Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

atomicpile posted:

I decided to give in a pay for premium but then i saw that it had gotten more expensive and is now $18.99 which I'm not willing to pay.

Jesus, I didn't know it was that expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
And that's their "won't you please consider this" type price before they ramp it up.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Khanstant posted:

And that's their "won't you please consider this" type price before they ramp it up.

:psyduck:

For youtube? wtf

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Well you see YouTube has to pay all their staff for the content they create and license fees, like Netflix.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think we can agree that youtube should also charge youtubers hosting fees.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This has to be the first time in history I've seen something cheaper in Canada than America.

According to my searches it's still only 13bux Canadian which is like 9 bucks American or something.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Youtube should be nationalized and Google should be dismantled :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah for real, letting these companies monopolize what are basically the essential basics of the modern web is a bad move
A simple executive tax could easily cover a public YouTube for the world to use.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Duck and Cover posted:

I think we can agree that youtube should also charge youtubers hosting fees.

this would probably be their salty response, yes, but it's a bluff becase they also know the moment they did this the creators would drop away to tiktok and never come back

the only reason their platform remains even mildly relevant in 2023 is that it's technically 'free to use' for content creators, bc they literally keep the whole machine running

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

this would probably be their salty response, yes, but it's a bluff becase they also know the moment they did this the creators would drop away to tiktok and never come back

the only reason their platform remains even mildly relevant in 2023 is that it's technically 'free to use' for content creators, bc they literally keep the whole machine running

I'd like to see them try as I'm not sure it's possible for one of the modern social media behemoths to actually fall. Twitter, youtube, facebook, are here to stay, well maybe not facebook.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Why does the code not appear if you pretend to be Chrome then?

chrome has more features for tracking and reporting back what you click on. gotta polyfill that for other browsers

e: oh, wait, no it looks every browser has some form of hyperlink auditing now. loving webdev

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 21, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Duck and Cover posted:

I'd like to see them try as I'm not sure it's possible for one of the modern social media behemoths to actually fall. Twitter, youtube, facebook, are here to stay, well maybe not facebook.

Twitter is at least dying. Not as fast as you'd expect a site devoted to Nazism to die, but user numbers just keep falling month over month

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Welp, getting the delay now even when pretending to be Chrome. Guess they fixed it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Twitter is at least dying. Not as fast as you'd expect a site devoted to Nazism to die, but user numbers just keep falling month over month

Dying is not dead and there's a lot of blood to lose before it dies. Elon will keep hacking away so it might happen.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
No idea what those delays are supposed to be, and ublock origin + YT have been working perfectly over the last week or so like in the good old days.
I guess being in the EU with all their semi-sensible rules paid off at last :toot:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Jesus, I didn't know it was that expensive.

Doesn't that also include YT Music, which no one ever asked for or uses?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

No idea what those delays are supposed to be, and ublock origin + YT have been working perfectly over the last week or so like in the good old days.
I guess being in the EU with all their semi-sensible rules paid off at last :toot:

Doesn't that also include YT Music, which no one ever asked for or uses?

Yt premium always included yt music

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Space Kablooey posted:

Yt premium always included yt music

FWIW even if you exclude the ~$5 of my Pandora Plus membership, YT Premium is still more than I would pay for what it offers.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah agreed. I had a free trial of yt premium and even then i felt ripped off

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I've been using brave browser on my phone for YouTube and it's been great

The only annoying thing when playing alot of music in a list is occasionally it stops and a pop up asks me if I'm still actually watching.

Is there anyway to stop that?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Stop using the transphobe Bitcoin browser

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I think firefox has something that autoskips those, perhaps made by the same p[eeps that re-enable rightclick on some sites, at least, i think i saw something like that recently, but, y'know: senility and so on

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Space Kablooey posted:

Stop using the transphobe Bitcoin browser

Lol what

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Yeah for real, letting these companies monopolize what are basically the essential basics of the modern web is a bad move
A simple executive tax could easily cover a public YouTube for the world to use.

A government run youtube does run into first amendment issues. Youtube can (theoretically) ban Nazis and other heinous poo poo, the government cannot. So as bad as youtube is now, government youtube would likely be even worse for garbge.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bloopsy posted:

Lol what

It’s :goonsay:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Random Stranger posted:

A government run youtube does run into first amendment issues. Youtube can (theoretically) ban Nazis and other heinous poo poo, the government cannot. So as bad as youtube is now, government youtube would likely be even worse for garbge.

The government can't ban them, YouTube can't not promote them. I choose public utility.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bloopsy posted:

Lol what

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/03/mozilla-employees-to-brendan-eich-step-down/

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3117044/ad-blocking-brave-browser-tests-users-to-sites-micro-payments.html

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bloopsy posted:

Lol what

Brave was started after Brandon Eich got booted from mozilla because he donated to anti-gay causes and political candidates. (Not anti-trans, but this was 15 years ago before trans panic became the new chud obsession.)

Brave itself was all about being the crypto browser. They have/had their own crypto-coin (which they used to steal money by allowing people to "donate" to content creators, then just keeping it until said creators actually did something to get it). They integrate a bunch of crypto-wallet and market stuff (and then did stuff like replace links to other crypto markets with their own affiliate links).

Don't use brave. Not because it's founded by a conservative (half the other software you use was made by libertarian techbros). But because they've done some untrustable poo poo in the past and shown themselves to be grifters.

edit: oh, looks like they've moved on from crypto grifting to installing a VPN service without consent

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 22, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

First, taxpayer funding doesn't mean congress runs the dang website.

Second, not everyone government has the same idiotic protections for hate speech and would have no problem removing Nazi poo poo.

Lastly like the law and Constitution or your rights matter anymore. Government ended like 8 years ago and just because suckers still try and act like law and order are in place doesn't mean it actually is

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are they doing something with video buffering now? If I play a video in Chrome with uBlock Origin fully up-to-date it buffers every 10s or so and rarely recovers. Do it in a incognito window and it plays fine after the adverts have shown.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Thanks Ants posted:

Are they doing something with video buffering now? If I play a video in Chrome with uBlock Origin fully up-to-date it buffers every 10s or so and rarely recovers. Do it in a incognito window and it plays fine after the adverts have shown.

got some bad news for you about chrome and ublock origin in the near future

https://developer.chrome.com/blog/resuming-the-transition-to-mv3/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just switch to Firefox; it's not like you're being asked to install Linux, it's 99% the same as Chrome but not run by shitheads. On launch it imports your bookmarks/passwords and can sync them to a free account like Google does. The Windows and Android versions are both OK and are able the handle me having 999+ open tabs like God intended.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can it import ancient tabs, I've been cultivating a few for a couple years now and never know when I might read them or order those stickers.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Khanstant posted:

Can it import ancient tabs, I've been cultivating a few for a couple years now and never know when I might read them or order those stickers.

tab people usually don’t know this, but you can save all of those as bookmarks

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wow. That was super easy to import just about everything from Chrome to Firefox. Took like 5 seconds.

To be honest, the only reason I switched from Firefox to Chrome was in 2010 when I got a job at Google and that's what they had so I just got used to it and switched at home. Back then I think FF still had memory leak issues and it was a hog on resources in general.

I never got on the Chrome bandwagon because I hated the interface and I still use custom CSS in Firefox to restore the Firefox 3 user interface layout because Chrome's tabs on top and hamburger menu violate every principle of user interface design in a desktop OS (especially the separation of interface and content).

No I will not change. I even have a KDE theme to make Linux look like Windows 2000. gently caress the future.

itry posted:

Youtube should be nationalized and Google should be dismantled :colbert:

Then it will be lovely in the ways government services are lovely, enshittification is a public-private partnership.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 22, 2023

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

There is already a public youtube and it's called rutube and it's really great. It's the best

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zero VGS posted:

On launch it imports your bookmarks/passwords and can sync them to a free account like Google does.

As a dedicated Firefox fan, I will say this: firefox's password management kinda sucks and you should get a password manager. Bitwarden is good and free, 1password is even better but has a subscription, and keepass is free and good if you are enough of a nerd.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

As a dedicated Firefox fan, I will say this: firefox's password management kinda sucks and you should get a password manager. Bitwarden is good and free, 1password is even better but has a subscription, and keepass is free and good if you are enough of a nerd.

I've never had an issue except for occasionally when Firefox won't know to autofill something. But it is quick to get into the list of stored passwords in those occasions. My friend kept telling me to use LastPass up until they were hacked.

GABA ghoul posted:

There is already a public youtube and it's called rutube and it's really great. It's the best

Stupid question but can that PeerTube thing keep scaling? It already runs better for me than YouTube does but I'm wondering how the network can keep adding more and more content.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Klyith posted:

keepass is free and good if you are enough of a nerd.

I've been using this for years. Good stuff.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
keep-rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

busalover posted:

keep-rear end

It's Keep-rear end 2 now.