Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Surgery update, I'm being transferred to a private hospital because apparently the alternative was to send me home after I got bumped for the transplant recipient. Pretty shocking and disappointing.

I have a very complex immigration and private health insurance situation and literally no one can give me a 100% sure answer on private surgery costs, or even the same answer as anyone else. I suspect I won't find out until a bill shows up after.

Canada where I'm from (or at least BC) doesn't even really have private options as far as I know, so this insurance poo poo is all new to me and the exact opposite thing someone recovering from a heart attack should be dealing with.

So glad I have the "freedom to choose" as American politicians like to say.

Still no firm date for surgery. But apparently it's locked in at the new place once I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought that in Australia, the public hospitals do the real serious heart surgeries, the best surgeons are public? private is for stuff like hips and knees.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Bald Stalin posted:

I thought that in Australia, the public hospitals do the real serious heart surgeries, the best surgeons are public? private is for stuff like hips and knees.

Well, if it isn't my old friend, UnfortunateSexFart! With a heart for a knee, and a knee for a heart!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems the wastewater data keeps trending up here in Finland..... And I thought situation was bad a year ago, welp. Seems it has probably never been as bad as now. Basically a hockey stick graph.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I could totally believe that Covid immunocompromise let other respiratory viruses run unfettered

Yeah this poo poo happened here in Korea back in April and summer.
But that didn't make the news because they didn't make capital upset by keeping restrictions up as long as China did. They must continually be punished.

quote:

https://m.hani.co.kr/arti/society/society_general/1089575.html

Any pediatric clinic in Korea is currently slammed.

Parents showing up with children with pneumonia and fevers waiting hours for visits.

Even showing up an hour before the clinic opens they are #43 in queue.

Remote waiting lists for clinics via an app completely fill up in 2~5 minutes after opening registrations.

Seasonal flu cases grew 58% over the last 5 weeks. Viral accute respiratory infections up 94% in the last month.

"How can you raise a child in a country like this?"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

its been cold and flu season since June dont forget. we were bound to see some outbreaks

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I haven't seen much about the how and why of ventilation since 2020, so I was kinda surprised to see something in public from a nominally normal source (KQED is a PBS-affiliated radiostation). Moreover it is mostly correct. Brought here in crossheader and subcrossheader form:

https://www.kqed.org/news/11967946/covid-ventilation-guide-indoors-windows posted:

How to Ventilate Your Home For Thanksgiving to Help Reduce COVID Risks
(..)
Filtering the air at Thanksgiving
(..)
Use an air purifier
(..)
Use your air conditioning (if you have it)
(..)
No air purifier? Try making your own
(..)
How to open your windows to create maximum airflow
(..)
Try to open more than one window around a room
(..)
but think carefully about where you seat your guests
(..)
Run a test to see how air is coming in or out
(..)
Only got one window? Still open that
(..)
Use portable fans to help that existing airflow move
(..)
Got a skylight? Check if it opens
(..)
Use your bathroom fan
(..)
Getting chilly inside? Dont be afraid of using a heater
(..)
Tell us: What else do you need information about?
(..)

I want to highlight that last crosshead. The text following it are about them asking for question to make actionable guides COVID safety, which is very cool, but also a stark reminder of how public health institutions have failed. This is the type of stuff that should be made from a centralized public office, not a small radiostation in the San Fransisco.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Gildiss posted:

Most peoples internal monologue at this point is probably just a constant death metal blood curdling scream "N O R M A L"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Article collation, from the claim, the facts and the tools that :airquote:we have:airquote: (I am playing a bit dirty by switching back and forth between UK and US).

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/nov/23/ofsted-report-england-schools-social-contract-absenteeism-amanda-spielman posted:

Hostility between parents and schools has grown since Covid, says Ofsted head
Annual report on Englands schools highlights absenteeism, disruptive behaviour and parental challenges to rules

The unwritten agreement between parents and schools in England has broken since the Covid crisis, according to Ofsteds chief inspector, Amanda Spielman, with pupil absences remaining stubbornly high and disruptive behaviour now more common.

Delivering her final annual report in the role, Spielman said she had noticed a disturbing shift in attitudes among pupils and parents.

This breakdown is feeding into a troubling shift in attendance, in attitudes, in behaviour since the pandemic. Absenteeism has become a stubborn problem. Some of that is down to illness, including mental health problems, but nevertheless disruptive behaviour has become more common.

Its a problem in colleges as well. And its clear that theres more friction between schools and parents, who are increasingly willing to challenge school rules.
(..)

Oddly it seems said "shift in attitude" follows along class lines.

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/21/student-chronic-absenteeism-covid-recovery posted:

15 million students chronically miss school in post-COVID spike
Share of schools where more than 30% of students were chronically absent, by poverty concentration level

(..)

Perhaps exploring other absences among the poor would be more constructive, than blaming them for illness with the absolutely incredible "down to illness, including mental (..), but". A couple of absences I - humbly - suggest exploring:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-covid-vaccines-for-young-children-have-been-hard-to-get/ posted:

Why COVID Vaccines for Young Children Have Been Hard to Get
Access to pediatric COVID vaccines has been hampered by a shortage of doses, higher costs to providers and parental skepticism
(..)
Throughout much of the U.S.and in rural areas, in particularaccess to pediatric COVID vaccines is severely limited. Parents are driving long distances to obtain them, and in many cases, theyre being turned away by pharmacies that refuse to vaccinate young children and doctors offices that havent ordered pediatric doses.
(..)
A complex web of factors is contributing to the problem. But at the heart of the matter are challenges associated with the transition from a government-supplied product to one in which providers are also having to buy COVID vaccines on commercial markets, says Claire Hannan, executive director of the Association of Immunization Managers (AIM), a nonprofit group that coordinates with state health agencies to boost vaccination rates.
(..)
Were asking medical providers to purchase expensive vaccines up front in the hopes that theyll be paid back on schedules that range from 30 days to never. Its the worst business model ever. Rebecca Weintraub, an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School, agrees. Drug companies are churning out ample quantities of COVID vaccines, so supply isnt the issue, she says. Its that procurement from clinical sites is decreasing.

Pharmacies also provide the shots. By federal law, they can vaccinate children aged three and older. (Younger kids have to go to a medical doctor.) But in many cases, they are offering COVID shots only on restricted schedules, such as during weekdays, which means taking kids out of school, adds Dora Mills, a medical epidemiologist at MaineHealth, Maines largest provider of health care services.
(..)
Mills insists that the government has to assure better and more convenient access to the shotsfor example, by offering them in schools, day cares and other community settings. Its mind-boggling to me that here in the United States, were still doling out vaccines based on your insurance status, she says. Vaccines are like water on a fire. Why not provide them [for free] across the board?

The factors mentioned especially apply to the working poor and their access, while the obvious solution proposed would benefit them disproportionately.

tl;dr: The initial assertion is correct: the social contract has been broken and is the cause of disruption. It is just that the break was made when poor children got thrown to the respiratory disease wolves, to save pence on the dollar.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
A different item I had considered including above, but which deserves its own post:
"Bipolar ionization rapidly inactivates real-world, airborne concentrations of infective respiratory viruses"

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0293504 posted:

Abstract
The SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) pandemic has highlighted the urgent need for strategies that rapidly inactivate airborne respiratory viruses and break the transmission cycle of indoor spaces. Air ions can reduce viable bacteria, mold, and virus counts, however, most studies use small test enclosures with target microbes and ion sources in close vicinity. To evaluate ion performance in real-world spaces, experiments were conducted in a large, room-size BSL-3 Chamber. Negative and positive ions were delivered simultaneously using a commercially available bipolar air ion device. The device housed Needle Point Bipolar ionization (NPBI) technology. Large chamber studies often use unrealistically high virus concentrations to ensure measurable virus is present at the trial end. However, excessively high viral concentrations bias air cleaning devices towards underperformance. Hence, devices that provide a substantial impact for protecting occupants in real-world spaces with real-world virus concentrations are often dismissed as poor performers. Herein, both real-world and excessive virus concentrations were studied using Influenza A and B, Human Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), and the SARS-CoV-2 Alpha and Delta strains. The average ion concentrations ranged from 4,100 to 24,000 per polarity over 60-minute and 30-minute time trials. The reduction rate was considerably greater for trials that used real-world virus concentrations, reducing infectivity for Influenza A and B, RSV, and SARS-CoV-2 Delta by 88.399.98% in 30 minutes, whereas trials using in-excess concentrations showed 49.561.2% in 30 minutes. These findings strongly support the addition of NPBI ion technology to building management strategies aimed to protect occupants from contracting and spreading infective respiratory viruses indoors.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Aranet4 is on black friday sale at Amazon for $150. I think that's the lowest price I've seen.

Levoit Core 300 & 400 are both on small discounts too.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Pingui posted:

A different item I had considered including above, but which deserves its own post:
"Bipolar ionization rapidly inactivates real-world, airborne concentrations of infective respiratory viruses"

Both authors are employed (2nd as a consultant ) by the experiment funder, GPS air (https://gpsair.com/).

Guess what they make and sell, etc.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

To be clear, that's not an immediate kiss-of-death for the research validity or whatever. But it's a caution flag.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Rescue Toaster posted:

Aranet4 is on black friday sale at Amazon for $150. I think that's the lowest price I've seen.

Levoit Core 300 & 400 are both on small discounts too.

How do these compare to the CR cubes? They're more convenient, probably, and since I use 3M Filtrete 2800 filters the Levoit may be cheaper, but I'm more interested in effectiveness.

I haven't had to put a CR to the viral test, but I did let mine run overnight next to a vintage wooden desk that had spent 69 years (not nice) in a smoky/musty house. It currently smells amazing. My filters are trashed, but the desk has no odor. I know that smoke, dust, and viruses have different particle sizes, but if I wasn't a cube believer before I would be one now.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Levoits are good, slightly less brute forceful than a cube, slightly more convenient / aesthetic. I run two C300s and a c400 in my house.

customer service on one with a busted/whiney particulate sampler was "send us a video, we'll send you a replacement" and they did. Couple other goons have had less than stellar experience with QC/customer service but no complaints

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Pingui posted:

No one could have etc. etc. (unfortunately the graphics are hosed up, so I'll just note what the highlighted line is above each graphic)

Archived link: https://archive.li/lcqEK

From a little bit back but IMO the US Bureau of Labor Statistics CPS data on disability is probably the best way to understand the real-world pandemic chronic health impact on the public over time and it's been interesting to see it get more media attention and analysis such as this NY Times article. Looking at the data it's hard to escape the conclusion that the pandemic has caused ~1% of the working age population to develop significant cognitive problems so far, and it appears most reasonable analyses arrive at this conclusion. The increase in disability rate with time doesn't appear to be slowing either, which is not a comfortable observation. It shouldn't be too surprising though as a lot of PASC-specific medical studies looking at verified infections suggested something roughly like 5-10% weird long-term symptoms, with ~1-2% badly impacted. More general population-level data seems to be showing something similar over time. Where this goes longer-term isn't clear, but it would be nice to see the observed trend at least slow down.

edit: worth emphasizing this is roughly 1% of the working age public reporting just cognitive disability attributable to the pandemic and doesn't directly include significant cardiovascular or immunological post-infection issues. So the proportion of working age people "badly" impacted by the pandemic is firmly above 1%.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Surgery update, I'm being transferred to a private hospital because apparently the alternative was to send me home after I got bumped for the transplant recipient. Pretty shocking and disappointing.

I have a very complex immigration and private health insurance situation and literally no one can give me a 100% sure answer on private surgery costs, or even the same answer as anyone else. I suspect I won't find out until a bill shows up after.

Canada where I'm from (or at least BC) doesn't even really have private options as far as I know, so this insurance poo poo is all new to me and the exact opposite thing someone recovering from a heart attack should be dealing with.

So glad I have the "freedom to choose" as American politicians like to say.

Still no firm date for surgery. But apparently it's locked in at the new place once I get it.
Very sorry to read about your recent health issues and insurance shenanigans. Also moved from Canada to a non-UHC country (America) and it's definitely jarring having to suddenly navigate private health insurance. The health insurance model of "when you get sick just go to whatever hospital for treatment" is very good IMO but apparently not available in much of the world.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Nov 24, 2023

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Hungry Squirrel posted:

How do these compare to the CR cubes? They're more convenient, probably, and since I use 3M Filtrete 2800 filters the Levoit may be cheaper, but I'm more interested in effectiveness.

