Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

mecha Chomsky gonna get ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Manufacturing consent is a bad book now?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbh i am not *entirely* sure what to make of that post. chomsky for sure can be criticized for a lot of things, but one kind of have to establish the starting point that he is a famous public leftist intellectual that got a lot of things right and did a lot to keep certain conversations going in times when it was quite hard to do.

e.g. the fateful triangle was published 40 years ago and basically amounts to in great detail making GBS threads on israel and in particular the us in regards to the murderous "peace process" shitshow in the middle east. it is hardly explosive stuff in 2023, and iirc he has had some recent takes that seem so muted as to be undermining (partially a basically outdated way of expressing things) but that book is from 1983 and did not really pull punches.

e: chomsky hierarchy is pretty dumb though, and everything he did in linguistics after that arguably worse. i unironically and fully enjoy linguists tears over llm's, their field has been leaping from ill-conceived idea to ill-conceived idea, and a *lot* of the time the results have been pretty prescriptive and arguably exclusionary.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 15, 2023

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

2) outside the reach of what most humans can consistently do (turns out this is not as high a bar as one sometimes imagines).

"There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists."

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/charliebholtz/status/1724815159590293764?s=46&t=8g1SJ87BoVmp86tfUCXz2A

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

making comics

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

retpocileh posted:

Chomsky is much smarter than me and I must be missing something.

I think the difference is that the counterfactuals for basic understanding of gravity are pretty well covered in its training set. The process of training an llm might cover what Chomsky is talking about here, but the user interface where you're interacting with it is a probabilistic output that is only exercising rules and connections it already has mapped for it though reviewing internet data.

I think it's like asking a chinese room to reason about something. Maybe LLMs are like lossy, compressed versions of chinese rooms using letter and word probabilities- the room full of key/value pairs doesn't do any actual thinking.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I think a good example of this is how chatgpt, when it was a sept 2020 data cutoff, was mostly useless when asked questions about llms. There were some canned responses chatgpt gave about it self for sure, but the training data didn't have any useful abstractions about how the current wave of llms which hamstrung its ability to give meaningful completions on the topic.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

SpaceAceJase posted:

Manufacturing consent is a bad book now?

I also had to do a double take, lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Can AI fix OpenAI?

https://apple.news/AHw3nJRsBQtiSD1NG1a9nEQ

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pythagoras a trois posted:

I think it's like asking a chinese room to reason about something. Maybe LLMs are like lossy, compressed versions of chinese rooms using letter and word probabilities- the room full of key/value pairs doesn't do any actual thinking.

they are. LLMs are statistical language models. they generate text that is a good fit to the given prompt. they are incapable of reason.

put another way, LLMs don’t hallucinate sometimes, they hallucinate 100% of the time. it’s just that most of the stuff they make up is sufficiently consistent with their goal to make it appear intelligent.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Pythagoras a trois posted:

I also had to do a double take, lol

it is doomer tankie poo poo written by two prolific genocide denialists

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

goblin week posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhckuhUxcgA

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

goblin week posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIlL0T2yTss

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
mate go back to cspam

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

goblin week posted:

:manning:

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
love the corrupted garfielf and the warlboro

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

shitface posted:

jfc. $300 just for scaling? you can get davinci resolve for life for the same amount, get ai upscalng and a full-featured nle, profession colorist studio and special fx creation

you can also pirate DaVinci Resolve (and most video-editing software) for INFINITELY less than that!

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

goblin week posted:

:smith:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pictured: a clear day in the unfiltered legion

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

the battlé of who loving cares where am I (1998 colorizéd)

>crap off

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Macy's parade coming up

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Emesis Day Parade

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Who could forget the first Thanksgiving where Shrek and Garfield were present?

or whatever the gently caress is happening here

or put a Djinni in a Norman Rockwell painting

Look out here come my posts lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

vending machine that sells memes

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

now make one that sells used memes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

polyester concept posted:

now make one that sells used memes

we have elon musk at home

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol i told midjourney to give me hamburglar at the beach for ellie and it managed to output this

in fairness i bet that boi's burgled some hams right enough

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Looking forward to getting murdered by a robot dog as it makes hilarious quips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djzOBZUFzTw

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

new AI joy is making Fox Mulder go out drinking with X-files characters

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

lmao, I'm sure this fundamental problem with the tech can be fixed if you can find a bandaid stupid enough

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

ayyyy lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i've been setting up windows 10 on this chromebook and so have been playing around with edge

and lol, they integrated the bing image creator into it. it's getting pretty good

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

hamburglar: everybody be cool this is a robblery!

Ronald: any of you loving pricks move, I'll deep fry every mother loving last one of you!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jules opens the suitcase

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what, no vomit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored