Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

There’s the Richmond night market just over the border and I had planned to go there until I found it you had to pay for tickets to pay for food at food trucks :wtf:

It’s just a bit ridiculous imo. I think the city is already making enough from taxes to support a market where they’re gonna also make money from the taxes on sale there. They are also paying the cops plenty and it’s their drat job to keep poo poo like that safe so they don’t need extra security.

It’s not ridiculous, it’s a scam to line contractors wallets and pay cops overtime as “event security”. I’m tired of this.
Ehhh. Cities revenues in america are generally very poor and hosed up. maybe it varies by city but most dont take in anything to very little on sales taxes. it's also a big labor endeavor on both organizers and public support to set them up with street closures, signage, arranging portapots, event hosts and stuff.

most of the time the free ones are put on by some sort of private downtown business guild / chamber of commerce types who collectively fund some annual events to drive business to their shops.

cop gang rackets are certainly insane though

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:13 on Nov 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

Love that 19% that doesn't want a four-day work week. Real go-getters. Those people are going places.

they're the ones who don't poo poo at work

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1726976509603385359

sign me up for a four day weekday working at home

i'm on a 9/80 schedule and i can confirm the alternating weeks i get a 4-day work week kick rear end. my TC day is also thursday rolling into the CDO Friday so I get basically a 4-day weekend every other week.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol i'm on a standard 5 day 40 hour week and i get every single friday off because my bosses are all on 9/80

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Love that 19% that doesn't want a four-day work week. Real go-getters. Those people are going places.

Nobody wants to twerk.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

They want 3-day weeks. :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

They want to quit

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You know what the difference is between a Tesla and a Pinto? You need to hit the Pinto before it explodes.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Xaris posted:

and the problem with American christmas (or any type) markets is there isn't really any boutique local craftmans industry at all anymore to any appreciable degree, like you'd find in european christmas markets. so like at least half is just dropshipped mass-produced stuff. and when there is mulled wine or whatever (if at all), it's like $10 vs $2

I think there are a few reasons you couldn’t have christmas markets in the US like in Europe. first, because our puritanical laws against drinking in public. second, the European christmas market vendors mostly sell a narrow range of traditional foods, but there are no American parallels of traditional christmas foods to sell. third, I’m guessing the climate in most major American cities is warmer than Europe during christmas with little to no snow, so it wouldn’t have the same vibe here. lastly, the fact that Americans cannot loving walk anywhere further than a block or two

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

In Training posted:

They want to quit

I mean yes I do want a zero-day work week so I guess I'm the 19%.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

An extra two hours of work a day in a 40 hour work week is a small price to pay for three day weekends.

DickParasite posted:

I mean yes I do want a zero-day work week so I guess I'm the 19%.

:same:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
consumer/service economy will never get fewer working hours. maybe the WFHers will but suffering is baked into the american economy for the rest of us.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

~20% of the stalls at your average Weihnachtsmarkt today in like Germany / Switzerland / Austria are Alibaba toys & trinkets. another 10% are like MLMs. Food is about 70% traditional. my local one has mexican, thai, indian, and greek food stands

still an excellent vibe, but I'm a bit worried about the trajectory

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
tried to update my UBlock Origin and I keep getting this instead

Cope
Nov 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xH1vBuDbBA

HOLDING IS A USE CASE.

It's called store of value.

I see people post things like, "Bitcoin is meant to be used. If 70% hasn't moved, then it's not being used."

A post like this assumes that Bitcoin's utility is only being met if it is spent to purchase something. But why would I use Bitcoin to buy something when I can use a softer currency like USD? I live in a major city. There are merchants around me that accept Bitcoin, but I still don't spend it.

The only time I'll EVER use Bitcoin to buy something is if I've run out of fiat USD, or if the merchant ONLY accepts Bitcoin. So until then, it'll remain in cold storage.

---

Bitcoin's properties are and always will be unique to bitcoin.

