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nonsense posted:

it is not the kind of bad where it'd have blackface in it, it's the kind of bad where the characters may go out of their way to tell the audience they think blackface is bad, perhaps bringing it up non-organically to do so

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also if anyone else here is both a Frasier head and a Horror head you should check out the movie The Perfect Host, to be honest it's kinda mid but it's really fun to see Niles as a horror villain

the first 2/3rds of that movie are just stellar, kinda loses its momentum and falls apart near the end but still totally worth a watch

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

absolutely but I'd rather see home runs and strikeouts than a bunch of walks and singles, especially when it comes to an anthology series

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i'm not using the baseball analogy because I think it's dumb. I think you are more likely to see Great episodes of TV coming from a good showrunner in charge of making 10 episodes of a show than you are from a good showrunner in charge of making 22 episodes of a show. if you disagree, ok, that's fine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I think both types of TV are good and should exist

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the clip is from an episode where he thinks he ate a weed brownie but he just had a regular one, meanwhile Marty (the retired cop) actually ate the weed brownie.

it's one of my favorite episodes of Frasier.

i forgot about that one, poo poo. time to rewatch all of Frasier again.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i forgot about that one, poo poo. time to rewatch all of Frasier again.

baby, i hear the blues a-calling...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

anyway tv shows should have lovely episodes. that's what makes X-Files and Star Trek fun, you'll have a great episode where you're like "holy poo poo this is amazing" immediately followed by the worst piece of poo poo you've ever seen

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

anyway tv shows should have lovely episodes. that's what makes X-Files and Star Trek fun, you'll have a great episode where you're like "holy poo poo this is amazing" immediately followed by the worst piece of poo poo you've ever seen

And somehow both will have been written by William Gibson

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

I think both types of TV are good and should exist

one is dieing :(

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

just give me the slop

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Popy posted:

just give me the slop

Goonfeed

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
[Pop Culture]

Popy posted:

just give me the slop

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

indigi posted:

https://twitter.com/pinknishii/status/1725599748768616795

is this what the Scott Pilgrim show is, a cheaply animated PG-13 horny comedy? could be a personal problem, but a five second static shot of two lower jaws just doesn't do it for me

Welcome to webcomics from the 2000’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I started watching Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix and it's fuckin weird, i guess I was expecting a much less straightforward story based on the description of the series Netflix gave. If you liked "Under The Silver Lake" I'd say give it a try because it scratches a very similar itch.