Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

DarkLich posted:

What Steve said: mask with confidence!

Any time I'm spending time with my in-laws, I'm 100% masked indoors. It's not always comfortable, but it doesn't get in the way of being social and friendly. My plan for Thanksgiving is to eat in the garage away from everyone else. I'm sure they'd rather have me at the dinner table, but in my experience, folks are generally glad you're just making the effort to be present.

Find an excuse that works well for you, whether it's healthy paranoia or specific health issues you're trying to avoid. Hopefully no one faults you for wanting a healthier life.

Typically at most gatherings it's just my wife and I masking. This Thanksgiving I got my parents to agree to mask EVERYWHERE (My dad is still doing this, my mom not as much) for two weeks and to test three times before we come over. More people were going to come over but as they weren't willing to take those same precautions, we're having two rounds of thanksgiving. One with people who actually put in relatively minimal effort where we will be unmasked (with some windows open and a Cube nearby) and one where we're the only masked people.

Still an improvement from the last two years where we went to go eat in the garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

just do what I do when people ask about the mask, tell them I have TB while starting to pull it down and ask if they want any

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

shazbot posted:

I got my booster 2 weeks before my surgery was scheduled for 10/27 when cases were down, then the doctor rescheduled it for 11/30 and Im definitely gonna get someones thanksgiving covid infection now

Same date as my dental appointment! High five from the grave

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have scheduled my dental appointments to summer, covid has been low during every summer here. The doc and assistant etc still wear masks too, which is nice.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Ihmemies posted:

I have scheduled my dental appointments to summer, covid has been low during every summer here. The doc and assistant etc still wear masks too, which is nice.

Jealous. I have Medicaid and there is only one place close enough that takes it. I've been on their waiting list for 8 months. If I try to reschedule I probably won't get in until after next thanksgiving. Hooray for :911: and big thanks to the back to normal crowd for their happy gatherings that gently caress up other people's health :blessed:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

For some reason private dental clinics are cheap in Finland. 130 for a yearly checkup, and they remove any plaque buildup etc while at it. X-rays and hole repairs are extra, but so far the need for them has been infrequent during past 20 years.

Wait lists for public dental care are enormous, 8 month queues sound like what we have in public sector.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I must not feel peer pressure. it is the mind killer.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Ihmemies posted:

What do you do, when you don't want to be the only guy masking? Just not go to events? That's what I've been doing so far, but I really miss out on some stuff, especially excursions to potential workplaces which our university's student organization arranges to different IT companies.

Can't afford to be sick at the moment, and covid wastewater spike is the largest ever recorded in Finland. No one is going to do my job if I'm sick, and last year I got a sick eye infection which took eventually like 6+ months to completely get "back to normal". I don't want a repeat of that especially.

So many people all around are sick, and get sick, compared to summer. It's incredible. So many friends etc. too. Many say they haven't been this sick in quite a while, especially the high fever sucks, they tell.

I no longer care if people look at me weird.

You know those movies where someone is warning of an impending disaster, and urging everyone to take precautions, and no one does? And you're sitting in the audience and thinking, "Well, if I was in this movie I would certainly listen to Handsome Scientistman and not feel the least bit embarrassed about it".

Congrats. You're now in that movie.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
I have bad anxiety and I hate standing out, but my desire to not be sick or spread sickness to others and my inability to normalize all this has overridden any care about being the only one masked, and I just accept that we live in the twilight zone and I'm gonna get weird looks and probably have people call me insane or whatever. Also, I'm way more angry now lol. Like, yup I'm wearing a mask, why aren't you? gently caress off!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

two dentist appointments this week plus spreadsheet-avoidance thanksgiving with about a dozen people

Im hosed, Iol

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Heart surgery will be in about 24 hours, posting pals. Might be quadruple bypass too apparently. If I don't post again within a week or so, name the thread after me for 12 hours or something. That will be my legacy to the world.

I barely posted in this thread but was that annoying Melbourne update guy in the old one while stuck in strict lockdown/curfew etc for 300+ days.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Heart surgery will be in about 24 hours, posting pals. Might be quadruple bypass too apparently. If I don't post again within a week or so, name the thread after me for 12 hours or something. That will be my legacy to the world.

