Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

nine-gear crow posted:

It was literally some kid bought a website through Geocities in 1998 and threw the nine second remix of Whistle Stop he made online with a bunch of dancing hamster gifs and Disney didn't know what the gently caress to about it or even that it existed because it was the internet of 1998, digital copyright laws thankfully didn't exist yet. When the actual hamster dance song we know and love(?) today was made, Disney was like "nope, you can use the melody, but the clip is our IP, record your own version of it" and the rest is history.

Which version is this, because the 1998 one is the only one that I know (and love).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Soonmot posted:

Blue Eyed Samurai, however, is even better than this thread made me think it would be. Holy poo poo this show rules.

:haibrow: I dont like anime generally but Blue Eye Samurai was extremely banging. Writing, voice acting, animation, all top notch

late to the party but I'm on episode two of Scavengers Reign. Show's a hosed up mix of Aeon Flux, Fantastic Planet, & Nausicaa and I'm here for it

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrow: I dont like anime generally but Blue Eye Samurai was extremely banging. Writing, voice acting, animation, all top notch

late to the party but I'm on episode two of Scavengers Reign. Show's a hosed up mix of Aeon Flux, Fantastic Planet, & Nausicaa and I'm here for it

I'm on my third watch of Scavenger's Reign and I'm still obsessed. The plot and dialogue are so simple but I'm picking up little details in the background and the alien ecosystem, nuances in how the flashbacks tie with the present events, it's just a delight. A horrifying psychedelic delight.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Rand Brittain posted:

You could just drop the whole "plot" thing and do a sitcom.

"This is my girlfriend, Ramona. We live in Toronto, Canada, in the same town as her seven evil exes and my former archenemies (they are the same)." seems like a reasonable sitcom gimmick.

That would be a great April 1st 2025 30 min short.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Soonmot posted:

it loving sucks and is bad.

I am curious, since you're one of the few here with that opinion. What about it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The bit in this week's Krapopolis where the adventure party got brutally murdered sure was much.

I was more caught off guard by the weird NFT mention. What did the crypto poo poo vote on or whatever there?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I was more caught off guard by the weird NFT mention. What did the crypto poo poo vote on or whatever there?

Nah, I don't think there was a vote that happened.

I did notice that the episode he referred to was several weeks ago though, and no the immediately prior one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.themarysue.com/will-there-be-blue-eye-samurai-season-2-answered/

So Blue Eye Samurai's creative time is trying to coach people on social media on how to appease The Algorithm and get the show renewed for a second season, so that's totally a good sign right :stonklol:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Keromaru5 posted:

But I slept on it, and as soon as I picked up where I left off last night, I was totally into it. Good series. I kinda wish someone told me sooner that it has Will Forte singing "Konya wa Hurricane" from the 80s anime Bubblegum Crisis, because then I probably wouldn't have had to sleep on it.

That part made my jaw drop once my brain caught up and recognized the song. This show is extremely my poo poo :allears:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Holy cow everyone who said Bee and Puppycat had an abrupt ending were not lying, it felt like they just hacked 90 seconds off or something, very anti-climactic. Definitely need more even though I have no idea what that would look like

I don’t think I’ve vibed as hard with a show in a while (or since Bocchi the Rock ended at least), the score and the color palates and the character designs (both human and not) were all the exact right kind of off kilter, and the combination of chill, silly, malaised and fantastical is very unique. Also Puppycat is a little gremlin which is why it’s extra funny that he’s canonically Space Pirate Bishounen Steve Blum. All the voice actors they got were great too, the main cast were all very cool even if most were fairly unknown and then people like Stephen Root and Jennifer Tilly popping up also ruled. Bee is intensely relatable.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Krapopolis doing a "previous episode preserved on the blockchain" thing was absolutely nuts because that's not even what that tech is supposed to even do, which is already saying that the tech does anything more than be an infinitely-expanding ledger that bloats any system that adopts it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah, the blockchain is for spending $300 for the right to vote on which colour pants the characters will wear

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I just watch the Scott Pilgrim takes off, and I loved it.Having just watched the movie before, whoever said this was Rebuild of Scott Pilgrim was completely right.

