Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kild posted:

it ended in may 2023 which is crazy considering its a 21 year old mmo

I dunno, Everquest is still going and has its 30th expansion coming out this year...

But in all seriousness FFXI hasn't even ended yet, it is just in limping maintenance mode now which if other dead MMOs are anything to show by it can do for a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

pixel bitches posted:

Play a different game if it bothers you that much lol

I have been, actually

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh it turns out a number of people answered to that effect

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Runa posted:

oh it turns out a number of people answered to that effect

Haha owned.. ???? :confuoot:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just remarking how calmly people responded to the aggro vibe of your post while I catch up with the thread

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kild posted:

it ended in may 2023 which is crazy considering its a 21 year old mmo

tbh I don't think many people even bothered with VR after getting the TH egg so the rest of it just slips out of mind for me

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MechaX posted:

So Astlibra... definitely goes a lot of loving places to the point where I'm pretty curious to see where it all ends up going.

Someone in this topic said that the game had random horny moments and I while there was some horny jokes littered throughout, I was absolutely not prepared for Chapter 4. Think "Cloud has to put on a dress and a wig to get into Don Corneo's mansion" except dialed up to 1000 with "in order to get this wig and dress, the merchant needs a pair of white panties and your witch companion has the wrong color, so you have to convince a nun to just give us the one's she's wearing and of course the game describes the sights and smells of it in disturbing detail. Oh yeah the dress is just Princess Leia's bikini-armor."

And then after all of that the Chapter some how manages to jump off the rails even more later on. You were brainwashed and accidentally massacred the village, whoops

The gameplay is.. like a 2000-ish PC game came out of a time warp though; your character barely animates and the dev's understanding of hurt and hit boxes is pretty fuzzy at best with how loving large these enemy attacks can be that absolutely do not match up with their sprites.

I recently went through the base campaign and most of the postgame and I'm still in awe at the places the story went with its premise, time travel and all.

I was not prepared for how hard that game goes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Runa posted:

Just remarking how calmly people responded to the aggro vibe of your post while I catch up with the thread

I apologise if I gave off aggro vibes but I was getting frustrated cuz ppl kept misrepresenting my argument

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

pixel bitches posted:

I apologise if I gave off aggro vibes but I was getting frustrated cuz ppl kept misrepresenting my argument

ah yeah

well, fair enough

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

pixel bitches posted:

It is time for you to hush for a while.

Thread, let's change the subject away from this one. Thank yooou

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ok time to discuss troubleshooter abandoned children some more, everyone please share the fan creations of troubleshooter abandoned children you have made

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

ok time to discuss troubleshooter abandoned children some more, everyone please share the fan creations of troubleshooter abandoned children you have made

Is the DLC worthwhile if I haven't gotten properly into the base game yet?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HopperUK posted:

It is time for you to hush for a while.

Thread, let's change the subject away from this one. Thank yooou

whats your favorite rpg

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

HopperUK posted:

Is the DLC worthwhile if I haven't gotten properly into the base game yet?

Nah, Crimson Crow is exclusively post game stuff, and like, also post the free DLC.

It is on sale and only like 5 bucks tho.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I still love how Astlibra's demo and first chapter play with your perceptions to keep you disoriented while you're unsure of what even is going on, with the demo even being presented as a prophetic dream which winds up coming to fruition in a way I definitely didn't expect. It all lends an air of mystery, danger, and quiet tragedy to the early game. But that sense of disorientation, unreality, and manipulated perceptions comes into play less and less as time goes on. As you become more aware of your situation, the world around you, and the capabilities of the powers in play, you become harder to get taken off-guard by the truths you're confronted with.

And this awareness all comes to a head in a scene at the start of the post-game. You wake up from the dream as a child again, just like you did in the demo of the game, just like you did in the prologue of the game, and your crow companion greets you, again, saying what a long and vivid dream that must've been. And then immediately calls bullshit on the very idea of it at about the same time you, the player, probably are. Because he knows drat well what's going on and so do you. Now that the two of you've been yeeted way, way back it's time to get to work. This time for good.

