Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
wrap em in bubble wrap and tape the bubble wrap closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Please don't use a glass baking tray, if anything use a metal one with some magnets under each base.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

My Spirit Otter posted:

wrap em in bubble wrap and tape the bubble wrap closed

Unfortunately I think that would result in a lot of them getting squashed in the suitcase!

quote:

Please don't use a glass baking tray, if anything use a metal one with some magnets under each base.

That was my first instinct as well, but I can't find a metal baking tray with a solid lid small enough. Surely a sturdy glass baking tray well packed in among clothes would be fine? I've traveled with bottles of alcohol in my suitcase numerous times without issue.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MeinPanzer posted:

Unfortunately I think that would result in a lot of them getting squashed in the suitcase!

That was my first instinct as well, but I can't find a metal baking tray with a solid lid small enough. Surely a sturdy glass baking tray well packed in among clothes would be fine? I've traveled with bottles of alcohol in my suitcase numerous times without issue.

Magnetise the bases, put them in a metal biscuit (cookie I guess) tin or similar. The kind of thing you get fancy biscuits in that often get repurposed to hold sewing supplies. The magnets stick them to the bottom of the tin, the lid protects them from being squashed. Or, to make them more convenient to remove, stick them to the inside of the lid and put the tin on as a lid if you see what I mean. Either way I'd still individually wrap the individual figures in bubble wrap and tape the bubble wrap as My Spirit Otter suggests, just in case they come loose en route and bash into each other inside the tin.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
bouncing off that, you could probably get two dollar store muffin trays and put little magnets on the base and have them be pretty safe

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Ominous Jazz posted:

It's pretty straight forward except I couldn't figure out how it wanted me to put the flaps for the tiefling's hood and I only spent fifteen bucks they're not gonna print at 300 dpi or double side it. I wanted to kitbash one of the human heads onto the tiefling body because it had a real witch hunter general kind of hat, so I soaked it in very hot water so I could bend the hair against the human body. I couldn't get the horns on right though, and a tielfing without horns is hardly a tiefling at all. So that is just a part in my brand new parts pile! Which I have now.

They give these neat transparent effects for the spells, but I don't really know how I'm supposed to paint these. How am I supposed to prime them and have them still be transparent?

I tried some speed painter paint and uh

holy moly i'm happy with the results. I wanted to give him nice hair because he's an evil warlock so that you know that he could have spent his life being very good looking but gave it up for Unnatural Power. I wasn't patient with the transparent parts so it looks smudged but even then!!

I really like some of the results here.

I also picked up 3 pre primed goblins. they were 5 of dollar. they have faces from those weird memes about chads.

The paintset i got didn't have a white so i tried mixing liquitek white in it and that was Not Good. Muddy colors. One kobold came out pretty good though

Especially when you compare to the smudgy bolds from a couple weeks ago

Ominous Jazz posted:

I'm glad I finished painting the smudgy kobolds, they were hideous and very unsatisfying to paint but I learned a lot and got some excellent recommendations to burn a hole through my paycheck.

I gotta get some new paints.

I think I can do better on these ones.

This hobby is so relaxing to me. I've been getting way better sleep. But that might be fumes. I also wanted to say that this thread is so nice to new people and encouraging and I was very worried about that before I started posting. Thanks gang.

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 20, 2023

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I forgot about the kobolds, time to laugh again for a while. Yeah it was absolutely the models, your newer ones look much better

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I wanna see what a minipainter like Richard Gray could do with one of those kobolds.

Someone send him one as a challenge.

"Polish this turd, Dick"

But don't ask him like that.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

SiKboy posted:

Magnetise the bases, put them in a metal biscuit (cookie I guess) tin or similar. The kind of thing you get fancy biscuits in that often get repurposed to hold sewing supplies. The magnets stick them to the bottom of the tin, the lid protects them from being squashed. Or, to make them more convenient to remove, stick them to the inside of the lid and put the tin on as a lid if you see what I mean. Either way I'd still individually wrap the individual figures in bubble wrap and tape the bubble wrap as My Spirit Otter suggests, just in case they come loose en route and bash into each other inside the tin.

Ominous Jazz posted:

bouncing off that, you could probably get two dollar store muffin trays and put little magnets on the base and have them be pretty safe

Good points! Thanks. Hadn't even thought about the biscuit tin, to be honest. Looks like I have a serious reason to go treat shopping.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

I tried some speed painter paint and uh

holy moly i'm happy with the results. I wanted to give him nice hair because he's an evil warlock so that you know that he could have spent his life being very good looking but gave it up for Unnatural Power. I wasn't patient with the transparent parts so it looks smudged but even then!!

I really like some of the results here.

I also picked up 3 pre primed goblins. they were 5 of dollar. they have faces from those weird memes about chads.

The paintset i got didn't have a white so i tried mixing liquitek white in it and that was Not Good. Muddy colors. One kobold came out pretty good though

Especially when you compare to the smudgy bolds from a couple weeks ago

This hobby is so relaxing to me. I've been getting way better sleep. But that might be fumes. I also wanted to say that this thread is so nice to new people and encouraging and I was very worried about that before I started posting. Thanks gang.

