Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Yeah, but if I'm running a game, I do like having the physical book, even if I'm sure I could find the PDF quite easy for 7e. I just know the 4e reprints are super cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Correction: I meant Seven Samurai. Six Samurai isn't anything.

I've played a lot of long-running PBTA games via Discord chat,
If you were playing Monsterhearts you could have a Six Strings Samurai.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

If you were playing Monsterhearts you could have a Six Strings Samurai.

"Only one werewolf can turn on this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me."

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 23, 2023

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yeah, but if I'm running a game, I do like having the physical book, even if I'm sure I could find the PDF quite easy for 7e. I just know the 4e reprints are super cheap.

They're like 100% different games though. If you're not finding Gamma World 7e you're better off adapting a lightweight system like Sentinels or PBTA than taking some stultifying old TSR chart 'n graph pileup that happens to share a name.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 23, 2023

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Quote isn't edit!

theironjef fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 23, 2023

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
If DriveThruRPG doesn't have a Print On Demand option, what's the best alternative to print a PDF? The only real option (see not insanely expensive) that I know is Lulu but wondering if there is another option. Ideally some place that offers a coil/spiral binding, but I can live with doing my own three ring binder if it's cheap enough.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

radlum posted:

How are Vaesen and Monster of the Week? I like the concept for both games and I would love to try them bu haven’t seen much conversation around it

I'm in a campaign for both! They are excellent. The systems themselves work quite well for what they are trying to accomplish, with the standard caveats of being very narrative focused games and thus needing full investment from the GM and all players.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

nessin posted:

If DriveThruRPG doesn't have a Print On Demand option, what's the best alternative to print a PDF? The only real option (see not insanely expensive) that I know is Lulu but wondering if there is another option. Ideally some place that offers a coil/spiral binding, but I can live with doing my own three ring binder if it's cheap enough.

Lulu is fantastic. I’ll print custom PDFs to be used as dossiers of sorts for players in heist adventures in a perfect bound booklet. If there’s an easier way, I’m interested but every time I’ve looked, it’s been like 8x Lulu prices.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
If you just want spiral bound, have you tried a local print shop?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

nessin posted:

If you're in the US, FedEx locations will do this for very cheap but they have a limit of IIRC 140 pages per bound item. So if you don't mind breaking it up you could go that route.

https://www.office.fedex.com/default/presentations.html

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
In my experience, FedEx will also sometimes refuse to print RPG material. I had to wrangle my local FedEx into grudgingly agreeing to print material for a game we were play testing, and they once outright refused to print a grid of cards for a game I wrote because they weren’t 100% convinced I had the rights. This was two different locations, too, so it’s some kind of corporate policy. All that said, if you can get them to do it they will often be very cheap.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kestral posted:

In my experience, FedEx will also sometimes refuse to print RPG material. I had to wrangle my local FedEx into grudgingly agreeing to print material for a game we were play testing, and they once outright refused to print a grid of cards for a game I wrote because they weren’t 100% convinced I had the rights. This was two different locations, too, so it’s some kind of corporate policy. All that said, if you can get them to do it they will often be very cheap.

I have literally seen rpg playtest documents where the first page after the cover is a line that says “Fedex, literally anyone has permission to print this out at any time.”

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

If you just want spiral bound, have you tried a local print shop?

There is only one in my area but I haven't been able to get any info from them as to whether they'd do a small personal order or what it would cost. Other than that one it's just Staples/FedEx/OfficeMax style places.

Neo Rasa posted:

If you're in the US, FedEx locations will do this for very cheap but they have a limit of IIRC 140 pages per bound item. So if you don't mind breaking it up you could go that route.

https://www.office.fedex.com/default/presentations.html

FedEx is insanely expensive for anything more than a hundred pages or so. Even a basic black and white unbound print is four times as much as the equivalent from Lulu with binding. One of the books I want to print out is the Wicked Ones rulebook (which does have POD from DriveThruRPG, but I've already owned the PDFs for years) and I can literally buy three copies of the rulebook (in color no less) through DTRPG for the price of the basic black and white printout through FedEx.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

What highly specific need or obstacle is preventing you from then simply buying the POD book of Wicked Ones from DTRPG? It's $35.00, an absolute steal for a book that's almost 400 pages.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The recent video by People Make Games made me curious about LARP in the US and elsewhere. Is there a book that gives a general overview, or maybe one system that's the most popular? Doing a quick Google Mind's Eye Theatre is or was really popular?

