Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Rank the other scientists:

Lee

non sg1 scientists:

1)the guys who died at alpha site to wisps
2)the guys who didnt die at alpha site to wisps
3) the guys who died to feral gould / unas
4)the annoying sexist nid gate expert
5)the guys at immunotech who were really into cutting out sams brain
6)anyone
7) cooms
8) felcher

i really hate star trek tng / tos so cooms being above felcher shows you annoying felcher is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

redshirt posted:

Also, I'm putting together some SG teams and I'd like to hear if there are any volunteers (before we have to force draft folks....).

Shout out here if you're interested in an SG6-14 team.

I want to be on the SG team that’s responsible for cleaning PortaPotties

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Speaking of waste management... it's a real waste that they never place a gate in the middle of space just to dump nuclear waste through it. There's a real lack of imagination there.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

redshirt posted:

What are your SG2 creds?

I am willing to die so that RDA has a dramatic beat.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I feel like I could do a good job gathering data that won't solve the problem but would save Carter like 90 minutes so that she could ultimately solve the problem.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

snergle posted:

im going 60% jack 40% sam. betraying 5 is 100% going to gently caress them down the line. hes going to be hardened and spiteful in a way a machine cant be. sam could of ignored the order and set it for the correct time or even argued but ultimately she follows chain of command most of the time and jack knows that so him giving the order is the main source of blame imo.
If the timer had been set as stated, it wouldn't have worked because the other humanoid replicators are already at it to stop it right as it goes off.

Granted, it's the writing, but weird how that specific part doesn't come up later when it obviously backfires with 5.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
I'm watching SG1 from start to finish for the first time having only ever caught occasional episodes before. Couple of things I'm appreciating are some of the background music sounding like the stealth themes from Deus Ex, and all the late 90s computer tech - watching people click through a bunch of chunky web pages in Netscape unlocks some core memories for me

Also I felt for Teal'c when his joke about Set guards bombed :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dadrips posted:

I'm watching SG1 from start to finish for the first time having only ever caught occasional episodes before. Couple of things I'm appreciating are some of the background music sounding like the stealth themes from Deus Ex, and all the late 90s computer tech - watching people click through a bunch of chunky web pages in Netscape unlocks some core memories for me

Also I felt for Teal'c when his joke about Set guards bombed :(

Where are you in your watch? Favorite episode so far?

Teal'c's burgeoning sense of humor is a fantastic character development. It reflects the O'Neill influence.

Did we see Bra'Tac ever make a joke?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

redshirt posted:

Where are you in your watch? Favorite episode so far?

Teal'c's burgeoning sense of humor is a fantastic character development. It reflects the O'Neill influence.

Did we see Bra'Tac ever make a joke?

Pretty sure Bra'Tac eventually cracked wise with Jack and Hammond from Texas.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

FFT posted:

If the timer had been set as stated, it wouldn't have worked because the other humanoid replicators are already at it to stop it right as it goes off.

Granted, it's the writing, but weird how that specific part doesn't come up later when it obviously backfires with 5.

i dont think so 5 tells both the other 6 humanoid replicators and sg1 he messed it with so they cant stop it. they could of stopped him yes infact in the closing moments it looks like they are about to tear him apart but a united robot army is probably going to be easier to deal with and when the timer was set sg1 did not know the other human replicators would come back early. infact if t hey had gotten him out the asgards could of found a way to beam his "weakness" to the other replicators and reasoned w/ them.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

McSpanky posted:

Felcher shows up one more time but it's not quite as bad as the first time. I agree though, Felcher is such a broad stereotype it's difficult to believe he wasn't shitcanned/sent to Russia years ago.

yeah he really felches it up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

*hand over head motion

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

redshirt posted:

*hand over head motion

I loving love Stargate. It's so long and so many things happen and many of them make sense and those slavers get what's coming to them!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

I loving love Stargate. It's so long and so many things happen and many of them make sense and those slavers get what's coming to them!

Hell yeah brother! Cheers from Dakka!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WACKO!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just finished Continuum for my first re-watch. Watched sg1/atlantis/universe for the first time back in 2020. Probably not gonna watch Atlantis again.

Absolutely my favorite sci-fi franchise.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Just finished Continuum for my first re-watch. Watched sg1/atlantis/universe for the first time back in 2020. Probably not gonna watch Atlantis again.