It's a very funny bit that cleanly segues into a tone of stirring determination, one of my favorite scenes in a game chock full of strong moments.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Kild posted:

whats your favorite rpg

Of all time? I'd have to go with Pokemon Ruby. Basic I know. I'm only really dipping into the larger JRPG world in the last few months. I like Time Break Chronicles!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Pokémon Ruby is cool, it introduced Aron which is a top tier cutie and evolves into a cyborg dinosaur so you get the best of both cute/cool worlds.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Pokémon Ruby is cool, it introduced Aron which is a top tier cutie and evolves into a cyborg dinosaur so you get the best of both cute/cool worlds.

I love Aron a *lot*, what a nice little guy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

HopperUK posted:

:hfive:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Last Celebration posted:

Aggron is one of my favourite Gen 3 mons together with Armaldo and I'm glad they gave him a cool Mega Evo.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I spent the last week working my way through Tales of Arise and finally Platinumed it today. It's an odd game for sure. Fun as hell to actually play, but you spend so much time not playing it and listening to some of the worst dialog in an RPG delivered by some of the least enthusiastic voice acting. The biggest sin is that cutscenes and skits will often repeat each other and right on top of eachother. It's not uncommon to take two steps, have a cutscene followed by three skits then two more steps for another cutscene. It just feels haphazard and tedious. The opening of the game has about a dozen conversations in five minutes about how Alphen can't feel things! And Shion has thorns! The skits are oddly stacked on top of eachother and areas are relatively small so environmental conversations are often cut off before they're done.

When you're actually in combat and playing the game, it's great. I genuinely enjoyed the pace of combat especially as you unlock more options. The best combat experience was a post-game sidequest where you refight all the bosses at level 95+. I didn't realize this and wandered in at about 65. I gave it my best and ended up winning but by the skin of my teeth - the last hit I landed was the last hit I could have landed and if it hadn't been a death blow I'd have been done. I used every single resource I had and it was a nail biter but also super fun. I wish the game rode that high a bit more.

I think I'm going to move to Star Ocean The Divine Force since I got it on sale. Any general tips for that game? Things to worry about (or not worry about)?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Star Ocean Divine Force gonna be my first SO game ever. We see how it goes.
The first of my black friday shipments arrived today. FF Crisis Core: Reunion PS5
added that to the backlog pile

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

The biggest sin is that cutscenes and skits will often repeat each other and right on top of eachother. It's not uncommon to take two steps, have a cutscene followed by three skits then two more steps for another cutscene. It just feels haphazard and tedious. The opening of the game has about a dozen conversations in five minutes about how Alphen can't feel things! And Shion has thorns! The skits are oddly stacked on top of eachother and areas are relatively small so environmental conversations are often cut off before they're done.
The game originally didn't have skits, they were added extremely late into development to try and make it 'more tales.' This explains why they just have the 3D models standing around and why 90% of them are just repeating things the plot just established, or very dull explanations of gameplay mechanics.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

The game originally didn't have skits, they were added extremely late into development to try and make it 'more tales.' This explains why they just have the 3D models standing around and why 90% of them are just repeating things the plot just established, or very dull explanations of gameplay mechanics.

Ah, that makes perfect sense why they have no pacing or flow. I feel like Skits were way more important in the older games when you'd be traversing a larger world map between story beats but in a game like Arise where maps are just various sizes of corridors they kind of suck the air out of what little exploration there is. I don't really mind the map design but it didn't seem to flow with the way skits/cutscenes triggered.

