Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cease to Hope posted:

he used to just be a guy with two regular power fists and an impressive squat. then he had the bolter fists and inherited them from guilliman. dunno when it got changed to that.

Huh, I might just be misremembering. Calgar's powerfists have been special since I've been playing back in 3e, but I forgot that they had originally been from when G was around. Or maybe that changed? Either way Calgar is way cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I mean in defence of the Black Templars fascism they're Catholic as gently caress and that feels more like the deal to me.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Cessna posted:

That's outstanding. I may have to sacrifice a Russ to see if I can do something like that.

Please post the results if you do.

I cut the outer hull down enough that it forms a shelf for the track guards to rest on. I think there's also small spacers made out of plasticard between the track and the guards to stop them from sagging sideways. For the rest of it I think I just filed away any bothersome rivets to get the wheels to stay on straight.

Cooked Auto posted:

Feels like that's something you're not really going to pay too much attention too. But for embellishment, that may or may not be too much, would be to glue a bigger and smaller tube together so they look like pistons.

Or figure out a way to build a simple Sherman style bogey. Which you could almost just simulate with putting a tube on top of a pair of lower roadwheel and then a piece between them. Especially if you want to emulate a later iteration of it where the bogies aren't that pronounced.

Stop reading my mind, those were all the useful ideas I had and now your're about to get to the really depressing and self-sabotaging part. ;)

With so many people suddenly paying attention to my creation I'm feeling a lot of pressure to add the suspension to my tank now. :)

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't think fascist aesthetics makes playing an army a moral bad, for fucks sake I'm in the 40k thread and I'm currently painting up a Black Templars army which is like fascism squared, but it just always rubs me the wrong way how there's so much hand wringing over Krieg while poo poo like Steel Legion and even the Black Templars don't raise an eyebrow.

I'm always side-eyeing Black Templars and really dislike Christian Crusader aesthetics generally, but my two favorites are Sisters and Grey Knights so maybe WartyK is a neighborhood full of glass houses.

Unless you're playing Gretchin Revolutionary Committee.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

S.J. posted:

Huh, I might just be misremembering. Calgar's powerfists have been special since I've been playing back in 3e, but I forgot that they had originally been from when G was around. Or maybe that changed? Either way Calgar is way cooler.

the guilliman thing is from 2e, he's based on an old illustration and miniature that technically didn't have a name

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Yeah I mean I love the fanatic catholic aesthetic of the sisters and I am a hard left atheist. I don't think that thinking the steel legion or whatever looks badass is indicative of anything at all.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I agree you guys beating me in a game or not allowing me to re-roll a dice save i failed is fascist :colbert:

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Yeah I mean I love the fanatic catholic aesthetic of the sisters and I am a hard left atheist. I don't think that thinking the steel legion or whatever looks badass is indicative of anything at all.

not until you spot a certain palm tree on someone's tanks, at least

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Black Templars as an aesthetic attract that most annoying chuds on the internet, but that's easily ignored by just not caring what weirdo larpers say on social media who probably don't own a single model. They're one of my favorites to seen painted up though and I do enjoy their lore, particularly their beef with the fledgling Black Legion when they first left the Eye of Terror.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Assessor of Maat posted:

not until you spot a certain palm tree on someone's tanks, at least

One day I hope to spot some IG tanks with weed on them :2bong:

Nazzadan posted:

Black Templars as an aesthetic attract that most annoying chuds on the internet, but that's easily ignored by just not caring what weirdo larpers say on social media who probably don't own a single model. They're one of my favorites to seen painted up though and I do enjoy their lore, particularly their beef with the fledgling Black Legion when they first left the Eye of Terror.

I enjoy the whole thing where it's like you think the fists are a pack of Catholic mega weirdos well check out these clowns.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Decorus posted:

and now your're about to get to the really depressing and self-sabotaging part. ;)

I save that part for my other hobbies. :v:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Virtual Russian posted:

Yes, but Steel Legion is a single SS lightning bolt. Again, somehow the team that is explicitly more nazi sneaks by.

Look up the old forgeworld Tallarn decal sheet if you want to discover which guard regiment is secretly the most fash.

Edit: I can’t find the sheet now but the insignia is literally the symbol of the Afrika Korp with the swastika hot swapped for an eagle.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 23, 2023

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Nobody look up the Rogue Trader era banner Makari was waving around for Ghazghkull

Or the Ork Storm Boyz markings from that era either
Or the RT Storm Boyz uniforms

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
Turns out the most fash were actually the designers at GW all along.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Molrok posted:

Nobody look up the Rogue Trader era banner Makari was waving around for Ghazghkull

To be fair the old rogue trader stormboyz thing was deliberate and absolutely designed that way to satirise and take the piss out of fascists.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That yellow sickle on red also feels like it's getting somewhere. I'm thinking that early 2000s games-workshop was a good bit more into political imagery.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

my god what is that absolutely horrific beast pictured on the left most banner ew disgusting

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Might be a dumb question but can you have sustained hits and lethal hits at the same time?

Cadian bombard field guns with orders score sustained hits, plus the cadians not moving are lethal hits on a 6. Do you add a hit and roll to wound plus the auto wound hit?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

JBP posted:

Might be a dumb question but can you have sustained hits and lethal hits at the same time?

Cadian bombard field guns with orders score sustained hits, plus the cadians not moving are lethal hits on a 6. Do you add a hit and roll to wound plus the auto wound hit?

Yes, the 6 gives you an automatic would plus an extra hit which rolls to wound.

E: The steel legion lightning bolt’s been tweaked in art in the 9th edition codex to zigzag twice so it doesn’t look like anything real, and I’ve got a few pointed-at-both-ends ones on my army.

Since it was pointed out in here to me it looks like the BUF one I took a big one off a tank though and when I made a company banner I didn’t include it - after an image search to see what other people had done for SL banners I wanted to make sure it was completely non nazi.

ro5s fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 23, 2023

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Lostconfused posted:

That yellow sickle on red also feels like it's getting somewhere. I'm thinking that early 2000s games-workshop was a good bit more into political imagery.

they got the boomer lesbian axe, nice 😎

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't think fascist aesthetics makes playing an army a moral bad, for fucks sake I'm in the 40k thread and I'm currently painting up a Black Templars army which is like fascism squared, but it just always rubs me the wrong way how there's so much hand wringing over Krieg while poo poo like Steel Legion and even the Black Templars don't raise an eyebrow.

I still like Steel Legion, but that is very much so a SS rune inspired lighting bolt. They knew what they were doing when they designed that. I'm mostly commenting on the fact that Krieg takes all the heat, and seems to be the pet army of some neo-nazi types, despite Steel Legion clearly being the better choice for those people. I'm not saying anyone should feel bad about collecting either range.

Cease to Hope posted:

I mean the post I was replying to said that the Steel Legion was gone and for good reason. I agreed with that part lol

Gone in what way? The models aren't produced for sure, but as far as I know they didn't retcon them or anything. All I was pointing out was that an SS rune is explicitly more fascist in its aesthetics than an iron cross.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/23/heresy-thursday-this-thousand-sons-librarian-reasserts-dominance-over-the-immaterium/

If someone needed a new Sorcerer for their TS army GW just dropped on.
In resin. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They'll hopefully be back in plastic, if that decal sheet is any indication.

Sentinel chat reminded me that my brood brothers have liberated another long-lost asset:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I have an old Sentinel that I should repaint some day.
Not old as that one, but old enough that the armor plating for enclosed version came in metal. So still fairly old.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/23/recover-troves-of-powerful-archeotech-with-codex-adeptus-mechanicus/

Praise the Omnissiah, the Mechanicus crusade rules have been exloaded onto the noosphere for your viewing.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
What is the difference between the various Land Raider models? The Proteus model from 30k looks a bit cooler than the 40k models. Is there any issue with using it for my Custodes?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We were talking about custom armies a while back; when I restarted my Sisters force, I decided they would be a kind of informal crusade force resulting from the Great Rift. Basically, disparate elements of various orders that found themselves cut off and separated from the Imperium banding together into a larger force to both survive and try to aid planets stuck in the Rift. Because they had to build a new organization and couldn't get any instructions or input, they essentially created a new order so that any mistakes they made wouldn't reflect on their old orders. This let me use my own color scheme and also gave me a way to use the prior Order specialties if I wanted to.

