Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/trongnhan9500/status/1727234131665281028?s=46

eyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

hmm... deleted...

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Ihmemies posted:

What do you do, when you don't want to be the only guy masking? Just not go to events? That's what I've been doing so far, but I really miss out on some stuff, especially excursions to potential workplaces which our university's student organization arranges to different IT companies.

Can't afford to be sick at the moment, and covid wastewater spike is the largest ever recorded in Finland. No one is going to do my job if I'm sick, and last year I got a sick eye infection which took eventually like 6+ months to completely get "back to normal". I don't want a repeat of that especially.

So many people all around are sick, and get sick, compared to summer. It's incredible. So many friends etc. too. Many say they haven't been this sick in quite a while, especially the high fever sucks, they tell.

lmao just wear a mask

omg so wild to think about others opinions stopping us from trying to avoid getting a deadly and disabling virus

already have long covid

it loving sucks, our life has been completely upended

we have lost so much

we are adapting. but life is so much more incredibly difficult

we've been disabled in other ways our whole life, it had taken us til 25 to find a rhythm that made each day tolerable.

Back to square 0 and now on impossible mode, but still trying

Definitely still wearing an N95 everywhere

thankfully no longer living with those unvaccinated abusiveness kin that always found ways to harm and demean us

but now in a safe home and no longer have to wear a respirator in our own house like we did for years.

but wild.

Currently on a drive through Mississippi and had several people point and discuss me after using a gas station bathroom.

it's not the mask though. Its being trans.

They basically don't see the mask.

Will say we have had someone threaten to rip our mask off when delivering flowrrs to their loving mansion.

Lol but yeah most people are too busy minding their business, distracted by stress,, or gawking at the actual undesirables

But omg wear a respirator

covid can change your life immensely

some people upon hearing the reality conclude the long covid disability would be worse than death, they are wrong but there are many moments every single day where we really sympathize with that resignation

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

500 bad dogs posted:

hmm... deleted...

feigl-ding is on the case!

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1727405105526222906?s=20

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Shiroc posted:

[Pestilence] Everybody cares about UnfortunateSexFart

It's honestly touching. Not really telling many people irl.

shazbot posted:

while in bad taste I do feel this is appropriate

Gallows humour is always appreciated. I am a goon after all.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Nov 23, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It's honestly touching. Not really telling manu people irl.

Take advantage of irl people offering to help duder. Theres only so much the terminally online can do for you and its not clean your house or run to the store for you or bring you a casserole or what have you.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oracle posted:

Take advantage of irl people offering to help duder. There’s only so much the terminally online can do for you and it’s not clean your house or run to the store for you or bring you a casserole or what have you.

All good, my wife will be there for me. Working from home next to my bed until I'm better.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
morbid as it is, make sure you document everything your wife needs to know if things go south. I took this challenge recently and its not pleasant. bills, logins, account numbers, whatever. make sure shes beneficiary for everything.

people have been getting bypass surgery for decades. its figured out. youre gonna be fine. just dont let an oops deny her anything

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

shazbot posted:

dude I cant tell you how much Im rooting for you

get well goon

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

shazbot posted:

dude I can’t tell you how much I’m rooting for you

get well goon

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
in Australia do they have to hook up the bypasses opposite?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

fosborb posted:

in Australia do they have to hook up the bypasses opposite?

they have to switch it from suck to blow

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
2 year old nephew is staying the night in the hospital with rsv, flu and covid (negative for strep!)

he of course most likely caught all that at last week's funeral for his cousin, who was an extremely immunocompromised 8 year old battling a lung infection and covid (caught most likely from his visiting grandparents!) overwhelmed his body within 2 days

been a long week

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Heart surgery will be in about 24 hours, posting pals. Might be quadruple bypass too apparently. If I don't post again within a week or so, name the thread after me for 12 hours or something. That will be my legacy to the world.

I barely posted in this thread but was that annoying Melbourne update guy in the old one while stuck in strict lockdown/curfew etc for 300+ days.

