Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really like the random +3 or whatever just because someone walked by your house and liked your artifact or decorations. I think most of these games turn it way too much into a naked chore of talk to person, give gift, move along citizen. It's great getting gains through normal play is sufficient, plus a ton of options to increase it further.

A 100% friendship and completion Speedrun of this would be entertaining to follow depending on the real-time or in-game clock bc IIRC activities like sparring and cards freeze time so if your were really some type of way you could max out those games with each person each day on top of gifts, and probably squeezing in hangouts during normal chores?

The kind of thing I want to skim a video through rather than do myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Pulsarcat posted:

They are some of the few games that understand people can actually build poo poo even after an apocalypse.
Like look at the Bethesda Fallout games, they all take place about 200 years after the bombs fell, but people are still living in bombed out ruins, hell they haven't even cleared out the wacky skeletons out of the bathtubs.

Not to mention that the houses people live in just have paper and other trash practically glued to the floor, like in Goodsprings

Ytlaya posted:

BTW what are people naming their workshops? Mine is "Dustworks," which I thought was pretty good since I'm normally terrible at naming things.

I went with Handrock because I blanked on other ideas.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I went with Build-o-rama because I figure since the Builder is universally awesome at everything they do, it only felt fair to make them suck at something like marketing

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ytlaya posted:

BTW what are people naming their workshops? Mine is "Dustworks," which I thought was pretty good since I'm normally terrible at naming things.

I like that one.

I go with a different name every time I play. This time I named it Ataraxia Advent. Ataraxia is a Greek philosophical term for freedom from distress and worry. I wanted something that played off the game's use of the Greek word "telesis."

FireWorksWell posted:

Not to mention that the houses people live in just have paper and other trash practically glued to the floor, like in Goodsprings

I went with Handrock because I blanked on other ideas.

When you think about it, a pickaxe is just a fancy handrock for hitting other rocks with :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So this bridge donation appears to let me donate with no limit.

How much do the rewards from this scale? I don't want to toss 10k at it and get little in return.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ytlaya posted:

How much do the rewards from this scale? I don't want to toss 10k at it and get little in return.

I remember it stopping donations past 100% :shrug:

Although thinking about it I may have intentionally limited donations to get exactly 100%, which then stopped further donations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Ytlaya posted:

All of my places are called "Doomhole", its my own stupid tradition since Stardew.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

So, I don't know what I and/or the game did wrong, but for some reason the ants that spawn near your house have started either spawning or wandering in past my fence. They're early-game enemies so it's not difficult to kill them, but I'd kind of prefer my video game house to not have a drat ant infestation!

Also, I just got to the arrival of Bronco the Kid (the real one), and while the game told me not to expect too much, I'm still a little bit in awe of the fact that he isn't any better than the literal child pretending to be him.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I just learned that when you get married it's the equivalent of dead branching every other relationship you had at that point, which really sucks since it practically resets the friendship progression.

I bet the wedding ceremony would be a real hoot if you had been dating the whole town. Just imagine all the butthurt comments lol.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

I'm not sure what the manual does since I never bought it. The show room tab is the bottom right one where all the other tabs are for building or placing things.

Apparently the Manual just shows you large pictures of all the different house templates and their associate costs and furniture lists.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Khanstant posted:

I'd really recommend giving Sandrock the try, it's just better all around and does the stuff Portia was trying to do better.

I guess it depends on what you mean by like Harvest Moon. The social loops are similar with more ways to bump it up than in most HM games I've played. For the other half, HM to me is generally about maximizing profit and crop yield from limited space, resources, and time. Sandrock is not really about selling anything for profit, and finding good ways to have the resources handy in abundance to make things on demand or through inventory. You're less pressured on time and you can't miss out or lose anything through taking too long or not planning ahead properly like in HM games.

I'll give it a shot.

I liked Portia.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I think it was just because it came out around the same time as Olive Town.

I loved the mining parts

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ytlaya posted:

My builder is named Sparrow and the workshop is Passerine's

Ytlaya posted:

Donating over 100% doesn't give you any extra social bonuses (gifts, reputation)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Uhh..two NPCs both just scheduled something for 9:00am tomorrow (picnic and Justice's ceremony).

