Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Cole's looking better because he isn't doing the terrible fake tan job he normally does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NienNunb posted:

“Hardcore AEW Fans Who Never Engaged With 2000s/2010s Indie Wrestling” was a type of person I didn’t think existed a year or so ago but have come to realize somehow makes up the majority of the fanbase. Bizarre!

The thing that AEW had from the outset was production value. I never gave a poo poo about ROH or TNA or whoever because they all looked and sounded* like poo poo. It's a TV show first.

*Yeah AEW's audio is bad sometimes but you know what I mean.

I think the fact that I view it as a TV show might be one of the reasons I've become so burned out on it the past few months. 2 hours a week plus a cheeky rampage if I felt like it and a pape every quarter was the perfect amount of engagement for me. 5 hours a week and a pape every month ... It's too much!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

im gonna watch my roh best of el generico and my pwg best of el generico today

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
pandemic era dynamite where they weren't building to a pape was great. you'd have simple storylines progress to a pay off match on tv, like the BFs/P&P parking lot match. but it was really obvious when a pape was coming up because the storylines would drag.

there were a few months this year where they were building to Forbidden door or Final battle and it was all Japan and roh all over the shows and every other storyline paused

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shard posted:

I swear he looks scrawnier every time I see him. Bulk up dude!

Let’s not body shame, OK??

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Like when I implied Swerve was becoming a fat gently caress

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

It's okay to bully Adam Cole, as he is a big nerd.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
Jade stunk for her entire AEW career. She got a little less awful near the end but still stunk :colbert:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

lol the guy is injured, you are heartless monsters!

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

its when you can do the most damage

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The normies are inside the thread...

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Suplex Liberace posted:

You can do curls in a wheelchair!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

hm what could he possibly have taken issue with that the workrate tournament would be better hrm

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Jay White absolutely should have beaten MJF

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
MJF cutting promos about how he was ~on a journey~ and then Jay White having to come out there and seriously engage with it and like, actually have an opinion on whether or not MJF was genuinely a changed man was so stupid. Whole thing was just junk and you could tell Jay was struggling not to roll his eyes when MJF was calling him "tofu" and pointing the mic at the crowd every 6 seconds.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MJF cried AEW died

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

For how stupid all of that is it was also a stolen belt feud so it was even more of a foregone conclusion and half assed feud

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023
Once again, MJF was a fantastic heel. Calling a man tofu is the type of thing that rear end in a top hat that doesn't realize he is a dork would find funny, and me as a audience member would find the fact that he thinks it's funny funny. The tough part of working face is you need to be either legitimately clever, appear legitimately bad rear end, or at least be somewhat enduring and I don't see MJF as any of these things.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Every time MJF called Jay White tofu or said that Jay seemed to think he was on his level all I did was roll my eyes. Like dude - it's Jay White. Come on now. I'm shocked MJF didn't say welcome to the big leagues kid

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

drat i forgot tofu. this stupid little idiot thinks were monkeys to be accordioned around. i hate his guts

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

My favorite defense is "No, you see, its terrible on purpose to show where his character is. It's not that just completely loving sucks"

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

at best it loops back to a "you fools fell for my crappy catchphrases and hope spots" fourth wall breaking heel turn thing and its like, no i didnt idiot, i said you should be getting shot with a missile

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I don’t think MJF was all that good of a heel either imo

IMHO

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Astro7x posted:

Whoa now, there are only 24 champions, plus all the wrestlers holding other titles, like the AAA Cruiserweight Champion, Strong Openweight Champion, and IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion

AEW World Champion
AEW Women's World Champion
AEW International Champion
TBS Champion
TNT Champion
AEW World Tag Team Champions
AEW World Trios Champion

Dynamite Diamond Ring Winner
Men's Owen Hart Cup Tournament Champion
Women's Owen Hart Cup Tournament Champion
AEW Continental Classic Tournament Champion
FTW Champion

ROH World Champion
ROH Women's World Champion
ROH Pure Champion
ROH World Television Champion
ROH World Tag Team Champion
ROH World Six-man Champion

There's more titles than there are hours to show those titles being defended each week. These titles are devalued as a result

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

My favorite defense is "No, you see, its terrible on purpose to show where his character is. It's not that just completely loving sucks"

for the record it wasn't a defense i thought it loving sucked too lol

I hated when Cena went all Howdy Shucks and made everyone around him feel fake, I hate it when MJF does it too :shrug:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw if you're on team "this tournament is being promoted like poo poo on purpose", I think this is the first time maybe ever that we didn't know a single match on the next episode of Dynamite besides maybe PPV weeks.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

waiting to see if danielson can get cleared yet lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

yea ok posted:

waiting to see if danielson can get cleared yet lol

That implies that whether he can get cleared or not is relevant to if he's going to wrestle or not.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MJeff posted:

btw if you're on team "this tournament is being promoted like poo poo on purpose", I think this is the first time maybe ever that we didn't know a single match on the next episode of Dynamite besides maybe PPV weeks.

What’s Tony cooking? Is he trying to kill his own fed now?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I made it up to make people mad

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

I made it up to make people mad

The guys you agree with on squared circle are serious tho

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My body is a temple, I don't put that poo poo in it.

Also to be fair it is terrible on purpose but they really hosed up landing that plane. FedEx Flight 80 level work. If you can't work out the payoff your thing that sucks on purpose just sucks

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

What’s Tony cooking? Is he trying to kill his own fed now?

Tony's a billionaire he's never cooked for himself. Keep him outta the kitchen he'll poison us all.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

its so over

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Imagine just how unhinged Posting Tony is going to be when AEW gets clowned on a regular basis by Peter Griffin

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

It seems today that all you see
Is violence on the papes and cuckolding on TNT
But where is that good old-fashioned wrestling...
On which we used to rely?!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Just take those old tapes off the shelf
I'll sit and watch 'em all by myself
Today's 'graps ain't got the same soul
I like that old time wrestling show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023
'Hey Lois, remember that time the Guns broke my knee and I still beat Jay White.'