Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Posey has the peak, the hardware, the narrative, and three rings. He'll get in despite lagging a fair bit in total WAR.
these are all the same thing btw, they're all Narrative

But I agree both are likely to be inducted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

Orel Hershiser is also a nice guy and pleasant broadcaster, not a cranky old man bitching about the modern game. Unlike Jack Morris.

I think someone advised him to clean up his Twitter, because he deleted anything supporting Trump/Flynn/chud nonsense. I have a screenshot of at least one of his lovely posts somewhere. It sucks, because he was one of my favorite players as a kid.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

these are all the same thing btw, they're all Narrative

But I agree both are likely to be inducted

idk if I'd include awards as part of narrative, if you're right on the cusp WAR-wise but have some Cy's or MVP's under your belt that's worth tipping a guy over since it speaks to their peak. Rings though yes I agree and frankly it's bullshit having them or not even factors into HoF discussion - reward a guy for being great in the postseason sure, but a ring is a team effort and it's not a player's fault if they spent their career being really good for teams that couldn't get over the finish line.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Explosionface posted:

Starlin Castro

Immediately who my mind went to. Fortunately, he's been the last bad defensive shortstop the Cubs had. Since then, it's been Russell, Baez, Hoerner, and Swanson.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s a team sport but the most valuable and best players should over 15 years or so be on some good teams

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rickiep00h posted:

Orel Hershiser is legit and I wish people gave him more credit for being great for two separate 80s powerhouses. I'll just keep using him for easy points on Immaculate Grid, I guess.

The proto-Guardians were a powerhouse in the 90s not the 80s, and outside of the 1995 ALCS he was an average innings eater for Cleveland. But still, :yeah:

He was never the same guy after the injury in 1990. But he did come back from reconstructive rotator cuff surgery and pitch almost a decade after it, which is still today almost unprecedented. A shoulder tear is usually the end of a pitcher's career.

Red posted:

I think someone advised him to clean up his Twitter, because he deleted anything supporting Trump/Flynn/chud nonsense. I have a screenshot of at least one of his lovely posts somewhere. It sucks, because he was one of my favorite players as a kid.

Yeah. I fell in love with baseball as a little kid in 1988, which made the rest inevitable. At least he deleted the horseshit instead of doubling down on it I guess.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

It’s a team sport but the most valuable and best players should over 15 years or so be on some good teams
Ted Williams, Mike Trout, Barry Bonds: all losers with zero rings

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They were on good teams tho

Except trout I guess which is a big knock against him

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The rough percentage of the play in an average game one superstar is able to directly influence:

Basketball ~80%
Football ~50%
Hockey ~40%
Baseball ~20% (only this high if you bat top-3 and play CF/SS/2B)

It's no brain stumper why superstars are almost always on good teams in the NBA but the correlation is drastically weaker in MLB

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Starlin Castro did do one really cool thing at shortstop though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Nb2Kmvlns

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Orel Hershiser is not just "not a chud on twitter" he's one of the only players from that era I've heard on a broadcast who's actually excited and interested in things like spin rate, tunneling, and other modern statcast data. He never whines about it, instead he'll say how much he wishes he had access to those kind of tools back in his day, and how much better he thinks modern players are because of these advancements.

Orel is the anti-Smoltz. I don't care that he's not in the Hall, but he should replace Smoltz on national broadcasts.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He was also a very good pitching coach for a couple years before deciding that if he can't be a manager he'd rather be a broadcaster

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah. I fell in love with baseball as a little kid in 1988, which made the rest inevitable. At least he deleted the horseshit instead of doubling down on it I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Orel Hershiser is not just "not a chud on twitter" he's one of the only players from that era I've heard on a broadcast who's actually excited and interested in things like spin rate, tunneling, and other modern statcast data. He never whines about it, instead he'll say how much he wishes he had access to those kind of tools back in his day, and how much better he thinks modern players are because of these advancements.

Orel is the anti-Smoltz. I don't care that he's not in the Hall, but he should replace Smoltz on national broadcasts.

You can be a smart person and have lovely opinions. Many of us will experience this phenomenon over piles of food this week.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Would he be the first Buster in the hall

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I don't have an issue with Posey or Mauer getting in. Posada should be in too

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

I'd want to throw so many "don't want you to fail out after one year" pity votes to so many of the first year folks... basically everyone except Shields, VMart, Joey Bats, and Gonzalez.

And of course a real vote for Beltre, as well as Wagner, Manny, and ARod.
Helton
Beltre
K Rod
Jones
Omar
Manny

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

Orel is the anti-Smoltz. I don't care that he's not in the Hall, but he should replace Sm oltz on national broadcasts.