Normally I don't like this type of story retelling very much, but here it really worked. The thing I thought the movie (understandbly) lacked,or didn't show enough of, really got to shine in the series, specifically Matthew and Lucas.Wallace though was way more of a rear end in a top hat than an funny rear end in a top hat, but his time with Todd was amazing.

The final fight vs even older Scott left a bit to be desired (they shoulda have him literally do a Evil Ryu combo on somebody), but it's ok.

If they do a second season, I' hope it's more of a episodic one, rather than an straight sequential plot. This would make it easier to fit in stories about the ensemble cast they have. Oh , and also, weekly episodes please,full releases are just so much worse for community and discussion

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Netflix got suckered by the bingedrop stuff working 10 years ago when they'd drop one show a quarter. But doing it every week means it's a miracle if anything gains traction regardless of quality or demographic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just finished Blue Eye Samurai and what a great show.

Expect the entire next season to be about her getting to London across almost 10,000km and a score of countries.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Using a boat triggers fast travel.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

repiv posted:

yeah, the blockchain is for spending $300 for the right to vote on which colour pants the characters will wear

Lol this is the sorta thing I wouldn't participate in even if it were free.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

repiv posted:

Oh god you guys aren't kidding. There's a whole bunch of these and every one is equally dumb. What colour dress does this pregnant woman wear? What colour is this spell? What colour is this pair of lizards?

It's so hilariously low effort. It's like they tried to sell the network on this by appealing to some random marketing buzzwords and then discovered that they were actually expected to follow through on the drat idea and therefore gave it the absolute minimum amount of shits.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Text BLUE to *88473 or text GREEN to *88497

Carrier fees may apply

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

repiv posted:

Imagine spending 300 dollars on that

Honestly, it feels like they promised to do blockchain stuff, realized it was more of a pain-in-the-rear end than they realized, and are now just doing as much low-effort stuff with it as possible so they could at least say that they're still doing it

I dont know, I don't know anything more about the background of this show tbh

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 21, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh god you guys aren't kidding. There's a whole bunch of these and every one is equally dumb. What colour dress does this pregnant woman wear? What colour is this spell? What colour is this pair of lizards?

It's so hilariously low effort. It's like they tried to sell the network on this by appealing to some random marketing buzzwords and then discovered that they were actually expected to follow through on the drat idea and therefore gave it the absolute minimum amount of shits.

It's also just notfeasible to make drastic changes in that short of a turn around, so of course they pick colours they can more easily swap out or go ahead and render out the 3 variants. Ultimately I'm glad it's meaningless changes, audience votes influencing fiction never seems to be that interesting. South Park might be the only cartoon flipped out fast enough to do such a thing beyond nominal changes but I'm not even sure how they could satirize it, the reality of it is already too nonsense.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Does Scavengers Reign get better past the first episode?
I didn't really like that one. I guess it felt to melancholic?

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yes, absolutely. The whole show remains rather melancholic and spooky. After episode 1 the journey to the ship begins, so there's more of a binding plotline now. It might not be your cup of tea, but add me to the chorus of overwhelmingly positive reviews. It's one of the best shows I've watched in a long time

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Vampire Panties posted:

blue eyed samurai reminded me of why I was really into anime back in the 90s. It managed to evoke all those feelings of "holy poo poo, a CARTOON did that?!" without all the gross tropes that turned me off from most of the medium as I left my 20s. I guess it could fall apart in the remaining episodes, but I doubt it. Just all together quality show. Are they using the same animation style that Dragon Prince did?

edit:

M_Gargantua posted:

I am curious, since you're one of the few here with that opinion. What about it?