I sound like I'm super down on the game, which I'm not, but that's my big takeaway from it. I'd give it a solid 6.5-7/10 overall. There's a lot of polish in other areas but outside of combat, I found the game pretty tedious much of the time.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The battle cycle in Arise was definitely fun, makes regular battles still entertaining since its kind of hype just linking into finishers right after the other to instant kill them non-bosses. Story was okay for me, other game' Tales themes and story were better. And the characters the low point for me. Don't really care much about the cast. Versus imo, the great cast of Berseria, Xillia 1&2, and even the dynamics of Zesteria.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i just want them to show something new already. insanely bitter that it's been like six years since the last tales game i liked and the only new thing we've gotten since arise is a phoned in 30 dollar arise dlc lol

like in the ps3 era these games were definitely rushed out too quickly and too cheaply but please just like... at least show a visual for the next game or something

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 25, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

/waiting for next mainline DQ game

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Colonel posted:

i just want them to show something new already. insanely bitter that it's been like six years since the last tales game i liked and the only new thing we've gotten since arise is a phoned in 30 dollar arise dlc lol

like in the ps3 era these games were definitely rushed out too quickly and too cheaply but please just like... at least show a visual for the next game or something

I'm totally skipping the DLC. Its release got me to play and finish the game I bought at launch, so good on them but my feelings on it are enough I don't think I can take any more of that cast/writing. By the end I was either outright skipping skits or mashing X through cutscenes to just get the gist of what they were saying by reading the subtitles quickly and moving on. I don't think I can take more of that story/cast from a DLC that seems entirely unredeeming.

Alphen's character design was cool and the overall visual design of the world was nice. Oh and fishing was relatively fun. That's what I've taken from this game outside of the really well designed combat mechanics.

e:

GateOfD posted:

/waiting for next mainline DQ game

yeah this

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

i like SRPGs so i just bought it and the dlc for like $16 on Steam. if it's bad, I will come back to the thread to curse you

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Aron was my first shiny other than the free Gyarados. Still got him traded up into the modern games.

Real cute shiny too, like rusted bronze look with copper and grey/green and red eyes instead of silver and black with blue eyes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Tales of Arise managed, even with it's dogshit final acts, to land a little bit because the only part of the man cast I think that was done well was Alphen and Shion's relationship. Everyone else is just kind of there, but they're written at least pretty okay and the ending is nice for them so that's good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kanos posted:

Bloody Armor is a built-in complete cheat code, yes; it's total invulnerability outside of status effects(which can be prevented with accessories).

You could also just pick the formation that blocks all status effects.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i like SRPGs so i just bought it and the dlc for like $16 on Steam. if it's bad, I will come back to the thread to curse you

good luck… troubleshooter gang is immensely powerful. watch as we propel troubleshooter to victory in the labor of love steam award category.

Also make sure to select the company ability that increases mastery drop rates, it’s way better than the others.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I bought it a while ago because Snooze wouldn't shut up about it and I don't regret it at all

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Is Star Ocean: The Last Hope worth picking up on Steam? It's $7. I remember I got it on PS3 when it first came out, but I don't think I got very far and I don't remember anything about it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I couldn't get into troubleshooter because of the messy UI and it throws so many tutorials at ya I just lost interest, but it seems to have some deep mechanics

HellOnEarth posted:

Is Star Ocean: The Last Hope worth picking up on Steam? It's $7. I remember I got it on PS3 when it first came out, but I don't think I got very far and I don't remember anything about it.

It's a ugly, weird game, stuck between two generations of consoles and game design and I kinda dig that about it, but I dunno if I'd recommend it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Aron was my first shiny other than the free Gyarados. Still got him traded up into the modern games.

Real cute shiny too, like rusted bronze look with copper and grey/green and red eyes instead of silver and black with blue eyes.

Jealous! What's his name?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

It has a slow start, just be aware. It might be easy to bounce off of because of that, but at least stick with it until you recruit three party members. They, unfortunately, slowly trickle in, comparatively speaking, and certain large systems and mechanics don't unlock until you get your fifth and sixth character!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Kild posted:

whats your favorite rpg

It's gonna be SaGa Emerald Beyond as soon as it comes out, I've got such high hopes for that gamr hot drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kild posted:

whats your favorite rpg

Thinking about I'm actually probably gonna have to say FF14, the standard mmo stuff is nothing amazing but the group bosses and dungeons are often incredible and I can't think of another game that effected me as much as the story in that has in like the last decade or so at least.