Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

sales numbers are wack because they are often an incomplete picture but you in particular strike me as someone who will use the nebulous shroud of cultural impact simply as a way to dress up your opinions in the veneer of fact

FFX voted as most popular FF in huge NHK Survey See also Yuna and Tidus being in Top 10 FF Characters of all time.
Third place last year in a different poll. Again with two FFX characters in Top 10.

I also have been talking FF forever so I remember when FFX was ranked as like the most emotional game ever by Famitsu. Tidus and Yuna also tend to place super high in any poll about favorite FF heroes or heroines.

FFX being incredibly popular is an obvious fact, not nebulous in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

it's a moot point in the end because there's never actually been a final fantasy game that was received badly enough for square enix not to give it 20 years of remasters. as much arguing as you can do over it there's not exactly a tales of the tempest where a game came out so badly it was effectively disowned, every single one of these games has found a niche

It does seem bizzare that there's apparently not enough of a demand for the Tales games to even get token remasters on modern systems outside of Vesperia and Symphonia. I'd always thought it was a pretty well regarded franchise

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

The Colonel posted:

it's a moot point in the end because there's never actually been a final fantasy game that was received badly enough for square enix not to give it 20 years of remasters. as much arguing as you can do over it there's not exactly a tales of the tempest where a game came out so badly it was effectively disowned, every single one of these games has found a niche

Mystic Quest

(They should've included MQ in the Pixel Remasters. Instead of FF2.)

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

NikkolasKing posted:

FFX voted as most popular FF in huge NHK Survey See also Yuna and Tidus being in Top 10 FF Characters of all time.
Third place last year in a different poll. Again with two FFX characters in Top 10.

I also have been talking FF forever so I remember when FFX was ranked as like the most emotional game ever by Famitsu. Tidus and Yuna also tend to place super high in any poll about favorite FF heroes or heroines.

FFX being incredibly popular is an obvious fact, not nebulous in the least.

im not talking about whether its actually popular, but your using that fact to then intuit that its a better game. which of course you dont get because as established many times over youre dumb as rocks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's annoying how quickly ff13 discussion erupts into plot arguments. i havent even played the game to be able to know whether anyone is wrong yet. save it for next year when i can also participate in regurgitating the same words about an xbox 360 game people have been weirdly hung up over for a decade

No Dignity posted:

It does seem bizzare that there's apparently not enough of a demand for the Tales games to even get token remasters on modern systems outside of Vesperia and Symphonia. I'd always thought it was a pretty well regarded franchise

bandai namco is weird. you'd think the we love katamari remaster would've come out within like a year after the first game too but instead they left that waiting for five whole years. there's a steamdb listing implying they're porting tales of destiny director's cut but, we sure haven't gotten word on it in the last three or so years since that surfaced. maybe it'll happen like klonoa which, also got trademark listings, like three years before it actually released

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wish they'd do a proper 13 remaster release so I could play it on console and get the JP voices.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tequila Bob posted:

Mystic Quest

(They should've included MQ in the Pixel Remasters. Instead of FF2.)

mystic quest is a weird cheap spinoff game they made when they had no idea what their western release situation would really be looking like, not a mainline game that did so badly it got erased from the mainline series. it was basically made to be some random throwaway thing

also ff2 is good. massively outdated, loses all the context of why it was good when viewed in any context other than an experimental famicom rpg predating all the games using its technical and mechanical innovations, and impossible to really update without making a wholly different game at this point, but good.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

The Colonel posted:

it's annoying how quickly ff13 discussion erupts into plot arguments. i havent even played the game to be able to know whether anyone is wrong yet. save it for next year when i can also participate in regurgitating the same words about an xbox 360 game people have been weirdly hung up over for a decade

the funny part about ff13 being on the 360 is that version is also way worse lol. cuz 360 hadnt swapped over to blu-ray so the resolution is lower and the game is on like 4 discs again. sony did it again folks...

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Sakurazuka posted:

Wish they'd do a proper 13 remaster release so I could play it on console and get the JP voices.

The Steam version has you covered! And 13 has relatively modest requirements compared to games from the past 10 years.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
the main thing about the steam port of ff13 is the resolution is locked pretty low and my understanding from people who care about that is mods exist but theyre annoying to get to fix that

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Colonel posted:

All you need to know is that Mom's are tough but some people who played it don't know that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

13 plays badly, takes forever to get fun combat wise, is poorly written, plotted, localised (I've been told a lot of the dryness and stiltedness is overly direct translation but I don't speak Japanese so can't confirm) and acted (given how much better the cast is elsewhere even in the sequels I imagine this is on direction), it lacks memorable or interesting villains or characters in general and has no interesting side stuff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

the main thing about the steam port of ff13 is the resolution is locked pretty low and my understanding from people who care about that is mods exist but theyre annoying to get to fix that

i did some info digging for the future when i play that version and according to pcgw there's a pretty easy to use mod on pc but it only works with the steam version cause the windows store version is one of those hosed up windows store-unique versions and without that mod the game completely breaks at 1440p for some reason

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

A Sometimes Food posted:

13 plays badly, takes forever to get fun combat wise, is poorly written, plotted, localised (I've been told a lot of the dryness and stiltedness is overly direct translation but I don't speak Japanese so can't confirm) and acted (given how much better the cast is elsewhere even in the sequels I imagine this is on direction), it lacks memorable or interesting villains or characters in general and has no interesting side stuff.

youre just jealous lightning got to be a louis vuitton model and you didnt

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

A Sometimes Food posted:

i didnt ask you to tell me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

The game has a metric shitload of optional boss fights which is where the combat system shines.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

im not talking about whether its actually popular, but your using that fact to then intuit that its a better game. which of course you dont get because as established many times over youre dumb as rocks

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno why folks are so obsessed with sales. My favorite example to go to will always be MGS2 and 3 because it demonstrates how sales do not in any way translate to popular appreciation or impact. (MGS2 sold way more than 3. MGS2 was also viciously despised while 3 was universally beloved)

The cultural impct of a work is far more important, and FFX has always, always been way more popular than FFXII. It ws an instant classic.

