Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

null_pointer posted:

One story that sticks out in my head, and I made no effort to corroborate this then or now, was that at one point a doctor told Jackie "if you get one more concussion you will die."

When I read that, now, it sounds like baloney, but I wonder if there wasn't some underlying health condition, or the worry about CTE that caused Jackie to back off and be way safer.

Concussions stack nonlinearly, the second one in a short period is way worse than than the first one (sometimes you randomly die for unclear reasons, which is called 'second impact syndrome')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Tunicate posted:

(sometimes you randomly die for unclear reasons, which is called 'second impact syndrome')

see also Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

Not saying he didn't do some amazing and incredibly skillful work after that, but yeah from than on, but what he did do was orders of magnitude less risky. Jesus when you hear about how little safety prep was done on his crazy Honk Kong era stunts :gonk:

Police story: six foot leap off of a balcony railing to grab a metal pole covered in Christmas lights to slide down it five stories while the string lights are breaking all around it. One take, no trial runs, zero safety equipment.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

Police story: six foot leap off of a balcony railing to grab a metal pole covered in Christmas lights to slide down it five stories while the string lights are breaking all around it. One take, no trial runs, zero safety equipment.

I saw Police Story for the first time in the past year or two, and having never seen any prime Jackie Chan before it was definitely a very :stare: experience in the best way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hong Kong action in the 80s-90s is one of artistic peaks of Cinema as an artform.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Since we're talking about it, apparently, Jackie Chan and Ralph Macchio are doing some kind of Karate Kid movie collaboration and, when I first heard about it, I wondered what kind of bullshit money grab Kobra Kai crossover thing you could really make out of it. But after thinking about my Kung Fu Kid post, I guess they can set it up as a karate/kung fu rivalry since Daniel Larusso is 100% on board the Miyagi-Do train and Jackie Chan is...an actual kung fu expert.

Not sure if it will be canon with the movies and the TV show but it might work if you went that way and then have them both helping some weak, bullied kid for Contrived Reason but then arguing about how to go about it and with the threat of a one on one fight ever present. Except then it's just Kobra Kai again and I don't know how much further they can milk that formula, exactly, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised. We'll get a BvS "Martha" moment when Daniel realizes that Jackie was a custodian just like Pat Morita.

It will probably suck.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hong Kong action in the 80s-90s is one of artistic peaks of Cinema as an artform.
My IIMM is that we aren't likely to get a 4K release of Hard Boiled any time soon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Splicer posted:

Has this ever been done on purpose and well? A main character loving things up due to their own hubris but in a way that's enjoyable to watch and now that I type it out I realise I'm describing the first two seasons of You and also 90% of Greek mythology.

Archer comes to mind, which of course is playing it for comedy. In general it works in comedy, and even if it's not a required part is the protagonist having some likeable traits that make them fun to watch, and them getting a comeuppance in some sort of satisfying way.

Kinda figures that I was finding Sabrina to be the least interesting part of her whole show. The Bizarro Catholicism of the witch world never stopped being hilarious, and actually not bad social commentary with the ingrained culture of missing stairs and protecting predators.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
The episode of Sabrina in the last season where she was transported to a dark mirror world set of the Melissa Joan Hart sitcom, including talking taxidermy Salem, basically made up for all the time I spent watching the rest of the show

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just a reminder that the finale of Sabrina openly encourages teen suicide as a "really sweet" thing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The series Sabrina greatest flaw was having the most boring type of main character possible: a white quirky teenage girl

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just a reminder that the finale of Sabrina openly encourages teen suicide as a "really sweet" thing.

Did we learn nothing from Heathers?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Did we learn nothing from Heathers?

"Two of the cast members tragically died at young ages, in ways that were eerily prophesied by the script. Jeremy Applegate, whose character, Peter, prays he will never commit suicide, shot himself on March 23, 2000, at age 34. Kim Walker, whose character, Heather Chandler, asks, "Did you have a brain tumor for breakfast?," died of a brain tumor on March 6, 2001, at age 32."

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't it also have an episode about how it's perfectly fine to attend satanic sex orgies for teens? I haven't watched it myself yet; that's just what I've heard.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

CordlessPen posted:

This is the irrationallest of irritating TV moments, but I find it annoying that in House, House's office is on the top floor of the building it's in, but pretty often its team gets on the elevator while there are already people inside, or get out while people stay on. Did those people just ride the elevator to the top for no reason?
I'm quoting myself from 7 years ago just to prove that I'm not crazy! In 2016 I said that House's office was on the top floor because the elevator only has one button and people told me that it wasn't the case. I remember spot-checking a random episode and they were right; the elevator had 2 buttons.

But I recently started rewatching random episodes and stumbled upon THIS:

So I'll update my IITVM to say that I don't like how sometimes House's office is on the top floor and some other times it's not.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Hospital management built identical copies of House's office on every floor. It's up to you to decide whether they did this to gently caress with House, or because House demanded it because sometimes he doesn't like to walk so much.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CordlessPen posted:

I'm quoting myself from 7 years ago just to prove that I'm not crazy! In 2016 I said that House's office was on the top floor because the elevator only has one button and people told me that it wasn't the case. I remember spot-checking a random episode and they were right; the elevator had 2 buttons.

