Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Kazzah posted:

IMO Asscreed Origins is better than Odyssey. Od is just overstuffed; giant temples everywhere, town after town and fort after fort, halfbaked mechanics that you’re best off ignoring, an endless stream of trash loot. Origins benefits from all the negative space, all the details. There are only a couple cities, and each feels like a big deal and has a sense of identity. The farmers sing while they work; the world feels like a place where people live, and not a theme park. The world is just more cohesive, while in Odyssey you get a clear sense that each island was handed off to a different team, with varying levels of quality and effort. I 100%ed Origins; I can’t imagine doing that for Odyssey.
Origins was very good, but when you said Odyssey I thought you were talking about Origins anyway and I still agreed with what you were saying. I'd personally place them about equal, but Origin's story and theme engaged me more so maybe that was hiding some of the in-between problems it had.

edit; I mean if I think about any of the individual mechanics I feel like Odyssey's were better. But overall I didn't think either game was better or worse than the other, I liked both.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

sounds like a bad game

it's actually really good! i beat up a few bosses then got killed by a pirate dog with 10,000 souls in my pocket and fell into the water going back to get them ah well hashtag drangleic things

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Gripper posted:

Origins was very good, but when you said Odyssey I thought you were talking about Origins anyway and I still agreed with what you were saying. I'd personally place them about equal, but Origin's story and theme engaged me more so maybe that was hiding some of the in-between problems it had.

edit; I mean if I think about any of the individual mechanics I feel like Odyssey's were better. But overall I didn't think either game was better or worse than the other, I liked both.

odyssey felt more, idk, grindy? origins is excellent for just vibing around in ancient egypt.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Origins gets a vote for me because I liked the story/themes/characters much more (despite Kassandra being fun, her stakes and character seem comparably shallow), and it's not as gently caress YOU huge as Odyssey, though that does not make it small in any way.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I love Kassandra but she still don't hold a candle to my man Bayek. The way he lives completely through the filter of his religion, his warm voiced cultural tidbits he drops as he meets people and the way it contrasts with his turns as Wrathful God Bayek, he's like a Lawful Good D&D Paladin and Batman had a chisled baby and it's awesome.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think the only real choice to make is whether you prefer Egypt in the time of Cleopatra or Greece around the Peloponnesian War. Both games are good sized, the characters are fun, the gameplay is good times. Just pick whichever setting you like best.

Also the Discovery Tours included are fantastic if you like history.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ds2 is the best one. the official power rankings are in fact as follows:

dark souls 2 / elden ring (aka dark souls 2, part II)
demon's souls (aka dark souls 2, part 0)
dark souls 3
dark souls 1

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Both games are good sized

Odyssey is probably the most bloated game I have ever played.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jack Trades posted:

Odyssey is probably the most bloated game I have ever played.

I meant 'big', sorry. I rarely finish games anyway so as long as there's fun to be had that's not something that bothers me much.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Foul Fowl posted:

dark souls 3
dark souls 1

I dont have the reflexes for From games but my kid extremely definitely does, and just as a spectator only thats like "go wreck that tryhard and when he gets extra mad, stunlock him and then throw the fight" and "wtf that is some Lore there hold on" , I fully agree with this post

Orv
May 4, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

dark souls 3
dark souls 1

Finally some truth in Souls posting

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The best souls game is actually Nioh 2.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

This is the right answer, that or the newish Kirby game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the new Katamari Damacy runs at 60fps out of the box (the old one was locked to 30).

Runs great on the deck.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1730700/We_Love_Katamari_REROLL_Royal_Reverie/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 24, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

:haibrow:

Aside from the most shitass filter boss in the second mission I have ever seen, the game owns and stands a cut above.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i tried to get into nioh 2 (and 1) but idk, just didn’t stick. too many systems and too much random loot. didn’t feel incentivised to explore and i wasn’t that impressed with the levels or the bosses. the game felt kind of sloppy and not in the way i like it. i see why people enjoy it though, particularly if you don’t vibe with souls games

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Odyssey is the best game to play up to the part where you actually leave the first Island. You can vibe around countryside, point at Zeus' dong like you're in Harvey Birdman, kill some thugs. Made a case for ancient Greek Farmer being the best job in all history, assuming you weren't dragged into the wars, merked by aggro bounty hunters, dead of plague/cleansed by angry fire wielding priests etc.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Nioh 2 s was extremely fun and good but just a different vibe from souls. Not worse vibe just different

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jack Trades posted:

That's right.

I didn't really like Wo Long, too much focus on parrying, but I'm very interested in the next Team Ninja game. I can't remember the name (it's something very generic with the word "samurai" in it) but it's like an open world thing set during the bakumatsu, so there's a bigger emphasis on firearms.

