Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Azran posted:

Now I'm very curious to know how bad it is but I already refunded days ago lol

The second character talks with a bunch of >.> and :p type poo poo and the third in literal "wtf no u" speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I haven't seen a UwU yet so imo, the game could commit more to it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The second character talks with a bunch of >.> and :p type poo poo and the third in literal "wtf no u" speak.

this is my favorite part of the game, tbh

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Snooze Cruise posted:

I haven't seen a UwU yet so imo, the game could commit more to it.

It's a simple solution for me at least.

Becoming a social hermit and never interact with that drat assassin

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Started playing Halls of Torment. Absolutely love the look, they really knocked it out of the park when it comes to looking like an early-mid nineties crpg. Also it’s pretty fun.

Exterminator seems a bit lackluster out of the gate but I’ve already seen some items drop that will scale them up very well very quickly.

This genre is really just perfect for me since I’ve been busy working full time and going to nursing school. Not much free time so these perfectly distilled gaming experiences are exactly what I need.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

It's a simple solution for me at least.

Becoming a social hermit and never interact with that drat assassin

It's annoying, but entirely elective. You can just not speak with other characters or you can mess with the dialogue options to make an exchange happen faster than you can read it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I got 10 hours into hall of torment before I realized you could equip multiple pieces of equipment at the well before you start a run. For some reason I thought you were limited to only one piece of equipment and had to scrounge up the rest in the level. I guess the fact that there are load out options should have tipped me off

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
When I first played HoT I thought the well mechanic was broken at first because I didn't realize you had to also buy the item off the wellkeeper after you retrieved it :(

Hey thanks for fetching me this thing, want to buy it? :argh:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

distortion park posted:

Are any of the VS-alikes available on mobile? One of the things I liked about it was that it's so easy to pickup and play in a spare 15minutes

Off the top of my head, VS itself, Magic Survival which actually predates it, and 20 Minutes Til Dawn.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain France posted:

Off the top of my head, VS itself, Magic Survival which actually predates it, and 20 Minutes Til Dawn.

Magic survival is the wolfenstein to VS’s doom, yeah?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Just King is listed as an autobattler, but its really closest to brotato-like with a bit more by way of autobattler trappings.

You've got your little king and 4 slots around him in a + formation, and you buy party members to put in those slots. The party members all have their own attacks, an inventory, and like a faction and role. So like you have a bard, who can hit guys with his lute and dispense musical notes that buff you when you pick them up and harm enemies who walk onto them, he's the 'shady business' faction and the 'hasty' role. Stacking character factions and roles grants bonuses of various tiers depending on number of guys (2 then 4), in the standard autobattler way. Items can provide stat buffs, 'active' abilities (as in the character uses them on a cooldown), and passive bonuses. Or some combo of the above. Characters get 1 inventory slot to start with, then 2 more at character level 2. They get a third character ability at level 3 also.

When you get into battle it's a little screen-sized arena with a couple of waves of spawning enemies, you move your king around and rotate your defenders using the mouse (they face the cursor), and your guys use their abilities. It's real-time so it is much more like brotato or something than a trad autobattler where you have little input beyond positioning the guys at the start.

What's fun is the place you put guys in the formation can have impact. Like for example there's a druid class, if you put him at the front he becomes a turtle tank, the side a wolf melee guy, and at the back a spellcaster. Some items encourage you to put guys in different positions than you might normally in exchange for rad bonuses.

There are multiple worlds in (i think) increasing difficulty with additional environmental effects (like an undersea one where your king has an oxygen bubble and you pick up bubbles of air that spawn on the map to top it up, which doesnt drain so fast as to be annoying but does make you move around more) and enemies. Each world has some exclusive party members, but you can unlock them for use in all areas. Metaprogression is in the brotato 'more items and guys' mold rather than '+0.05% run speed per level' bars.

It also has a cute style and is pretty funny. I got two party members from the 'deep' faction (in this case a shark summoner and a deep one cultist) and the bonus was that fish hooks spawn on the map and harm enemies who walk into them, and any enemy killed by them gets yanked up off the screen and your guys heal. The non-combat encounters involve your party being involved in hijinks and based on which guy you pick to solve the problem with you get some tokens to level up guys of that faction.

One weirder part of the game is instead of fusion there's just an evil mouth on the shop screen that you feed spare heroes to and get tokens for levelling up your guys of the same type with. It tripped me up for a while. You also get some free tokens based on which of your guys is MVP in each node.

Anyway I like it and it's deeper than I expected for a cheap game, and is very charming to boot.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Tenkaris posted:

When I first played HoT I thought the well mechanic was broken at first because I didn't realize you had to also buy the item off the wellkeeper after you retrieved it :(

Hey thanks for fetching me this thing, want to buy it? :argh:

My "I'm an idiot" moment in that game was not realizing you had to actually equip the class aspects after you earned them.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Jelly posted:

My "I'm an idiot" moment in that game was not realizing you had to actually equip the class aspects after you earned them.

I thought I had to farm them through the well and was just getting unlucky, I had unlocked almost all of them by the time I realized they were just behind that slot in a menu waiting for me :(

But that also goes to show how you don't necessarily need them I guess :D

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Realized I'm only about 6 hours in for Halls of Torment since I just got the 333 minutes achievement last night. I've beaten the first 2 halls and gotten the well guy and cupbearer, just unlocked that warlock and haven't tried him yet. Should I be prioritizing blessings or hear with my gold? Are there any blessings I should ignore besides the elemental ones if I don't plan on using that element?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The first two ranks of most blessings are dirt cheap. From there it's a comparison of benefit vs cost and compared to similar gear.

I.E. Do you want to pay 4k-8k for a flat +20% health and defense on your chest, or 3k-6k per +7% health blessing after the first two? There's a lot to buy so holding onto gold for a run or two never hurts, don't buy frivolous gear until you can see you want it for the gimmick you're leaning into.

All blessings are good, some are more better good. Getting two cheap ranks of +force or +pick up radius is fine, pressing the full bar for 10k+ gold isn't as good. You can bank gold in blessings and refund it for free at any time so there's no risk to adding blessings but gear is forever.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

Magic survival is the wolfenstein to VS’s doom, yeah?

Kinda. It definitely feels less refined, but the art style is really cool, and they've kept working on it. It has shorter games than VS unless you play endless, most of the weapon evolutions feel cool as hell, and to me the weird tone is a bit enhanced by the lack of music and seemingly poor translation.

It's definitely worth checking out, especially if you're looking for mobile specifically.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Nimrods talk: I have acquired an upgrade that severely reduces my gun's range but causes bullets to home in on enemies within that range, and I just came by an upgrade that causes bullets to split into ricocheting smaller bullets on hit, which also home in on enemies. As a result I am almost perpetually enveloped by a cloud of bullets that kill everything rather quickly but also, for some reason, cause noticeably lag. It's pretty great, even if I'm not sure how sustainable/playable this will be in the long run. :allears:

Edit: looks like it pretty much isn't as the game's performance dips into the "seconds per frame" range if there are enough enemies nearby. Still, what an experience. :shobon:

Edit 2: hoo boy, this game is Memory Leak City. Not sure what causes it, but even after some 100 minutes of gameplay, over 12 GB of memory being in use can't be right.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 26, 2023

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Captain France posted:

Kinda. It definitely feels less refined, but the art style is really cool, and they've kept working on it. It has shorter games than VS unless you play endless, most of the weapon evolutions feel cool as hell, and to me the weird tone is a bit enhanced by the lack of music and seemingly poor translation.

It's definitely worth checking out, especially if you're looking for mobile specifically.

Magical Survival has been my go-to game for playing to go to sleep. it's the perfect kind of mowing the lawn monotony (but in a good way) that VS does well and lots of the others are moving away from

also +1 to "the game has evolved tremendously over time". i'm up to 39mins as my longest on the final level

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Just King is listed as an autobattler, but its really closest to brotato-like with a bit more by way of autobattler trappings.