Absolutely my favorite sci-fi franchise.

Gear up. You're with SG12.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

1glitch0 posted:

he has a bit going with jack from their first meeting. the not bad for a man of 173. its been in almost every episode he was in. he also argues with jack about grenades then jack uses one and he is like i want grenades.

plus as redshirt said the hand over head for hammond of texas.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

he has a bit going with jack from their first meeting. the not bad for a man of 173. its been in almost every episode he was in. he also argues with jack about grenades then jack uses one and he is like i want grenades.

plus as redshirt said the hand over head for hammond of texas.

You are correct. As usual.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I liked how by the later seasons when the gate poo poo itself I could sit on the couch and shrug my shoulders and diagnose it based on the previous episodes and then the people on the screen would do the same thing but it wouldn't work because this thing was different and I was like OH poo poo this thing is something we haven't prepared for. Then I took another shot of vodka and leaned back to see how they'd get out of this one.

That's good writing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

I liked how by the later seasons when the gate poo poo itself I could sit on the couch and shrug my shoulders and diagnose it based on the previous episodes and then the people on the screen would do the same thing but it wouldn't work because this thing was different and I was like OH poo poo this thing is something we haven't prepared for. Then I took another shot of vodka and leaned back to see how they'd get out of this one.

That's good writing.

lol get this guy an NDA and a Security Clearance.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

we need a memeit.so for sg-1

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

we need a memeit.so for sg-1

What's a memeit.so?

Anyone know if there was "drama" around the departure of the actor Corin Nemec from the show?

I don't know anything. I liked Jonas Quinn as a character a lot and was sad that he didn't at least come back a few times. I assume the reason he left is because Shanks returned to the show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

He was apparently massively into scientology and was pushing it pretty hard on set to the point where everyone basically told him to gently caress off.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

redshirt posted:

What's a memeit.so?

Anyone know if there was "drama" around the departure of the actor Corin Nemec from the show?

I don't know anything. I liked Jonas Quinn as a character a lot and was sad that he didn't at least come back a few times. I assume the reason he left is because Shanks returned to the show.

I liked the idea of Jonas but he felt a bit too... superhuman, without us seeing his path to getting there. He's super smart, super strong, super charasmatic etc. right off the bat. Daniel/Sam/Jack becomes that, but we get to see their journey from being dorky or nerdy or brash or whatever first. Jonas is just kind of dropped in.

I think Vala has a lot of that as well. I like her characterisation a bit more, I just wish they didn't go down the "overtly sexual" route quite so often with her.

Mitchell is more grounded, in a binge watch he "fits in" a bit too quickly but I think if I was watching it in an episodic way as intended I don't think it will feel that way.

edit: I'm on the two parter "The Quest". The lead up is that they're trying to find the Holy Grail, they have to go all the way to Atlantis to speak to Morgan Le Fay to find the gate addresses of the three planets Arthur traveled to in search of it (I think? memory got a bit fuzzy), they search those three planets and find nothing, then Vala finally has a sudden flash of inspiration that they actually have to combine the three gate addresses together to find the location...

And they get there and not only do the locals know who the Jaffa are, they also have gotten there first (swiftly followed by the Ori). Like... what? There was no mention that the Goa'uld knew about the planet before hand. Sam says they cross-referenced "the database" but at this stage it's made up of addresses of so many sources it's hard to tell where this address actually came from. It seems crazy that they've only stumbled on this by sheer dumb luck, and the other two powers get there right at the same time.

I dunno, maybe it's explained later. I think I remember Baal saying he was also looking. How he knew about the Atlantis addresses I do not know.

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 21, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

He was apparently massively into scientology and was pushing it pretty hard on set to the point where everyone basically told him to gently caress off.

Well that's a bummer, but explains it.

Just watched the Felger and Combs episode. LOVE it. Want a spinoff.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

EvilHawk posted:

I liked the idea of Jonas but he felt a bit too... superhuman, without us seeing his path to getting there. He's super smart, super strong, super charasmatic etc. right off the bat. Daniel/Sam/Jack becomes that, but we get to see their journey from being dorky or nerdy or brash or whatever first. Jonas is just kind of dropped in.

I think Vala has a lot of that as well. I like her characterisation a bit more, I just wish they didn't go down the "overtly sexual" route quite so often with her.