100% behind this specifically but also in the more general “great trade, who’d we get” sense

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Can someone with search look for my post a month or two ago about the Cardinals signing Lance Lynn and Michael Wacha and calling it an offseason?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Mike_V posted:

Can someone with search look for my post a month or two ago about the Cardinals signing Lance Lynn and Michael Wacha and calling it an offseason?

Mike_V posted:

I'm looking forward to the Cardinals "finishing in second" to sign Aaron Nola, Blake Snell, and Yoshinobu Yamamoto and we end up with Michael Wacha and Lance Lynn and call it a day

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

What can I say, when you've got an in-demand player like Lance Lynn, you have to lock him up as quickly as possible

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

euphronius posted:

*weeps in mdemone*

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

"The thing I think about is winning a world series"

"That's why I came back to philly"

um,

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

Is this blaming Trout for staying on the Angels or are you saying he was secretly worse than we think?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

"The thing I think about is winning a world series"

"That's why I came back to philly"

um,

Proud winners of two (2) World Series titles in their... uh... (checks notes) 140 year history

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The World Series Clause is always ridiculous because Nick Punto and Drew Butera and Francisco Liriano have World Series rings, and no one would confuse any of them for good players.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MoralesLuis1/status/1726477648451272766

drat there goes the Ohtani money.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Edwin is going to pitch in 2024 unlike Ohtani, good signing

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Red posted:

You can be a smart person and have lovely opinions. Many of us will experience this phenomenon over piles of food this week.

If you got a problem with green bean casserole you got a problem with me and i suggest you marinate on that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Edwin Escobar who hasn't been in MLB since 2016?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

I don't have an issue with Posey or Mauer getting in. Posada should be in too

I was truly shocked that Posada was one-and-done.

I don't think he's necessarily a shoo-in, but he definitely has a decent case by JAWS at least.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The ballot was still pretty crowded in 2017, there were 10 people on that ballot who are now in the Hall of Fame (only 3 of whom were elected that year), plus Bonds/Clemens/Sheffiled/Sosa, and Posada.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 21, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I was truly shocked that Posada was one-and-done.

I don't think he's necessarily a shoo-in, but he definitely has a decent case by JAWS at least.

code:
JAWS
  Catcher (19th):
    42.7 career WAR | 32.6 7yr-peak WAR | 37.6 JAWS | 3.8 WAR/162
  Average HOF C (out of 16):
    53.6 career WAR | 34.7 7yr-peak WAR | 44.2 JAWS | 4.7 WAR/162
eh

(are there really only 16 catchers in the HOF?)

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I think it's hard for catchers since you have shorter careers, it's harder to play the full slate of games in a season but you also aren't seen as more valuable on a per game basis than other position players. Plus I think catcher defense is harder to measure/understand than the other positions.

There's only 16 3rd basemen in too, apparently.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Edwin Escobar who hasn't been in MLB since 2016?

Yep. He's been good in Japan for a couple years and throws lefty from a funky arm slot at 95-97. The financials aren't out yet but in a vacuum I don't mind it as a gamble to add some LHP to the pen alongside Little.

e. Escobar plays for the same team as the soon to be posted and heavily linked to the Cubs Shota Imanaga, so my guess is the Cubs got an incidental decent look at Escobar while scouting Imanaga.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 21, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Third base has always been underrepresented because it's smack in the middle of the defensive spectrum, in no man's land where it's neither a slugger's position (like the OF corners and first) nor a glove position (like CF/SS/2B). So the Baseball Establishment kind of expects you to be both to give you any respect, or else absolutely phenomenal at one or the other (Eddie Matthews and George Brett one way, Brooks Robinson the other)

Like Ron Santo was a very obviously qualified HoFer but because he was a very good hitter and a good fielder but wasn't great at either, he didn't get elected until after he died of old age. Whereas Scott Rolen who was pretty much exactly the same on overall value cruised right in, because he was an all time great glove and people remembered that.

Maybe that's not the best example because Rolen played in 39 playoff games to Santo's 0 (didn't slow Ernie Banks down though), and also a big part of Santo's problem is that his peak was in the hitters' graveyard of the mid-60s. But I do think Santo being a third baseman and not quite inner circle at either offense or defense was the big thing.

As for catcher yeah, as already mentioned the fact they don't play full seasons and often have short careers/peaks makes the standard higher than it should be.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 21, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

If you got a problem with green bean casserole you got a problem with me and i suggest you marinate on that.

I just bring alcohol, bread, and cheese, so I'm not really allowed to complain about the meal(s) that's been made and put in front of me.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
if you wouldn't vote for Wagner and Helton you're a bad person and what's wrong with society

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A hall with Phil rizzuto, Jack Morris and Scott rolen is sacred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol why would you include Rolen with those two

They both had bWAR just above 40, Rolen's was 70