Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

hell you dont even have to point to wake 2. none of remedy's other games have rpg mechanics and they're all better! lends credence to the idea it was a publisher choice

yeah if the service weapon forms just had like two or three bonuses you could get and pick from from doing certain missions that would have been better than the mod and skill system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apparently the DLC for Persona 5 Tactica lets you use the royal characters but only in their side DLC maps and New Game+.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hoping Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince is good. Dragon Quest Builders 2 snuck up on me and ended up being one of my favorite games of that generation, so now I’m very curious about any new DQ side games

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

biceps crimes posted:

Hoping Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince is good. Dragon Quest Builders 2 snuck up on me and ended up being one of my favorite games of that generation, so now I’m very curious about any new DQ side games

Do you like doing online battles against other people and building teams to participate in auto-battle tournaments? Cause if you do, this is the premium game for that sort of thing (if it is at all like the 3ds games). Aside from that, DQM is always kinda like a more complicated version of Pokemon, but with DQ theming. The main stories tend to be about on par with Pokemon main stories as well.

It will be interesting to see how this does with a worldwide release, because I feel like a lot of people might just write it off as a mid spinoff game, and not really have any interest in partaking in the online features, which have always stood out as key features.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Barudak posted:

Apparently the DLC for Persona 5 Tactica lets you use the royal characters but only in their side DLC maps and New Game+.

Someone at Atlus was interested in fighting Nintendo for "worst implementation of an additional DLC campaign and added characters in a tactical RPG released in 2023," I see. :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Books On Tape posted:

FF14 was an MMO
FF15 was a weird offshoot, even if they didnt intend it to be, how can they say it's not.
FF16 is another weird offshoot then?

When are we getting an actual non-offshoot JRPG with the Final Fantasy name and polish?

Is it that surprising that long time fans of the series are a little pissed with the direction it's heading?

Final Fantasy 7R came out and was incredible. FF7R part 2 is months away.

Not sure what is a "longtime fan" but if that isn't a game for fans then nothing will ever satisfy them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
did anyone else thought when they saw the new trailer for that video game that cloud and sepiroth were going to kissy kissy

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Barudak posted:

Striker characters and maybe I bite

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GateOfD posted:

Striker characters and maybe I bite

bring back sophie

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well since we're doing a doom spiral about Final Fantasy because 16 not selling 3 billion copies means that magnetism will turn off or whatever, what's your favorite bizarre nonsense you've read 'fans' of the series say? Mine was that they were going to take Tifa out of the entire Remake because she hadn't been shown in either trailer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RareAcumen posted:

Well since we're doing a doom spiral about Final Fantasy because 16 not selling 3 billion copies means that magnetism will turn off or whatever, what's your favorite bizarre nonsense you've read 'fans' of the series say? Mine was that they were going to take Tifa out of the entire Remake because she hadn't been shown in either trailer.

FF is no longer catering to women because FF15 starred four sad boys having emotions at each other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ff13 was deeply unpopular and almost killed the series

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
That guy going off about honour and whatnot in response to ff13 coming out on xbox

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BabyRyoga posted:

Do you like doing online battles against other people and building teams to participate in auto-battle tournaments? Cause if you do, this is the premium game for that sort of thing (if it is at all like the 3ds games). Aside from that, DQM is always kinda like a more complicated version of Pokemon, but with DQ theming. The main stories tend to be about on par with Pokemon main stories as well.

It will be interesting to see how this does with a worldwide release, because I feel like a lot of people might just write it off as a mid spinoff game, and not really have any interest in partaking in the online features, which have always stood out as key features.
The online stuff is great but honestly the games stand alone if you like Pokemon and spreadsheets - the original DW Monsters on Game Boy Color the in-game timer capped at 99:59 and you know how I know. There's generally a fair chunk of dungeons to crawl and lots of breeding and boxes to check.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lulu's dress was made that way to be a headache for cosplayers. Or 3D modelers. Or the cutscene directors. The editors and translation team too, somehow.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Sakurazuka posted:

FF is no longer catering to women because FF15 starred four sad boys having emotions at each other.

It's this one

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Runa posted:

I hesitate to describe 13 in that way.

I was inclined to agree but my ESL rear end forgot that "horrific" is bad and "terrific" is good

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

pixel bitches posted:

That guy going off about honour and whatnot in response to ff13 coming out on xbox
Well, you know why they call it the Xbox 360...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

goblin week posted:

I was inclined to agree but my ESL rear end forgot that "horrific" is bad and "terrific" is good

Terrific used to mean "terrifying" in English too until a couple hundred years ago, then the meaning gradually became inverted as it was used more often to describe things that were imposing or extraordinary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I got a few hours into In Stars And Time and it's pretty drat interesting so far!

The basic premise is that your cast of characters are end-game RPG characters. They've gotten to the final boss's castle but about five steps in the protagonist is crushed by a falling rock. However they awaken back where they started the day and discover they can redo the day to avoid dangers, make alternate choices, and so-on.