Am I gonna need to reload a save and postpone finishing the first part of Justice's quest?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's roughly 9. you don't have to be there right on the dot. also, if the quests are actually going to expire it says as much on the description. usually, that means if you don't get there within a few hours of the stated time it rolls over to the next day.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I named my workshop in Portia and Sandrock 'KRAFTHAUS'. First thing that came to mind, I dunno.

As for town rep, yeah you can near max out with a lot of the NPCs just through commissions, side-missions and story stuff, but an easy universal gift almost everyone likes is Opals, you get a +8 for most people. Even the cats like them! (But not the dog, lol.) You can get buckets of them by refining Marble in the Ore Refinery. Later, when you get to Spinels they're also accepted by almost anyone, so you can just alternate them on days and quickly max out everyone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Suddenly getting a ton of quests now that all sorts of people are reaching the "Buddy" threshold.

I'm 99% sure that the anonymous person sending me letters is Unsuur. He is very precious.

Edit: Also, I see what people were saying about Recyclers now. The amount of stuff I can salvage increased drastically after the last major story beat, now that these sleeping pods are appearing outside the salvage yard and a bus appears inside it.

Bronze is actually a bit of an issue now, since I get plenty of copper from scrap, but bronze requires I farm in the ruins.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's roughly 9. you don't have to be there right on the dot. also, if the quests are actually going to expire it says as much on the description. usually, that means if you don't get there within a few hours of the stated time it rolls over to the next day.

Yep, fortunately the ceremony started before 9 (but the picnic didn't start until exactly 9).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 20, 2023

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The most time-sensitive meeting I've seen is Venti's quests where she asks you to meet her at 23:00, and if you arrive after 24:00 they don't trigger

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
There’s one quest that has a time limit but doesn’t tell you: A Grand Idea will automatically fail the day after you complete renovations for the train station. It’s especially annoying because it requires 30 paper to create the items needed, which takes a while on the drying rack.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i failed that one too. i don't usually need more than one drying rack. jerky is a waste of meat, you can't buy fish, and there's not much use for paper.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Did you do that after the full launch, or in the testing period? I started a new game after the November 2 launch and I could have sworn they shift that mission to start earlier

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chami posted:

There’s one quest that has a time limit but doesn’t tell you: A Grand Idea will automatically fail the day after you complete renovations for the train station. It’s especially annoying because it requires 30 paper to create the items needed, which takes a while on the drying rack.

I had two Racks and 20+ paper in reserves when that happened, because I'm paranoid.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

JavaJesus posted:

So, I don't know what I and/or the game did wrong, but for some reason the ants that spawn near your house have started either spawning or wandering in past my fence. They're early-game enemies so it's not difficult to kill them, but I'd kind of prefer my video game house to not have a drat ant infestation!

Restart the game. NPC pathing apparently gets borked over time, and a quick restart fixes that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, the longer you leave the game running the more npcs teleport around.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

Did you do that after the full launch, or in the testing period? I started a new game after the November 2 launch and I could have sworn they shift that mission to start earlier

After launch. You do get the mission earlier, but there’s no indication it’s an auto-fail until you fail it. Given the nature of the request and event it seems like you have until a person leaves Sandrock to get it done, but you actually only have until the day before they arrive.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ytlaya posted:

Bronze is actually a bit of an issue now, since I get plenty of copper from scrap, but bronze requires I farm in the ruins.

Bronze is the early-to-mid game bottleneck resource. It's not a bad idea to spend a day or two just hitting up the ruins for all the ore you can grab and then running 2-3 furnaces constantly churning out bars until you've got a stockpile of ~150 or so.

Also in a pinch if you're short just a handful of bronze bars for something, Hugo sells some at his shop.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

Bronze is the early-to-mid game bottleneck resource. It's not a bad idea to spend a day or two just hitting up the ruins for all the ore you can grab and then running 2-3 furnaces constantly churning out bars until you've got a stockpile of ~150 or so.

Also in a pinch if you're short just a handful of bronze bars for something, Hugo sells some at his shop.

Yeah, I've been making ruins trips occasionally, though only using what stamina I have remaining after salvaging (which doesn't leave nearly enough to get 150 bronze bars worth in a couple trips). It's probably a good idea to set aside a couple full days of stamina for it.