Great job! Those look good, it really shows how important having some minis that look like things is. I also find the thread really encouraging, there are some world class painters in here, but people still always take the time to comment on my minis.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AndyElusive posted:

I wanna see what a minipainter like Richard Gray could do with one of those kobolds.

"Polish this turd, Dick"

Considering those people who paint tiny murals of the Emperor fighting Horus on the side of a Rhino or whatever I'm sure a painter of sufficient skill could polish that turd

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

chin up everything sucks posted:

Not "could", has. It has bankrupt at least several people, and ruined a number of marriages. It's commonly called Plastic Crack for a reason.

I just started getting back into painting in June of this year, I bought some brushes and paints and two box sets (warriors and hormagaunts). Then I bought the leviathan set. Now I've ordered a bunch more models, and the big set of nice boxes of brushes from Artis Opus. I haven't finished the warriors and hormaguants yet, let alone started on the Leviathan minis.

My wife is less than impressed but I think she knows I'd just have bought a new gfx card or joystick or something if I hadn't blown it on 10 years worth of minis (at my current rate of painting).

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I just bought some spray paint equipment to help me prime faster, and already I'm thinking about buying stuff for basing my models....and new brushes, I really need new brushes for doing better highlights. Yep.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Maybe I should get an airgun

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Nobody steal my "Priming Paintball Gun" idea while I raise venture capital.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm already in the patent applied for stage of my Homer Simpson style shotgun shell army painter. method

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm already in the patent applied for stage of my Homer Simpson style shotgun shell army painter. method

:argh:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Prawned posted:

My wife is less than impressed but I think she knows I'd just have bought a new gfx card or joystick or something if I hadn't blown it on 10 years worth of minis (at my current rate of painting).

It's incentive to get good at painting. The wife will be a lot more impressed when you tell her that you can sell your little toy soldiers for 300% of what you spent on them.

It's just like flipping houses :pseudo:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dad, wargamers won't like being shot in the face.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GW should just bring back the handflamer airbrush.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
In a painting phase podcast they were talking about that and the little lasgun magazine tin for dice with the little skull holder thingies. I remembered I had the latter and dug it out of storage. It's such a cool little dice box

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Mini-adjacent: I'm reverse magnetizing my models using steel strike plates under them, and got a sheet of that printer-friendly magnetic sheet but it's extremely weak. Anyone know where I could get stronger, flexible magnetic sheets or what language I should look for that would describe the strength on products?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Springfield Fatts posted:

Mini-adjacent: I'm reverse magnetizing my models using steel strike plates under them, and got a sheet of that printer-friendly magnetic sheet but it's extremely weak. Anyone know where I could get stronger, flexible magnetic sheets or what language I should look for that would describe the strength on products?

I don't but I'm just going to recommend that you do the exact opposite and magnetize the minis.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

no such thing. magnet rubber sheet won't hold much more than its own weight ever. it's really only useful as a surface for rare earth magnets to adhere to

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Prawned posted:

I just started getting back into painting in June of this year, I bought some brushes and paints and two box sets (warriors and hormagaunts). Then I bought the leviathan set. Now I've ordered a bunch more models, and the big set of nice boxes of brushes from Artis Opus. I haven't finished the warriors and hormaguants yet, let alone started on the Leviathan minis.

Christmas is around the corner. Get her an army.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

More supports for my 12mm Soviets.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
My family never knows what to get me for Christmas, so I'll be dropping hints for more orks THAT I WILL NOT PAINT UNTIL I FINISH THE COMBAT PATROL

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Yeah, there's a reason everybody does this the other way around. If you wanted a sheet that was as strong as the neodymium magnets people usually glue under models, it would probably have to be a whole sheet of neodymium magnet. It looks like you can buy 3M flexible magnetic sheets that have neodymium magnets in them, so that'd be your best bet, but I have no experience doing it that way.
https://www.first4magnets.com/us/neodymium-flexible-magnetic-sheet-t226

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I haven't finished the markings on the tank, but I'm really happy how the skintone turned out on the commander.

I added some stowage for additional visual interest, and I'm pretty happy how well that turned out as well.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Really appreciate you painting the straps and buckles on the back of the tank that nobody will ever see.

Because I think about it every time I see the backpacks on my guards minis.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks! On a model that large, they're pretty necessary. The flat armour plates are so boring that the eye is drawn to the few details. If I leave them half done, they'll look terrible.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

"Polish this turd, Dick"

Send them to Ninjon and Duncan, see who can’t paint the best worst miniature

Great work, Jazz!

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Hear me out.

Joint Mini Painting / Uninspiration contest: best you can manage with the club kobold

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Dip it in acetone and convert it into a slime.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Encase it in clear resin, make it the victim of a gelatanous cube. Makes the melty features make sense.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Slyphic posted:

Hear me out.

Joint Mini Painting / Uninspiration contest: best you can manage with the club kobold

This is honestly a fun idea

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

It does

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Encase it in clear resin, make it the victim of a gelatanous cube. Makes the melty features make sense.

Kobold Ark of the Covenant diorama

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Beffer posted:

Christmas is around the corner. Get her an army.

She actually paints paints, like on canvas, so I got her some eldar dudes to try and she's quite enjoying painting them. I also plan to assemble the marines in the leviathan box and see if she wants to have a little game.

Unfortunately she isn't much into dorky things despite my best efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Hi I did a Salamander.

These models are BIG