Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MrQwerty posted:

they've eliminated that in the stores in town by only offering shopping carts, so if you walk in to buy a bunch of groceries without one it's on you

Use one of those square hard sided collapsible shopping bags. Fill with groceries, unload, pay, reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Saganlives posted:

I refuse to use self check out for anything more than like two things. I'm not gonna subsidize corporate labor costs while they charge the prices they do, gently caress them.

Where I live, you either use the self checkout or you wait 20 minutes for the single checker to deal with the line of people that is so long it renders an entire aisle unusable.

e: I saw the latest episode of Last Week Tonight where they talked about how lovely dollar stores are. Wal-Marts and big stores are kind of like that, where I live, usually just a mess with like half the staff they need, but the dollar stores have always been well-maintained, clean, fully staffed. :shrug:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I am in a Facebook group for Baldur’s Gate 3 and you can’t say kill, murder, assassin and other words like that or they’ve threatened to ban the group.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I am in a Facebook group for Baldur’s Gate 3 and you can’t say kill, murder, assassin and other words like that or they’ve threatened to ban the group.

my old facebook lol politics group got all of the admins (including me) stripped of admin rights and slowly strangled to death until we just agreed to delete it last year over posts that were, at this point, 11 years old

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 21, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah the corp response to the wide array of internet death threats on social media has been to throttle usage of those words, lol. Because if you just make it impossible for a user to say they will murder someone, then the issue is solved!

Unalive became a thing bc you couldn't say that someone had committed suicide/been murdered on TikTok without it flagging

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

credburn posted:

Where I live, you either use the self checkout or you wait 20 minutes for the single checker to deal with the line of people that is so long it renders an entire aisle unusable.

This is often what I'm forced to deal with as a result of my stubbornness, but gently caress em. I got the time, I'll clog up the store with these other olds and contribute to the inconvenience of not enough cashiers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

"They" being the admins for the group itself? Facebook doesn't give a poo poo.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

credburn posted:

It’s the group, Facebook auto moderation absolutely does give a poo poo. The group has gotten several strikes and has a notice that it is in danger of being deleted. They had to turn on manual approval for posts to stop the strikes.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

credburn posted:

the only administration actions the admins of my politics group were allowed by the end was to permanently close the group, we couldn't even change the name, allow manual approval for posts or change the loving banner anymore

weekly strikes for 10 year old posts

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Facebook is absolutely not threatening to shut down your Baldur's Gate group because you're talking about Baldur's Gate stuff.

I'm in real toxic awful Facebook groups and they don't get flagged, not even when some chud outright says we should kill the homeless in our town.

I thought the flagging/censoring stuff only happens when you try to monetize your thing?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Oh you got me I just made up that weirdly specific lie for no reason

You’re an idiot

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lol you use facebook? LOLOLOLOL stupid boomers go lick lead paint.

edit: Don't actually do that, I don't want anyone accusing me of that being the equivalent of saying go kill yourself. Just I don't know stare at the wall or something more entertaining / less damaging to yourself than using facebook.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 21, 2023

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

If you just use terms like leftists instead of character names, you'll be fine, they don't care about that

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

At least in my local supermarkets in the UK, self checkouts have got better in the last 10 years I reckon. Bigger packing areas, more responsive screens, fewer “unexpected item” warnings. My local Tesco even has ones designed for trolleys rather than baskets, with a parking spot for the trolley and enough space in the bagging area for a whole trolley worth.

Yeah, they just installed one in the Aldi here and it's smooth. Even worked out that I can hang my bike bags on the back of the bagging area and pack straight into them, which is cool. Quick and easy.

The tesco one which has been in forever flags bleedin' everything though because it hates the bags. What a pain.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Lol you use facebook? LOLOLOLOL stupid boomers go lick lead paint.

edit: Don't actually do that, I don't want anyone excusing me of that being the equivalent of saying go kill yourself.

I just interpreted it as you wanting me to have bad opinions on the internet but don’t worry I didn’t need to lick lead paint for that

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

It’s the group, Facebook auto moderation absolutely does give a poo poo. The group has gotten several strikes and has a notice that it is in danger of being deleted. They had to turn on manual approval for posts to stop the strikes.

Yeah this was a problem for the Radio War Nerd group, which is a history/current events podcast and attracts discussion on those topics lol.

But yeah, it definitely helps if you replace the nouns with outgroups. Instead of saying "kill goblins" you say "kill homeless". Keep it right wing and you'll skate on through.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah, they just installed one in the Aldi here and it's smooth. Even worked out that I can hang my bike bags on the back of the bagging area and pack straight into them, which is cool. Quick and easy.

The tesco one which has been in forever flags bleedin' everything though because it hates the bags. What a pain.

Yeah, the Aldi checkouts just basically work; the Tesco ones tell you to place your bag, then they whine and bitch at you that there's something in the bagging area.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

credburn posted:

I thought the flagging/censoring stuff only happens when you try to monetize your thing?

it happens whenever the algorithm targets you, and then it's loving relentless

we got dinged for 10 year old Jacobin articles posted with no comment and nobody could figure out wtf it even was

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I haven't been into the office in weeks until today (Thanksgiving office luncheon lol). At the gas station near the office, they installed a new register where you just lay down what you're buying and the camera (I guess?) recognizes everything and rings it up. If it's accurate, this is the kind of self service I would gladly use every day.

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018

Modal Auxiliary posted:

My self-checkout has two assistants and a designated security guard and for the life of me I cannot fathom how that is cheaper or more efficient than just staffing three regular checkout registers. Especially when you factor in how much poo poo people are stealing at the self-checkout.

it's not just the self checkout, every major department and grocery store is run like a prison now. i made the mistake of going to the "bath and beauty" section of walmart recently and got glared at like i walked in wearing a cartoon burglar outfit by an employee whose only purpose seemed to be aggressively glaring at people. i was like drat is this what it's like to be black

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Manky Tungeon posted:

it's not just the self checkout, every major department and grocery store is run like a prison now. i made the mistake of going to the "bath and beauty" section of walmart recently and got glared at like i walked in wearing a cartoon burglar outfit by an employee whose only purpose seemed to be aggressively glaring at people. i was like drat is this what it's like to be black

Can I help you? Maybe more than once. Even if you can help me I'm probably going to say no automatically.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 22, 2023

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Manky Tungeon posted:

i was like drat is this what it's like to be black

I'm not black but I learned a long time ago that whenever I get that feeling, it's still 10 times worse for minorities. When they treat white people like dirt, minorities are treated like manure sprayed by a skunk.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm staying in a hotel for the first time since 2019.

The price for a hotel room has gotten much, much shittier. Also they're out of bottled water somehow.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
When I was a kid in a tiny town I thought our single grocery store owned by the town's wealthiest family was lame and corny and would drive 20 minutes to the county seat to go to Walmart.

Visiting home as an adult though it's like a time capsule back to when service was a concept that still applied to retail. They have baggers! Two old ladies manning the booze/cigarette counter at all times! No self checkout! Holy poo poo there's the manager walking around helping people, I know that guy! gently caress yeah I'll buy groceries when I'm here before driving all the way back home, these are my people!

So of course they sold to a regional chain last month.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They closed the little grocery store in my parents small town last year because it turned out the old couple running it forever had basically been doing it as a hobby for a while now and they decided that they couldn’t afford to lose money on it any more.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What happens when stores don't even have employees working there? It's just big warehouses and no people?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

... that needs 8 hours of "media" per person per day ...

its more than 8 hours of media because social media and even old media can get user engagement from people during non sleeping hours. hell there's some weird techbro sleeping apps too so even sleep is getting data mined somehow.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Outpost22 posted:

What happens when stores don't even have employees working there? It's just big warehouses and no people?

No customers. No stock. All profit. Leasing the building from themselves. Commercial real estate always wins.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

I'm stealing stuff on principle

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Is it just me or do Dollar General stores all get worse and worse looking in almost instantanous short order?

I'm now convinced the reason they build so many is because it's easier than trying to fix up the one half a mile away to not look like a cluttered mess.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is it just me or do Dollar General stores all get worse and worse looking in almost instantanous short order?

I'm now convinced the reason they build so many is because it's easier than trying to fix up the one half a mile away to not look like a cluttered mess.

The john Oliver from last week about dollar stores was honestly eye opening. Really crazy poo poo, like it is sometimes a constant nightmare warzone in these places.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

No matter how staffed or understaffed a self checkout is I haven’t paid for a greeting card in like 8 years and I don’t plan to start

Does anybody actually like these loving things, they usually contain something so trite and maudlin as to be offensive. The Voight-Kampff test is actually being shown a Hallmark card. If you are touched by it the bladerunner comes and puts a bullet in your head.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Woolie Wool posted:

Does anybody actually like these loving things, they usually contain something so trite and maudlin as to be offensive. The Voight-Kampff test is actually being shown a Hallmark card. If you are touched by it the bladerunner comes and puts a bullet in your head.

It's nice when you get one

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lettuce is expensive now

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BONE DOG posted:

Lettuce is expensive now

They lettuce eat cake now, it's cheaper.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

They lettuce eat cake now, it's cheaper.

But how

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
$90 for lettuce!?!?! 😂 🤣 😂 😂 😂 🤣

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

They're a good way to support local artists. Those gift shops that sell local type stuff always seem to have a rack of them and they usually just have some art on the front and no trite message inside so you use them for anything.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

corn syrup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dang they put that poo poo in everything now