I barely posted in this thread but was that annoying Melbourne update guy in the old one while stuck in strict lockdown/curfew etc for 300+ days.

dude I cant tell you how much Im rooting for you

get well goon

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

shazbot posted:

get well goon

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

unironic thoughts and prayers for your quick recovery friend

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

shazbot posted:

get well goon

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

while in bad taste I do feel this is appropriate

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

damg, cant even get away from homework in the hospital

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Best of luck, we hope to see you again soon.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

shazbot posted:

get well goon

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

sending power and resilience homie

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

shazbot posted:

get well goon

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Re: not wanting to stand out. If it helps try to remember that by wearing a mask, you are normalizing that behavior. You're also implicitly advocating for the immune-compromised or other vulnerable people, as well as people who may actually want to wear a mask but are too anxious to stand out from the crowd.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
People avoiding me while masking is an extra benefit in my experience. It not only reduces exposure to their plague-cloud but it also runs them away in stores and speeds everything up.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

best vibes and wishes, fellow covid thread traveler.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

good luck goon.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Good luck

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

you got this, you'll have to name change to FortuneateSexFart when you come back after it's successful though

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Good luck!!

you'll be fine, post post post when you are able plz

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

dibs on your apartment if you die

(reiterating my offer for any help you or your wife need, i'm like 20min from south yarra, and from what you've said your local support networks might not be huge)

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mola Yam posted:

dibs on your apartment if you die

(reiterating my offer for any help you or your wife need, i'm like 20min from south yarra, and from what you've said your local support networks might not be huge)

I'm also in the Melb area and also reiterating my offer to help if needed.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

I had open heart surgery a few years ago valve and aortic root replacement. The first week of recovery isn't fun, but you can sleep through most of it. After that? You'll sail. Good luck, but you're gonna crush it.

Edit: My dad had a quadruple bypass a little under a year ago and actually recovered even more quickly than I did.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/YouAreLobbyLud/status/1727468599730913412

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Maybe those Pfizer Lucira combo tests that include Influenza A&B will come in handy after all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I wanna know more about dog pneumonia

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Trying out a new chart to include FLU and RSV.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week Wkly Trend:	Total:
Nov 12            -        -        -    + 1,827      ↓7.5%      1,827
Nov 05            -        -    1,860      + 116      ↓2.8%      1,976
Oct 29            -    1,903       90       + 40      ↑7.6%      2,033
Oct 22        1,772       90       17       + 11     ↓17.1%      1,890
Oct 15          132       36       22          -     ↓17.8%      2,279
Rest of '23      58       70       17        + 3               121,418
Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Nov 12            -        -        -      + 656      ↓9.0%        656
Nov 05            -        -      606      + 115      ↓4.0%        721
Oct 29            -      715       36          -      ↑0.3%        751
Oct 22          725       24        -          -     ↓14.4%        749
Oct 15           47        -        -          -     ↓23.3%        875
Rest of '23      52        -        -       - 10                39,676

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Nov 12            -        -        -      + 240      ↓0.4%        240
Nov 05            -        -      262       - 21      ↓1.6%        241
Oct 29            -      295      -48        - 2      ↑4.3%        245
Oct 22          231        1        3          -     ↓22.4%        235
Oct 15          -70        -       12          -     ↓16.5%        303
Rest of '23     -25        -        -        + 1                11,400
Total occupied inpatient beds (includes ICU) used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Nov 12            -        -        -    + 1,638      ↓2.1%      1,638
Nov 05            -        -    1,673          -      ↓2.4%      1,673
Oct 29            -    1,708        7          -      ↓3.5%      1,715
Oct 22        1,778        -        -          -     ↓15.3%      1,778
Oct 15            -        -        -          -     ↓12.5%      2,100
Rest of '23       -        -       -7          -                 85,281
Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent two weeks of data are incomplete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Nov 12            -        -        -          -        -           -
Nov 05            -        -        -       + 20    ↓33.3%         20
Oct 29            -        -       25        + 5    ↓11.8%         30
Oct 22            -        5       29          -    ↑17.2%         34
Oct 15           25        3        1          -     ↓6.5%         29
Rest of '23      24        2       -1        + 1                1,241
Weekly update on recent emergency room (ER) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients, deaths, and confirmed positives highlighting changes due to backfill. These are cobbled together from reports published by Washington's Healthcare, Emergency, and Logistics Tracking Hub (WA HEALTH), Washington Disease Reporting System (WDRS), Washington Health and Life Event System (WHALES) which can all be downloaded from the dashboard linked above. Additional information was gathered from CDC's Weekly Trends and HHS' Hospital Capacity by State and Hospital Capacity by Facility reports. All of these reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday week definition.

Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previous reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report. Ex: Last week reported 250 hospitalizations for the week of Oct-15, this week reported only 225 hospitalizations for the week of Oct-15, there will be an outline on the column for Oct-15 extending from 250 to 225 to show the count recently lowered by 25.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well be waiting to hear all about it once youre out. You got this!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
[Pestilence] Everybody cares about UnfortunateSexFart

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

Shiroc posted:

[Pestilence] Everybody cares about UnfortunateSexFart

quite right, I dont want to embarrass myself by making a weird noise

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

isnt this tremendously bad if true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

Insanite posted:

isnt this tremendously bad if true?

hello you seem to be new to 2023 let me welcome you aboard