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

busalover posted:

The recent video by People Make Games made me curious about LARP in the US and elsewhere. Is there a book that gives a general overview, or maybe one system that's the most popular? Doing a quick Google Mind's Eye Theatre is or was really popular?

You can see in the video I assume you're referencing that at one point they "die" to a fight that was nothing but rock paper scissors. This is the most popular "system" for big open festival style freeform larps because anything more complicated gets in the way of the fiction and requires referees, which is unsustainable in the first place at an event of that scale and leads to weird bickering and power cliques. A major part of making big freeform events like that successful is *not* having a rules system, people just play pretend with lots of "Yes, and."

There is a somewhat more regimented larp event scene in Europe but I don't know much about it other than that some are very good about safety and consent and some are very notably not.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

busalover posted:

This book is one I give folks who are interested. The article here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzart1lzv4vjjuo/We%20Hold%20These%20Rules%20to%20Be%20Self-Evident.pdf?dl=0 is probably the most telling of the ways LARP differs.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

That Old Tree posted:

What highly specific need or obstacle is preventing you from then simply buying the POD book of Wicked Ones from DTRPG? It's $35.00, an absolute steal for a book that's almost 400 pages.

I used that as an example because I could compare the cost of POD to FedEx. However if I already own the PDF and want to buy a physical copy I'd rather get a full size spiral/comb bound printed version if I can get it, even if it's a bit more expensive, than the smaller softcover format.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hm, it looks like I have a few hours, and only a few hours, to myself in NYC this weekend, which gives me enough time to visit one store. Does Compleat Strategist carry a lot of vintage stuff?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

That Old Tree posted:

Mind you that's just for the book itself, after that you're going to get reamed by DTRPG and their absolutely absurd shipping prices, at least if you don't want to wait at least a full calendar month for your book to ship

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

You can see in the video I assume you're referencing that at one point they "die" to a fight that was nothing but rock paper scissors. This is the most popular "system" for big open festival style freeform larps because anything more complicated gets in the way of the fiction and requires referees, which is unsustainable in the first place at an event of that scale and leads to weird bickering and power cliques. A major part of making big freeform events like that successful is *not* having a rules system, people just play pretend with lots of "Yes, and."

There is a somewhat more regimented larp event scene in Europe but I don't know much about it other than that some are very good about safety and consent and some are very notably not.

Which is why I've always found doing LARP to be kind of dumb, if you have to dumb down a game that much then it stops being a game entirely and just becomes a waste of time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drrockso20 posted:

Which is why I've always found doing LARP to be kind of dumb, if you have to dumb down a game that much then it stops being a game entirely and just becomes a waste of time

it’s just playing pretend, like an improv class or something. nothing wrong with that, not all roleplaying needs to be supported by damage tables

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kestral posted:

I don't really get why print shops are on such a hair trigger for this. It's not even worth asking about because it's going to be no if it looks anything like a book, no matter how many times it says you have permission to make copies, no matter how big the letters are.

Like I went into a local non-chain print shop to get an official document photocopied and I had it kept in between the pages of a large hardcover book in my backpack because it was the safest way for me to carry it that I could think of. As soon as the clerk noticed that a book (!) had gotten within a hundred feet (!) of her photocopier (!) she started freaking the gently caress out and I had to repeatedly reassure her I wasn't interested in photocopying a page out of the book. I didn't just walk out because gently caress it I didn't want to find and try another shop and probably get the same response.

Like why do they even think it's their job to enforce that. Yes I am going to write "PHOTOCOPIED AT XYZ PRINT SHOP" in the margins of the bootleg books I'm totally selling. The book police are going to come for them next.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Because publishers can and have sued them out of existence for it, I imagine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cessna posted:

This needs to be written in gold embossed letters on every GM screen.

Yes! Sooooo many problems in play can be avoided or solved by just talking to your players. Just simple stuff like -

I've been saying at work for years now, "actually talking to people is the superpower we forget we have."

That applies anywhere.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Hm, it looks like I have a few hours, and only a few hours, to myself in NYC this weekend, which gives me enough time to visit one store. Does Compleat Strategist carry a lot of vintage stuff?

Hopefully not too late on this, but: maybe! They used to, but it’s been a very long time since I visited the NY location. It's definitely worth dropping by, at least.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Parkreiner posted:

Hopefully not too late on this, but: maybe! They used to, but it’s been a very long time since I visited the NY location. It's definitely worth dropping by, at least.