Mitchell is more grounded, in a binge watch he "fits in" a bit too quickly but I think if I was watching it in an episodic way as intended I don't think it will feel that way.

edit: I'm on the two parter "The Quest". The lead up is that they're trying to find the Holy Grail, they have to go all the way to Atlantis to speak to Morgan Le Fay to find the gate addresses of the three planets Arthur traveled to in search of it (I think? memory got a bit fuzzy), they search those three planets and find nothing, then Vala finally has a sudden flash of inspiration that they actually have to combine the three gate addresses together to find the location...

And they get there and not only do the locals know who the Jaffa are, they also have gotten there first (swiftly followed by the Ori). Like... what? There was no mention that the Goa'uld knew about the planet before hand. Sam says they cross-referenced "the database" but at this stage it's made up of addresses of so many sources it's hard to tell where this address actually came from. It seems crazy that they've only stumbled on this by sheer dumb luck, and the other two powers get there right at the same time.

I dunno, maybe it's explained later. I think I remember Baal saying he was also looking. How he knew about the Atlantis addresses I do not know.

Quoting myself, Baal explains he stole the database when he infiltrated SG-1 and then tracked down the last address. That explains that!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Quoting myself, Baal explains he stole the database when he infiltrated SG-1 and then tracked down the last address. That explains that!

Yeah, with all the clones at SGC? And they escape due to that idiot from NID? And he holds Sam hostage for the codes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It is one of the greatest regrets of my life that I will never be in a situation where I can say, with the last bit of my patience beginning to run out:

Jaffa kree.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I feel like The Other Guys works a lot better if you've watched the Red Green Show, and are already acclimatized to Patrick McKenna.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

PittTheElder posted:

I feel like The Other Guys works a lot better if you've watched the Red Green Show, and are already acclimatized to Patrick McKenna.

Holy poo poo I never realized before how similar those 2 characters are!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

redshirt posted:

What's a memeit.so?

Frinkiac but for TNG

https://memeit.so/

The current star trek thread is putting together dril quotes and trek and i assume that's where the majority of screencaps are coming from

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 22, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Mulva posted:

It is one of the greatest regrets of my life that I will never be in a situation where I can say, with the last bit of my patience beginning to run out:

Jaffa kree.

That day will come. It will come. I got way more fluent in Goa'uld than I ever did Klingon.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Frinkiac but for TNG

https://memeit.so/

The current star trek thread is putting together dril quotes and trek and i assume that's where the majority of screencaps are coming from

That's fun!

Mistake or O'Neill being O'Neill: He claims to never have seen Star Wars, but wants to name the new spaceship Enterprise.

Just that hard a Trekkie?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

O'Neill also calls himself Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise in 1969, then later in the episode calls himself Luke Skywalker.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

FFT posted:

O'Neill also calls himself Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise in 1969, then later in the episode calls himself Luke Skywalker.

Jack is a dork and doesn't want people to know.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

Jack is a dork and doesn't want people to know.

He just wants to keep people on their toes.

That or he gets all his pop culture knowledge through the Simpsons.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

That day will come. It will come. I got way more fluent in Goa'uld than I ever did Klingon.

I'm not a Trek person, but I took it at face value that Frasier actually delivered his speech at his son's bar mitzvah in Klingon because Frasier's co-worker decided to prank him, i.e. that Klingon is an artificial but working language. I didn't get the feeling that SG-1 ever took the concept of the languages too seriously, despite Daniel starting out as a linguist!, and rather took it as an opportunity for jokes. This is a wonderful Jack-Daniel exchange pretty early in the series (I think):

-"What the hell does 'kree' mean?"
-"Well, actually, it means a lot of things. Loosely translated it means 'Attention', 'Listen up', 'Concentrate'."
-"'Yoo-hoo'?"
-"Yes, in a manner of speaking."

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah it's nowhere near as developed as Klingon because no one ever officially made Goa'uld into a functional or consistent language in the same way.

"Ka" means "no", "ka kek" means "lies", "kek" means "kill, dead, weakness", "mol kek" means "kill them all", "ra'kek" is the Goa'uld flashbang, "shal kek" means "dismissed", "shel kek nem ron" means "I die free"

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of imagine that Daniel Jackson's written like 30 books on languages that won't be able to be published until 70 years after his death, at which point they'll be in the public domain.

Somehow, colleges will still charge $500 for each copy.