Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Looking at the Rogal Dorn manual and uh, wow, it has a teeny tiny turret, relatively speaking. So does the Leman Russ, but that one is less noticeable because the chasis isn't as BIG. It's keeping with the WW2 aesthetic where the turrets weren't honking huge extending all the way out to the tracks, but still, small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Al-Saqr posted:

Finally Graduating to 1000 point battle tonight! super loving hyped! first time I'm gonna play a non-combat patrol game! gonna use the full Leviathan box!

Anything I should know about things to keep in mind?

Also, regarding secodary missions, it's not just two secondaries for the whole game? it's each turn? so like you shuffle and change secondaries every time it's your command phase?

There are two options and you pick one during setup:

Fixed - you pick two objective that you have all game, only certain ones can be chosen.

Tactical - draw from the deck and have 2 objectives active at a time. You can choose to discard ones you didn’t accomplish at the end of your turn or keep them if you think you can do them next turn.

It’s in the Leviathan pamphlet in with the objective cards but the information’s scattered through it, so read it carefully - I can never find specific bits whenever I want to double check something :v:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

ro5s posted:

There are two options and you pick one during setup:

Fixed - you pick two objective that you have all game, only certain ones can be chosen.

Tactical - draw from the deck and have 2 objectives active at a time. You can choose to discard ones you didn’t accomplish at the end of your turn or keep them if you think you can do them next turn.

It’s in the Leviathan pamphlet in with the objective cards but the information’s scattered through it, so read it carefully - I can never find specific bits whenever I want to double check something :v:

I've only played three games of 10nth so far but my 2 cents is that Tactical is extremely fun because it forces you to adapt you strategy and maybe even have a balanced army that can accomplish multiple goals. I feel like before you start playing 40k you theory craft about unit match ups, and then after a game you come away wanting to rebuild your list around accomplishing various objectives. It's a really cool wrinkle compared to the "let's line up the units and fight to the death" which is almost all my gaming circle did in high school.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

tactical is way more fun. A little overwhelming at first in my experience, but worth it!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, regarding secodary missions, it's not just two secondaries for the whole game? it's each turn? so like you shuffle and change secondaries every time it's your command phase?

Tactical missions are kind of like that. There are rules for when you discard, and you don't have to discard a mission you haven't scored.

You can also play with fixed secondaries, with only two secondaries all game, but only with the missions in the bottom left. Each player chooses before the game.

Tactical is a lot more fun, but it can be difficult if your army is slow. Personally, on CSM - a middling-speed army with lots of deep strike/fast chaff - I play tactical when my opponent goes wild on giving away Bring It Down or Assassination, or on missions like The Ritual where Cleanse/Deploy Teleport Homers is a very, very safe 32-35/40.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, are Kasrkin seriously just a Kill Team box now? Not to be confused with Tempestus Scions which are pretty much the same thing but uglier and cost a bit more in points because they get the deep strike ability?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What do you mean "just a kill team box"? They're a unit you can play in 40k still, in Guard. They just got released as a kill team, like the new scouts for space marines will be or the Kommandos for Orks.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Wait, are Kasrkin seriously just a Kill Team box now? Not to be confused with Tempestus Scions which are pretty much the same thing but uglier and cost a bit more in points because they get the deep strike ability?

correct. the KT box is also a unit box for 40K. either can run with an inquisition retinue team, but kasrkin are still better there.

tempestus scions have a relatively weak backwards compatibility list in the compendium, but in that team, they do hit on 3+ instead of 4+ if that matters to you. and i like their jin-roh aesthetic but ymmv.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If you're going for the Jin-Roh look you should just slap Krieg heads on scions or kasrkin imo, you won't get the 100% nazi look without the stahlhelm, but what can you do.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's all about the face. they don't have the same helmets but they do have totenköpfen to make up for that. and if you're wanting to evoke jin-roh, it's better to do it with the distinctive masks than generic wehrmacht elements. the latter just makes them look like actual nazis, not distinctive nazi expies.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Didn't remember how giant the shoulder pads are, perfect fit for 40K. The MG belt arm brace thing was also an interesting visual design element.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Gasmasks and respirators look badass, that is a fact

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Geisladisk posted:

You can build the Proteus so that it complies with WYSIWYG for a standard 40k Land Raider so I don't imagine it would be a problem for anyone.

Thanks, this is useful information. I thought my next major purchase would be a dreadnought, but now I'm really eyeing a Land Raider filled with Allarus Terminators...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

Possibly my best conversion work I've done so far, despite it being a simple head and arm swap.

The butt stripes are :discourse:

Lostconfused posted:

There's some UK studio that still makes political orc bits

They're Polish. :pervert:

Lostconfused posted:

If you're going for the Jin-Roh look you should just slap Krieg heads on scions or kasrkin imo, you won't get the 100% nazi look without the stahlhelm, but what can you do.

If you're up for 3rd party bits Anvil have some Jin-Roh-ish bits as well. They'll also sell you the MG-42s.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Geisladisk posted:

You can build the Proteus so that it complies with WYSIWYG for a standard 40k Land Raider so I don't imagine it would be a problem for anyone.

Ah, but you see it has a different footprint and a different height, so something something modeling for advantage something.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

They're Polish. :pervert:

:doh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

The butt stripes are :discourse:

:v:
That's supposed to be some pretty noticeable butt pads, but got sloppy with highlights. Probably a good thing because those pads are kind of silly.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

All the assassin designs have that 90s comic book aesthetic.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

:v:
That's supposed to be some pretty noticeable butt pads, but got sloppy with highlights. Probably a good thing because those pads are kind of silly.

I forgot that the model had butt pads. Bizarre design decision on GW's part.

Dedicated Transport (Bicycle)?
Something something dummy thicc?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Acceptable ahumans with perfect asses

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any idea when the xmas grot rider thingy is going on sale?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Well I popped into my lgs to see if they had any sales going on today and to pick up a couple colors or two and they ended up having 1 copy of the WE christmas box that game in this morning so, I guess I am now starting my second army :toot:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Virtual Russian posted:

We might need a conversions thread.

I'd be up for one... because I had the day off and well...

Found a nicer pauldron for this guy.

These two are just headswaps

This one is based on a character from a game I was working on last year vvv

And then these pair!

Just a merry band of psychopaths!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Virtual Russian posted:

We might need a conversions thread.

I'm down for this - I got a Cadian Castellan I want to turn into an Witch Huntery Inquisitor

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Nazzadan posted:

Well I popped into my lgs to see if they had any sales going on today and to pick up a couple colors or two and they ended up having 1 copy of the WE christmas box that game in this morning so, I guess I am now starting my second army :toot:

Excellent luck and excellent choice!

I saw the WE box in person and used every ounce of willpower to avoid impulse buying it.

I did grab Leviathan for 50% off on black friday sale which blows my mind. LGS must have really wanted to blow out their stock and free up some room, or just use it as a loss leader for the day?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So I posted a little while back about Necrons for my girlfriend’s brother for Christmas, and it dawned on us that his partner would probably be extremely interested in it as well since they’re pretty much identical in tastes for gaming, media, tabletop stuff, etc, and I didn’t really like the idea of buying someone’s Necron half and handing him a reused or opened box with some sprues for a Christmas present so we ended up just buying an unopened complete Indomitus box off eBay, so she can play with the Space Marines if she wants.

I’ve never handled WarHammer anything before and holy moly this box is a lot bigger and heavier than I thought it was going to be. I’m jealous that it’s still in the shrink wrap so I can’t take a peek and fiddle with it. And it’s making me really excited to start getting my own army together and start painting.

On that note, I’m having trouble deciding on what army I’d like to start with so I’m doing the age old “who do I think looks the coolest.” Kinda narrowed it to Chaos Marines or Daemons, Orcs, Drukhari, and Adeptus Mechanicus. With him going Necrons I think I’m leaning towards the AM for the flavor between the two, and also I kinda dig the robot in cloaks look.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I need that Night Lords kill team kit like, now.

Not because I play Night Lords but because the banner that's fully half of a dead guy can have his head neatly swapped with this really happy looking one I got from the regular CSM kill team, out of which I am currently building a squad of Emperor's Children, and he can be a still-living icon of Slaanesh!

The other Night Lords accessories made of human skin plus the mohawks I filched from a Necromunda Escher sprue will make these prodigal sons of Fulgrim so beautiful.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nazzadan posted:

I read this article by Mike P from Warphammer and now I'm super motivated to paint some dang World Eaters!! https://warphammer40k.com/my-experience-claiming-skulls-at-the-world-championships-of-warhammer/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

I did something similar, only to discover they had one of the Minka Lesk boxes still on the shelf. Sadly I didn't end up buying it.
...Yet.

Even if 10% off the regular price isn't that stellar.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Lol

https://twitter.com/warhammer/status/1728049621149053258?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Finished my first paragon warsuit tonight.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I started working on the suspension for my old Leman Russ. My original idea of a Sherman style bogey would be really tough to implement, so after looking around I decided on a PzIV style instead.

Here's the prototype:

I still need to add rivets and greenstuff an endcap, but I think it'll look pretty neat.

I thought about trying to add some kind of crossbar at the bottom of the spring, but it seems like too much work for no real benefit. The PzIV bogey is mostly hidden behind the road wheels and I'm not taking the tracks off the model for this. So this is just the suggestion of a suspension.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

GoonHammers Codex Necrons review is out:-

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-necrons-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/

"I’ve been playing Necrons solidly this edition – they’ve been so much fun that I simply haven’t wanted to get my Aeldari out. Having digested this book, I am incredibly excited to continue doing so – there’s a bunch of great stuff to play with here, and I can’t wait to try some of it out. Quite genuinely – I am going to play one (1) tournament with Aeldari next weekend, because I hate playing lame duck armies after I’ve digested the book, then it’s back on the skeleton train for the foreseeable future. Great stuff in this book, and I hope other Necron players are as excited as I am!"

necrons seem to have won big this edition!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 25, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I would like to believe that they haven't posted the AdMech one yet because the editorial crew is trying to convince the author to remove the constant swearing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Mechanicus review out:-

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-adeptus-mechanicus-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/

There are a lot of improvements in the Adeptus Mechanicus Codex, and a lot to like over the Index, but even with these changes it admittedly feels underpowered next to the other new books, especially with the current points values in the MFM. The faction is better off now, but how could they not be?

That said, there’s lots of good news here and legitimately things to be very happy about – the Cybernetica Detachment feels like it might fly under the radar and has enough to offer that we’d venture to say it’s good, actually. Explorator Maniple also likely has some play, where the tricks it can pull around getting in close and going after enemy units trying to stay on objectives in the middle of the table. The Skitarii Hunter Cohort might also have legs, though not at the current point values – Skitarii Vanguard would have to come down in price before they can hit the sweet spot of “being stupid durable for their cost,” but if that happens, they’ll be a potential nightmare thanks to said durability and the ability to reposition them – that redeploy after the first turn roll-off is potentially huge.

After 9th edition gave us busted book after busted book, it’s refreshing to see the first four Codexes of 10th deliver much more grounded, balanced experiences. Admech feel like they’re on the lower side of that at the moment, but they still feel very playable now and some point tweaks could go a long way to elevating the faction. At the very least, there are some much more exciting options to build around now and several different ways to play the faction, giving players options no matter which units they want to focus on.

wow! surprise it's a big improvement! I'll definitely keep an eye on a mechanicus combat partrol soon!

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I haven't read the AdMech article yet, but bringing down points costs is not a solution for the faction with the lowest pts/$ ratio.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I still don't understand why the Sydonian Dragoon can take a radium jezzail, I have never seen someone even suggest taking it as a joke, let alone actually building one.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

I still don't understand why the Sydonian Dragoon can take a radium jezzail, I have never seen someone even suggest taking it as a joke, let alone actually building one.

If I had three Dragoons with lances, I guess I might set a fourth one up with a jezzail. "Jezzail" is a really cool word, and the model looks nice.

Having read the article, I'm glad they've fixed at least some of the really terrible stuff. However, if they seem mediocre now I assume they're going to be terrible soon.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think they may have just forgotten about it after 7th edition. I seem to recall it was much more viable then, because it caused radiation/poison damage that caused wounds that could spill over to the next unit if you rolled a 6, and it had two attacks. It was also a free swap. It also had the special rule that you select which enemy models get removed/hit, so a squad of two of them could be useful for removing special weapon troopers. Obviously it does not work quite the same anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Seeing a lot of doom and gloom being posted over the changes to reanimation protocols and rez orbs specifically. I think that until we have the chance to play and have new point costs it’s way to early to start worrying.