It turns out they do.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Trip report, dry run of Avatar was pretty fun and the advice here helped a ton. I was expecting us to spend the whole time doing character creation but that went pretty quickly so I came up with a practice scenario I made up on the spot which, of course, didn’t go the way I was expecting and had to improvise a bunch of stuff, which I felt I did well.

This game really emphasizes interpersonal relationships and communication with each other, which we’re not used to; we’re used to the Expanse game and traditional D&D elements as opposed to PC driven story. I did take the feedback here to heart of asking everybody what I could’ve done differently, what they’d like to see, etc. and the feedback was that it’s too early to tell but they’re enjoying it so far. Also sounds like they may incorporate piss bending into the story somehow.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Louisgod posted:

didn’t go the way I was expecting and had to improvise a bunch of stuff, which I felt I did well.

This will happen every session. Strap the gently caress in, it's gonna be a ride. I will again recommend building in "GM's brain is melting" breaks into the session schedule.

Louisgod posted:

Also sounds like they may incorporate piss bending into the story somehow.

I am not judging your group at all when I say that something like this will also happen every session.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sweat bending is already a canon thing, to say nothing of bloodbending.

Random idea; Cyberpsychosis isn't just having a wooden leg makes you crazy, it's having too many bionics makes you a larger attack vector for the constant Internet Of poo poo assault of malware, adware, bugs and monetization from dodgy as gently caress bionics companies that are eager to literally take over your brain.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 26, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Random idea; Cyberpsychosis isn't just having a wooden leg makes you crazy, it's having too many bionics makes you a larger attack vector for the constant Internet Of poo poo assault of malware, adware, bugs and monetization from dodgy as gently caress bionics companies that are eager to literally take over your brain.

that's incredible thinking, that's so much better and more immediately relatable than the baseline. it makes me mad this isn't adopted widespread.
Planned obsolescence, cyber-nintendo pushing a patch to try and force your jailbroken spine to connect to the wifi so it can brick itself

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Ghost Leviathan posted:

*silently points, once again, at Hard Wired Island*

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I dunno, I liked how 2077 treated it better. As in Cyberpsychosis is just a catch-all term used to cases of people snapping when it is in fact just them breaking down and lashing out from the sheer shittiness of life in Night City, being explored by the Corpos and Gangs and not being able to take it any longer.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I dunno, I liked how 2077 treated it better. As in Cyberpsychosis is just a catch-all term used to cases of people snapping when it is in fact just them breaking down and lashing out from the sheer shittiness of life in Night City, being explored by the Corpos and Gangs and not being able to take it any longer.

2077 treats it as a completely manufactured label being slapped on anyone who happens to have extensive cyberware when they go postal because capitalism sucks, yeah.

Pondsmith himself has long since moved away from "prosthetic legs make you crazy!" and RED explains it like this:

Personally, I like the idea that cyberpsychosis is just what happens when you turn yourself into a bipedal tank capable of atomising everyone around you without breaking a sweat, and then work in a job where you routinely murder people to take their stuff.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
One of the games I'm in was losing steam so I offered to run Pendragon for the group. So that means making Arthurian knights with all the trappings. One of the players produced this coat of arms:

it was a joke suggestion but lol still

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Guy got bonzi buddy'd, took two squads to bring him down

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I see you’re familiar with the Goat King of Sussex

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lemon-Lime posted:

2077 treats it as a completely manufactured label being slapped on anyone who happens to have extensive cyberware when they go postal because capitalism sucks, yeah.

Pondsmith himself has long since moved away from "prosthetic legs make you crazy!" and RED explains it like this:

Personally, I like the idea that cyberpsychosis is just what happens when you turn yourself into a bipedal tank capable of atomising everyone around you without breaking a sweat, and then work in a job where you routinely murder people to take their stuff.
While it may be accidental at this point, having 'cyberpsychosis' be like four streams of stuff which periodically combine with great force to crush vulnerable individuals is perhaps one of the most realistic things about Cyberpunk.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

One of the games I'm in was losing steam so I offered to run Pendragon for the group. So that means making Arthurian knights with all the trappings. One of the players produced this coat of arms:

it was a joke suggestion but lol still

Really good detail with the ring.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Triangle Agency looks like my jam: https://triangle-agency.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/

Anybody know anything about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

whydirt posted:

I see you’re familiar with the Goat King of Sussex

Hmmm.... *pulls up NPC sheet and begins taking notes*

Plutonis posted:

Really good detail with the ring.

I was all prepared to call her out on that and no... she had prepared for this.