Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
RUSSEL THE DAVIES YOU MAD BASTARD YOU DID IT

WE ARE SO loving BACK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
That was..fantastic.

10 years ago I took my Dad to watch The Day of the Doctor and tonight I rang him to tell him to just watch The Star Beast (he's been waiting to catch up on several series).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tennant fanboying for Pat Mills and Dave Gibbons :allears:

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
A lot of fun silly bollocks, lots of laughs, lots of nice heartfelt stuff, can't really ask for more than that!

A lovely, giddy, loose sense of excitement in this that had been missing for much of Moffat's run and most all of Chibnall's.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Creature posted:

That was big dumb emotional fun which is 100% guaranteed to piss off hateful dickheads. I love it.

Yeah this basically

That was a big silly rusty runaround and I never would've thought I'd be glad to see it again but it's been a poo poo thirteen years!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Creature posted:

That was big dumb emotional fun which is 100% guaranteed to piss off hateful dickheads. I love it.

I already know there's a steam pile of bullshit on Twitter about the pronouns discussion

Edit: lmao oh god I looked and it's so much worse than I thought

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 25, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Creature posted:

:perfect:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress em

Their time is over

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

As a return I thought it did what it needed to do well enough. Big, loud, emotional. The actual plot wasnt great but I enjoyed it anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I love that even with a small clip and a trailer, we still know nothing about the next ep. :allears:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This is some good loving doctor who!!!!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That was some primo RTD poo poo, in mostly the positive senses of that. Just full on nonsense with the technobabble and fixing the ship undoing the cracks in the earth, but who cares because the emotions work, and basically flipping off the usual culture war shitheads by having conspicuous representation that can't be misinterpreted.

Harlock posted:

Yeah there were some references, I just meant it seems like the most peaceful regeneration that's ever happened. No amnesia, or sleepiness, or losing a step. Just a fully formed Doctor right out of the gate.

I think this is down to 3 factors:
1. Metatextual: The audience knows Tennant and RTD clearly wasn't interested in him giving a radically different performance, so there's not much point in going through the dance of 'what will the new Doctor be like'
2. Plot mechanics: The Doctor wasn't travelling with anyone, and by virtue of the narrative Sword of Damocles RTD had set up for Donna, she can't really take point on the sci-fi mystery of the episode as a companion often does in a regeneration story. Sure, Rose might've been able to, but she wasn't really the focus of the story in that way. Therefore it just makes things work smoother if the Doctor can do stuff as normal from the get-go
3. The Watsonian version: It's a pretty easy leap that because this is a form the Doctor's been in before, there's not the usual confusion or settling in process for them. He's just "Oh, this again, i know how this body and brain work, welp, better get on with it, allons-y"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I think the fact he regenerated with clothes and all might suggest this is some weird inter-state or dream version or some poo poo

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Watching Unleashed, and Tennant and Tate are having the time of their lives, it's fantastic.
Guessing this isn't available in the states. :(

I was expecting more from the 60th than just another Who episode, but nothing was ever going to match the 50th, it tied off a really gross loose end in a great way, and gave the finger to transphobes, so I'm going to enjoy this a hell of a lot more when I rewatch it with appropriately adjusted expectations.

It was really great.

The_Doctor posted:

I love that even with a small clip and a trailer, we still know nothing about the next ep. :allears:
Is this available anywhere? Disney+ didn't play it.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was OK I guess, but as per the last few seasons ruined by the audio mix, guess I'm back to watching with subtitles again.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

LividLiquid posted:

Is this available anywhere? Disney+ didn't play it.

youtube's got the trailer at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCvCjCqaKQw

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Loved it! The metacrisis resolution sort of bothered me, because "we can just let it go" feels like a pretty easy solution because it's presented so quickly BUT that's essentially worrying about something that happened on tv in 2008 so I can understand they're solving it in a very quick way.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yannick_B posted:

Loved it! The metacrisis resolution sort of bothered me, because "we can just let it go" feels like a pretty easy solution because it's presented so quickly BUT that's essentially worrying about something that happened on tv in 2008 so I can understand they're solving it in a very quick way.

It was also a very pointed jab towards males who, er, can't let poo poo go

Like so much with Rusty it made emotional sense, and heck, in this context that's fine, that's plenty

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

it was good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That sure was a Russell T. Davies episode of Doctor Who and I am here for it.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/tvukzone/status/1728524588215140571?s=20
After watching it this does not surprise me.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
The behind the scenes on this episode was good. The meep was actually practical, and voiced by Myriam Margoles

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
As soon as I saw Tennant leap through the hole in the brick wall in the steelworks, everything felt right.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Dongicus posted:

it was good.

this

i really enjoyed the feel of this episode. also just saw that clip of first and fifteen in the tardis and that little wink and smile sold me on gatwa immediately

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That was fantastic. Loved it. More of that, please.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor Who is back baby. It's good again. Aouuuuu (wolf howl)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Donna's back :unsmith:

Donna's back :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Star Beast mp4s (click to view)

How do I feel about new Doctor Who?

https://i.imgur.com/lQNzS2Y.mp4

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Honestly, I thought it was a decent but not great episode (however, all hail the Meep!). It's a bit sloppy, a bit too pat in the resolution, and gets kind of clunky. It's the kind of thing that characterized a lot of the Russell T. Davies era. It wasn't a brilliant episode, but it had several great moments that helped carry it. The episode's biggest strength is that after Chibnall and even most of Moffat, this is such an enormous step up.