Hopefully it has more wacky fantasy-history, that was such a fun aspect of Nioh.

E: Okay, a) it's called Rise of the Ronin, which is still generic but doesn't have the word samurai, and b) it's set during the boshin war, which is not the bakumatsu but is close to it (late 19th century)

Begemot fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 24, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

anybody play "sunny place" games? looks cool

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2191230/sunnyplace2/

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Unlike most Souls-likes which start from the Demon's Souls archetype and build on that, the Nioh games are what happens if you start with Ninja Gaiden and push it towards Demon's Souls. There's a lot of non-Souls DNA in it and it doesn't really play like a Souls game especially later in the game, so I don't really consider it a true Souls-like. Great games though, they deserve to stand on their own.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

soulslite

e: darklite

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 24, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sinatrapod posted:

I love Kassandra but she still don't hold a candle to my man Bayek. The way he lives completely through the filter of his religion, his warm voiced cultural tidbits he drops as he meets people and the way it contrasts with his turns as Wrathful God Bayek, he's like a Lawful Good D&D Paladin and Batman had a chisled baby and it's awesome.

Bayek nek'd so Kassandra could malaka

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are some good games to take advantage of the OLED steam deck?

Spiderman looks fuckin great. It has HDR as well.

It’s also a fun game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Begemot posted:

That's right.

I didn't really like Wo Long, too much focus on parrying, but I'm very interested in the next Team Ninja game. I can't remember the name (it's something very generic with the word "samurai" in it) but it's like an open world thing set during the bakumatsu, so there's a bigger emphasis on firearms.

Hopefully it has more wacky fantasy-history, that was such a fun aspect of Nioh.

E: Okay, a) it's called Rise of the Ronin, which is still generic but doesn't have the word samurai, and b) it's set during the boshin war, which is not the bakumatsu but is close to it (late 19th century)

Yeah, I had high hopes for Wo Long but it just didn't click for me either. Aside from the severe performance problems, it also just had a really bland art direction. Just about everything was some combination of brown, black, and dark red. Imagine setting your game in a place with a countryside as pretty and varied as storybook China and then just sending the player through a series of brown canyons.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The most soul-crushing, interesting sad robot sci-fi game I've ever played got a big update yesterday:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2290890/view/3897364481862254769

quote:

0.9.0 release!
Our biggest update since launching in early access!
Today's update is a giant step forward on a lot of fronts; the game has hit a ton of new milestones and we're eager to share them with everyone.

2 New Narrative Arcs
You may have noticed that this is a bump of 2 major versions, not just 1. That's because we got 2 narrative arcs done for you, which brings us to the full complement of 9 out of 9.

Arc 8 - Misjump - is an object lesson on why precision matters. In arc 7, we explored the ship's AI. In arc 8, we explore the ship's mission. Despite everything, the ship is still moving forward, and it still has its orders. How many more lifetimes can your duty possibly span?

Arc 9 - Obsolete - is the arc many of you have been long asking for. As robots, Robbie, Annie, and FRANK should have been built better. Built different. Built above all of these petty struggles and horrors that plague them every cycle of their all-too-short existences. Why were they built to suffer? Who is to blame for this atrocity?

With all 9 arcs complete, all that remains is the finale. You, and the Custodian, will take control of the situation and do precisely what you feel is right. Think long and hard about what that is, until the finale - and 1.0!

Self-improvement mini-arcs
Since the launch of 0.3.0, we have been asking: What can change the nature of a machine? This patch, we give you the power to answer - at least to some extent.

When gazing out of observation, you now have the option to begin a mini-arc, focused on one of the flaws of your Custodian. With diligence and commitment, you can help the Custodian recognize and overcome one of their faults. Change is difficult, however, and taking it too quickly can result in permanent damage. But perhaps going a little crazy is worth the payoff? Isn't a little insanity worth Robbie giving himself a break?

Nightmares
We quietly trialed this feature in the previous patch, and are now rolling it out more fully. At higher levels of psychosis, you will start having terrible visions. Momentary lapses of attention spiraling into, as your Nerve Staplers refer to it, 'cancerous introspection'. Or perhaps you fail to power down entirely, and your trapped consciousness seeks to rationalize its situation. Whatever the cause of these distressing terrors, the first few are properly here.

There will be more.

(But you can also turn them off in the new difficulty selections.)

Other milestones, and road to 1.0
With this update, Endless Dark has broken 200,000 written words across all of its events. While both core team members are published writers, neither of us expected to be writing quite so much for this project. Our inspiration is constantly stoked by those of you sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. Thank you.