You've got your little king and 4 slots around him in a + formation, and you buy party members to put in those slots. The party members all have their own attacks, an inventory, and like a faction and role. So like you have a bard, who can hit guys with his lute and dispense musical notes that buff you when you pick them up and harm enemies who walk onto them, he's the 'shady business' faction and the 'hasty' role. Stacking character factions and roles grants bonuses of various tiers depending on number of guys (2 then 4), in the standard autobattler way. Items can provide stat buffs, 'active' abilities (as in the character uses them on a cooldown), and passive bonuses. Or some combo of the above. Characters get 1 inventory slot to start with, then 2 more at character level 2. They get a third character ability at level 3 also.

When you get into battle it's a little screen-sized arena with a couple of waves of spawning enemies, you move your king around and rotate your defenders using the mouse (they face the cursor), and your guys use their abilities. It's real-time so it is much more like brotato or something than a trad autobattler where you have little input beyond positioning the guys at the start.

What's fun is the place you put guys in the formation can have impact. Like for example there's a druid class, if you put him at the front he becomes a turtle tank, the side a wolf melee guy, and at the back a spellcaster. Some items encourage you to put guys in different positions than you might normally in exchange for rad bonuses.

There are multiple worlds in (i think) increasing difficulty with additional environmental effects (like an undersea one where your king has an oxygen bubble and you pick up bubbles of air that spawn on the map to top it up, which doesnt drain so fast as to be annoying but does make you move around more) and enemies. Each world has some exclusive party members, but you can unlock them for use in all areas. Metaprogression is in the brotato 'more items and guys' mold rather than '+0.05% run speed per level' bars.

It also has a cute style and is pretty funny. I got two party members from the 'deep' faction (in this case a shark summoner and a deep one cultist) and the bonus was that fish hooks spawn on the map and harm enemies who walk into them, and any enemy killed by them gets yanked up off the screen and your guys heal. The non-combat encounters involve your party being involved in hijinks and based on which guy you pick to solve the problem with you get some tokens to level up guys of that faction.

One weirder part of the game is instead of fusion there's just an evil mouth on the shop screen that you feed spare heroes to and get tokens for levelling up your guys of the same type with. It tripped me up for a while. You also get some free tokens based on which of your guys is MVP in each node.

Anyway I like it and it's deeper than I expected for a cheap game, and is very charming to boot.

Thanks for the recommendation, I picked it up and then suddenly it was 6 am.

I do wish it had more in the way of upgrades cause I want that progression poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Thanks for the write up on this. Does it have controller support? It doesn’t list it on the game page and I wanna play this on my steam deck.

It says deck playable but that can mean a lot of things.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
You can move, and rotate, the characters if you set the controls to Twin Stick. But I have not found the controller able to do anything else. That said I only played the demo.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
For Halls of Torment, is there any point in getting the potion ingredients repeatedly? Like if I already got all three in a previous run, do they rotate or give you anything besides a few more enemies to kill?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Centzon Totochtin posted:

For Halls of Torment, is there any point in getting the potion ingredients repeatedly? Like if I already got all three in a previous run, do they rotate or give you anything besides a few more enemies to kill?

Yeah, once you've gotten an ingredient once, they're just a source of a few extra kills.

FYI, some levels have different ingredients when Agony is turned on.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Another Halls of Torment question

Sometimes during a run, I'll come across equipment that unretrievable. Sometimes it's a upgrades version of equipment I already have (like +40 attack speed instead of +20 on gloves) or it's something entirely new. Are these forever unretrievable for balance reasons because they're seen as too strong or is there some requirement I'm missing?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Another Halls of Torment question

Sometimes during a run, I'll come across equipment that unretrievable. Sometimes it's a upgrades version of equipment I already have (like +40 attack speed instead of +20 on gloves) or it's something entirely new. Are these forever unretrievable for balance reasons because they're seen as too strong or is there some requirement I'm missing?

They're just like bonus equipment, there's no way to make them retrievable. Pretty sure they only show up if Agony is turned on, as one of the perks of that mode.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

They're rewards for the current run, you can either consider swapping to take advantage of a new approach or replacing your worn gear with a super version for a boost. If you don't want the offered item declining it gives you half a level.

Replacing aspd gloves with green ones for the run is another +20% attack speed, for example.

I always keep my old stuff in inventory because I'm scared to find out how considerate the devs are in their design foresight if I discard one to make room, assuming it'll still be unlocked when I get back. :shobon:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah they're always unlocked once you unlock them the first time

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think HoloCure might be the most ball stompingly hard game in the genre. Then again I imagine a lot of the fans desire that. :v:

But drat man, pushing Stage 5(Hard 2) and the timings are razor thin.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Finally beat the second and I guess, final? boss of Disfigure. Took a lot of tries. Definitely worth the price of free.

Doomykins posted:

I think HoloCure might be the most ball stompingly hard game in the genre. Then again I imagine a lot of the fans desire that. :v:

But drat man, pushing Stage 5(Hard 2) and the timings are razor thin.
Glad I'm not the only one having a hard time. Getting Colabs and Super Collabs to free up space to get even more weapons feels critical to doing well.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Got it today with the power of Rat but definitely at the point where I spent the coins to get her to gacha rank +20% and still lost a run at the last boss because Rat Ult + aoe weapons isn't as good as Rat Ult + maximized crit output + single target collab.

Hakos is a good rat.

Made these faces while fighting the Hard 2 boss and again when the "Hard 3 is now available!" pop up appeared.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I assumed getting collabs was actually a net negative in the current version of HoloCure since they're very underpowered, particularly SuperCollabs.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I find a lot of them useful and most of them to be better than the sum of their parts, you just can't make them on a whim.

Bone Bros/Dragon Fire: Blasts a safe line through crowds, annihilates glowstick fans and focuses down bosses. Blows the damage potential of their parts out of the water. My Dragon Fire was an endless stream of 300-400 crits x10 per second as Ratto, becoming my primary weapon.

Broken Dreams/Breath-In/Elite Cooking/Flattening/Frozen Sea/Legendary Sausage/Light Beam/Lightning Wiener/MiComet/MiKorone/Snow Flower/Stream of Tears: Consistent practical AoE.

Ring of Fitness: Absurdly good scaling AoE due to being stronger the more surrounded you get, when blocker waves spawn, and putting out consistent good AoE even when things are going swimmingly.

Curse Ball: Fun but worse than anything practical.

I'm Die: Great AoE but unreliable and slow, useless when focusing/facing boss, better if you get the Mark sticker and can mark the boss and go blow up goons.

Holy Fire/Snow Queen: Really easy to combo to from good practical collabs.

Jingisukan: A win more but an absurdly good one.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 30, 2023

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Azran posted:

I assumed getting collabs was actually a net negative in the current version of HoloCure since they're very underpowered, particularly SuperCollabs.

It really depends on how many levels/anvil upgrades you can get by the last boss I think. If you can get four collabs completed by ~17 minutes then it's probably worth going for, but doing that pretty much requires having the character you're playing at max fandom rank so that you start with all of their skills fully leveled and also having most of the shop upgrades filled out. Even then getting enough levels fast enough is unlikely, so the real strategy is to go for Credit Card + Blacksmith's Gear as early as possible. The super collab that makes green healing/damaging zones is basically OP on everyone in my experience.

If you aren't far progressed on shop upgrades and the fandom grind, then yeah it's probably wise to skip collabing your weapons together unless there's a particular one that meshes well with your character skills or that you want for utility like the freeze sake or whatever it's called.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Just one shot Hard 3 on my first try with getting Dragon Fire as my first collab. Ratto strong.