I think when it was announced that Davies was coming back I said something like, "His highs were rarely as high as the show could be, but his lows were never that low." And that's where this fell for me: good Doctor Who but not an all-time classic.

Genuinely love the Meep, though. Fantastic design in both forms.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, I mean, if I put my critical hat on, it was a sloppy mess, as was approx. 60-70% of RTD's output (as in, what he personally wrote, not when he was running the show)

But it's just nice to see a bit of life back in Who's veins, y'know? Chibnall's era was so flat (at least what I saw of it, anyway). And I really did appreciate that RTD came out of the doors swinging at today's prejudices, just like he did back in 2005. And I personally enjoyed the weird mix between "my god, it's 2008 again, I feel young again, this is just like how I remember" and "we've moved on a lot since then (some of us, anyway), and we aren't gonna be subtle about it either"

If it was all like this I wouldn't be so enthused - I do hope we start seeing some genuinely well-crafted stuff. More Midnights, more Blinks, more End of the Worlds, more Human Natures, etc. And I do want to see something new and daring. If this just winds up being a multi-year nostalgia fest, then it will be a massive step back.

But for now, this will do very nicely

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, I thought it was a decent but not great episode (however, all hail the Meep!). It's a bit sloppy, a bit too pat in the resolution, and gets kind of clunky. It's the kind of thing that characterized a lot of the Russell T. Davies era. It wasn't a brilliant episode, but it had several great moments that helped carry it. The episode's biggest strength is that after Chibnall and even most of Moffat, this is such an enormous step up.

I think when it was announced that Davies was coming back I said something like, "His highs were rarely as high as the show could be, but his lows were never that low." And that's where this fell for me: good Doctor Who but not an all-time classic.

Yeah this is basically where I'm at. It's such a gigantic improvement from Chibnall that it's easy to forget that the shootout scene in the middle takes way too long. It's a pretty good episode, which means it's the best DW episode in 5 years.

It's cool that immediately following the discussion around Davros we immediately get an actor in a wheelchair, and of course the second (?) trans actor we've ever had. Rose is great, it's a shame it looks like she's not in the next one based on the TARDIS loving off. I hope she's back for third special.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I don’t like the breathy acapella over the end theme. Nope, no thank you:

Insane decision, like literally what the gently caress.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Random Stranger posted:

yeah i agree. there's some really stupid dialogue inbetween some really genuinely nice stuff. i think i enjoyed it just because of how much of a breath of fresh air it was compared to previous showrunners. im sure it'll get stupid as hell in its own unique way very quickly.

im also a sucker for all the DO YOU REMEMBER type poo poo cause i grew up watching tennant lol. which im sure was expertly calculated by Disney.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Oh hay, Gremlins and A Bugs Life! That was a fun episode.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEq6KPQsjJE

For those that didn't have access

Edit:

The episode did one important thing for me. Throughout Chibnall's run, I thought I had outgrown Doctor Who and finishing season 13 felt like a a chore at times. After watching this special, I'm so glad that I was wrong and that it was the show that had changed.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 25, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I got Disney+ was this intro shown on the BBC or does Disney assume we're stupid Americans who have never watched the show?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Dongicus posted:

there's some really stupid dialogue inbetween some really genuinely nice stuff.

This is just how I remember the RTD era in general to be fair and I'm ok with it

jisforjosh posted:

The episode did one important thing for me. Throughout Chibnall's run, I thought I had outgrown Doctor Who and finishing season 13 felt like a a chore at times. After watching this special, I'm so glad that I was wrong and that it was the show that had changed.

I fell off before Chibnall and haven't watched his seasons but yeah this 100%

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The intro with Fourteen and Donna recapping the important bits from fifteen years ago? That was there on the BBC.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dabir posted:

The intro with Fourteen and Donna recapping the important bits from fifteen years ago? That was there on the BBC.

Ah ok cause the Matt Smith years had that dumb intro in the United States.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Random Stranger posted:

I'm kinda more excited for RTD the show runner than RTD the writer for this reason. His plots do tend to be kinda clunky, but good lord the guy can create really great, really authentic feeling characters and relationships, and the show is historically at it's absolute best when someone who is better that plots then has those characters to play with. And it's not like his plots are bad, just a bit clunky at times.

Like, just the relationship with Sylvia and Donna in this episode. How their relationship has grown and moved on so much since and there's warmth and love but still that little spark of antagonism is still buried in there that they both have to work around, just like most real family relationships usually have that little sore spot you just try to never poke. Moffatt just made all his characters magic orphans so he didn't have to deal with any of that, and I think that was a loss.

Chibnall of course kept throwing middle aged men into the Tardis instead. Write what you know, I guess. The Doctor is real, and she's your friend, and any day now you'll go on adventures together. Keep dreaming the dream mate.

I was wondering going in why a trans woman, who I assume picked her own new name when she transitioned, would have ended up being called Rose. But that's the inherited Metacrisis acting on her subconscious. Nice. Clever piece of foreshadowing, that!

I hope we get more of badass unit science lady and her rocket launcher inspector gadget wheelchair. She owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mooseontheloose posted:

I got Disney+ was this intro shown on the BBC or does Disney assume we're stupid Americans who have never watched the show?

Yeah, I will say that’s the only part that felt…off, to me. Like, the next Doctor will likely be the new jumping on point, this is an anniversary special. We should all know who Donna is. But it has been a while since Donna, so maybe not.

But even if you started with Matt Smith, you probably went back and watched Tennant. Like I did.