Good luck COVID thread buddy.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

who statement:

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1727452971816935537?s=20

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Im sure itll be fine

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

fosborb posted:

2 year old nephew is staying the night in the hospital with rsv, flu and covid (negative for strep!)

he of course most likely caught all that at last week's funeral for his cousin, who was an extremely immunocompromised 8 year old battling a lung infection and covid (caught most likely from his visiting grandparents!) overwhelmed his body within 2 days

been a long week

sorry friend

we've opted out of thanksgiving but my wife offered to have the nieces and nephews at our place for ??? reasons clear only to her so that their parents can... do the maudlin revelry unencumbered?

ready to roll them dice!! masks on, filters to maximum

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
mystery dog disease has cases in Los Angeles already

gonna be real tough not taking dog to dog park

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

Im sure itll be fine

Just follow these easy tips.

quote:

While WHO seeks this additional information, we recommend that people in China follow measures to reduce the risk of respiratory illness, which include recommended vaccination; keeping distance from people who are ill; staying home when ill; getting tested and medical care as needed; wearing masks as appropriate; ensuring good ventilation; and regular hand-washing.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Solid lines are generated from normalized and smoothed data provided by the Washington State Department of Health (WADoH Ref. (1) ), Verily/WastewaterSCAN (WWS Ref. (3) ), and Biobot (Ref. (4) ).

White diamond dots are from most recent CDC/NWSS (Ref. (2) ) data scaled to supplement missing or out-dated data when available.

Because each of these four groups use different normalization methods, different smoothing methods, and different averaging/location identifiers, the concentration of virus is not comparable between locations. See reference links at the bottom of this post for more details.

There are 33 sewersheds distributed across 6 charts grouped by region then alphabetized by county and sewershed. The tables below contain WADoH or NWSS/WSS IDs (to match their respective dashboards), Date last sampled, Trend (based on the change between the averages of the two most recent weeks), and Service Area for city names and regions if known.

All data presented are smoothed in some degree to even out inconsistent sampling dates and extreme highs and lows. Most sewersheds are sampled 1-3 times a week and are published within a week. Some locations are late reporting by 10 days or more so be sure to note your sewershed's Date in the table or graph. Locations that are more than two weeks old will have n/a listed under Trend to indicate there it is out of date.

Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update.

Northwest and Peninsula

pre:
Northwest and Peninsula
County		Shed ID	Ref.	Date	Trend	Service Area
Jefferson	PT	(1)	Nov-20	STEADY	Port Townsend
Mason		n/a	(4)	Nov-15	STEADY	Rustlewood, Shelton?
Skagit		ANA	(1)	Nov-16	UP	Anacortes
Skagit		MV	(1)	Nov-16	STEADY	Mount Vernon
Whatcom		LYN	(1)	Nov-16	DOWN	Lynden
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]
Island		COUP	(1)	Nov-20	STEADY	Coupeville
Island		OH	(1)	Nov-20	DOWN	Oak Harbor
Snohomish	ARL	(1)	Nov-16	STEADY	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	(1)	Nov-20	STEADY	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	(1)	Nov-15	STEADY	Stanwood
Snohomish	256	(3)	Nov-17	UP	Snohomish
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]
King		BWT	(1)	Nov-20	DOWN	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	(1)	Nov-20	DOWN	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	(1)	Nov-19	STEADY	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
Southwest and South Puget Sound

pre:
Southwest and South Puget Sound
County		Shed ID		Ref.	Date	Trend	Service Area
Clark		MRPK		(1)	Nov-15	STEADY	Vancouver
Clark		SNCK		(1)	Nov-16	UP	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS		(1)	Nov-15	DOWN	Vancouver Westside
Lewis		n/a		(4)	Nov-15	STEADY	Chehalis?
Pierce		CC		(1)	Nov-17	DOWN	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY		(1)	Nov-20	DOWN	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT/1757	(1)/(2)	Nov-19	STEADY	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
Central Washington