The cast and world are pretty charming. The primary cast have a lot of good charisma with one another and there's a ton of dialogue that really plays off the idea they are friends who travel together. The protagonist for example loves making terrible puns, something which horrifies the rest of the cast except Isabeau, the party's Fighter/Tank character who is never not delighted

I'm not far enough in to the game to really get a fully grasp of the themes it is going for, but at least the basic worldsetting is very much coming from a LGBTQ+ place. The land you are in worships the idea of Change, with the ability to change and evolve who you are being pretty critical to the basic world. Everyone at birth is given a masculine, feminine and neutral name and they can decide to swap between them at will or present how they prefer. Isabeau for example is strongly implied (as far as I am) to be a transman but casually mentions they don't like to reveal their other names. It feels fairly nice and genuine and I hope it remains that way.

In terms of gameplay, it's a bit odd. The combat system is quite literally Rock/Paper/Scissors, with each element (again, literally R/P/S) having its expected strengths and weaknesses. Every character has a specific element they are associated with for their basic attack (though some weapons can change that) as well as skills which can be of different elements. Enemy models show what their elemental type is usually somewhere on their body (hands being the most obvous place) but can be misleading or change types. Your overall goal is to try to stack the same attack type five times in a row which triggers an elemental Jackpot which does big damage and heals the party. Using a different element resets this counter but buff/debuff/healing spells don't. All spells are on a cooldown system and sometimes enemies will change elements quickly so min-maxing to get the optimal amount of attacks in a row is basically the center of the combat system.

The time travel elements of the game play into this. Your party gains levels and skills as they adventure but if you have to time loop only the protagonist retains any of those, though all equipment is retained. When you save at a save point however the skills and abilities of your party at the time you save are recorded and if you loop back you can choose to start from certain checkpoints with the stats recorded. However in addition to equipment you also get Memories, which are equippable items that grant certain passive boosts and are gained through certain events. These can range from giving you a reminder to where keys are, to letting a character use a skill they haven't unlocked via normal leveling yet.

The game does have a fair amount of backtracking. You'll need to return to earlier time periods (via death) in order to complete certain quests or objectives, and while you can find some shortcuts sometimes you're just obligated to redo earlier parts of the game. (Usually you get something worthwhile out of it but still.) That's probably my biggest complaint so far, but the game has implied I'll eventually get something that lessens the amount of backtracking so it may just be an earlier game thing.

So far I'm really charmed by it. It's a cute game with fun writing and fits pretty firmly in the 'comfy' category. That said it seems like it could get darker because the protagonist is getting increasingly upset and angry at themselves every time they make a mistake because each time it happens they're aware it is because they screwed up and everyone died and each time loop represents another time they would have gotten all their friends killed because they missed something or made a wrong choice.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 21, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WaltherFeng posted:

Final Fantasy 7R came out and was incredible. FF7R part 2 is months away.

Not sure what is a "longtime fan" but if that isn't a game for fans then nothing will ever satisfy them.

Final Fantasy 7R is literally an offshoot of Final Fantasy 7's story.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Setzeri/status/1725205859049918541

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Who's the character in XVI supposed to be?

E: Never mind, her hair is not the color I remember it being.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Blue Reflection 2 question: if I end a chapter with crafting/date requests outstanding, are those gone forever? Just started chapter 3 and all the map markers vanished, and I don't know if I should expect them to come back in a bit or if I should reload my end-of-chapter-2 save and run around talking to everyone more before I dropkick the boss into hell.

The Colonel posted:

will do some control posting since control is making enough of an attempt to be an rpg. ladies and gentlemen, i gotta say something controversial here. control is one of those games that would be better if it was trying less to be an rpg, and maybe even if there were less rpgs in it

Control is great but I also pretty much agree with this, yeah.

I do want to replay it sometime though!

Everyone posted:

ffpostin'

Apropos Final Fantasy, my daughter is just getting into FF1 (the Dawn of Souls version, since that's what I had handy) and is really enjoying it. :3: I was worried she might find it a bit grindy, but upon reaching Elfland and realizing she didn't have enough money to clean out the shops there, she declared that she "loves grinding" and went out to kill every living thing on the continent to feed her black magic habit, so that's working out nicely.

And now I'm wondering what to recommend next if she's still in a JRPG-ing mood afterwards. Chrono Trigger was my first thought, but she really doesn't like timed stuff, so ATB might turn her off from it. Still going to suggest it if she asks, but I'd like to have a backup plan. She's played Pokemon a bit but wasn't nearly as into it as she is into FF1 now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if she likes ff1 you could have her try etrian odyssey or other wizardry-likes, if the more indepth dungeon crawling wouldnt scare her off? that genre's got the build a party, grind them up aspects.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Perhaps Dragon Quest III for something similar? Though after being able to continuously make character building decisions by buying new spells, that might not satisfy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ToxicFrog posted:

Blue Reflection 2 question: if I end a chapter with crafting/date requests outstanding, are those gone forever? Just started chapter 3 and all the map markers vanished, and I don't know if I should expect them to come back in a bit or if I should reload my end-of-chapter-2 save and run around talking to everyone more before I dropkick the boss into hell.