Anyway I have never really liked the disparate Hereticus elements in the Sisters list, unless you lean heavily on that concept and have an Inquisitor, Priests, etc. it felt weird to just have a group of flagellants or something. In order to play Combat Patrol games though, I needed to figure out how to use the Penitent Engine. I decided the crusade would not shirk from repurposing machines, but instead of being used to torture penitents, they could use the engines to allow their most fervent warriors to continue fighting after grevious injury - which I've dubbed Martyr Engines. I doubt I'll ever use more than the one, because in bigger lists I'm just more inclined to Paragons, but it was a fun project:

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Ashcans posted:

I decided the crusade would not shirk from repurposing machines, but instead of being used to torture penitents, they could use the engines to allow their most fervent warriors to continue fighting after grevious injury - which I've dubbed Martyr Engines. I doubt I'll ever use more than the one, because in bigger lists I'm just more inclined to Paragons, but it was a fun project:

Improvised dreadnought! Looks really cool.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Virtual Russian posted:

Gone in what way? The models aren't produced for sure, but as far as I know they didn't retcon them or anything. All I was pointing out was that an SS rune is explicitly more fascist in its aesthetics than an iron cross.

They were notably de-emphasised in the 9th edition codex. There’s no steel legion trooper on the art page showing off the other notable regiments and iirc Armageddon’s barely mentioned.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Athas posted:

What is the difference between the various Land Raider models? The Proteus model from 30k looks a bit cooler than the 40k models. Is there any issue with using it for my Custodes?

You can build the Proteus so that it complies with WYSIWYG for a standard 40k Land Raider so I don't imagine it would be a problem for anyone.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I love the Martyr Engine. Reliquary of the Ardent Heart.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Geisladisk posted:

You can build the Proteus so that it complies with WYSIWYG for a standard 40k Land Raider so I don't imagine it would be a problem for anyone.

IIRC GW has even directly said that stuff like that is fine.

Ashcans posted:

We were talking about custom armies a while back; when I restarted my Sisters force, I decided they would be a kind of informal crusade force resulting from the Great Rift. Basically, disparate elements of various orders that found themselves cut off and separated from the Imperium banding together into a larger force to both survive and try to aid planets stuck in the Rift. Because they had to build a new organization and couldn't get any instructions or input, they essentially created a new order so that any mistakes they made wouldn't reflect on their old orders. This let me use my own color scheme and also gave me a way to use the prior Order specialties if I wanted to.

Anyway I have never really liked the disparate Hereticus elements in the Sisters list, unless you lean heavily on that concept and have an Inquisitor, Priests, etc. it felt weird to just have a group of flagellants or something. In order to play Combat Patrol games though, I needed to figure out how to use the Penitent Engine. I decided the crusade would not shirk from repurposing machines, but instead of being used to torture penitents, they could use the engines to allow their most fervent warriors to continue fighting after grevious injury - which I've dubbed Martyr Engines. I doubt I'll ever use more than the one, because in bigger lists I'm just more inclined to Paragons, but it was a fun project:

That's an awesome conversion! Love seeing people make their armies more unique.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thanks everyone! I was really fortunate the Paragon chestpiece fits into the gap really well so didn't require a lot of structural work, just adding stuff around it to make it look integrated.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
OK so my little Broodbrother Squad of psychos and looters are kind of morphing into an Inquisitor's Warband (of psychos and looters), because my AoS Freeguild Marshal showed up and I did this to them

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That is very :krad:

I was going to post the not-Callidus Death Cult Assassin I finished. But I realised I futzed up the pictures and they ended up a bit too bright to be good.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Shoehead posted:

OK so my little Broodbrother Squad of psychos and looters are kind of morphing into an Inquisitor's Warband (of psychos and looters), because my AoS Freeguild Marshal showed up and I did this to them

100% bad rear end

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

I would actually dig a new tallarn desert raiders using modern middle east militant aesthetics mixed in with bedouin/ottoman aesthetics but lol that would bequite the spicy meatball for games workshop

Tallarn raiders with coloured headbands allied with the Valhallans with hammer and sickles all over their stuff.

See how long it takes before someone starts ranting at you.

Mr Teatime posted:

Look up the old forgeworld Tallarn decal sheet if you want to discover which guard regiment is secretly the most fash.

Edit: I can’t find the sheet now but the insignia is literally the symbol of the Afrika Korp with the swastika hot swapped for an eagle.

Am I wrong in thinking that the Afrika Korps used a palm tree as their insignia? Vaguely remember seeing something like that on the FoW decal sheets.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Shoehead posted:

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Molrok posted:

the stormboyz started out as brace and boots nazi skinheads, as a joke that orks are disorganized so adolescent rebel orks would be into goose stepping and jackboots. they even used to be T3 since they aren't full-grown orks.