Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don’t even own a music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Folk saying they don't like sleep next (yes I know some people say this to be contrarian because it would mean they could spend more waking hours playing Nintendo games).
I don't understand people who say they like sleep. What is there to like? You literally don't experience it. Dreams? I rarely remember them and when they do they're exactly as stupid and boring as listening to other people describe their dreams. I forget them very quickly and would rather not remember them at all. And other than dreams there's nothing else to it. You close your eyes and next thing you know you're awake again. You might as well not exist for the duration. Is that what you're saying you like? Not existing?

Now enjoying being in bed I get. Love to lie in bed reading a book or watching TV or playing with my phone or anything, really. Bed's comfortable. No one bothers me there. But actually sleeping? I'd give it up in a heartbeat if I had the option.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I used to feel the same but then I realised that other people feel refreshed and energetic after sleep, and then it turned out that the reason I was so tired all the time was because I stop breathing during my sleep, so now I need a small quiet machine and a mask and sleeping is good again

hth op

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

alexandriao posted:

I used to feel the same but then I realised that other people feel refreshed and energetic after sleep, and then it turned out that the reason I was so tired all the time was because I stop breathing during my sleep, so now I need a small quiet machine and a mask and sleeping is good again

hth op

Oh, no, I like not being tired. I enjoy having slept. I would just prefer to be able to feel that way without having to dedicate so much time to it. It's like, do I enjoy video games? Sure. Does that mean I enjoy waiting several hours for them to download? No. If I could get the good bit without the time-wasting that would be ideal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Issaries posted:

Either you listen bad music or you listen death metal.
But I repeat myself.

A lot of classical and electronic stuff, 90s and 00s alt stuff too though. Basically no metal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Issaries posted:

Either you listen bad music or you listen death metal.
But I repeat myself.

Death metal is the best genre that has ever existed or ever will

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

Oh, no, I like not being tired. I enjoy having slept. I would just prefer to be able to feel that way without having to dedicate so much time to it. It's like, do I enjoy video games? Sure. Does that mean I enjoy waiting several hours for them to download? No. If I could get the good bit without the time-wasting that would be ideal.

I was chatting to my wife about scifi machines recently, and I realised that one I really wish existed was Judge Dredd's Total Relaxation Inducer. A full night's sleep in ten minutes? Yes please!

That said, I like the feeling of dozing. The half asleep state I really enjoy. If that was sleep, I'd love sleeping.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The first time I read Beggars in Spain, I was jealous of the Sleepless... at first. I finally decided that while it'd be very convenient not to NEED to sleep, I'd still like to be ABLE to sleep.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I like the experience of sleeping, of fading in and out of consciousness, being comfortable and warm in a semi-dreamlike state

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I finally decided that while it'd be very convenient not to NEED to sleep, I'd still like to be ABLE to sleep.

Why?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Sleeping is a pleasant way to pass the time

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Better than the alternative: insomnia, which sucks rear end.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Strange we have “sleep” and “asleep”, two words almost exactly the same to describe the same activity. What a world we live in.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

oldpainless posted:

Strange we have “sleep” and “asleep”, two words almost exactly the same to describe the same activity. What a world we live in.

Well one’s a noun and the other’s an adjective

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Sleeping is a pleasant way to pass the time

It isn't though. It's neither pleasant nor unpleasant. It's nothing.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tiggum posted:

It isn't though. It's neither pleasant nor unpleasant. It's nothing.

Did you see my previous post? Not all of us are fully unconscious during sleep

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

TiggumGPT trying to learn how these frustratingly illogical humans associate irrelevant prompts such as "pleasant" with "sleep"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The 'asleep' bit, is in fairness, not experienced. It's the liminal states that are the nice bits.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Did you see my previous post? Not all of us are fully unconscious during sleep

Surely that's just the "being in bed, not asleep" part though? When you're actually asleep you're asleep, right?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
holy poo poo

piss

these jabronis never heard of dreams

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sad for people with no dreams. I would prefer never sleeping though. I got poo poo I want to do that I don't have time to

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I remember once meeting a new employee when I worked in Tesco who insisted they don't like food, just the sheer act of putting food in their mouth made them feel uncomfortable and they hadn't encountered a food they actually liked.

