Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

is something happening in the north of China?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/23/china-respiratory-illness-spike-children-who

they have off-the-charts levels of immunity debt

quote:

Ben Cowling, an epidemiologist at Hong Kong University, told Reuters: “It is just a relatively large seasonal surge, perhaps partly due to chance and partly because there’s a bit of ‘immunity debt’ from the lesser winter surges in the last three years”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The immunity debt narrative has never had a heavyweight factual foundation, but it’s a really goddamn awful hypothesis when one considers how much, or rather little, of the Chinese population was in LOCKDOWN and for how long.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
oh I think we have an immunity debt

because COVID cashed some checks in us

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
well half of the Thanksgiving guests aren’t coming due to illness. wondering if the plateau that’s been locally ia going to take off now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I clicked this link out of curiosity:

..... and got a :lmao: in return

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

sonatinas posted:

well half of the Thanksgiving guests aren’t coming due to illness. wondering if the plateau that’s been locally ia going to take off now

kind of nervous that i haven't heard _any_ guests dropping out of ours due to illness. half of them work in or attend high school.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

sonatinas posted:

haha

yeah yesterday we got word that one of the guests for my inlaws' big thanksgiving has the flu but is coming anyway.

it's my wife's aunt's second husband lmao, the least-connected member of the family, and clearly demonstrating that fact by not giving a single poo poo about them. just disgusting. stay home you fuckin old dingbat. good thing we won't be there at all!!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah I'm in what is essentially *the* lung and heart transplant hospital for all of Australia. They sometimes fly people in from Perth 3,400km away just to do it. It just happened to be my local public hospital too though. When I arrived I didn't even know I had a heart attack and was just being extra cautious. Didn't even plan to stay one night.

There's a decent chance I have surgery on Saturday, barring another transplant. Can't say I love the idea of a surgeon having to work overtime to patch me up though.

all the best. fingers crossed for you.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Did thanksgiving for just the wife and I, we already prefer staying in and chilling this time of year so selling it to the family isn’t too hard, (that’s tougher on Christmas).

Everyone in my office was getting sick the week or two before this break, we can telework but they’d show up and go talk to everyone before dipping out early for reasons I can’t fathom. It’s probably just because I’ve changed jobs to more of an office setting since the start of the pandemic but I feel like it’s really been sweeping through people I know this year. previously you’d hear of cases but it’d be more like a coworkers friend/extended family whereas this fall it always feels like there’s someone sick around me. Of course it’s never Covid and of course they never test but even if it were just some mysterious super flu I wish they wouldn’t be so cavalier about spreading it. like we’re a cushy gov job you will not get reprimanded for calling in.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

DarkLich posted:

It's not always comfortable, but it doesn't get in the way of being social and friendly. My plan for Thanksgiving is to eat in the garage away from everyone else. I'm sure they'd rather have me at the dinner table, but in my experience, folks are generally glad you're just making the effort to be present.

Is this one of those loving and supporting family things? I wish that I felt that way, because my lived experience has been that making the effort to Be There (in an N95!) resulted in getting told to take it off, with unhappiness when refused.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Gunshow Poophole posted:

haha

yeah yesterday we got word that one of the guests for my inlaws' big thanksgiving has the flu but is coming anyway.

it's my wife's aunt's second husband lmao, the least-connected member of the family, and clearly demonstrating that fact by not giving a single poo poo about them. just disgusting. stay home you fuckin old dingbat. good thing we won't be there at all!!

these ill people and other people removing from illness may be over tomorrow for a bigger event, just real cool…

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My folks quarantined and tested and we did thanksgiving last weekend. Now their normal thanksgiving was cancelled due to someone else's illness. At least it happened beforehand.

Now we're both having separate chill thanksgivings. Making thanksgiving Croque Madams with leftover ham. Hell yes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

is something happening in the north of China?

Sars Covid 3

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Saw someone wearing a boat-style KN95 with the top nose flap either folded down and in or cut off entirely. ???

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

fosborb posted:

2 year old nephew is staying the night in the hospital with rsv, flu and covid (negative for strep!)

he of course most likely caught all that at last week's funeral for his cousin, who was an extremely immunocompromised 8 year old battling a lung infection and covid (caught most likely from his visiting grandparents!) overwhelmed his body within 2 days

been a long week

Are adults ever going to stop killing vulnerable kids?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
annd I can't smell again. What a weird virus.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
happy thanksgiving, friends!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

lol indeed

i couldn't really taste dinner at all but now my smell is working again so I had coffee at 9pm because my sleep is hosed anyway and who knows if I'll be able to taste coffee in the morning so carpe diem

periodically just taking a huff of the smell of weed concentrate, too

smell every terp as though it were your last, never know when it might be

(I am not vaping the concentrate because of the COVID but I have had hella tincture)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

if u can't smell microwave popcorn that's when u know it's bad

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I'm basically getting all (at a muted level) or nothing, and weirdly, sometimes after I blow my nose it gets a LOT better, other times this has no effect.

It seems like there's a combination of congestion and some specific COVID thing, which is sorta flitting back and forth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

maxwellhill posted:

happy thanksgiving, friends!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
lol i got more grief about my mask from my generic dem, vegetarian, environmentalist mom than anybody else. my never-trumper truck driver uncle just thought the valve was neat and asked me where i could get them because truck stops smell like rear end.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I had thanksgiving with 3 other COVID positive people :toot:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I had thanksgiving with 3 other COVID positive people :toot:

based positive thanksgivign

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
our kids table thanksgiving went about as well as expected but

my MIL just spontaneously came by, clearly ill herself, to take one of our nieces home at the end of the dinner.

which then triggered an hour long serious conversation with my wife about my obvious anger issues, me drinking, and her family's proximity and cavalier disregard, with a soupçon of our obvious communication failures as regards risk generally.

hoo boy go holiday love da holidays, worked five hours today, goin righ back to the shop tomorrow

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My step mother texts us on Saturday saying they have covid but its ok because they're on day 3 so they'll be fine for today....except she cant get Pax and is doing infusions of remdesiver....but my father decided to tell me on Monday he was not taking any meds at all....but they still wanted to come.

Whyare people trying to kill us?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pillowpants posted:

tradition

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Most peoples internal monologue at this point is probably just a constant death metal blood curdling scream "N O R M A L"

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Pillowpants posted:

My step mother texts us on Saturday saying they have covid but its ok because they're on day 3 so they'll be fine for today....except she cant get Pax and is doing infusions of remdesiver....but my father decided to tell me on Monday he was not taking any meds at all....but they still wanted to come.

Covidyceps mixed with cognitive dissonance unfortunately. I'm half-not joking. Before covid, it was mostly acceptable to miss a social event if you weren't feeling well. Now it's a loving mind crime to even suggest not going somewhere while visibly sick.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

had Thanksgiving at my sisters. ate on the patio while everyone else ate inside. They opened the patio doors so that we could yell at each other

sister‘s friend brought her kids, who had a pet bird

Pretty good Thanksgiving

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Steve Yun posted:

sister‘s friend brought her kids, who had a pet bird

Pretty good Thanksgiving

Smart little budgie, hanging out with the one person guaranteed to keep it safe from bird flu

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Had thanksgiving in an aurs and other people started talking about covid with no prompting from me.

general consensus: not really a thing they think about anymore despite having lost multiple friends every single year for the past three years directly to covid and knowing a lot of people who have lost family and friends to covid every single year. wait times at the er tho grrrrrr aaaahhh

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Over here I had a lovely Thanksgiving with my husband and kitties. I baked last night and finished cooking, save for the usual basting, by mid-afternoon and he made the rest fresh. All together was a whole chicken (juicy!), 1 lb. stuffing, roasted potatoes, steamed asparagus, mini cornbread muffins, biscuits, and pumpkin pie. We did our usual holiday tradition of loading up on RiffTrax and have leftovers set for days. So drat thankful we've got each other.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I made a career best roast bird today, home was well ventilated and my cats are still dickheads to each other

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/bnofeed/status/1727789994595496388?s=46

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
oh well if it's just a huge wave of illnesses we already know about, unprecedented in volume and severity, that's ok then.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CDC urgently inquiring as to whether dogs and not COVID might be to blame.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I could totally believe that Covid immunocompromise let other respiratory viruses run unfettered

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

CDC urgently inquiring as to whether dogs and not COVID might be to blame.

Boy are we going to have egg on our faces if that mystery dog respiratory disease makes the jump over to humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Mola Yam posted:

oh well if it's just a huge wave of illnesses we already know about, unprecedented in volume and severity, that's ok then.

lol the desire to go “it’s not covid, it’s just something normal” has mutated over time to the point where “it’s not a new covid, it’s just covid” is a headline that can happen.

Proving once again that all we got herd immunity to was giving a poo poo. The main take home from this story isn’t that something bad is happening, or something unexpected, it’s that the bad unexpected thing that’s happening is because of stuff we’re already fine with, do not change your plans

Here’s reuters in case somebody wants something other than bno https://www.reuters.com/world/china/who-asks-china-details-respiratory-illness-outbreaks-2023-11-23/,