Could another coin be created? Yes. But ask yourself, who would do the creating?

Imagine you want to be the guy to create a new one. You clone bitcoin code, change some variables and names, and then put it out there. Or even get clever and write a new protocol from scratch, it doesn't matter. Then what? Who is going to use it? Nobody seems to care. So you assemble a marketing team or invite your friends and families to "invest" their dollars to bring you funds needed to get developers, servers and marketing to get the word out. Maybe you entice these friends by giving them some coins upfront before anybody in the public could have a chance to obtain them fairly. Still it's just you and a handful of colleagues running your nodes in a very centralized fashion, trying to entice the world at large to come play with you in a decentralized and leaderless way, despite being centralized with leadership.

You see the problem here? You are a person or small group of people with financial incentives to "pump" your new coin to the world. And for what reason? So you can ultimately exit - i.e.. "dump" your coins on retail.

Everything that's NOT bitcoin, was created in this way, with these motivations. A person or people who created the coin and remain in control of the coin or token with the intention of profit.

Bitcoin was created and given to the world by an anonymous person before there was any monetary incentive, and it grew in a grass-roots way without any leadership, without any central authority or early/insider/unfair access to profits.

This sort of "immaculate conception" can only happen once. All the imitators will can never share Bitcoin's best properties, in part because Satoshi Nakamoto is unique among crypto creators. It appears he/she/they acted without an interest in personal gain, considering none of their coins have ever moved.

---

The dollar will continue to fall against Bitcoin

Why? I can't speak to other nations, but I can guarantee you that the debt of the United States will be inflated away. In practice it will be a soft default, and the quality of pensions and entitlements will be inflated away. There is no need to cut spending, if you simply devalue it via inflation, and it's far easier politically to deal with it that way. I cannot recommend Nate Hagens two recent podcasts enough:
Luke Gromen: "Peak Cheap Oil and the Global Reserve Currency" | The Great Simplification #91
Doomberg: "Our Fragile Energy Economy" | The Great Simplification #83

The dollar is clearly overvalued at the moment, but international trade is still reliant on it, which even hints at a deliberate printing of excess dollars, that are traded for international assets while time still is. This will only last so long. There is a few terminal events that have and will take place. When the US defaulted on bonds held by the Russian state with the war in Ukraine as the official cause, it in simple terms signaled to all US trade partners, that the US is willing to default on debt if they don't like you. China saw that, and the Chinese is divesting as bonds and treasuries mature. This is maybe the first nail in the coffin, as US dollars can be increasingly risky to hold if you are politically vulnerable.

The question then remains on the extent that large countries and commodity producing countries are willing to increasingly hold other currencies than the dollar for international trade. Rather then saying that the dollar will be replaced, its possible we will see a bit of a multipolar currency regime, where rubles, yuan, dollars and the rupee will "normalize" their exchange rates. The value of the dollar will decline, imports will be more expensive and yes inflation will arise. And its possible that only way out for the Americans is war, which is the scary part.
So yeah, there are domestic reasons for increased inflation, while international political shifts take effect as well.
Whether the nominal debt is 10 or 100 trillion matters not. Nobody feels that. What matters is the future price of eggs, bread. potatoes, concrete, oil and gas in hours worked equivalents. All but a tiny few will feel that.

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1TqiPpyJs

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

webcams for christ posted:

~20% of the stalls at your average Weihnachtsmarkt today in like Germany / Switzerland / Austria are Alibaba toys & trinkets. another 10% are like MLMs. Food is about 70% traditional. my local one has mexican, thai, indian, and greek food stands

still an excellent vibe, but I'm a bit worried about the trajectory

I mean, compared to here in Freedomland where I'd expect to see a $100 door fee to access a street with 50% Alibaba garbage, 30% chain restaurants that have marked everything up by 50% for the "event" and are refusing all coupons, and 20% food trucks that are just whatever happened to be around ("Come get your Christmas Frito pie!") plus maybe an ATM with a $10 withdrawal fee somewhere on the block and a random Bitcoin ATM because why not this country runs on scams, that sounds like a loving mythical wonderland.