But I recently started rewatching random episodes and stumbled upon THIS:

So I'll update my IITVM to say that I don't like how sometimes House's office is on the top floor and some other times it's not.
It's possible that that floor has two elevators and one of them doesn't go any further up. There may be a floor above that only covers half the floor his office is on.

E:

There we go. So he's on the top flat roofed floor and sometimes they take an elevator that goes to and from the pointy bits and sometimes they take one that doesn't.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Nov 23, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SimonChris posted:

Didn't it also have an episode about how it's perfectly fine to attend satanic sex orgies for teens? I haven't watched it myself yet; that's just what I've heard.

I think it's more that it's normalised for the specific satanic church that they are a part of. Because it's a bad institution that encourages that kind of lax attitude to sex so that Satan taking them on their wedding night is less of an ask.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Splicer posted:

It's possible that that floor has two elevators and one of them doesn't go any further up. There may be a floor above that only covers half the floor his office is on.

E:

There we go. So he's on the top flat roofed floor and sometimes they take an elevator that goes to and from the pointy bits and sometimes they take one that doesn't.

I'd have to put way too much effort into something extremely inconsequential to make sure but from memory the elevator you see on the show is always the same, kind of in front of Wilson's office.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CordlessPen posted:

I'd have to put way too much effort into something extremely inconsequential to make sure but from memory the elevator you see on the show is always the same, kind of in front of Wilson's office.
They should stop moving his office then!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
You know what needs to make a comeback in movies? Guys threatening other characters with a snub nosed revolver held right at the waistline. Everyone's John Wicking it lately with guns held up next to their face. Like, sure, face-gunning might be better for aim but I feel like I wouldn't want to gently caress with some psycho holding a gun with a 3" barrel who clearly doesn't give half a poo poo where it's pointed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

800peepee51doodoo posted:

You know what needs to make a comeback in movies? Guys threatening other characters with a snub nosed revolver held right at the waistline. Everyone's John Wicking it lately with guns held up next to their face. Like, sure, face-gunning might be better for aim but I feel like I wouldn't want to gently caress with some psycho holding a gun with a 3" barrel who clearly doesn't give half a poo poo where it's pointed.

I got an image of a olde timey movie with a guy in a suit or even a coat doing this unloading all six chambers but can’t figure out where or what it was lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SimonChris posted:

That one is true, though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I never even heard of Sabrina but all the complaints I'm hearing make this show sound fuckin rad

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

I got an image of a olde timey movie with a guy in a suit or even a coat doing this unloading all six chambers but can’t figure out where or what it was lol

There's a lot like that, although I don't know if I can think any of people threatening beforehand, usually they just open fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi2x7nlP_PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpdFUueS9xM

Pretty much any western, etc. But now you have me remembering a scene that I can't place- a guy is wearing a coat, maybe a suit, has his gun out and makes to put it away. But instead he fires it back through his suit hitting someone behind him.

eta

Held right at the waistline eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sg08Pi87CU

Dopilsya has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Nov 23, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

credburn posted:

I never even heard of Sabrina but all the complaints I'm hearing make this show sound fuckin rad

Check it out for the first couple of seasons at least. Season 1 is rad as hell.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

The episode of Sabrina in the last season where she was transported to a dark mirror world set of the Melissa Joan Hart sitcom, including talking taxidermy Salem, basically made up for all the time I spent watching the rest of the show

Okay yes that episode was great

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I mean if you are able tolerate teen melodrama it's pretty fun for all the casual satanism and it's extremely queer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grendels Dad posted:

Deadstream does a great job straddling the line between having an annoying protagonist that you still enjoy watching while he gets his poo poo pushed in by ghosts.

Come to think of it, there must be more haunted house movies where the protagonists are assholes you wanna see haunted. Slashers often fail when those people are too cartoonish and you are just going through the motions waiting for heads to roll.

Like half the people in haunted house movies are assholes. Not half the movies, half the people in almost every movie. Usual way it goes a family/couple moves into a new house and the woman notices things are weird. She's home alone all day and her husband is absent or emotionally absent and won't listen to what she's saying. We did this for you and now you want to leave?? We can't afford it we sunk all our money into this. Etc. Anyone she reaches out to thinks she is having mental health problems and so is by default an rear end in a top hat. You feel sorry for her but also not, because she's a helpless incompetent doormat of a person who probably brought this on herself.

Alternate version: a child notices something is fucky first, which proceeds the same way except being accused of lying or "telling stories" instead of being crazy. The parent(s) is too wrapped up in their grown up problems to really listen until the climax. If the child reaches out to an adult outside the family they are all awful, and implicitly threaten to make things worse. The kid being incompetent is a little less annoying since kids aren't supposed to be self-sufficient.

