Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
lol this was just published

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37650700/

quote:

In the first case, a man who developed microsmia after a respiratory infection experienced improvement in smell after the use of 6 g of psilocybin containing mushrooms. In the second case, a woman with anosmia since childhood reported olfactory improvement after ingestion of 100 µg of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD). In the third case, a woman with COVID-19-related anosmia reported olfactory improvement after microdosing 0.1 g of psilocybin mushrooms three times.

gonna have to read up on this while I wait around and hopefully recover. I'm prone to anxiety but I also seem to be prone to weird physical and neurological issues so I am.... anxious and pessimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Cabbages and Kings posted:

gonna have to read up on this while I wait around and hopefully recover. I'm prone to anxiety but I also seem to be prone to weird physical and neurological issues so I am.... anxious and pessimistic.

another thing to consider is that your brain is taking a beating as well as your body and physically needs to recover, so you've got to try and shut that down as much as possible, just strive to be as thoughtless and immobile as is humanly possible

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gravid Topiary posted:

another thing to consider is that your brain is taking a beating as well as your body and physically needs to recover, so you've got to try and shut that down as much as possible, just strive to be as thoughtless and immobile as is humanly possible

Yeah this. Treat yourself like the heroine of a Brontë novel and just hole up in bed sleeping as much as you’re able. Also don’t forget to stay hydrated.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Feeling kinda bummed today that we're basically exactly where we were a year ago as far as long term treatments and prospects go. Nasal sprays are still in the "Can't hurt but who knows if they really help" category. Vaccines are insufficient and almost no one gets them anyway. Paxlovid helps if you can get it but access isn't great. And there are no 2nd generation vaccines or nasal vaccines coming online. This is just life now.
As others posted, yeah it sucks and I feel worse than last year.

My kids are done with masks. The peer pressure, normalization, whatever it is, got to them. My youngest in daycare would wear their mask in the entry/hallway and then ditch it right after drop off. My oldest wears it at drop off but it's gone at pick up. Pictures from daycare, school, field trips, random reports, and not a mask in sight. And in the coming weeks with school closures, sleepovers are planned, no masks, no testing, nothing. NOBODY CARES

Doing my best nasal spraying when I pick them up or prior/post social events but it's only a matter of time before we get hit again.

:theroni:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tzen posted:

As others posted, yeah it sucks and I feel worse than last year.

My kids are done with masks. The peer pressure, normalization, whatever it is, got to them. My youngest in daycare would wear their mask in the entry/hallway and then ditch it right after drop off. My oldest wears it at drop off but it's gone at pick up. Pictures from daycare, school, field trips, random reports, and not a mask in sight. And in the coming weeks with school closures, sleepovers are planned, no masks, no testing, nothing. NOBODY CARES

Doing my best nasal spraying when I pick them up or prior/post social events but it's only a matter of time before we get hit again.

:theroni:

The one thing I am forever grateful for is my kids being stalwart maskers. Say what you will about teenagers and peer pressure my kids have a great friend group and don’t hear anything about the masks, positive or negative. It’s just something they do.

And it’s not like they’re shut ins either. They go to after school clubs, one was in the school musical and even got a speaking part, they go on field trips, hang out with friends, play sports, go to homecoming etc. Sleepovers are the one thing we don’t do anymore (unless it’s a camp out in the backyard). I’m actually worried about my kid going off to college because last time she got Covid was at a summer camp in a dorm. She even had a single and still managed to get it. I have no idea how college kids are surviving this; most of them have gone back to normal with a vengeance as far as can tell, though it does seem like places that would usually be open til the wee hours of the morning are down to like midnight at the latest anymore. Which is itself due to Covid making the work force all ‘close at 3am? Yeah nah I’ve got five other jobs in a five mile radius that’ll pay me the same and close at 9.’ So while inconvenient at times it’s probably a net good.