I haven't had to put a CR to the viral test, but I did let mine run overnight next to a vintage wooden desk that had spent 69 years (not nice) in a smoky/musty house. It currently smells amazing. My filters are trashed, but the desk has no odor. I know that smoke, dust, and viruses have different particle sizes, but if I wasn't a cube believer before I would be one now.

couple of things

those filters are rated at 81% filtration for most penetrating particle size compared to a HEPA filter at 99.9%. this means roughly 24% more necessary clear air displacement rate for your filters to match the same air changes per hour. MERV 14 also restricts a lot of air flow in order to attain 81% filtration. I think the original CR cube chose MERV 13 intentionally. offering less filtration but significantly higher air flow

also 1 ACH will only clean 63% of the air in your room because of how it tends to clean the same air over and over.

all in all the most effective filter will be the one that offers the most ACH rate that also moves the air as far away from it as possible. its hard to calculate these numbers for a homemade cube, so as long as its moving a lot of air, and its sealed well, its doing its job

CR cubes wont eliminate odor unless you are adding your own carbon filter. looks like the levoit has optional carbon filters as well.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Hungry Squirrel posted:

If you don't mind the size, sound profile, and inconvenience of reassembling a corsi cube, they're fine. Probably better overall if you have them on a higher setting.

I say 'sound profile' because it's just different. Corsi's have the sort of more broadband box fan noise (like a prop airplane, vaguely), while the small/medium size hepas are virtually silent at low settings to slightly more turbine-ish sound when they speed up. Also a filter for my core 400 at $50 is generally cheaper than buying a 4 pack of decent quality 20x20x1 furnace filters. But I find I tend to not replace my corsi filters very often because of the hassle.

I also have not had an active COVID-positive person in the house yet so hard to say if one is more 'effective'. The levoits on low speed keep the particle counter at the lowest setting all the time basically.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah the advantage of the cube is the sheer volume of air they can address, but just like everything else it's a compromise.

low speed levoits I forget they're there / on at all. does it push the hugest number of air changes? no, but as an ambient way to keep the air largely clean, they're great.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Rescue Toaster posted:

I say 'sound profile' because it's just different. Corsi's have the sort of more broadband box fan noise (like a prop airplane, vaguely), while the small/medium size hepas are virtually silent at low settings to slightly more turbine-ish sound when they speed up. Also a filter for my core 400 at $50 is generally cheaper than buying a 4 pack of decent quality 20x20x1 furnace filters. But I find I tend to not replace my corsi filters very often because of the hassle.

if you use noctua pc fans instead of a box fan the corsi cube is almost silent. I got four of them plus a four-input dc controller (with a variable voltage speed knob) and you absolutely cannot hear it.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
I was sharing thanksgiving meal pictures back and forth with my mom and she sort of just casually snuck in that she's sick, her husband's sick, my brother is sick (and didn't go), and one of my stepbrothers/his family is sick. She was sad the table had been set for 8 and there only ended up being a couple people.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Jeez lol. FiL finally tested negative on Thanksgiving. As a bonus my son came down with strep again on the day we were to leave (strep doesn't create b-memory cells lol). Crammed some antibiotics in him and drove to the rental house on t-day. Cool new normal.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

if you use noctua pc fans instead of a box fan the corsi cube is almost silent. I got four of them plus a four-input dc controller (with a variable voltage speed knob) and you absolutely cannot hear it.

This is true although noctua's are expensive as poo poo. I got some Arctic 140mm's that were suggested on one of the twitter threads testing corsis, and they have a really annoying fan whine sound (to me). So I just use that corsi as a backup/alternate. Replacing them with noctuas would be over a hundred bucks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Rescue Toaster posted:

This is true although noctua's are expensive as poo poo. I got some Arctic 140mm's that were suggested on one of the twitter threads testing corsis, and they have a really annoying fan whine sound (to me). So I just use that corsi as a backup/alternate. Replacing them with noctuas would be over a hundred bucks.

this is true. I just like the freedom of corsi cubes because I can use almost any four pack of filters and make it work so I'm not locked into any specific form factor or brand.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

Gildiss posted:

Most peoples internal monologue at this point is probably just a constant death metal blood curdling scream "N O R M A L"