I honestly cannot tell you. I was pumped for the movie, it looked like it was made for me, but I left film feeling like I was being pandered to. It wasn't to the same extreme as something like Ready Player One, and it's not as if I'm above weaponized nostalgia, given how I like shows like Cobra Kai, Willow, or Picard. I just could not care about Scott, or really any of the characters.

Maybe it's because I'm aroace and cishet relationships just immediately cause me to lose interest, but the stakes put up in the first three episodes did not hook me. I also didn't care for the animation style, but if the story had been to my liking, that wouldn't have been a problem.

Basically, this show is Not For Me, and that's fine, it just weirds me out that, almost literally, everyone else I know raves about this show/the movie/the comic.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 21, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm showing Blue Eye Samurai to my sister and she brought up something I hadn't considered: "Does she know not all white people have blue eyes?"

And I was like poo poo, yeah, that's legitimate if you've only met two in your entire life and they both had blue eyes. Might be interesting if one or both of the other marks have brown.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Just because people are really racist against her doesn't mean she can't be ignorant about race herself.

Only watched the first episode myself, though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, it makes a lot of sense! Information on white people in Japan at that point is entrenched in ignorance and superstition from that sampling of a whopping four black marketeers to represent everything. I just hadn't considered that her pool of knowledge is so limited that it makes more sense if she doesn't know.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Oh, it makes a lot of sense! Information on white people in Japan at that point is entrenched in ignorance and superstition from that sampling of a whopping four black marketeers to represent everything. I just hadn't considered that her pool of knowledge is so limited that it makes more sense if she doesn't know.

Also it is a stated point about Mizu's character that she's so blinded by self-hatred and the lust for revenge born out of that self-hatred that she does not give the slightest poo poo about trying to logic any of that out. Fowler explicitly calls her out on all of it during their duel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mizu also is going to end up in London next season if it gets made, which is presumably going to basically force her to reconsider things considering she will be less likely to on-sight be called the most hideous monster who has ever existed as well as meet at least some white people who are not cartoonishly evil supervillains. Not having every person you meet call you the spawn of Satan may help a bit with the ol' self esteem.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hell, it could lean so hard in the other direction with Orientalism that she finds a fun new way to hate things.

All this to say I hope Blue Eye Samurai gets a second season. I'm not often left with thoughts running wild and getting excited about how a character might grow.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.themarysue.com/will-there-be-blue-eye-samurai-season-2-answered/

So Blue Eye Samurai's creative time is trying to coach people on social media on how to appease The Algorithm and get the show renewed for a second season, so that's totally a good sign right :stonklol:

Getting flashbacks to The Sandman, when Netflix was radio silent on a season 2.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I started watching scott pilgrim and it seem well made and everything but I guess it just doesn't really appeal to me that much, although I'll probably give it another episode.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Hell, it could lean so hard in the other direction with Orientalism that she finds a fun new way to hate things.

Let's face it. It absolutely will! (Assuming a second season of course. (Which I wont because Netflix sucks sometimes.))

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Thank you posters that are not already fans of Scott Pilgrim voicing their indifference to this new version of it. I got too much other stuff to watch that has a better chance of interesting me, so I'll just keep ignoring it. Thankfully the thread seems to be self-correcting and going back to fawning over Blue Eye Samurai and Scavengers Reign instead.

cant cook creole bream posted:

It does, I did notice that I wasn't exactly hooked with the first episode, more so bewildered. It was the second episode that made me feel like I had a grasp of what was going on and was all for it. The show was released in 3-episode chunks that seemed to work well for pacing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I will continue to fawn over Scott Pilgrim Takes Off and Lucas Lee's hot bod. :colbert:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Electric Phantasm posted:

I will continue to fawn over Scott Pilgrim Takes Off and Lucas Lee's hot bod. :colbert:

He was NOT nearly that big in the original it's so funny

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
The animation on lucas lees huge frame was really funny sometimes

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mycot posted:

He was NOT nearly that big in the original it's so funny

Yeah, Todd was the one with the huge stocky build in the comics originally. Lucas was just a really tall motherfucker.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Let's party."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Best chest in the business.