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

It's weird, I can't tell if my smell is going, or just shifting back and forth. I was able to smell coffee grounds, then I poured some coffee and it tasted like water; then I smelled coffee grounds again and could not. But, at that point I could (faintly) smell vinegar, which I hadn't been able to smell a half hour earlier.

My close friend's experience with covid was like that. They'd have curry and kind of taste/smell it but not taste a soda later that same day at all. Eventually their sense of taste and smell was just gone but it came back in less than 2 months. They tested positive for a whole rear end month though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
thanksgiving is loving hard in the plague times, christmas I’m sure will be again too.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
this year i'm just doing a cornish hen

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Rescue Toaster posted:

Are you sure it's not 100%? I literally have never heard of a case of someone not having significant or major rebound after the pax prescription ends. It seems like it's close to 100% in this thread anyway.

No rebound on a 5 day course in February 2023, already had long covid from Jan 2022 infection

Boyfriend had no rebound on a 10 day course in June.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Rescue Toaster posted:

Are you sure it's not 100%? I literally have never heard of a case of someone not having significant or major rebound after the pax prescription ends. It seems like it's close to 100% in this thread anyway.

no rebound on a 10 day course, covid symptoms resolved in 24hr leaving only secondary infection symptoms for a week+, no apparent long covid a month later

Fur20 posted:

it's because, language is power. train the public to perceive it as a result of the medicine, and not the illness, and they will disfavor the cure while braving the actual cause. whether or not the cure is used, is irrelevant to the short-term projections of capital. people avoiding what is basically the modern equivalent of the plague, however, is completely relevant

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
god I’m so upset for all you folks being forced to eat inside barefaced by your loved ones for no reason. real nightmares here.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Was it surprising though?

Really?

When you think about it?

https://www.politico.eu/article/british-state-surprisingly-bad-at-responding-to-covid-19-inquiry-hears/ posted:

British state ‘surprisingly bad’ at responding to COVID-19, inquiry hears

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
lol (just for the headline)

https://slate.com/human-interest/2023/11/dear-prudence-covid-wedding.html posted:

Help! My Mom Keeps Tagging Me as “Sick With COVID” in My Brother’s Wedding Photos.
She will not let this go!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Vaccine rollout going a bit better, though it should be said that this is a survey (which tend to exaggerate active actions that should be taken and it meshes somewhat poorly with the KFF results mentioned):

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2023-11-21/covid-19-vaccine-uptake-disappointing-ahead-of-holidays-winter posted:

COVID-19 Vaccine Uptake ‘Disappointing’ Ahead of Holidays, Winter
As of mid-November, nearly 15% of adults and more than 5% of children received the latest updated COVID-19 vaccine – well behind uptake of the flu shot.

COVID-19 vaccine uptake this fall is perhaps not what many had hoped it would be.

As of mid-November, nearly 15% of adults and more than 5% of children received an updated COVID-19 shot since they were authorized in mid-September, according to national survey data. The rates appear to be on track with the rollout of the previous updated COVID-19 shot but fall significantly short of the flu vaccine coverage so far this season.
(..)
The trend is reflected in a recent survey from KFF that found that about half of previously vaccinated people cite a lack of worry about COVID-19 as a reason for why they haven’t received the latest shot.
(..)
“I think big picture prediction-wise, lower vaccine coverage now means more COVID this winter,” Smith says.

:hmmrona:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
You know, I’d wondered what was happening with COVID in Ukraine since it seems like an active war zone in a cold weather climate is perfect conditions for constant unmitigated spread but we never hear about it and well.

https://twitter.com/mazzenilsson/status/1726938073349652676?s=46&t=vNKUIzc4nvqsPFaYLiXegw

Turns out the answer is they are just getting it all the time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tuyop posted:

god I’m so upset for all you folks being forced to eat inside barefaced by your loved ones for no reason. real nightmares here.

it’s a bit overwhelming but we manage

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
anecdotally the illnesses are ramping up. coughing is increasing in my office, people i know in the past week have gotten sick enough to not do anything

also this graph from Michigan is showing the plateau going up

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusMichigan/s/YUblGaw7J4

what do people use to phone post images?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you can use the short cuts app to take an image from your phone and create an imgur url to post

like this

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I got my booster 2 weeks before my surgery was scheduled for 10/27 when cases were down, then the doctor rescheduled it for 11/30 and I’m definitely gonna get someone’s thanksgiving covid infection now

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

It's like covid: you have to survive every time, but it only has to kill you once.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

nu-plague just dropped

http://www.promedmail.org/post/8713261

quote:

Date: Tue 21 Nov 2023 17:37 CST
Source: FTV News [in Chinese, machine trans., abridged, edited]
https://www.ftvnews.com.tw/news/detail/2023B21I19M1

With the outbreak of pneumonia in China, children's hospitals in Beijing, Liaoning and other places were overwhelmed with sick children, and schools and classes were on the verge of suspension. Parents questioned whether the authorities were covering up the epidemic.

In the early morning, Beijing Children's Hospital was still overcrowded with parents and children whose children had pneumonia and came to seek treatment. Mr. [W], a Beijing citizen: "Many, many are hospitalized. They don't cough and have no symptoms. They just have a high temperature (fever) and many develop pulmonary nodules."

The situation in Liaoning Province is also serious. The lobby of Dalian Children's Hospital is full of sick children receiving intravenous drips. There are also queues of patients at the traditional Chinese medicine hospitals and the central hospitals. A staff member of Dalian Central Hospital said: "Patients have to wait in line for 2 hours, and we are all in the emergency department and there are no general outpatient clinics."

Some school classes have even been canceled completely. Not only are all students sick, but teachers are also infected with pneumonia. ...

Mr. [W], a Beijing citizen: "Now you are not allowed to report to school. If you have any symptoms such as fever, cold, cough and then you are hospitalized, you can ask for leave..."

Since China stopped adhering to the "zero" policy at the beginning of the year [2023], epidemics such as influenza, mycoplasma, and bronchopneumonia have broken out from time to time. ...

--
Communicated by:
ProMED Rapporteur Dan Silver

[This report suggests a widespread outbreak of an undiagnosed respiratory illness in several areas in China as Beijing and Liaoning are almost 800 km apart. It is not at all clear when this outbreak started as it would be unusual for so many children to be affected so quickly. The report does not say that any adults were affected suggesting some exposure at the schools. ProMED awaits more definitive information about the etiology and scope of this concerning illness in China.

It is too early to project whether this could be another pandemic but as a wise influenza virologist once said to me "The pandemic clock is ticking, we just do not know what time it is."

ProMED thanks Dan Silver for the post. - Mod. LL

Griz
May 21, 2001

shazbot posted:

I got my booster 2 weeks before my surgery was scheduled for 10/27 when cases were down, then the doctor rescheduled it for 11/30 and I’m definitely gonna get someone’s thanksgiving covid infection now

I got pfizer in September and now I'm thinking about getting moth juice at the start of January since I have to go for surgery two weeks later

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Option 1: Yawn, wake me up when it's even 25% as transmissible as covid, this poo poo ain't even getting through a cloth mask

Option 2: It's just covid

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rochallor posted:

Option 1: Yawn, wake me up when it's even 25% as transmissible as covid, this poo poo ain't even getting through a cloth mask

lol yeah my thoughts exactly

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

euphronius posted:

you can use the short cuts app to take an image from your phone and create an imgur url to post

like this

drat thanks.

lol Michigan

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Rochallor posted:

:haibrow:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

for anyone else that wants to set up a short cut here is what I use

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

lol that's a gargantuan spread of doses there. 6g is a heroic "murder my ego, meet god and kill him" dose, and 0.1g is teetering on homeopathic levels of placebo.

I do 2g every couple months and it does incredible things for the anxiety I get from my tinnitus, and I haven't got COVID yet somehow. mushrooms helping to restore sensory inputs makes a lot of sense considering psilocybin removes the guardrails from your senses. hope it catches on.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Louisgod posted:

lol that's a gargantuan spread of doses there. 6g is a heroic "murder my ego, meet god and kill him" dose, and 0.1g is teetering on homeopathic levels of placebo.

I do 2g every couple months and it does incredible things for the anxiety I get from my tinnitus, and I haven't got COVID yet somehow. mushrooms helping to restore sensory inputs makes a lot of sense considering psilocybin removes the guardrails from your senses. hope it catches on.

Yeah, my lifetime high was 8g but that was in 2003.

Hopefully I don't end up needing to mess with this but I'd probably start at 2-3g. Or like 100ug of acid.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

disability numbers looking bad? change how disability reporting happens, I guess!

https://med-mastodon.com/@luckytran/111455202745410675

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I just left Costco (the day before Thanksgiving, because I am a fool) with an arm full of moth juice. My insurance even covered it, which surprised the hell out of me, since I've already had the new monovalent.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

He looks like he's trying to call a timeout.

Can you do that in a war?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

https://x.com/DrEricDing/status/1727369298988163294?s=20

first fully reopened winter lookin good

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Maybe we should shut down air travel and restore public health

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

tuyop posted:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What do you do, when you don't want to be the only guy masking? Just not go to events? That's what I've been doing so far, but I really miss out on some stuff, especially excursions to potential workplaces which our university's student organization arranges to different IT companies.

Can't afford to be sick at the moment, and covid wastewater spike is the largest ever recorded in Finland. No one is going to do my job if I'm sick, and last year I got a sick eye infection which took eventually like 6+ months to completely get "back to normal". I don't want a repeat of that especially.

So many people all around are sick, and get sick, compared to summer. It's incredible. So many friends etc. too. Many say they haven't been this sick in quite a while, especially the high fever sucks, they tell.

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 19:59 on Nov 22, 2023

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
oh no got my first in person meeting with my ceo and like 50 other people after 3.5 years of WFH

sorry will not be able to attend im sick that day

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ihmemies posted:

What do you do, when you don't want to be the only guy masking? Just not go to events? That's what I've been doing so far, but I really miss out on some stuff, especially excursions to potential workplaces which our university's student organization arranges to different IT firms.

Can't afford to be sick at the moment, and covid wastewater spike is the largest ever recorded in Finland. No one is going to do my job if I'm sick, and last year I got a sick eye infection which took eventually like 6+ months to completely get "back to normal". I don't want a repeat of that especially.

Embrace being the one weirdo with a mask on.

if people give you concerned looks, point to yourself and say “don’t worry, I’m not sick, I’m just being paranoid”

if someone asks about it, mention how it took you 6 months to recover the last time you got Covid

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

What do you do, when you don't want to be the only guy masking?

What Steve said: mask with confidence!

Any time I'm spending time with my in-laws, I'm 100% masked indoors. It's not always comfortable, but it doesn't get in the way of being social and friendly. My plan for Thanksgiving is to eat in the garage away from everyone else. I'm sure they'd rather have me at the dinner table, but in my experience, folks are generally glad you're just making the effort to be present.

Find an excuse that works well for you, whether it's healthy paranoia or specific health issues you're trying to avoid. Hopefully no one faults you for wanting a healthier life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

if someone asks about it, mention how it took you 6 months to recover the last time you got Covid

I haved not actually managed to generate a positive covid test result yet, from home tests or those higher fidelity tests done by healthcare, and I've done quite a lot of them. Last year while I was especially sick, I did 4 negative home tests. Of course it's extremely unlikely that I haven't had covid, but still. I can't remember last time I've had actually fever.

Maybe the mask usage would not be that bad. I was the weird guy at school, and still am. I'm just trying to umm, reduce the amount of weirdness, but it's sometimes a bit challenging :catstare: I hate peer pressure. Why people choose to be sick instead of using masks.