I don't know why I torture myself with this poo poo, dead horse etc.
https://x.com/ElixirSpice/status/1727502280826724507?s=20

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

empireofcrime posted:

Its tough thinking back to how wildly optimistic I was at the beginning of the pandemic. "Peoples' opinions will change due to the changes in their material conditions! It's literally science!" Hmmm, but not like that, apparently.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Covid may have killed liberals and liberalism so that is a big plus

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

Covid may have killed liberals and liberalism so that is a big plus

I think it just scratched them

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

genericnick posted:

I think it just scratched them

tis but a scratch, and yet sars 2 is like the dueling foils at the end of hamlet

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bald Stalin posted:

That's reassuring. :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gildiss posted:

Yeah this poo poo happened here in Korea back in April and summer.
But that didn't make the news because they didn't make capital upset by keeping restrictions up as long as China did. They must continually be punished.

the beatings will continue until the economy improves

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

empireofcrime posted:

I was involved in trying to organize protests when eviction moratoriums were lifted and most people were not super responsive. The "victories" during the pandemic, in general, were not consciously fought for by workers, they were preemptive concessions by a ruling class unsure of how bad the crisis would be. Since the expanded social safety net was imposed by an outside circumstance and not struggled for by the working class itself, most people were not super conscious of it's destruction either.

The organized Left, however small it is, and the working class as a whole didn't know how to respond to the pandemic. There was no theory to turn to about how to respond and the Left currently is not large or confident enough to innovate in the way that was needed to actually take advantage of the situation. There's plenty about how socialist states dealt with infectious disease after taking power, but not about making it a political struggle prior. Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin and Mao faced much more deadly infectious disease than we do in the US even with COVID, and none of them saw it as a something like a primary contradiction. Obviously other authors can be turned to, but there was still a lot of work that needed to be done on why capitalist societies even got interested in public health. So when public health as a concept got destroyed it actually passed without notice for a lot of even politically active people. This lack of theory really killed an innovative response that could have taken advantage of the unique conditions created by COVID.

ACT UP struggled arounds AIDS, but that was also rooted in the struggle against homophobia. The current struggles around COVID are most often building off previous struggles around disability rights. We did actually see a mass uprising in the US during the peak of concerns around COVID, and again it was rooted in a revolt against anti-Black racism, a specific sort of national, oppression. I do think it's notable that when given some free time and money, millions of people decided to fight the racist state. The George Floyd uprisings are instructive too because despite decades of the Left studying urban rebellions, the state was still able to contain the rebellions with essentially no concessions.

The current militancy of the labor movement was in part inspired by the pandemic. The UAW and Teamster contract fights referenced the sacrifices they made "during COVID," and while there is some dissent with the outcomes, they won their strongest contracts in decades and are preparing for the next negotiation already.

Communists are still products of their societies and class, and we still need to learn a lot. As we move back into an era of common and widespread respiratory illness, people who know more about that stuff need to continue political study and education around the topic. Stuff like "Death Panel" is useful, and I still need to check out their book. People can be pissed about the response to COVID, but being angry or bitter is not going to lead to change by itself. A class conscious approach to public health is what the working class needs, and if you think and study a lot about it, write that poo poo down. Talk to people about it who are curious and interested. I know this can sound corny, but for the working class to take power it needs workers who are confident in their own ideas. A lot of people don't have the time, money, or energy for that, but if you do think about how you can use your time on behalf of those who don't.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

maybe I could have just made a joke about objective vs subjective conditions. idk.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I don't think you need to turn to the lack of broad theory when the basic statement of "wear a mask to protect yourself and others" is frequently met with "gently caress you covid is over" by people otherwise claiming to be communists.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The George Floyd protests got absolutely crushed because the next step was actually making it an urban rebellion and the broad swathe of people just weren't willing to fight in a way that they couldn't go back from from. Another thing where "normality" was really the underlying goal and as soon as stuff reopened to either force people back into workplaces or being able to get back to the rhythms of bars and restaurants, it broke down.