No mention of quality here at all.

In fact, I think MGS2 is a way better game than MGS3 but the topic was overall popularity and so how I feel about FFX or MGS2 is irrelevant.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

The Colonel posted:

i did some info digging for the future when i play that version and according to pcgw there's a pretty easy to use mod on pc but it only works with the steam version cause the windows store version is one of those hosed up windows store-unique versions and without that mod the game completely breaks at 1440p for some reason

nice, guess the situation improved since when i looked at it myself a long time ago

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah but when the violins come in during the battle theme it’s pretty sweet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tequila Bob posted:

The Steam version has you covered! And 13 has relatively modest requirements compared to games from the past 10 years.

I don't have a working PC

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's good actually

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Did you not do the C'ieth missions? Or even worse... did them all post game?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sales numbers are wack because they are often an incomplete picture but you in particular strike me as someone who will use the nebulous shroud of cultural impact simply as a way to dress up your opinions in the veneer of fact
culturally important: i like it and my friends like it

no cultural impact: girls like it

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Endorph posted:

culturally important: i like it and my friends like it

no cultural impact: girls like it

exactly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Dignity posted:

theres demand for it, bamco are just morons. plus a lot of the people involved with the tales series either burned their bridges with bamco or got canned by them, hence why arise was made by a basically new team.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't have a working PC

I'd advise you to change that, if personal finances permit it. The console makers basically don't give a flip about older games except as a means to sell subscription plans. (XBox is actually better about this than Sony and Nintendo, but JRPGs are a weak spot in their library.)

If you like older games, and want to keep them playable over the decades, a personal computer is just about essential. It doesn't need to be a beast, just make sure that it has a real graphics card (not an "integrated" graphics card that's designed for the OS graphics and little else).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

I'd advise you to change that, if personal finances permit it. The console makers basically don't give a flip about older games except as a means to sell subscription plans. (XBox is actually better about this than Sony and Nintendo, but JRPGs are a weak spot in their library.)

If you like older games, and want to keep them playable over the decades, a personal computer is just about essential. It doesn't need to be a beast, just make sure that it has a real graphics card (not an "integrated" graphics card that's designed for the OS graphics and little else).

lol I don't think you need to tell her what a computer does

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just keep all my old consoles and games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Dignity posted:

lol I don't think you need to tell her what a computer does
did you know that when you turn a computer on, it can connect to the Information Super Highway? no grandma, you dont need to buy more internets

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you can think of any of the ways in which square enix is kind of dysfunctional and slow, bandai namco is like that but multiplied and with worse translation standards

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

They should port the Final Fantasy 13: Lightning Saga games to modern platties.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the saddest thing bandai namco ever did was announce their own deadly premonition set in new york and then never even release it. frame city killer my beloved

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Okay I got to Part 2 of Nier Replicant and lol it goes hard, fast. I'm still pretty bored with combat but I'm curious enough about wtf is going on that I'll probably stick with it at least through one ending and see how I feel from there. Part 1 definitely suffers from the plot basically being "you need to collect these magic things, go... idk, to the desert/forest/wherever" and having to travel through the same three generic areas over and over, but the end of Part 1 was interesting and crazy enough that I want to see it out

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

isnt the xbone bc version of XIII the best version now? i thought i remembered them adding something to it when it was made bc.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
top 10 saddest video game cancellations

1. relics for xbox
2. frame city killer
3. the ps2 tiny toons game that looks and sounds like wario world but it's actually a sequel to rakugaki showtime

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
If they re-release XIII, I have 3 demands:

1. Emphasize XIII-2 and LR on the game selection screen. I love XIII but the sequels are so much better. Guide players to the good parts!
2. Restore the Japanese role names, instead of the CoD-wannabe junk like "synergist".
3. Though it makes no sense, have an option to bring all of LR's roles and costumes into the earlier games in place of the six roles. This won't happen, I just want to imagine it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it run at 60fps 4K and has 4K FMV too I think? But only has the English dub so.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GysE0EZfB88

sometimes i imagine the timeline where we all learned of RELICS through the weird xbox game they were concepting in the five minutes before bothtec bit it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kild posted:

Did you not do the C'ieth missions? Or even worse... did them all post game?

the ci’eth missions are a single text box apiece as a pretense for more combat. 95% of the game is combat - no resource management and minimal character building outside the postgame, scarcely any incidental dialogue or interaction, and a setting that’s about as immersive as the scenery outside a tram ride. just one combat encounter after another for 30 hours. that can get wearying fast

16’s endless procession of bandits made me want to shove my head through a window but at least I was able to check all the ambient dialogue updates to come up for air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

top 10 saddest video game cancellations

1. relics for xbox
2. frame city killer
3. the ps2 tiny toons game that looks and sounds like wario world but it's actually a sequel to rakugaki showtime

Wait what