In a similar vein, expect to see a news post coming soon detailing all of our thoughts and ambitions for the finale, 1.0, and what comes after 1.0. Thank you again for loving Endless Dark. Quirky indie games like this one exist entirely because of the support of open-minded and big-hearted fans, and we are honored every day by the community we continue to foster and grow.

This game is cool and really well-written and it's just awful (in the best way). Highly recommended.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
nice! I didnt really read any of that, but who doesnt love a good yarn about a sad robot? :thanks:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone tried Total Conflict: Resistance? It looks like modern warfare-esque Mount & Blade, which is super my thing, but it also looks like a barely-functional piece of crap cobbled together by inexperienced devs who bit off more than they can chew and don't have the experience to get a coherent experience and polished game loop out of the pieces.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is Idlemaster still the go-to to idle card drops?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Omi no Kami posted:

Has anyone tried Total Conflict: Resistance? It looks like modern warfare-esque Mount & Blade, which is super my thing, but it also looks like a barely-functional piece of crap cobbled together by inexperienced devs who bit off more than they can chew and don't have the experience to get a coherent experience and polished game loop out of the pieces.

Wasn't there another modern war M&B from a few years back?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mordja posted:

Wasn't there another modern war M&B from a few years back?

I remember a super indie jank one called Freeman Guerilla Warfare that they were going to completely remake I haven't heard too much about it since

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Fun lil skateboarding game is free to keep on fanatical (claim on steam!)

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/the-ramp

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

konami moment

https://twitter.com/ranmasaotome96/status/1727515333211332746

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

now this is a commitment to accuracy that you just don't get from other remasters

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's probably an asset loading error, something hosed up with loading the next scene it thew up a loading asset that Blue Point probably didn't bother to change when they made the 360/PS3 versions that this is based on.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

8bitdo controllers are on sale on the 8bitdo shop. The discounts aren't huge or anything but I don't think their controllers really get huge sales anyways?

56 bucks for the ultimate bluetooth one

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Veotax posted:

It's probably an asset loading error, something hosed up with loading the next scene it thew up a loading asset that Blue Point probably didn't bother to change when they made the 360/PS3 versions that this is based on.

maybe it's bad RAM that failed at the funniest possible moment

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Macichne Leainig posted:

I remember a super indie jank one called Freeman Guerilla Warfare that they were going to completely remake I haven't heard too much about it since

That's the one I was thinking about, I knew it had some weird name.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Disposable Scud posted:

I forgot about the remake. Why can't there be a modern Flashback that isn't garbage? Someone recommend a good Flashback-like.

FutureCop posted:

There was an indie Flashback clone called LUNARK that came out: haven't played it but I think it was reviewed alright. There was also an Another World indie clone called Full Void. Other than that, there are plenty of cinematic puzzle-platformers like INSIDE and American Arcadia that are similar in nature.
I'm gonna agree that if you're wanting a solid modern Flashback, Lunark is it. The resemblance is uncanny, the gameplay is unmatched, and at the current 40% off sale the price is unbeatable. Also plays just fine on Deck.

I do think that the forest area went on a bit long, and then on what I presume is the final area (the Lunark) I got stuck on an elevator puzzle and there weren't any guides written yet, so I decided to put it down until some were written... and I forgot to pick it back up. This actually happens to me a lot, I bought Amnesia early on, based on the strength of Penumbra, and got nearly to the end while enjoying it very much, and then just stopped, because I didn't want it to be over so soon. I forgot to pick it back up until a couple years later after it got popular... finished it quickly... and yeah, I found the ending is underwhelming (but expected given Penumbra). So will Lunark's finale be underwhelming? No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

8bitdo controllers are on sale on the 8bitdo shop. The discounts aren't huge or anything but I don't think their controllers really get huge sales anyways?

56 bucks for the ultimate bluetooth one

Going to ask this very niche question here but if there is a better thread to ask this in someone feel free to direct me. I play a lot of my games on Steam/my pc through Moonlight/Sunshine so I can stream it to my Steam Deck and get all the fancy graphical bells and whistles but not be stuck in my office where my PC is. I also do this through my 4k tv so I can get HDR and 120hz VRR and it's pretty fuckin incredible how good it looks and runs. On the Steam Deck it feels native and the input lag is so low that I don't even struggle when playing multiplayer games. On my tv though the input lag is noticeable on anything that's fast paced, mostly because the bluetooth on my tv is trash and there isn't a way to enable game mode since the app runs natively and it's not through a console or external device.

With these 2.5ghz controllers would it be possible to connect wirelessly to my pc through walls so I can play my games on my tv with low input lag? Bluetooth is too far unfortunately but didn't know if these 2.5 ghz controllers had a stronger and faster connection capable of that or not. Sorry again for the super niche question but I honestly didn't even know 2.5ghz controllers were a thing until this post popped up.