My furnaces are actually frequently inactive now, since I mostly only use them for Bronze (and occasionally marble bricks). I have plenty of everything else.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I've been making ruins trips occasionally, though only using what stamina I have remaining after salvaging (which doesn't leave nearly enough to get 150 bronze bars worth in a couple trips). It's probably a good idea to set aside a couple full days of stamina for it.

My furnaces are actually frequently inactive now, since I mostly only use them for Bronze (and occasionally marble bricks). I have plenty of everything else.

Reminder to eat two meals a day at the Blue Moon. You can get 90ish stamina for very cheap (special + cheap menu items), or splurge a little and get 200ish stamina for 250ish. And you can do that twice (I usually eat them back to back after exhausting my initial stamina), so you're working with an extra 200-400 stamina a day, and that much stamina will more than pay off in materials for a commission to make back the money you spent on food, plus you get rep and workshop points.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
my Portia husband just divorced me :'(

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

someone built a fuckin castle
https://discord.com/channels/355645503897075713/1168342201969954826/1176193313901121698

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1168342201969954826/1176193291746816010/MTAS_Builder_Castle.mp4

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, i failed that one too. i don't usually need more than one drying rack. jerky is a waste of meat, you can't buy fish, and there's not much use for paper.

I compulsively kept both of mine constantly running like everything else and ended up with so much drat jerky and paper lol.

Fish effort to output ratio is whack. Sand fishing requires a crafted item, bait, and time. Meat even before getting option to ship it in, is trivial to get. You can gather heaps of meat just passively whacking cows and chickens when walking around doing other chores and gathering resources.

Fish recipes should either be more powerful or just give us a decent amount of fish meat per catch.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I compulsively kept both of mine constantly running like everything else and ended up with so much drat jerky and paper lol.

Fish effort to output ratio is whack. Sand fishing requires a crafted item, bait, and time. Meat even before getting option to ship it in, is trivial to get. You can gather heaps of meat just passively whacking cows and chickens when walking around doing other chores and gathering resources.

Fish recipes should either be more powerful or just give us a decent amount of fish meat per catch.

Fish gets easy to get once you have access to the tier 2 or tier 3 trap - the basic one is kind of poo poo. Make sure to upgrade it to purple, and now you have a decent radius. Throw out 3-4 pieces of bait relatively far apart - each piece of bait thrown will spawn in more fish. Then once the fish cluster up a bit, toss the trap to catch 'em.

I do wish they had given some way to order logging/gathering (herbs and such)/fishing products, because that would have been nice.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

It would be really nice if we could order marble, granite, limestone, and slate.

Especially granite since its the best way to get agate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Is it bad if the thing I'm most impressed about is the nice looking outside stairs? Gotta figure out how to replicate that...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
materials you have to collect manually all seem to run out quickly. the ore refinery is always hungry.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Tired Moritz posted:

my Portia husband just divorced me :'(

Wut? They can do that?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Fish gets easy to get once you have access to the tier 2 or tier 3 trap - the basic one is kind of poo poo. Make sure to upgrade it to purple, and now you have a decent radius. Throw out 3-4 pieces of bait relatively far apart - each piece of bait thrown will spawn in more fish. Then once the fish cluster up a bit, toss the trap to catch 'em.

I do wish they had given some way to order logging/gathering (herbs and such)/fishing products, because that would have been nice.

It's actually pretty funny how little wood you need in this vs Portia, The only time I felt remotely strained on it was immediately starting out when I needed some chests, definitely would be nice to get gathering / animal products or something though. Definitely not a big fan of how fishing works in this tbh.

Also the fact that seasonings are such limited quantity

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sloober posted:

It's actually pretty funny how little wood you need in this vs Portia, The only time I felt remotely strained on it was immediately starting out when I needed some chests, definitely would be nice to get gathering / animal products or something though. Definitely not a big fan of how fishing works in this tbh.

Also the fact that seasonings are such limited quantity

The higher tier woods end up being in higher demand, although even then a quick circuit of the deadwood stumps around your house or the Eufala usually keeps you in the black for 4-5 days even with side commissions. Goddamn are Heidi and Owen thirsty for petrified wood.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The first week I didn’t know about deadwood and boy does wood seem scarce when you’re hacking at weeds for 1 wood each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sydin posted:

Is it bad if the thing I'm most impressed about is the nice looking outside stairs? Gotta figure out how to replicate that...

They're manually placing each step using the square signs with snapping off. Some people use canopies instead to make ramps.