I don't think the essential character-specific dates ever go away but there are a couple interstitial scenes that you have to be standing in the right place to activate, and those can disappear. I got halfway through the game before knowing what those were.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Colonel posted:

will do some control posting since control is making enough of an attempt to be an rpg. ladies and gentlemen, i gotta say something controversial here. control is one of those games that would be better if it was trying less to be an rpg, and maybe even if there were less rpgs in it

lol yeah i think this was one of the big victims of the current "everything has to have a gear-rarity system" trend in action games. its just completely pointless. the upgrades are OK, i guess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it was really funny to see the trailer for Suicide Squad come out and like every single person just groaned upon seeing that same inventory screen yet again. my conclusion is that Bungie is responsible for both this, and the horrible "console UI with a cursor" trend and must be destroyed.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 21, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat the game a few minutes ago and all i have to say is that i hope the second game has fully fleshed out combat design instead of a lot of half-baked rpg aspects trying to cover for shallow combat design. i just replayed max payne and alan wake 1 so i know remedy can do it. even if it took halfway through alan wake 1 for them to figure out how to design encounters for it

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Funny thing about gear rarity: no, I don't actually know which of epic or legendary is better. No, I don't remember Diablo II(?) color-coding either.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it was really funny to see the trailer for Suicide Squad come out and like every single person just groaned upon seeing that same inventory screen yet again. my conclusion is that Bungie is responsible for both this, and the horrible "console UI with a cursor" trend and must be destroyed.

i like that they made a big show of delaying it and after showing it again it's literally just the same game like they did not change a single thing about it. rocksteady trying to suicide they studio with this squad!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I could argue about Old FF vs. New FF for the billionth time or I could post about Xenoblade, a series I'm finally starting to prove I'm not a total curmudgeon clinging to the games of my youth. I'm willing to give new(ish) games a chance.

But I was looking to see what other Switch JRPGs there are and found this list. Now I distrust it because it has SMTV on it and in the Top 10. If SMTV is one of the best Switch JRPGs, this does not bode well. But my main comment is on how Xenoblade 3 is #1 while 2 doesn't even place. Just from the snippets I've read, XBC2 is the game I'm most eager to try. Despite "Bae Blades,' long time Xeno fans like myself have assured me it's closest to my beloved Gears and Saga in significant ways.

But before that I have to play 1. I remember this thread talking about how in 2 you need to look up guides how to actually play it because the game doesn't tell you a lot of important stuff. Is that true for 1 or can I just dive straight in?

for some reason xbc2 was utterly detested when it came out. i blame the same reason people couldn't shut up about "anime grunting" in ff7R: people getting all their jokes from youtubers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i like that they made a big show of delaying it and after showing it again it's literally just the same game like they did not change a single thing about it. rocksteady trying to suicide they studio with this squad!

They did change a few things (if you believe the demo video.) Damage numbers seemed significantly higher and enemies were going down more like traditional shooter enemies, while one of the big criticisms was how HP spongey the enemies looked in the previous footage. It's not necessarily a huge fix but at very least seems like they tried to compensate for people's complaints.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

for some reason xbc2 was utterly detested when it came out. i blame the same reason people couldn't shut up about "anime grunting" in ff7R: people getting all their jokes from youtubers

I think a major part of that boils down to the art style change TBH. XB3 hits a happier design medium between XB1 and 2.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 21, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it was pretty obvious they were not going to completely retool the game in like six months

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the kneejerk hate for xenoblade 2 had this weird combo going of a lot of people were really attached to 1's weird muddy late ps2 ff12 but with more colors look, the game actually having a pretty messy development that did lead to some technical hiccups, the guest artists for the blades leading to a lot of pointing fingers over why xenoblade is so horny now with some people involved in the arguing going off of comically edited images that actively made the blades' tits even bigger, and a really bad dunkey video

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the hate for xenoblade 2 is me timetravelling throughout the multiverse to seethe about the field skill system

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the kneejerk hate for xenoblade 2 had this weird combo going of a lot of people were really attached to 1's weird muddy late ps2 ff12 but with more colors look, the game actually having a pretty messy development that did lead to some technical hiccups, the guest artists for the blades leading to a lot of pointing fingers over why xenoblade is so horny now with some people involved in the arguing going off of comically edited images that actively made the blades' tits even bigger, and a really bad dunkey video

I mean I just didn't like how it played or was written.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think people can play games and dislike aspects of those games and it be completely unrelated to what some random Youtuber said, if I'm being honest with you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

I think people can play games and dislike aspects of those games and it be completely unrelated to what some random Youtuber said, if I'm being honest with you guys.

:hai: