Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Not sure if this was discussed, but I had a good chuckle imagining the kind of person who would be piss-boiled about this from at least two different angles

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1726684514049569209?t=DZefW0nhUMN1hcRtTYurqQ&s=19

E: 312 AD Constantine I becomes a Christian, which led to a lot more dumb poo poo.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

within six months, I expect someone will demand I apologize for the crimes of My People
Oh nice, we're back to using autism as a slur, are we?

Tesseraction posted:

counterpoint: fuk u i'm in ur bed and i'm not leaving
:q:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Sucks to hear about the 4 kids, their BBC pics make them look like LotR Hobbits.

As for kid car stories, back in the early 60s my dad was working in a factory. He was the eldest of seven, and the only one with a car at the time.
One night a brother asked for the car to go out to a dance in another town.
Dad needed the car the next day for work so said no.
Skip jump to next morning, Dad wakes up, sees the car is gone, and freaks out.
Brother who asked for car is in bed, so wtf happened.

Turns out brother (who was about 17) decided to take the car anyway, goes off to the dance, meets some girl, offers her a drive around to impress her.
There was a private airstrip of a few flat fields combined together, had no security fencing or such, and cars would go there to speed up and down.
Another thing to note is that it wasn't lit, no street lamps or any illumination nearby. So complete dark.
So he takes the girl there, them both drunk, races a bit around, hits a mound of gravel, gets the car stuck on it half overturned.
Both thankfully ok, get out, and just flee from the scene. Somehow he got a way home and collapsed into bed drunk not telling anyone
Dad is trying to get alternate transport to work when the cops arrive at the door, saying the car is hosed, on a mound of gravel 20 mile away on private land.
Dad hasn't a clue what the gently caress happened, and his dad (my grandad) beats him for going out when he shouldn't have and wrecking the car.
Dad swears up and down he hasn't a clue what the gently caress happened, and goes off to work.
Hours later the brother sobers up and comes down hungover and covered in dirt and whatnot, and the penny drops.

Even stranger, when they went to collect the car, the gravel mound was in a spot where it was vast tracts of safe drivable land all around.
It would be harder to hit the mound if you were trying to in the dark, than to hit it at random speeding around this massive open area like what happened.

fuckin hell what a dick lool

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've never felt that the few hundred quid a month that I'd get from it would be worth the inconvenience of having a semi-stranger hanging out in your house full time but then, I'm not really a people person.

Same here. I tend to not count having lodgers as landlordism though; you're sharing your house with them so it's not on a par with hoarding multiple houses and renting them out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Runcible Cat posted:

Same here. I tend to not count having lodgers as landlordism though; you're sharing your house with them so it's not on a par with hoarding multiple houses and renting them out.

Eh if you've got some poorer people paying your mortgage it's still not exactly great, but it's a sliding scale. If you're basically charging a lodger the bare minimum and not being a oval office then it's not so bad but then how often does that actually happen

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Cookie Cutter posted:

The Dinner Party/Pricey Niche Board Game social scene seems to be a great echo chamber for this stuff in one's spare time, from the few times I've had the misfortune of encountering it.

ime the general attendance at board game nights are pretty queer and extremely leftist

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Is there some sort of brain gym you go to to keep your bad idea lobe engorged?
The mind palace, but it's palace as in gin palace rather than the method of loci technique.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Chubby Henparty posted:

Mine get chucked out whenever they are declared too-full-of-gym-stank despite regular washing and love and that was my favourite novelty t-shirt from whatever I was into in 2014, damnit.

I wear my clothes "to destruction". I have a few tidy bits for work etc but outside of that more than a few of my t-shirts look as if the moths have been having a feast.
I did surrender and buy 2 new t-shirts last year from Tesco.

Sadly, all my black beskulled t-shirts have long since bitten the dust. And my painted leather jacket lives on with the painted back patch displayed as an artwork while the rest has gone to the skips (it got mildew and no amount of cleaning would get the mildew off).

My favourite fleece is at least 20 years old though I did have to get the zip replaced a couple of years ago.

I hate clothes shopping much to the grief of female relations & friends. Sister had a good old rant about me to my mother sometime ago because I had wandered off when she and my niece spent an HOUR trying on fancy bras while I was just supposed to sit there and wait, bored out of my brains. Just grab a sports bra and go! Nobody's looking at the wretched things after the first couple of weeks with a new chap.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've never felt that the few hundred quid a month that I'd get from it would be worth the inconvenience of having a semi-stranger hanging out in your house full time but then, I'm not really a people person.

Apart from not having any space - yeah they always want to cook and I find the smell of food cooking very offputting - especially soup. Used to flat share with a girl who was always cooking absolutely rank fish. (Our cooker was in the living room so no avoiding the stench).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 22, 2023

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Julio Cruz posted:

ime the general attendance at board game nights are pretty queer and extremely leftist

Then you have been fortunate my friend, the ones I've ended up at have been highly Centrist->Shy Tory affairs, queer attendees included.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i actually have a bunch of long-sleeves from topman i bought like 15 years ago that are still in pretty good nick. honestly very surprising

What's frustrating is that unless you are quite careful, places that used to be fair quality are now a lot worse as they're all chasing lower costs and fast fashion business models. So when you do end up needing to replace things, they last half the time. I've got three H&M jackets that I bought twenty years ago, all of which are still in pretty good condition - but the quality is far beyond current H&M (or similar types of store). Similarly some older trousers are still fine, but newer ones from a similar shop are crap quality. Need to buy from better companies (like the ones mentioned) to get stuff that lasts.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The leftists have just forcefemmed an emperor Norman!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

The mind palace, but it's palace as in gin palace rather than the method of loci technique.
My mind palace is a crack den infested with constantly screaming opossums.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Message to the leaders of earth, you have three days to overturn capitalism or I shall utilize my forcefemming machine to turn one of you into a catgirl every hour.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It is almost funny in a horrifying way how they carefully explain all the reasons that the emperor would have wanted female pronouns, but then agressively use he/him pronouns in the article.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Message to the leaders of earth, you have three days to overturn capitalism or I shall utilize my forcefemming machine to turn one of you into a catgirl every hour.

I think traditionally there has to be a threat of undesired consequences in extortion for it to be really effective.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*points at passing head of state* transed

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Corbyn wanted to nationalise cat girls.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pearson is on a roll

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

smellmycheese posted:

Pearson is on a roll

Stopped clock imo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
In my house we put the decorations up no earlier than the 23rd, and they were down by the 5th of Jan.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Pearson is on a roll

When precisely is the right time to start the gaudy winter festivities that isn't too early (depraved, degenerate) nor too late (woke war on Christendom) ?

Flicking a big switch taht says "Xmas Lights" on and off and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

She's not wrong there. It's insane that we spend 1/6th of the year edging until the big day. No El November.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wachter posted:

It's insane that we spend 1/6th of the year edging

Those are rookie numbers

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

If you have a proper tree it's madness to try to keep it looking decent for 4/5 weeks. Go as late as possible imo and then enjoy it into January until it starts getting droopy

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

UKMT Winter: Enjoy it into January until it starts getting droopy

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

being a fellow possessed of a rotund jocularity I love christmas, but sustained enthusiasm for 6 weeks isnt possible

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Are we still talking about gooning?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Pearson is on a roll

Which morals? I would have thought from a Christian perspective the massive decline in murder and especially infanticide rates compared to even half a century ago would have been of more moral significance than tree go up early, so it can't be that.

Maybe whatever cultus Pearson is part of is appalled at different things though.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
The estate down the road has a mish-mash of skeletons and santas, it's very mixed messaging

I'm thinking people spend so much on these things that they keep them up as long as possible

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's my first time in ten years not working the retail rush and it's very nice to have christmas just sort of sneak up on you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends if it's sneaking up on you to stab you in the kidney and steal your wallet or something.

I've read the article and I still can't figure it out. She went to a Christmas illuminations event with a Christmas market and is appalled that they're doing Christmas things there. There must be more to it than that. Either that or her mind is entirely spiders.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
The cultural right wing is all over cancel culture and wokeness but they're the ones that demand a monopoly on opinion

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

keep punching joe posted:

In my house we put the decorations up no earlier than the 23rd, and they were down by the 5th of Jan.

Same when we used to do decorations as a kid. Usually they'd go up Christmas Eve

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

Depends if it's sneaking up on you to stab you in the kidney and steal your wallet or something.

I've read the article and I still can't figure it out. She went to a Christmas illuminations event with a Christmas market and is appalled that they're doing Christmas things there. There must be more to it than that. Either that or her mind is entirely spiders.

It’s the latter. She is completely unhinged, like most of her fellow Telegraph columnists. There’s a whiff of “gotta crank out 1000 words about something by 4pm” about that Xmas one too

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cookie Cutter posted:

Then you have been fortunate my friend, the ones I've ended up at have been highly Centrist->Shy Tory affairs, queer attendees included.

Wonder if it depends on the board game. Do tories play different types. What game do the communists play

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Her one last year was about how loading the dishwasher was her least favourite Christmas task.

If metal box that go brr is the most difficult thing she has to do over the holidays then you'd think she'd have a lot of spare time to produce something less meandering than "the council did the thing they do every year at about the same time, moral degen" in between double gin and tonics.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Putting up decorations 2 days before Christmas is insane. Hardly seems worth the time.

Putting them up in November is gauche.

Early December is the sweet spot

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Christmas starts when the first advent calendar chocolate gets eaten: you can start in November if you want but you'll run out of energy before the big day.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not sure if this was discussed, but I had a good chuckle imagining the kind of person who would be piss-boiled about this from at least two different angles

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1726684514049569209?t=DZefW0nhUMN1hcRtTYurqQ&s=19

E: 312 AD Constantine I becomes a Christian, which led to a lot more dumb poo poo.

It's worth reading the few surviving Roman novels to get an idea of just how sexually weird the pre-Christian Romans were: The Satyricon and The Golden rear end (heh) etc. Also the random snippets of Roman life that come up: I loved the bit in the Satyricon where the protagonist ends up wandering around an art gallery like a modern tourist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Also the bit where he has a huge fallout with his boyfriend, so grabs a sword and goes storming round the streets looking for him until a Roman policeman confiscates the sword and sends him home, telling him to stop behaving like an idiot.