It has to work that way, otherwise sensible people who talk to each other would get out of the loving house before the walls start bleeding. Their supportive friends would help them pack and give them a couch to crash on while they figure out their finances. So by the end you want most of the people in the house to die. They brought it on themselves.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Smile had the worst version of that - the other characters know that the protagonist has severe trauma based off of her mother's mental health crises, and so when weird poo poo starts happening they just start accusing her of going crazy too, and even before then her sister is a total bitch about her going into psychiatry despite that trauma being the reason. They don't even try to get her help when they think she's going crazy, they just cut all communication and don't even attempt to deal with the situation.

Talk to Me completely avoids the problem by having all the characters save one be really cool and reasonable people, it just so happens that the dead are smarter than them. The mistakes that they make are reasonable in the moment because of the context, like the instigating event of a child young enough to cause problems being allowed to play - up until that point the dead have been rude assholes, but in a playful way that makes the protagonists underestimate how bad they are, then once they are given an inch they take ten miles and make the child slam his face into the table because he's the only victim small enough to reach - they waited until they COULD do damage before actually trying to. It was a dumb decision, but you can see why they thought it would be safe.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Nov 23, 2023

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sinister worked pretty great for a haunted flick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SimonChris posted:

I love how this show sounds like they used the Satanic Panic as a treasure trove of ideas and it's as a result indistinguishable from what church boomers make up for their FWD:FWDs. It's a bit like Gotham where the all-out craziness is just a fun ride, also in having a shamelessly anachronistic setting (Archer style) but it comes to drag when they have to start treating the premise too seriously and clearly don't quite know how to.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah I mean if you are able tolerate teen melodrama it's pretty fun for all the casual satanism and it's extremely queer.

Its a shame the actor for Ambrose turned out to be a MAGA poo poo.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I was laid up sick for Thanksgiving so I spent the day watching a bunch of movies I've been meaning to get to. Michael Mann's Manhunter is a masterpiece, what a fantastic film. Fincher's The Killer was ok, but I guess I was hoping for something more. It might be better on a rewatch. Also, I finally got around to watching Tar, which is really really good. Amazing, honestly. But my IIMM was Mark Strong's wig. What the gently caress. Why did they make him wear that fuckin pelt on his head. Every time he was on screen all I could think was "wig. wig. wig. wig. wig." Unbelievably distracting.

MariusLecter posted:

Every post-war noir gangster movie ever made.

:lmao:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Recently watched Incendies because why not. And it's not a movie I want to watch again, but my IIMM is so the Woman Who Sings is kept in prison for over a decade, and being raped a few times by the head torturer is enough to make her crack, especially when she finds out she is pregnant. But that happens late into her sentence, and we hear women being tortured, and there's a scene where two prison workers take newborn babies to the river to drown, so babies are a normal thing here in the women prison. Rape is a standard thing. And poo poo being what this is, why was rape the very last thing they did so late in her sentence to break her spirit? That seems like the first thing religious fanatics would do to a woman who loving shot their leader and spent years singing in defiance of them locking her up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Netflix kept recommending me Grace and Frankie. It has a bunch of likable older actors, so sure, I'll give it a shot.

It's a sitcom about affluent people with no real problems tieing themselves in knots. The two starting couples own 3 large houses between them. Both men are lawyers. Once son is a lawyer, one daughter is a CEO, other daughter is a SAHM married to a doctor, and the final son is the token fuckup recovering addict black sheep. Bougie as hell.

It seems really strange for a show made in the last 10 years, and more like an 80s/90s sitcom. The Huxtables but white and gay.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I can't believe that netflix let that go 7 seasons

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Netflix kept recommending me Grace and Frankie. It has a bunch of likable older actors, so sure, I'll give it a shot.

It's a sitcom about affluent people with no real problems tieing themselves in knots. The two starting couples own 3 large houses between them. Both men are lawyers. Once son is a lawyer, one daughter is a CEO, other daughter is a SAHM married to a doctor, and the final son is the token fuckup recovering addict black sheep. Bougie as hell.

It seems really strange for a show made in the last 10 years, and more like an 80s/90s sitcom. The Huxtables but white and gay.

wasn't that the show with two divorced older ladies whose husbands had been having an affair for 20 years or something like that? Like the wives were unknowing beards their entire marriage. But the show tried to show them sympathetic because they couldn't be out.

I am sorry I cheated on you honey, and we built a life on a lie, but now I want to be free and get with the real love of my life, good luck with yours!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dopilsya posted:

But now you have me remembering a scene that I can't place- a guy is wearing a coat, maybe a suit, has his gun out and makes to put it away. But instead he fires it back through his suit hitting someone behind him.

Deliberately or accidentally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I was laid up sick for Thanksgiving so I spent the day watching a bunch of movies I've been meaning to get to. Michael Mann's Manhunter is a masterpiece, what a fantastic film. Fincher's The Killer was ok, but I guess I was hoping for something more. It might be better on a rewatch. Also, I finally got around to watching Tar, which is really really good. Amazing, honestly. But my IIMM was Mark Strong's wig. What the gently caress. Why did they make him wear that fuckin pelt on his head. Every time he was on screen all I could think was "wig. wig. wig. wig. wig." Unbelievably distracting.

Every post-war noir gangster movie ever made.

:lmao:

Here definitely supposed to look ridiculous.