Uwohhhh that was the last stage, I beat Holocure, that was great. :3:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
No damage run in death must die was surprisingly easy. Now just need to somehow get 4 dashes on that one character and 5 statuses with another...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Deal 10,000+ damage in a single hit, eh?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Looks like Picayune Dreams is coming out in four days on December 4th. I enjoyed it as a weird rendercore VS-like with surreal Yume Nikki-style interludes. This is from their 1.0 announcement post:

quote:

[We] are launching straight into v1.0 rather than doing Early Access. While that's worked wonders for other Vampire Survivor-likes, our game has a distinct difference that motivated that release plan: Picayune Dreams has a proper story that will play out across your runs.

Launching at v1.0 is our way of communicating that there is a complete experience waiting to be played, We hope you'll continue to mess around with game-breaking runs after completing the story. And we reserve the right to continue expanding the game post-release! But it didn't feel right to call the game "Early Access" with that story in place.

edit: Having played the demo I really liked the sense of surreality and existential horror that the story seemed to hint at. The character is the only one able to 'defend earth', but is also locked into some kind of infinitely repeating, hellish eternal battle. You know, as it goes.

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 1, 2023

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Soulknight Survivor is fully out and about : https://store.steampowered.com/app/2414900/Soulknight_Survivor/

quote:

Fight against hordes of enemies and collect their souls to gain special soulpower attacks.
Try to survive against various monsters for 30 minutes on each of the 5 challenging maps.
You can aim your weapon in all directions with your mouse or the right stick on your gamepad.
But keep your stamina in mind, each swing and dodge drains a part of it.

Level up your character with the collected souls.
Souls are not just used to fill your soulpower bar and unlock powerful attacks inside an area.
You can also use them to level up your stamina, strength, health and stamina regeneration on the long term.

Loot chests to get new weapons and armor. Enemies drop random loot chests with tasty resources and procedurally generated weapons and armor.

Mine stones and fell trees to gather resources. Craft powerful weapons and armor at the forge with the collected resources.
Increase your blacksmith skill to become a master blacksmith!

Upgrade your hometown to increase your resource storage, improve the forge and more.

Directional combat system
Soulpowers
Skill system
Resource gathering
Crafting system
Loot chests
5 challenging levels with 4 difficulties each
Earnable medals
Achievements
Upgradable hometown

Artifact Seeker: Legend of Aurorium is only at Demo stage, However, Good Lord is it apparently swinging hard and in Soulstone's general direction in the aesthetic wars:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2510720/Artifact_SeekerLegend_of_Aurorium/

quote:

On the continent of aurorium, which was invaded by the Demon King of the Void, the heroes obtained artifacts through various ways, defeated a large number of enemies, and continuously improved their power to finally defeat the Demon King and save the world.

Artifact Seeker:Legend of Aurorium is a 3D Roguelike Survivor RPG game. In the continent of Aurorium, which has been invaded by the Void Demon Lord, heroes obtain artifacts in various ways, defeat tons of enemies, and continuously improve their strength to finally defeat the Void Demon Lord and save the world. You can obtain artifacts by slaying corrupted enemies, collecting gold to exchange it for artifacts at mysterious merchants, or activating altar to obtain artifacts.

Dozens of evolvable skills, extreme sprint dash, and the ultimate special skill to slay enemies!

Intense paced battles, you can buy artifacts to boost your power after each battle!

Hundreds of different artifacts with matching skills to create a wide variety of bond Synergy, and utilize the power of the synergy to challenge higher level enemies! [/b]

RPG like Events, diverse choices, adventuring dungeons, exploring magical worlds, befriend different heroes and unlock new characters!

Hundreds of affixes and attributes, dozens of different meta-progressions, weapon unlocking and strengthening, and sharing your own unique artifacts with your pals! There's new contents to experience after every run!

Explore the world and discover the hidden secrets behind the story!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Striving For Light Survival hit 1.0 and despite the wacky graphics is a pretty fun game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Vampire Survivors updating 12/6. Story mode???