The police state wasn't going to see the passionate push of signs, take a knee and surrender so that was it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There was no organized communist party with sizeable membership to take advantage of the pandemic or uprisings,to amplify and push it. Lack of theory or "will" is symptomatic. Trots and MLs def tried, but they're fragmented and tiny rn. Join the communist party.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Oh well then, issue solved.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Bald Stalin posted:

There was no organized communist party with sizeable membership to take advantage of the pandemic or uprisings,to amplify and push it. Lack of theory or "will" is symptomatic. Trots and MLs def tried, but they're fragmented and tiny rn. Join the communist party.

you're right in general

I was thinking about the crowd that posts in the CSPAM COVID thread in tyool 2023.

if people's driving passion right now is COVID stuff that's probably disconnected from what active local struggles are happening. like, if people go to a teach in about Palestine there's a good chance depending on the org or venue that no one will be wearing masks. if people can't handle that, which I get, that doesn't mean the cause for the future is now lost.

Shiroc posted:

I don't think you need to turn to the lack of broad theory when the basic statement of "wear a mask to protect yourself and others" is frequently met with "gently caress you covid is over" by people otherwise claiming to be communists.

how do you convince that person to not say "gently caress you covid is over." that's a thing we need to figure out. it sucks that we do, but no one else is going to do it for us!

i know good union organizers who have won crazy union recognition fights and are just resigned to getting covid three times a year. i've been at funerals for kids murdered by police and, maybe I'm a coward, but I didn't wear a mask because I'd be the only person in there doing it.

I personally do struggle to connect COVID to other struggles sometimes, so in a big way my diagnosis is based on personal experiences

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Atrocious Joe posted:

I personally do struggle to connect COVID to other struggles sometimes, so in a big way my diagnosis is based on personal experiences

I mean here's your problem

Atrocious Joe posted:

maybe I'm a coward, but I didn't wear a mask because I'd be the only person in there doing it

You're caving to do something that you know is wrong because it is outside of the parameters of social normal, which ultimately is where the necessary steps for revolution are instead of doing the comfortable patterns of 'communism' in the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

I was involved in trying to organize protests when eviction moratoriums were lifted and most people were not super responsive. The "victories" during the pandemic, in general, were not consciously fought for by workers, they were preemptive concessions by a ruling class unsure of how bad the crisis would be. Since the expanded social safety net was imposed by an outside circumstance and not struggled for by the working class itself, most people were not super conscious of it's destruction either.

The organized Left, however small it is, and the working class as a whole didn't know how to respond to the pandemic. There was no theory to turn to about how to respond and the Left currently is not large or confident enough to innovate in the way that was needed to actually take advantage of the situation. There's plenty about how socialist states dealt with infectious disease after taking power, but not about making it a political struggle prior. Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin and Mao faced much more deadly infectious disease than we do in the US even with COVID, and none of them saw it as a something like a primary contradiction. Obviously other authors can be turned to, but there was still a lot of work that needed to be done on why capitalist societies even got interested in public health. So when public health as a concept got destroyed it actually passed without notice for a lot of even politically active people. This lack of theory really killed an innovative response that could have taken advantage of the unique conditions created by COVID.

ACT UP struggled arounds AIDS, but that was also rooted in the struggle against homophobia. The current struggles around COVID are most often building off previous struggles around disability rights. We did actually see a mass uprising in the US during the peak of concerns around COVID, and again it was rooted in a revolt against anti-Black racism, a specific sort of national, oppression. I do think it's notable that when given some free time and money, millions of people decided to fight the racist state. The George Floyd uprisings are instructive too because despite decades of the Left studying urban rebellions, the state was still able to contain the rebellions with essentially no concessions.

The current militancy of the labor movement was in part inspired by the pandemic. The UAW and Teamster contract fights referenced the sacrifices they made "during COVID," and while there is some dissent with the outcomes, they won their strongest contracts in decades and are preparing for the next negotiation already.

Communists are still products of their societies and class, and we still need to learn a lot. As we move back into an era of common and widespread respiratory illness, people who know more about that stuff need to continue political study and education around the topic. Stuff like "Death Panel" is useful, and I still need to check out their book. People can be pissed about the response to COVID, but being angry or bitter is not going to lead to change by itself. A class conscious approach to public health is what the working class needs, and if you think and study a lot about it, write that poo poo down. Talk to people about it who are curious and interested. I know this can sound corny, but for the working class to take power it needs workers who are confident in their own ideas. A lot of people don't have the time, money, or energy for that, but if you do think about how you can use your time on behalf of those who don't.

great post