Cope
Nov 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Kreeblah posted:

plus maybe an ATM with a $10 withdrawal fee somewhere on the block and a random Bitcoin ATM

Kreeblah posted:

Bitcoin ATM

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1727607932995678633

this is just interesting to me because I live in the US and the symptoms I've had for the last day or so sound a lot like this "Mycoplasma pneumonia"

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
it's covid. nothing else is half as contagious as covid. the chance of getting anything else circulating is vanishingly small with that in play. they have covid. you have covid. everybody does.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

hmmm

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

maxwellhill posted:

it's covid. nothing else is half as contagious as covid. the chance of getting anything else circulating is vanishingly small with that in play. they have covid. you have covid. everybody does.

Could be. Then again, China has higher rates of Pneumonia than average and Covid does gently caress up your immune system

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Could be a new strain?

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1726976509603385359

sign me up for a four day weekday working at home

Would not be surprised to see that of that 81% of people, those working from home are already putting in 10 hour days (no commute, lunch at a home office desk) so it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Kreeblah posted:

I mean, compared to here in Freedomland where I'd expect to see a $100 door fee to access a street with 50% Alibaba garbage, 30% chain restaurants that have marked everything up by 50% for the "event" and are refusing all coupons, and 20% food trucks that are just whatever happened to be around ("Come get your Christmas Frito pie!") plus maybe an ATM with a $10 withdrawal fee somewhere on the block and a random Bitcoin ATM because why not this country runs on scams, that sounds like a loving mythical wonderland.

I remember the last time I went to a flea market 50% of the stands were selling Funko pops and the rest was literal rusted garbage. Otherwise it was the exact same as this

Dogshit country

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The internet just kinda replaced and destroyed flea markets now you can get literally any imaginable knick-knack, curio and merchandise just by ordering it online and having it shipped to your door, and you can even get all kinds of item custom made by commission. There's very little real obscurity anymore.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah those places still exist but they've largely become hollowed out shells of what they were, occupied by a lot of vendors who sell like discounted shampoo or tools that probably fell off a truck. The only place you can find genuine oddities is to go directly to the source; yard, garage, block, and estate sales. Even those will probably die out after a generation or so.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Another American success story :patriot:

https://twitter.com/buccocapital/status/1727479615873007736

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

last time I went to a flea market someone was selling a pretty nice clarinet for $50. should’ve bought it but I haven’t played in 20 years

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
last time i went to a flea market i got some boiled peanuts and a rice cooker in a dented box at a huge discount. also saw a vendor selling assorted ammunition loose in a plastic tub but forgot to get a photo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
There will always be a knife guy and for that I'm grateful

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

last time I went to a flea market I bought a copy of Wizardry 1 original in box for the Mac II for 5 dollars because I liked the dragon on the box

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Paradoxish posted:

They hate their family and work is an oasis

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

err posted:

consumer/service economy will never get fewer working hours. maybe the WFHers will but suffering is baked into the american economy for the rest of us.

hopefully it's on the table for tradies

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

Dogshit country

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

There will always be a knife guy and for that I'm grateful

knife guy ftw

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

War and Pieces posted:

hopefully it's on the table for tradies

if trade workers worked less hours the divorce lawyer industry would instantly collapse

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
They're going to be selling Trump merch at flea markets for the rest of our lives

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Exodus1984 posted:

Would not be surprised to see that of that 81% of people, those working from home are already putting in 10 hour days (no commute, lunch at a home office desk) so it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice.

but that would lead to the ruin in our democracy of commercial landlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

War and Pieces posted:

They're going to be selling Trump merch at flea markets for the rest of our lives

idk if thats better or worse than confederate flags