pre:
Central Washington
Benton		WRCH	(1)	Nov-16	UP	West Richland
Chelan		WEN	(1)	Nov-20	DOWN	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	(1)	Nov-15	DOWN	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	(1)	Nov-20	STEADY	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	(1)	Nov-20	STEADY	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	(1)	Nov-20	UP	Yakima
Eastern Washington

pre:
Eastern Washington
Franklin	PAS	(1)	Nov-17	STEADY	Pasco
Spokane		RP/759	(1)/(2)	Nov-19	STEADY	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	(1)	Nov-20	DOWN	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	(1)	Nov-20	STEADY	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	(1)	Nov-17	UP	Pullman
References with links to details on data limitations, sampling methods, and normalization protocols:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ihmemies posted:

What do you do, when you don't want to be the only guy masking? Just not go to events? That's what I've been doing so far, but I really miss out on some stuff, especially excursions to potential workplaces which our university's student organization arranges to different IT companies.

Can't afford to be sick at the moment, and covid wastewater spike is the largest ever recorded in Finland. No one is going to do my job if I'm sick, and last year I got a sick eye infection which took eventually like 6+ months to completely get "back to normal". I don't want a repeat of that especially.

So many people all around are sick, and get sick, compared to summer. It's incredible. So many friends etc. too. Many say they haven't been this sick in quite a while, especially the high fever sucks, they tell.

I avoid sharing indoor air if I can with anyone that isnt immediate family. At my own house I have HEPAs going but Ive given up at my parents and the in laws, its just two of them at each place so I accept that risk. Same for work. I have HEPAs in my office that have protected me from two confirmed and one likely exposure. I generally dont mask but I also refuse to attend any in person meetings outside my office other than a single one that happens twice a month that has half a dozen people thats important to keep my career going. Again I accept that risk. And when friends want to hang out I am all for it as long as theyll come over to my surgical room air quality house.

I mostly mask at this point for unavoidable shopping trips or medical stuff. Also when I flew recently. Anytime Im in a remotely crowded enclosed space or in any indoor space for more than a very short time I put an N95 on. Other than that Ive just changed my life to either just not do stuff anymore or have it be a risk Im okay with accepting.

I have a wife who doesnt maskor be covid cautious at work though and also a kid in daycare, so my goal isnt to never catch COVID but to catch it less often than everyone else. So my equilibrium might not match yours.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

lol (just for the headline)

As someone with an overbearing mother, this was hilarious beyond the headline. Also:

silicone thrills posted:

good luck goon.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/paulstanleylive/status/1727408152759386121?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Look at that slacker, he should be catching up on his homework.

Also goodluck, UnfortunateSexFart :australia:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My surgery got postponed indefinitely so someone else could have an emergency transplant. Already been almost two weeks since I had the heart attack. Sigh

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

500 bad dogs posted:

hmm... deleted...

why the gently caress do you already have one hundred posts

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

My surgery got postponed indefinitely so someone else could have an emergency transplant. Already been almost two weeks since I had the heart attack. Sigh

Gah that's frustrating. Im sorry

Although not as frustrating as the article i just read about someone's Cigna insurance denying covering a lung transplant at the last minute here. At least its just another person getting help and not some dickwad insurance company loving everyone involved.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Swedes have a new health record study about the relation between vaccination and post‐COVID conditions.

quote:

Participants All adults (≥18 years) with covid-19 first registered between 27 December 2020 and 9 February 2022 (n=589 722) in the two largest regions of Sweden. Individuals were followed from a first infection until death, emigration, vaccination, reinfection, a PCC diagnosis (ICD-10 diagnosis code U09.9), or end of follow-up (30 November 2022), whichever came first. Individuals who had received at least one dose of a covid-19 vaccine before infection were considered vaccinated.