Look its one thing to say you don't like the Beatles, that's fair, but to say you don't like food? I just don't know how peoples brains got to their current state.

I'm pretty sure that's an actual medical condition of some sort where some people just can't deal with the taste or texture of food.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tiggum posted:

Surely that's just the "being in bed, not asleep" part though? When you're actually asleep you're asleep, right?

It’s not a binary

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Vandar posted:

I'm pretty sure that's an actual medical condition of some sort where some people just can't deal with the taste or texture of food.

Yeah, ARFID:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant/restrictive_food_intake_disorder

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

holy poo poo

piss

these jabronis never heard of dreams

they probably have aphantasia, it's fine

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I remember once meeting a new employee when I worked in Tesco who insisted they don't like food, just the sheer act of putting food in their mouth made them feel uncomfortable and they hadn't encountered a food they actually liked.
I enjoy food, obviously (oh wait, you can't see me. I'm fat). But if I could magically go without eating, I would. I dislike how much time it takes to plan, prepare, and eat. I'm a pretty bland cook and don't really enjoy the process. I dislike the endless conversations about what to have for dinner. I have always been a very picky eater because of issues I have with textures and such that I have never been able to comfortably just "eat whatever." I envy those who can. Then sprinkle all the bullshit that comes with obesity on top, and yeah, there's a bit of an unhealthy relationship with food that I would be happy to be rid of.

Edit:
Oh poo poo! :aaaaa:

Ommin has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Nov 24, 2023

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Jesus that condition sounds terrible.

Those people need to get fixed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
edit: wrong thread

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Aramek posted:

Jesus that condition sounds terrible.

Those people need to get fixed.

Seems a bit severe when they haven't even established it's heritable.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Someone complaining about others using rice cookers is an all time this thread rear end this thread moment.

Aramek posted:

Many years ago on the forums here I remember reading a post from some goon where she said every time she goes on a blind date she always tells the guy "I only listen to rap, country, and top 40" and she kept being surprised at how many of them would have an aneurysm.

Owns.

drat I thought that was an original bit I was doing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
edit: wrong thread

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Here's a PHUO; this thread needs to change it's tag so I stop confusing it for another thread with a similar tag

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tiggum posted:

No there are a number of in-between states

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

IME of having a literal sleep disorder that only got diagnosed because of people I was living with going "holy loving poo poo", the only times I've actually hated sleep and not experienced any in-between state were the times when I was so sleep deprived I fell asleep during movies and while upright.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Gaius Marius posted:

Sad for people with no dreams. I would prefer never sleeping though. I got poo poo I want to do that I don't have time to

A machine with no soul could perhaps do without dreams. That is not something to aspire to.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

tbh sleep is the only reason capitalists allow us to go home in the first place

doverhog
May 31, 2013

alexandriao posted:

tbh sleep is the only reason capitalists allow us to go home in the first place

The capitalists are trapped in the same world, they know they are beings of flesh yet they must work just to get the numbers up. Pitiable creatures.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

The capitalists are trapped in the same world, they know they are beings of flesh yet they must work just to get the numbers up. Pitiable creatures.

If you have enough numbers you can make someone else work while you sleep all day

doverhog
May 31, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

If you have enough numbers you can make someone else work while you sleep all day

Well said. The masters that own things but do not ever work are not pitiable, they are contemptible and stealing the labor of humankind. They are the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Dreams come in three varieties: bad dreams, good dreams, and nonsensical dreams. I'm not a fan of any of them. Good dreams are the worst because you wake up confused and disappointed and it ends up souring your whole day. I once had a dream about a beautiful woman listing all the reasons she loved me and it was maybe the worst nightmare I ever had.