Main outcome measure The primary outcome was a clinical diagnosis of PCC. Vaccine effectiveness against PCC was estimated using Cox regressions adjusted for age, sex, comorbidities (diabetes and cardiovascular, respiratory, and psychiatric disease), number of healthcare contacts during 2019, socioeconomic factors, and dominant virus variant at time of infection.

Results Of 299 692 vaccinated individuals with covid-19, 1201 (0.4%) had a diagnosis of PCC during follow-up, compared with 4118 (1.4%) of 290 030 unvaccinated individuals. Covid-19 vaccination with any number of doses before infection was associated with a reduced risk of PCC (adjusted hazard ratio 0.42, 95% confidence interval 0.38 to 0.46), with a vaccine effectiveness of 58%. Of the vaccinated individuals, 21 111 received one dose only, 205 650 received two doses, and 72 931 received three or more doses. Vaccine effectiveness against PCC for one dose, two doses, and three or more doses was 21%, 59%, and 73%, respectively.

Three or more doses? :monocle: Max Titers is the luckiest man alive.

Anyway, the vaccines are helpful but imperfect, and more doses demonstrably result in better outcomes, but I wouldnt make much out of the specific numbers for PASC prevalence. I suspect that the majority of Swedish PASC sufferers do not have a diagnosis of PCC. Their infection may not even be documented with the state.

P.S.:

quote:

Although vaccination coverage was not evenly distributed during these periods, stratifying on the period of dominant variant at the time of infection showed only a slightly lower vaccine effectiveness against PCC in the omicron period than in the pre-alpha and alpha periods. As we did not have access to virus sequencing data in our analysis, we used the time of infection as a proxy for variant.

Omicron: only slightly less mild than its predecessors

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

maxwellhill posted:

why the gently caress do you already have one hundred posts

That's like one in five dogs making a single post

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Blah gently caress that sucks man

Baddog
May 12, 2001

fosborb posted:

been a long week

Jesus Christ, sorry man.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

fosborb posted:

been a long week

gently caress, hang in there. that's rough

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

double gently caress, hang in there. what a lovely rollercoaster

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Indefinitely....drat wtf

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

been a long week
loving hell gently caress this hell world

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Indoor Dying posted:

Indefinitely....drat wtf

Yeah I'm in what is essentially *the* lung and heart transplant hospital for all of Australia. They sometimes fly people in from Perth 3,400km away just to do it. It just happened to be my local public hospital too though. When I arrived I didn't even know I had a heart attack and was just being extra cautious. Didn't even plan to stay one night.

There's a decent chance I have surgery on Saturday, barring another transplant. Can't say I love the idea of a surgeon having to work overtime to patch me up though.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Maed posted:

you got this, you'll have to name change to FortuneateSexFart when you come back after it's successful though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://twitter.com/KimJungGiUS/status/1325887611341135873

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I hope UnfortunateSexFart is doing great :worried:

Wow, did this thing kick my rear end across the room, but I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I am basically ecstatic to say my smell is coming back. I realize that's what I should expect, but the time frame of "days to never" is loving terrifying.

Hilariously, it did force me to realize how little of the food I eat on a very regular basis has much aromatic component to it -- if I had to get by on yogurt + grape nuts + maple syrup and popsicles, all that stuff basically tasted fine. But, you realize the importance of little things like the litte "ahh" each morning catching a whiff of coffee. Doomer that I am I was already imagining having to find new, non aromatic rituals to replace moments like that so that my Life Fabric Richness Index (LFRI) didn't take too bad a hit.

Stuff still tastes a little weird, but I've got 2 days of paxlovid to go on top of everything else; since stuff smells again, and, as far as I can tell, smells the way it should I am just going to relax and continue to take it extremely easy for a while. And also certainly not assume I'm off the hook for problems (nervously looking at thread title and thinking about ski season that starts in a month)

e: oh yea I got fuckin conjectivitus out of this too, as of like 5am, and I probably can't do poo poo about it b/c it's turkey day.

The rest of the family is still hacking and older kiddo still had a fever as of yesterday.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 14:20 on Nov 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is something happening in the north of China?